Non-motoring > Funeral arrangements Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 102

Funeral arrangements - legacylad
Rather a dark topic so apologies.
My elderly aunt in the nursing home was taken to hospital ( again) yesterday with a chest infection, discharged after several hours on oxygen and given strong antibiotics and other meds. My brother had a chat with the doc and she is on very borrowed time now. Unfortunately I've been confined to barracks all week with lurgy ( my immune system collapsed several years ago leaving me susceptible to nasties) and unfit to drive. Constant coughing, retching all night, and general lousiness & exhaustion.
My bro goes on holiday next week until Feb so I could be in charge of arrangements. Any advice please to make things easier when the time comes? It will be a cremation, with probably less than ten people present. I think her will is in her flat, which has been empty since early '16, so hopefully I can find her instructions in there when fit enough to vacate my prison.
 Funeral arrangements - CGNorwich
Your funeral director will sort out everything for you so you don't need to worry too much. Just be aware that that these things seem to take a lot longer now to arrange than they used to. The last two I have been to the serviice was over two weeks after the date of death.
 Funeral arrangements - Duncan
What is your first concern? Cost or top notch service? Or a compromise?

At the risk of stating the BO, how much you/she will pay depends what you want the funeral directors to do.

Is the funeral in Settle? There only appears to be two undertakers in Settle:-

tinyurl.com/j3xamhw

If you don't need cars to take everyone to the crem., that can save quite a bit. Call in and have a chat - sorry, you aren't well, are you? Ring them up and have a chat about costs and various arrangements.

If you have the service at the chapel in the crematorium, that will be quicker and more efficient. The wake? Where will that be? Would your aunt like a preacher, a humanist celebrant, or a not too close friend who could act as MC, without getting too emotional?
Last edited by: Duncan on Fri 13 Jan 17 at 14:29
 Funeral arrangements - Crankcase
Am I right in thinking that if you actually instruct the funeral directors, you become the executor, like it or not? Or is that baloney?
 Funeral arrangements - Stroudie
Even if your Aunt does not die imminently it would be a good idea to find her will soon and see who the named executors are.
Try to choose a funeral director after asking them about costs.
They are invariably very sympathetic and helpful in our experience.
They will make suggestions about the service, celebrant ( and know secular celebrants as well as clergy),coffin, cars, etc.
Don't be pressured.
Unfortunately we have had to arrange several funerals in the last 12 years, and you learn as you go along.
We now do a lovely arrangement.
Ask family members if they want to speak, or delegate their prepared speech if they would be upset.
Choose music and take CDs with notes of tracks to the funeral director.
They will help you make up an order of service.
On a practical level the funeral director will remove a body to their chapel of rest.
You ( or someone) has to register the death.
Depending on the number of assets, eg savings accounts held by the deceased it is a good idea to obtain a number of copies of the death certificate at the time of registration as it makes it quicker to call in assets rather than wait for return of a certificate.
There is a good service at the Registrar called "Tell me once"-you can find what to take by Googling it, or the funeral director may have info.
Take NI no, Driving Licence, etc and the Registrar communicates with all concerned.
If a solicitor is an executor, but also family members I would recommend obtaining Probate yourself, as solicitors tend to take ages, you will pay!!, and we even had one demanding a percentage of the estate.
Make lists of jobs to do, when certificates were sent to ABC building Soc, etc, and keep reviewing it.
In the upsetting aftermath it is easy to forget where you are in the organisation of it all.
If there is more than one family member executor one can take control, and the others "reserve powers" in case they need to take over if a hash is being made of it.
Probate forms can be downloaded off the net, and the guidance notes are comprehensive.
We filled them in bit at a time as we collected assets.
You will have to send the probate forms to your nearest office-the probate forms give you lists of them.
You have to attend an interview to have probate confirmed and obtain extra copies to send off as with the death certificates.
If there is a property to sell that's all you need a solicitor for.
Open an Executor account at the deceased's bank, but do not expect good service.
We have had problems with this aspect.
Finally there is the task of clearing belongings, clothes, furniture,etc.
This can be quite cathartic, especially if you can give things away.
Freecycle is very good.
It was satisfying to give away my father's and FIL's tools to people who were going to appreciate them.
Please accept my sympathy.
Your aunt may well recover at least in the short term, but when the inevitable does happen, if you know what to do, it can be comforting to give her a well-organised and moving send off.
It seems to me to be the most respectful act you can do at the end.

Funeral arrangements - Pat
What a helpful and thoughtful post.

Pat
 Funeral arrangements - John Boy
>> What a helpful and thoughtful post.

Absolutely. Thanks very much.
 Funeral arrangements - Mapmaker
>>If there is a property to sell that's all you need a solicitor for.

Just to do the conveyancing.

You will find that you will feel it seems like this is the first death ever to be reported. Many institutions (banks, insurance companies, etc. etc. ) will not know how to cope with it.
 Funeral arrangements - Falkirk Bairn
>>Many institutions (banks, insurance companies, etc. etc. ) will not know how to cope with it.

If only that were true. MiL died 5 yrs ago

Virgin sent a letter asking why she was leaving. Sent Cheques for refunds in the name of the deceased. Would not pay to my Bank # account despite that was where they had taken money for years.

Council dept issued a refund, 2 other council depts asked for money.

Insurance company wanted a will despite the elderly lady being "of modest means" - they got the cheques wrong.

Bank had issues as her Birth Cert said Jane & she signed everything Jean - it took weeks.
Electricty Board could not get a final bill - they had 3 attempts then gave up EXCEPT I wanted the £40 overpayment they took from my Bank Acct as surety for the account.

I am not alone in the struggle to sort out the estate of someone of modest means.
 Funeral arrangements - BrianByPass
>> >>Many institutions (banks, insurance companies, etc. etc. ) will not know how to cope with
>> it.
>>
>> If only that were true. MiL died 5 yrs ago
>> etc.

I think that's what Crankcase meant by "will not know"?
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Fri 13 Jan 17 at 17:24
>> You ( or someone) has to register the death.

Take care to register details to match birth certificate and/or passport. Note that you'll be asked for the names of the parents of the deceased.
 Funeral arrangements - Zero
>> >> You ( or someone) has to register the death.
>>
>> Take care to register details to match birth certificate and/or passport. Note that you'll be
>> asked for the names of the parents of the deceased.

Yes, take the deceased birth certificate with you when you register, and any marriage certificate. Get several copies of the death certificate as most finance, banks and pension providers need to see originals not photocopies.

Funeral arrangements - R.P.
Friendly banks (and there still are some) will copy Death Certificates and certify them for you if you ask nicely.
>> Friendly banks (and there still are some) will copy Death Certificates and certify them for
>> you if you ask nicely.

They need to see sight of the original. This can be in the branch, where they will copy it and certify they did it from an original, then dispatch it off to the HO bereavement team.

Finding a branch is becoming the hard part!
 Funeral arrangements - Cliff Pope
There is no such thing as an "original" certificate. The only original thing is the official entry in the book. Everything else is a copy of that entry.
The registrar gives certified copies of that entry, and any licensed person such as solicitor (or I think IFA or bank) can give a certified copy of a registrar's copy.

They are all photocopies or print-outs in some form or other - it's the authenticating stamp and signature of the registrar, solicitor etc that makes it a certified copy.
I've never found any problem with having any of these properly certified copies accepted.
I meant a photocopy, you know I meant a photocopy, the bank or IFA will not go and obtain a certified copy because they cost money., so cut out the useless unhelpful nitpicking and try and provide some useful input.

Thanks for that very helpful post. The 98 yo aunt has no family, aside from two nephews, of which I am one, and my 89 yo mum. I can only think of two friends, plus any neighbours in her flats who might want to attend. I shall laminate an A4 sheet and affix on the entrance doors so they can attend the send off. Highly unlikely for various reasons, although I could be surprised.
I shall ask my bruv to dig out her will, but I'm pretty sure we are the executors. She was religious and might want a church service, although she hadn't attended for twenty years.
The flat could be turned into a fifties & sixties museum. Beamish Museum will be offered some of the tinned goods ( seriously) but the charity shops probably don't want manky fur stoles reeking of moth balls.
If she hangs on a few more weeks I'll be in Spain until March, and my brother & I have an arrangement that whoever is around sorts it. Oh joy.
 Funeral arrangements - rtj70
>> She was religious and might want a church service

Was there a church she used to attend? The minister could do a service at the chapel at the crematorium.

For my mother in law, we wanted to keep the actual service/committal for close family only. So we did the crematorium first and then to the church (without the coffin) for the main church service. MiL and FiL were keen church goers. Might sound odd to some but that's what we wanted. Food then laid on (buffet style) at the church.

To cut costs (not that we needed to) we didn't use funeral director cars for the family. We also used the church's usual caterer for the food and drinks.

The funeral director collected ashes for us and we collected from them sometime later. Considering the cost of cremation I was surprised the ashes are handed over in a sealed plastic bad in a plain box! No urn. We scattered the ashes so funeral directors transferred them to a suitable container for us to scatter.

I can't recall the total cost accurately (just over 2 years ago) but the funeral directors collected MiL from the morgue, dressed her and took her to the crematorium, we had a hearse and they brought the main flowers back to the church for the service and then collected the ashes... total was around £3k approx.
 Funeral arrangements - MD
I supported my Wife during the passing of her Mother some 18 months ago. It was a traumatic final 4 days. Everyone was excellent.

Your post Stroudie, was one of the most intelligent and helpful that I have seen about anything anywhere.

Regards, MD.
>
>> Open an Executor account at the deceased's bank, but do not expect good service.
>> We have had problems with this aspect.

Not my experience. I had to deal with 4 different banks, and only one was in any way "difficult" the other three willing to release funds (even large amounts up to 30k) upon sight of the death certificate and signing an indemnity waiver. The key thing is to contact the banks bereavement team (they all have one), get them involved and make appointments in person at the banks concerned.

>> Finally there is the task of clearing belongings, clothes, furniture,etc.
>> This can be quite cathartic, especially if you can give things away.

Yes. I chose to give my mothers personal jewellery and similar items of worth to the Hospice she spent her last days, and I am engaging the British Heart Foundation to do the house clearance. They will charge, but at least you know saleable items will go to a good cause and not some totters pocket.
>> I am engaging the British Heart Foundation
>> to do the house clearance. They will charge, but at least you know saleable items
>> will go to a good cause and not some totters pocket.
>>

I didn't know they did that. Very useful to know.

www.bhf.org.uk/shop/donating-goods/house-clearance
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 14 Jan 17 at 21:11
My mother died on 13th October last year.
She went from still driving in July, to sudden and extreme vascular dementia (with all the classic distressing symptoms and results), due to congestive heart failure (a result of long term diabetes)

I had the added pressure of my Vacation in Cuba booked for the 30th October.

A good funeral director will be your best friend. They will provide you with all the information you need, and will guide you step by step through the process including things like registering the death, the cremation options, and where to register the death. The funeral took place on the 27th October and was a cremation, Hearse and two limos, a non denomination "service" led by a celebrant, followed by a wake at a nearby country park hotel for the 50 attendees. Total cost 7k.

The main steps you need to get in place *now* are

1/ The finance - I got my mum to pre sign some cheques while she was still capable, and from these I pre paid her funeral two days before her death. You are going to need access to about 3-5k
Those costs can be reclaimed from her estate. It helps that many banks will release the deceased's funds to pay for the funeral, upon presentation of the death certificate without the need for probate.

2/ Her contacts. This was my biggest headache, finding out who, and how to contact those (family and long lost friends) who needed to know and who may wish to attend.

3/ Her wishes. Where is the will, what kind of service does she want, any commemoration tree, plaque, entry

Decide now how many death certificates you will need, because to be honest the hard work starts after the death.

If you need help when the time comes drop me a mail, know.wun@hotmail.co.uk and I'll give you my telephone number.

As it happens I got probate granted this week. So i can help you with all that stuff as well, all based on my recent experience.

>> Decide now how many death certificates you will need, because to be honest the hard work starts after the death.

It's certainly cheaper/easier to get extra copies when getting the death registered. You might have to post some off so having extras means you don't need to wait for them to be returned. We got too many to be honest. Not that we got many.

Since my father in law is still alive, it's a bit different. But Barclays is their bank and mine and so sorting some of the joint account out and closing her ISA with them was easy. I now have joint access to his account. Still not sorted power of attorney though.

>> her ISA with them was easy. I now have joint access to his account. Still
>> not sorted power of attorney though.

Easy enough to do now, a real pain to do when the donor is mentally or physically incapable, so do it now while you can.
Ditto all of Zed's posts. Excellent. Hope you are well.
It's on the list. I've even filled in the online stuff up to the point of needing the witnesses etc. Was going to do for health and finances.

Held off because of the anniversary of mother in laws death etc. He's a frail guy if we're honest but in very good health for almost 85. Heart attack in October too.

Money wise if my gamble of delaying goes wrong, not such a big deal. Thankfully have access to our own money too which we count our blessings for. Nice to have savings. Many do not.
Health not needed, and not worth the extra cost or agro. I even managed to get a DNR in place with the medical teams with no health poa
I welcome the feedback. He's got Parkinson's (only discovered when in hospital for the heart attack). We didn't know. Some symptoms now fall into place I suppose.
 Funeral arrangements - Bromptonaut
>> Health not needed, and not worth the extra cost or agro. I even managed to
>> get a DNR in place with the medical teams with no health poa

I'd agree it's not usually necessary to do the Health/Welfare thing in what's clearly an end of life scenario (may be exception though where there a family squabbles).

Different if your relative has a long term degenerative condition and decisions need to be made about residence long term care etc. In that case I'd recommend professional advice, or at least some well informed reading, and full discussion with potential LPA donor and rest of family etc.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 14 Jan 17 at 10:14
>> >
>>
>> Different if your relative has a long term degenerative condition and decisions need to be
>> made about residence long term care etc.

That's where my wife and I are held up in arranging our own affairs. The imagined problem scenario is whether to turn a support machine off, or to hold out for a miracle recovery.
My wish would be to turn the thing off and get it over with at the earliest legal moment, and if my wife can wave a LPA at the hospital and throw the switch that's fine by me.

But I'm not sure just how much power a LPA does actually give. It obviously can't convey the power to do exactly what I might do my self - eg pull all the wires out while the nurse is out of the room.

Sorry - may be this is unseemly thread drift. I'm turning into AC.
Thanks Zero. That is kind of you.
I should have most bases covered. Her only two friends who visit are aware of her failing health, and I have made a list of other distant relatives to contact. Her financial situation will doubtless be complicated, with probably dozens of small accounts here & there, shareholdings etc although she is quite poor financially and nursing home costs these past 9 months have almost wiped out her capital.
Her ex IFA was a neighbour of hers and acquaintance of mine who, despite being retired, should be up to speed with her myriad of small 'investments'. My best pal is a solicitor, so he could be a useful contact.
My brother has just visited the old girl and she is barely there.... consequently I've spoken to a local Funeral Director, gone through her final wishes in her will over the phone and making pre funeral arrangement. Church service, cremation, meal. Executors in place ( my bro and I ) although he is out of the country for two weeks in the immediate future.
It seems better to have a list of actions to be completed beforehand
Sadly it appears she won't make her 99th, although that is almost double what her brother ( my Father) made, so a good innings. I've done a heck of a lot for her as well, weekly visits, long drives out in the country with roof down on sunny days even in her 90s, taken her on weekends away with my Mum up to a few years ago, so no guilty feelings at all.
>> so no guilty feelings at all. <<

Neither should you have LL

She's been a very lucky lady to have family who care and make time to make her happy, and it's plain to see you've done so much of that.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 16:00
The good thing is it's never been a chore. I've always enjoyed driving around my quiet part of the world, and 70/100 mile pleasurable drives taking in Ilkley Moor, Bolton Abbey, farmhouse teas and ice creams on a summers day were something we both enjoyed hugely. Not bad in your 90s!
Even up to a few weeks ago I would wheel chair her to my car, then take her to Asda, after which, if she had the strength, a rural drive out to Wetherby, Harrogate and return via the southern Dales was always on the cards.
Hope someone looks after me like that, but not sure I want to live to be that old.
Strange thing is, I was heartbroken when my terrier was put down at Christmas, and there is still a huge hole in my life which he has left. With elderly Aunt, I feel very little emotion at all.
Pets eh
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 16:14
Don't feel guilty about that LL, for some of us it is quite normal.

I tend to find animals have a far nicer nature and are kinder to me than most human beings.

Pat
 Funeral arrangements - Focal Point
You have done well, LL.
I have remembered with much grinning, your tales of taking the relatives out and about in the 330. (Sorry didn't mean to mention that). I'm not going to estimate for how long you have talked about this, but you are to be congratulated for your kindness and empathy.

As for the feelings regarding the dog and human relatives: Most people I know I think would feel the same way. It may seem strange, but that's how it is. Peace and Good Ale to you my friend.
In any particular order MD?
All sentiments much appreciated. Thank you
Re the 330. My nephew, who bought it, has a 4 month posting to the Falklands this summer, so I may get behind the wheel over the summer months. Stranger things have happened.
Is he going to PPPPPPPP Pick up a Penguin?

Anyone remember that Ad?
I never asked him about those tendencies at his wedding last week. No marine mammals were mentioned during the Best Mans speech.
Took my 89yo Mum to visit her last Saturday. Sadly the days of taking her out for long drives in my car are now over, no more cream teas at Bolton Abbey, ice creams looking North over Wharfedale from the Cow & Calf Rocks.
She loved our long drives out, as did I, and without wishing to sound in the least bit mercenary, I'm sure she would approve of me spending some of her bequest on a nice motor.
RIP Auntie....
>> RIP Auntie....

You looked after her. You got rid of the car you so liked so you could continue to take your mum and her out. What a good nephew you were.

From a RFL perspective and wanting a nice car... maybe a BMW inline 6 diesel turbo.... ;-)

Do here proud and enjoy the money coming your way. She would want that.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 24 Jan 17 at 00:57

>> the least bit mercenary, I'm sure she would approve of me spending some of her
>> bequest on a nice motor.

I can assure you, were she able, my mother would love to come back, berate me loudly, at length and try and kick my ass up and down the street, if she knew I was spending my inheritance on a new Volvo V90.
>>on a new Volvo V90<<

That's not fair, gonna sulk now:)

Pat

>> I can assure you, were she able, my mother would love to come back, berate
>> me loudly, at length and try and kick my ass up and down the street,
>> if she knew I was spending my inheritance on a new Volvo V90.

I might just come round your house and do it on her behalf.

Good luck.
In addition to her Will, my Aunt left a 'Letter of wishes to my Trustees'. Which is me. This is non-binding, so leaves me in a bit of a quandary. Obviously I shall respect her bequests to the charities, but there are several other equal value bequests to individuals, some of whom I have never heard of, and have not been seen by my Aunt or been in contract for 15+ years.
OTOH a few individuals, have been excellent friends in her later years, visiting her in the nursing home at least once a week, visiting her flat and taking her washing away, returning it ironed. One particular person is poor financially, , but rich in humanity, and a half decent bequest would seriously help her situation.
Does the Forum think it unethical of me to alter these bequests at my discretion, seeing as they are non binding?
Not at all.
>> Not at all.

Second that, and I was in the same boat as you, with respect to a "wishes" letter and I interpreted it as much as I thought prudent or practical based on current knowledge.
 Funeral arrangements - Manatee
How old is the will?

If it is clearly outdated (as in some of the beneficiaries have died, and/or you know her relationships with them had changed substantially since she made the will, and/or other good friends have come on to the scene who you think she would have wished to include etc) then That would not be unreasonable.

In other words, what do you think she might have wanted you to do?

In a different, non-personal context I have to deal with pension trustee discretions. The trustee has complete discretion, but we do pay heed to the "Expression of Wish" (EoW) if there is one, the provisions of any will, and other information that we glean from information provided by (usually) the family. There is often an EoW in favour of a subsequently divorced spouse; we would take account of any remaining financial dependency before departing from the wishes. Where there is an EoW in favour of a child or children, and other children have been been born after the date of the EoW I would usually want to give them an equal share.

I suppose the test I apply to myself (although the trustee is virtually fireproof) is whether I would be able and happy to explain why I had made the decision I had and why it might have seemed reasonable to the deceased member.

In a personal situation such as yours, and if the will is recent, the you might also think that your aunt's state of mind has a bearing - i.e. was her judgement OK?

I suspect that all of the above reflects the way you are already thinking.

None of the above is legal advice of course - no doubt it has been explained to you how the will and the letter of wishes work together. I assume that the whole point of it's being a letter of "wishes" is to allow you discretion.
Both the Will & 'Letter of wishes to my Trustees' date from 2013, which is why I am surprised at the inclusion of various parties. I think the L of W was a 'carry over' from a previous one, with no amendments, and as she was 95yo at the time her mental faculties were not in their prime.

Plenty of time to sort the matter in the next few months, discuss it with my brother ( co executor & Trustee) together with 101 other things to attend to.

No takers yet for the mothball infused fur stoals.....

>> No takers yet for the mothball infused fur stoals.....

I still can't get rid of the smell of blue grass...........
It's what I would do.

Pat
One further thing...my Aunt had several investments, and her IFA, who also advises me, has supplied an up to date valuation. These, together with her property and other assets, takes her above the current IHT limit.
Her husband died 29/10/1989 and the IFA thinks that it may be possible to use his IHT limit so that no tax will be payable. Her total assets are well below £650k!!
Any ideas where I can get a definitive answer to this please without consulting a specialist solicitor?
Thanks
>> One further thing...my Aunt had several investments, and her IFA, who also advises me, has
>> supplied an up to date valuation. These, together with her property and other assets, takes
>> her above the current IHT limit.
>> Her husband died 29/10/1989 and the IFA thinks that it may be possible to use
>> his IHT limit so that no tax will be payable. Her total assets are well
>> below £650k!!
>> Any ideas where I can get a definitive answer to this please without consulting a
>> specialist solicitor?
>> Thanks

I can answer that precisely, having just sorted out IHT and probate.

Your IFA is correct. There is no IHT payable between husband and wife, so 100% of the IHT allowance was untouched. This % of allowance is carried over and applied to the current rate, in affect doubling the limit where IHT is paid.

In my case my father died in 1983, everything was passed to my mother and the then current allowance was untouched. This 100% unused was applied to my mothers estate on passing and doubled the limit to 650k.. Which was just as well or I was facing a bill of 60k. So I filled in two forms (give you the numbers later) attached them to probate application and bingo.
Mine won't be so simple - well, it will but we won't get the IHT carry over thing, as best as I can tell. My dad died in 1973, when it was still Estate Duty, and he used all the (15k) allowance up then. So for my mum, her house alone will hit the IHT threshold, never mind anything else.

Funeral arrangements - tyrednemotional
AIUI, the date of her husband's death is irrelevant.

Post the 2007 ruling (which was backdated to cover pre-deceased partners) the unused portion of the partners (marriage or civil partnership) IHT allowance can be passed on.

My f-i-l died not long after the date relevant to you (and well before 2007), and his allowance was used to avoid IHT on my m-i-l's final estate.

What you *will* need is a copy of the older will, or a record of the disposal of the estate at that time, as it is the *unused* portion of the allowance that can be passed forward and you will need some proof of what that is (and an inheritance passed to a partner is exempt, meaning that if this happened, as is usual, a large portion of the £325K allowance is still available).

I'm pretty sure the info will be on a government site somewhere, but I can't find a simple explanation with a very quick search)
Most informative.
As my Uncle died in 1989 neither my IFA nor myself knew whether his IHT allowance was still valid, so at the moment it appears that no IHT will be payable.
Unless we find other assets in the fullness of time...P Bonds, share certificates, old bank accounts.
Thanks again one and all
 Funeral arrangements - tyrednemotional
...not an official Gov source, but this gives a good overview that should both confirm and help:

theprobatedepartment.co.uk/iht/transferable-nil-rate-band/
Simple explanation is right! I'm struggling with this:

Broadly, the exemption applies if Estate Duty was paid, or was deemed to have been paid, (IHTM04452) on the death of the first of the spouses to die. Then, provided that all the necessary criteria are met (for example, that the property continued to be settled property (IHTM04456) and that the surviving spouse was not competant to dispose (IHTM04457) of it), the trust property is left out of account (IHTM04331) on the death of the surviving spouse or on the termination of their interest in possession in it, IHTA84/SCH6/PARA2.

From

www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/inheritance-tax-manual/ihtm04343

Hmm. I think that might mean she can have two chunks of 325k. Or it might mean she can't. Or perhaps, as he left 27k, paid Estate duty of a two or three thousand and 15k was the limit, she can have some. Or perhaps not. Maybe. Or this is irrelevant and I'm looking at the wrong thing.

I think when it comes to it I shall have to ask a professional. Or the internet, whichever is cheapest.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 27 Jan 17 at 14:17

On the death of the first spouse (S1), establish the proportion of unused nil-rate band. Only legacies left to people who are not their spouse would use up nil-rate band.

On the death of the second spouse (S2), S2 is entitled to their own nil-rate band, plus the proportion of a second nil-rate band equal to the proportion of nil-rate band not utilised on the death of S1.

This also applies to Estate Duty and Capital Transfer Tax nil-rate bands if S1 died before 1985 when IHT came in.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-inheritance-tax-thresholds/inheritance-tax-thresholds

So if S1 died in August 1987, when the nil rate band was £90,000, and left £9,000 to, say, their child or friend, they used up 10% of the nil rate band.

If S2 died in 2016, when the nil rate band was £325,000, they are entitled to their own nil rate band, plus 90% of a second nil-rate band - i.e. 292,500. Total £617,500.

So whilst Zero *might* be correct, you need to establish what legacies husband left to third parties that would have eaten into his own nil-rate band. Any gifts in the seven (or even, in certain circumstances if e.g. trusts are involved fourteen) years before death would also have to be brought into account.

Tyrednemotional is wrong to say tht the date of her husband's death is irrelevant as you need to find out what porportion of the nil-rate band was not used, and to do that you need to know the date.

Crankcase is out of luck I am afraid. The nil-rate band was £15,000 and there was no spouse exemption at the time. As the estate was £27,000 the entirety of the nil-rate band was used up at that point; there is therefore nothing unused in 1970 to transfer. As HMRC said, as a matter of policy you can't really get too worried about something that happened 30 years ago.

www.taxation.co.uk/articles/2010/01/20/19855/nil-rate-band-problem
I think I had come to that conclusion in my case, but that was very useful, Mapmaker. Many thanks for that.
What would we do without this website... I learned something too in writing that, IHT is something I only do for fun.

I think however, on re-reading your post above I may have answered a completely different question from the one you asked. Your link was to a page on estate duty surviving spouse exemption. This is a provision that (I had not heard of before starting to write this paragraph and) would relate to an interest in possession trust if one was created on your father's death. Such a trust would be excluded from your mother's estate for calculating the IHT liability on her death.

(The exclusion from her IHTable estate applies provided the conditions you state have continued to apply throughout her lifetime, which broadly seems to be that it really was an interest in possession trust and she never had the right to the capital. If anybody understands trusts better than I do then please correct me if I'm drifting away too far from accuracy.)
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 27 Jan 17 at 16:30
Very useful Mapmaker. Thanks. I hope I don't need to use this info any time soon.

>> So whilst Zero *might* be correct, you need to establish what legacies husband left to
>> third parties that would have eaten into his own nil-rate band.

I was fortunate to have a copy of my fathers will, and the letters of administration (probate) to backup the assertion that 100% of the total estate passed from husband to wife, and therefore 100% of the allowance was unused and was passed on upon my mothers death.
I'm sure you know about your own position, it was your unequivocal statement that LL could apply 100% of his aunt's husband's nil-rate band that needed a little clarification. The following statement is only true if there was no use of the nil-rate band on the first death.

>>Your IFA is correct. There is no IHT payable between husband and wife, so 100% of the
>>IHT allowance was untouched.
Hmmmm... thanks for all the info. Her flat is both overstuffed with 'stuff' and very dated....several drawers literally full of paperwork. Who knows what we shall find buried away.
Maybe in the fullness of time I might discover my late Uncles will, but doubtless can obtain a copy.
I have arranged valuations early next week for her small flat, necessary for probate purposes I believe. My brother and I then need to discuss whether it's worth investing time & money bringing it into the 21st Century from the 1970s, prior to marketing it. I've spoken to the agent who manages the block of flats, several conditions apply so best being aware of those.
Think I need an early doors beer!
I don't think you do need a valuation. If - as seems to be your case from what you have said - the value of the estate is below the nil-rate band (or twice the nil-rate band if you can transfer a spouse's nil-rate band) then it is an 'excepted estate' and simplified arrangements apply. So no full professional valuation should be required and an estimate will be fine - use an estate agent's guesstimate if you prefer. (If the estate including the flat takes you roughly to the £650k then possibly worth getting a formal valuation to avoid awkward discussions with HMRC later.) See page 35: www.simplify.co.uk/pdf/simplifydiyguide.pdf

I'm sure you're aware that if you refurbish the flat and thus make a profit on it then this will be a capital gain for you and your brother and subject to CGT if in excess of your annual exemption of £11,100 each (assuming no other profits).

If the estate falls entirely within the nil rate band then whatever you receive is free of IHT.

So if you think the profit on your refurbishment will exceed £22k then you should probably get a formal valuation. The valuer will imagine you want a 'probate valuation' which is likely to be at the lower end of expectations; you might prefer a higher valuation as it will reduce your CGT charge. (A valuation will inevitably be in a range, the valuer can therefore be encouraged where within that range to put his valuation.)

Of course, all valuations would be subject to discussion with HMRC afterwards and argument with the district valuer. But if you have a formal valuation from a surveyor you cannot be accused of negligence by HMRC.
An extremely positive post Mapmaker. Very professional.
Many thanks for that informative post Mapmaker. Funeral arrangements finalised today... crem, church service etc. Just got my eulogy to write!
The agent who handles the flats... maintenance contracts etc has put me in touch with some local recommended estate agents, and I had a fruitful meeting with one today. The flats are occupied by 'elderly' people, who, I'm led to believe, prefer a walk in and drop your bags property. Spending £10k refurbing the bathroom, kitchen, flooring & lighting would add £15k in value. More importantly it would make the flat far more saleable, and I have the time to organise it and be hands on. It's not an expensive flat, but desirable with larger than average footprint.
More worrying is the loss of Aunts wedding ring and a small pouch she always wore around her neck containing money and her debit card. Both disappeared from her room, and I'm unable to check her bank account. I have access to her bank statements in her flat, know her PIN ( it was written on the envelope containing her debit card) but I don't want her bank to find out about her passing just yet. I really need to find out if there are any fraudulent transactions....
My condolences LegacyLad. I've followed your posting and knew she didn't have long but missed you posting she had sadly passed.

Was the bank card with her in hospital (with PIN on the envelope) or was this in the flat? If there's some money in there surely it's a good idea to stop the account.
Her debit card was always in a small pouch she wore around her neck. This was in the nursing home. She didn't return to her flat for the last 4 weeks of her life. Tomorrow I'm thinking of visiting my local branch of her bank, take some ID and the Power of Attorney, request a new card and try to obtain a current statement.
I was hoping that my bro had taken her card for safekeeping when he visited her before going on holiday. He hadn't when I communicated with him this evening... he returns to the uk in 3 days.
And there was a substantial sum in her current account. Well into 5 figures, but as I said, until this evening, I thought he had her card in safe keeping somewhere.
I truly hope this pouch has simply got lost somewhere, but when I emptied her room at the nursing home I went over it with a fine tooth comb.
It's a worry
Barclays were excellent for me but the difference was my FiL was the surviving spouse and I also banked with them. But we sorted lots out with me without him ever visiting branch. We then had me with access to his account(s). I can switch to him in my Barclays login.

It is a worry if her bank card was with her and now vanished. I hope you get the card cancelled tonight or tomorrow. If it then turns up so what.

>> I truly hope this pouch has simply got lost somewhere, but when I emptied her room... It's a worry

What did the home say? Regardless cancel the card(s).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 31 Jan 17 at 00:21
 Funeral arrangements - mikeyb
LL - perhaps I'm missing something, but why are you reluctant to tell the bank just yet? When my mother died HSBC were very helpful - they froze her accounts, but were happy to pay the funeral costs direct from her account with me just presenting them with the bill.

Sadly there are some unscrupulous people about who would think nothing of taking advantage so I ould be wanting the card stopped ASAP
 Funeral arrangements - Manatee
I can't think of any good reason not to tell the bank that the accountholder is deceased. I suppose it might be convenient if one or two direct debits go through for bills, but the DDs will need to be stopped anyway.

If there has been fraud, the bank would have an argument available that you (LL) have failed to mitigate the loss as they would not have allowed withdrawals for a 'deceased' account. Pperhaps they would not use it as they are usually fairly sensitive about bereavement, but best to tell them I would have thought.

You can't do much about the omission to date, but best do it by the book from here if there is any possibility of fraud.
You need to tell them ASAP.
If she wrote the PIN on the the card holder/pouch, then the Bank likely won't pay for losses before you ask them put a stop to the account.

Do it NOW!
>> If she wrote the PIN on the the card holder/pouch, then NOW YOU'VE TOLD THE INTERNET the Bank likely won't
>> pay for losses before you ask them put a stop to the account.
>> NOW YOU'VE TOLD THE INTERNET the Bank likely won't
>> pay

Even if he hadn't told the internet, he was going to be truthful with the bank, wasn't he? ;-)
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Tue 31 Jan 17 at 12:07
I only found out last night that my bro had not taken her debit card card for safe keeping before he went on holiday. As he lived very close to the old girl he popped in several times a week and was 'in charge' of getting money from the ATM to pay for services.... hearing aid batteries, hairdresser, chiropodist, church donations after receiving Communion etc
I stopped the card first thing this morning and there appear to have been no cash withdrawals since 3/01/17. Unfortunately my P of A is not registered with the bank and there was nobody in Branch available to do it. An up to date statement is being posted to her flat today, so I'll check it in a few days.
It's a complete mystery where her pouch, containing money and debit card has gone. I've been told exactly where it should have been, but no sign of it anywhere. I'll delegate that sensitive matter to my bro as he deals with all the Nursing Home payments.
Thanks for the advice
 Funeral arrangements - mikeyb
No withdrawals for a while is good news - it probably means it just genuinely lost rather than anything sinister.

Any chance your brother took it when he went away?
 Funeral arrangements - Bromptonaut
You really need to advise the bank of death and give them death certificate.

POA ceases to be valid immediately on death.

www.gov.uk/lasting-power-attorney-duties/stop-attorney

www.caring.com/questions/power-of-attorney-after-death

Gov link refers to a Lasting Power but same principle applies old EPA and a general power.

While it may be unlikely the Bank would make an issue it's a practice best avoided.
Banks will usually make a payment DIRECTLY to Funeral Director for all costs related to the burial/cremation.

They will do this with funds already in their possession & saves the executor from digging into their own funds & then have to wait on reimbursement once probate is granted.
Update.
The early AM crem service for family went smoothly, and the following church service was well attended by (very) elderly friends from way back. Bush telegraph.... my eulogy was well received, lots of laughs, and the tea & buns mostly eaten. All remaining food and the wreath of daffodils, her favourite flower, taken to the Nursing Home. I then shuttled the wrinklies home, checked her flat, then flew out toSpain less than 48 hours later.

Thanks again for all the help and advice

One thing that was mentioned.... instead of a photo of an 'elderly person' on the front of the Church Service Sheet, I had the Funeral Director scan a photo of her and my late Uncle holding their skis, whilst on a ski holiday to Switzerland in the mid 50s. It just reminded the congregation that she wasn't always old, and lots of favourable comments were passed
What a lovely thought LL, pleased it all went well for you.

Now, enjoy your break.

Pat
 Funeral arrangements - Clk Sec
>> What a lovely thought LL, pleased it all went well for you.
>>
>> Now, enjoy your break.

+1
Greetings from sunny Spain ( at last)
When I return next week, a decision needs to be made about my late Aunts wonderfully old fashioned 2 bed flat. Faded pink carpet in the bathroom, old Belling free standing oven, 45yo carpets...I have valuations for Probate purposes, but because it is aimed at the elderly market, many potential purchasers will be understandably put off.
If I manage a modernisation programme, on a budget, and do a lot of the work myself, can I bill the estate for my time?
As both selling agents have advised, if I spend £10k, I might only add £10k in value, because the properties in the block have a ceiling price, but, it makes it 20x more saleable and I'm prepared to make the effort for a quick sale.
Any recommendations from you knowledgeable folk please?
 Funeral arrangements - commerdriver
>> If I manage a modernisation programme, on a budget, and do a lot of the
>> work myself, can I bill the estate for my time?
>>
You can certainly bill the estate for any costs incurred, including travel, we did this when we sorted out SWMBO's late mother's house 110 miles away from home.
Billing for your time is more complex, for example
1. Are any other beneficiaries agreeable to you billing time
2. Do you have any qualifications in project management, building renovation, decorating etc.
3. How do you intend to manage the income from the estate as far as tax is concerned etc.
 Funeral arrangements - smokie
If the agents think it would sell (- problem is, they are always over-confident in that area - ) I'd bung it on the market anyway quickly just to see if I got an acceptable sniff before expending any effort and money, but I'd be prepared to swing into action if I didn't.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 12:04
Just doing the bear minimum might be worthwhile - make it a blank canvas. So don't spend £10k on it.

New carpets (neutral) throughout. Paint the walls a neutral colour - if it's wallpaper and it's sound just pain over it. B&Qs Valspar paint covers well if you go for the premium variant.

I suppose bathroom and kitchen look old. Kitchen cupboards could be painted but if they are old fashioned it's hard to hide. But put something in an expect a premium and you might not get the money back if someone thinks it needs redoing.

Get rid of freestanding items, including the cooker. Or get a new one.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 12:37
Assuming the kitchen & bathroom are serviceable.............

I would give the whole house a clear out the old carpets, cooker, furniture etc etc & then a paint the walls & fit some modestly priced carpets bathroom& kitchen flooring.

Lots of fresh air, tidy the garden (especially the front), tidy up the entrance, clean the windows & sit back to see if it sells.

Modest home so spend no more than say £1,000- £1500.............car dealers polish 2nd hand cars an add value - why not polish some value into the house!
 Funeral arrangements - zippy
>>B&Qs Valspar paint covers well

Be aware that sometimes the paint cans open in the car.....

www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/29/bq-valspar-paint-tins-open-damage-cars
 Funeral arrangements - CGNorwich
I did that years ago weeks after I had acquired an new company Ford Orion. Put a 5 litre can of emulsion the front seat and made a rather sudden stop when someone backed our of a driveway in front of me. Drove home with paint swilling round the foot well. Total new carpet job.

Two weeks after the car was returned to me I ripped the rear near side door off when reversing. My son had left the back door ajar and it swung open and hit an adjacent lamp post.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 17:37
 Funeral arrangements - BiggerBadderDave
I've seen this a couple of times and it still makes me laugh. Rude-word-warning.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6l2py68WY4

>> If I manage a modernisation programme, on a budget, and do a lot of the
>> work myself, can I bill the estate for my time?

Well you can, but its up to the executor to pay you or not. But I dont see the point, assuming you are a beneficiary , you are simply paying yourself out of your own money.

Don't expect to be able to bill improvements works on the estate after the death and expect it to be taken of the IHT bill, it simply doesn't work that way.
And if the executor spends 10 grand some of which goes to one of the beneficiaries, and only recoups 10 grand back in the sale, some of other the beneficiaries are going to be asking awkward questions of the executor.
I can't see how you as one of the beneficiaries can claim back anything for time spent working on it. Materials maybe. But how can you make money out of the estate?

If the work cost £10k and will add £10k then why bother? But if the decor is really going to put someone off, like an ancient carpet, then take out the carpet.... possibly replace it but maybe leave it as bare boards.

Does it matter if it takes a bit longer to sell if it's in this old fashioned decorated state?
 Funeral arrangements - commerdriver
>> Does it matter if it takes a bit longer to sell if it's in this
>> old fashioned decorated state?
>>
still needs to be insured, if it really drags on you can end up paying council tax, it's a hassle you can do without, especially at a distance from where you live
If it's priced right surely it will sell. All it needs is renovation and the price will reflect that.

I can't see how the time/effort put in by LL can be recouped from the estate because he's already a beneficiary. So let's assume he got £2k for his effort and there was an extra £2k on the property come resale time. How do you split the £2k extra achieved on the sale price? He's already made £2k on the work.

If works needs to be done, then maybe best to pay someone and hope the cost is recovered come sale time.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 16:56
It's a pity this wasn't allowed for in the will. Individuals can be specifically remunerated or given bequests for carrying out instructions.
Or perhaps the valuation should have included a discount to represent the cost of bringing the house up to marketable standard? "Market value" has got to mean what the market would pay now, not what it might pay in the future given enough time.
 Funeral arrangements - Dave_
Every property will sell if it's marketed at a fair price. Don't do anything with the kitchen or bathroom; every purchaser will want to rip out whatever's there and refit it to their own tastes. As long as the property is physically sound with no signs of damp or rot then the 45-year-old decor doesn't matter a jot. Don't waste your time polishing a turd, I've done it and wish I hadn't, sorry.

I've dealt with a couple of inherited properties in the last few years; one flat was in a similar timewarp condition to your aunt's. The dated decor simply tells a purchaser that it hasn't been messed about with, which is probably worse than some 1970's patterns. A good clean will allow people to see past the fittings and envisage what they can do with the bricks and mortar.
I can't remember who the beneficiaries are - if indeed we have been told - and with 100 posts I'm afraid I can't be bothered to check. ;)

If the estate remunerates you then it will be taxable income for you but the estate will not receive a corresponding tax deduction. Maybe that doesn't matter as you have no other income?

Better, surely, to vary the will such that you get a little bit more than the other beneficiaries.

www.gov.uk/alter-a-will-after-a-death

Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 1 Mar 17 at 09:54
Now that I'm back from my extended Gin & Rioja fuddled sojourn in Espana I'm progressing things. The above comments have really been a great help.
After ear bashing from mother & brother I've succcumbed to employing a solicitor... the very experienced ( Probate) colleague of a good friend of mine who is Head of a different Dept.
We took all the necessary documents, including my Aunts late husbands will, who died in 1989, and left everything to his surviving spouse so that immediately doubles the IHT allowance. As we are doing most of the paperwork ourselves, the solicitor is billing us for hours worked ( at mates rates) and will liaise with the Probate office where she has contacts, and file everything online in due course.

Going through my Aunts drawers ( NOT those drawers!) we have found piles & piles of small investment paperwork. Several BS accounts , 4 NSavings accounts & bonds, gilts, share certificates, etc etc
My brother and I are the sole beneficiaries in the Will, and also the sole executors. We shall of course honour the charities mentioned in her 'List of Wishes' which reduces her estate, and in due time make payments from the 'executors bank account' to the individuals listed therein. Lots of paperwork to do contacting at least twenty separate investment funds ( nothing to get too excited about financially) and 20 names of people, both dead and alive, to whom she wants trinkets to go to!
Think I'll need another holiday soon
Latest Forum Posts