Non-motoring > First Visit to USA Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 67

First Visit to USA - Bromptonaut
Neither Mrs B or I have ever travelled outside Europe.

She has need/opportunity to attend an academic conference in San Antonio (Texas) over a weekend in late April. We're thinking of extending stay to 10 or so days and making a holiday of it.

Immediate thought was to fly to Houston (Singapore Airlines had good fares from Manchester) and spend a bit of time either before or after exploring the city/surroundings. Particular interest in Johnson Space Centre which I guess is worth a day or so. Likely to hire a car, any other ‘must see’ suggestions for area.

Drive Houston to San Antonio seems to be around 4hrs. Worth it for experience or better to take a flight? .

Another option would be to go via NYC and take in the sights/tourist stuff thereabouts before (or after) taking a connection to SA.

Bearing in mind we’re complete newbies to US I’d welcome comments, suggestions and warnings of bear traps.

As she’s not going solely as a tourist are visas likely to be more complicated?

For info, I’ve x/posted on the Old Flatulents Forum too.
 First Visit to USA - smokie
Houston > San Antonio is more like 2.5 hrs drive than 4. Hardly worth getting a flight, once you've checked in an hour before blah blah.. Mostly I've found driving pretty easy going (though often quite boring as not a lot of scenery) in the States, especially on the highways, but you might be well advised to avoid rush hours round big cities.

I looked at including Houston in my recent US tour but my mate out there said it's probably not "my kind of place". There is loads to see there though, and one excursion I had an eye on was a drive out Galveston way, but I don't recall exactly where to or why!!!

As a tourist you'll need an ESTA - $14 from the official site but multiples of that if you get caught on one of the "reseller" scam sites. The ESTA came through by return for me, once I had paid (online) but it says it can take weeks so maybe it takes longer if you've never had one before. tinyurl.com/9cm2wr Just reading that site, I think Mrs B will only need an ESTA too (work under 90 days) but check with someone who knows!
 First Visit to USA - Old Navy
The last time I went through U.S. immigration I was grilled about the ability to fund my visit. I must have been assessed as a scruffy oik. When asked if I had been in the country before the answer " Yes, many times, some were with the military and not through immigration prompted a dramatic change in attitude from the immigration officer.
 First Visit to USA - rtj70
When my brother first visited west coast USA for work he did the road trip from San Francisco through Death Valley to Las Vegas (I know you're not planning this). When he stopped for gas he'd ask how car to 'such and such place' where he'd booked accommodation. The response was always 'it's just down the road'....

... well be warned that the locals saying it's just down the road doesn't mean it's near! He'd be driving for hours and hours before he got to that place :-)

I can't offer advice on the USA. I don't particularly like it (well I've not been since 1999 and my brother lives there!). but I have done San Francisco a few times, New York, Maui. I preferred Canada.
 First Visit to USA - BrianByPass
ESTA normally covers short business trips. "Work" - i.e paid employment visa is a different matter.

I go often.

Driving is easy. Watch out for right turn on red, four-way crossing, etc.

I book hotels as I go along, except for first stay.
 First Visit to USA - henry k
I have been to the USA many times for business and pleasure but not in the last few years.
The two simple things I learned about American cars were:-
The internal light was switched on by winding up the instrument brightness then some more.
Cars often have a concierge key for valet parking. Tthis may include the fuel flap release is found in the glove box.
Can others confirm these two items.
I have never had a hire car with an owners manual in it.
 First Visit to USA - Ted

First bear trap is Manchester Airport parking.. Big spread on ' Rip off Britain' this morning about parking firms leaving customer's cars on a pub car park near the airport....probably with a backhander to the landlord...not a good area either ! Cars were left in the street or farmers fields and returned covered in mud. So much for secure parking !

I know it's early days but bear in mind that I'm not far from the airport and would be happy to have your car here and run you to the terminal. Applies to anyone on here, just mail me as per my profile.

>> I know it's early days but bear in mind that I'm not far from the
>> airport and would be happy to have your car here and run you to the
>> terminal. Applies to anyone on here, just mail me as per my profile.
>>

If only everyone had the same attitude as you Ted.

You're a rare star in today's world.
 First Visit to USA - legacylad
Agreed. An amazingly kind offer
But always remember that German children are kinder
>> I know it's early days but bear in mind that I'm not far from the
>> airport and would be happy to have your car here and run you to the
>> terminal. Applies to anyone on here, just mail me as per my profile.

Ted,

Thanks ever so much for that generous offer. Manchester cropped up because of good fares to Houston. Not my nearest airport but as an alternative to other options of Heathrow (90 mins) or Gatwick 2 hours plus) at around 3hours drive it's doable. One of the joys of being near centre of England.

Local airports are Birmingham or East Midlands but excepting United's route BHX to Newark any option would be connection via Amsterdam, Paris or Dublin.
 First Visit to USA - Ambo
>>As she’s not going solely as a tourist are visas likely to be more complicated?

I don't see why but you will want to check carefully in advance. There was no complication in Boston airport, when I was on my way to a 3-week summer school in the University of Maine although that was admittedly about 15 years ago.
 First Visit to USA - sooty123
If you're flying from Manchester I'd leave the car and take the train. It drops you off right in the terminal i always use it, it's a doddle. As for fares try delta they are pretty competitive on price. ESTA wise is your wife taking anything with work related, i vaguely remember it being more complicated if you were carrying work 'products'. Best to check though I've not filled one in years.
NY is an odd one, I'm glad i went but wouldn't go back again. Its nice to see the sights but I don't really think it was my sort of place. If you do go get one of the big bus tickets either before you go or go to times square and barter away, there's plenty of leeway on the prices.
If your hiring a car look at getting insurance before you go or have a read up, i was out there last year and the insurance seemed expensive. I ts, from my experience, not added on the advertised price. The police are pretty strict more so than the UK. I think it varies from state to state but if you get caught speeding in roadworks the fine is double.
When you are out shopping many things out there the price on the sticker isn't always the price you pay. There's often a state/local tax to add on. So it might not be as cheap as you imagine.
Oh yeah they have this weird thing of all sitting at the bar and clogging it up so you can't get another flipping drink! ;)
Hopefully there's something useful in all that rambling.
Re car rental - as a general rule I would say you are better booking car hire related stuff before you go. I usually rent from carhire3000 (now part of some other group) and it includes all mandatory insurance and some non-mandatory. What it doesn't include (I think) is roadside rescue, and cover for damage to tyres, and they'll try to sell you that locally, along with massively expensive satnavs and baby seats...

I've always taken a chance and not had the additional insurances.

I'm not sure what toll roads there may be in the areas you may drive in but there are some quite short stretches around some cities which, although they are not expensive, are a pain as mostly (in my experience) these are now only payable using a pass or by number plate recognition (i.e. there are no longer toll booths), which would end up with the car hire company passing on the charge (and probably an admin cost). You can buy passes in advance and some give cheaper toll rate but tbh in Texas I came across one bit of highway around Dallas which was toll but otherwise there was none (I didn't go to Houston) - but you could just plan your route to avoid them...

One tip - if you book a car now through the company I mentioned (and probably others) it is fully refundable if cancelled, right up till the day before collection. What I did for my long trip last autumn was booked the car as soon as I had the flights booked, but I actually cancelled it and rebooked twice before departure date and ultimately I saved about £120. It could obviously go the other way...in which case you have pegged your price at today's pricing - but you do need to lay out the money now.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 17 Jan 17 at 12:47
Smokie, do you know if Hertz still operate a Ford fleet? On the two occasions (vanity) I wanted a 'Stang convertible ( an umble, underpowered V6) I used Hertz and got almost new models... that was in Boston & SF.
Silly I know but it always felt nicer to get into a 'Stang on a morning than a Chrysler Sebring.
No idea LL. I got a Mustang once but it was the renter variety (2.8 or 3.2 I think), and would have been from Dollar, Alamo, Budget or Thrifty as they are the ones which appear on the site I use. it was pretty new (sub 1k miles) and in a very nice metallic grey colour. And it had the full Sirius radio package which was good.
 First Visit to USA - henry k
>>... when I was on my way to a 3-week summer school in the University of Maine although that was admittedly about 15 years ago.
>>Been there, My elderly friend lives near the campus in Orono.
Just been chatting with her re Trump etc. and about the risk of Moose on the road.
I guess the risk is 'gators down south.
The widely circulate images
cdanews.com/2017/01/humongous-alligator-takes-stroll-in-florida-nature-reserve-video/

>> Drive Houston to San Antonio seems to be around 4hrs. Worth it for experience or
>> better to take a flight? .
>>

I'd suggest something like this for a 10 day trip

goo.gl/h14TCr or go via El Paso instead of Dallas.

(If you think time is short, you can plan to finish at Vegas).

I'd extend it to San Francisco if you had another 5 to 7 days.

Hire car in Austin and drop off in LA or Vegas).

My first ever trip US road trip was San Fran to LA via Highway 1, then on to San Diego, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, and flew back from Vegas.

I got hooked and subsequent trips have been to most of the major National Parks in South-West states (California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado). Yet there is a lot more I have to see and do, and my plan it to tackle the North West States (WA, OR, ID, MT, WY) in the next few years.

Snap
I was very fortunate to do a ski road trip with my CA based friends. They picked me up in Seattle then inland across BC to Revelstoke ( skiing) then further W to the big hills, south to MT and Whitefish ( more skiing) then home via Idaho & Nevada. Unforgettable.
 First Visit to USA - Videodoctor
I have been to the States many times in recent years and so here are my recommendations.

1.Definitely go and see Johnson Space Centre.They have a space shuttle sat on a plane that you can look round and a full size Apollo rocket on it's side.Along with the general tour its a fantastic day out and only costs around $20 per person.

2.I hire my cars from Hertz. I usually try and get a Chevolet Impala with the 3.5 litre V6 engine that develops 305 bhp.The cost is approx £500 for 2 weeks.

3.Take out extra car insurance before you go.I use this company www.questor-insurance.co.uk/car-hire-insurance.aspx

4. In the US petrol pump colours are green for diesel and black for petrol.Don't get caught out!.
You also have to prepay for your fuel before you pump it.

5.Buy an American sat nav off Ebay second hand.You pay around £80 for one.They are invaluable in the States and much cheaper than hiring one with the car.When you get back to the UK you can sell it on Ebay for £80 again!.

I will post more thoughts tonight as i have to go to work now :-(
Last edited by: Videodoctor on Wed 18 Jan 17 at 07:51
 First Visit to USA - ToMoCo
>> 5.Buy an American sat nav

Does google maps not work?
Re Satnav - if you have Three as your mobile provider and you have a spare mobile (or can live without your regular one) get a free Three SIM, get a one month contract and add a package for about a tenner for a reasonable amount of data. Most hotels, eateries and many larger shops (and also some districts) have free WiFi anyway so even without a SIM you can load up a route and use Maps (or some other product) in offline mode. Three SIM is also good for keeping in touch with home as you get all your UK minutes as though you are here.

www.three.co.uk/discover/phones/feel_at_home#allowance-details

In my experience Hertz are relatively expensive, but have more upmarket cars. I've just hired a Ford Explorer SUV for 20 days from LA in the autumn for a tad under £500, all insurances included except the roadside. (Had an interesting experience with the website when doing so but too involved to go into here - but the short version is that I used Chrome, it wouldn't let me complete the booking, so tried the same on Edge and it was £20 cheaper...probably to do with cookies)

The doc is right about prepay gas (nearly always anyway). You can either pay cash or card (sometimes a higher price for card) but they will usually take the payment in advance. if, like me, you have no idea how much your motor will take you can overestimate the prepay and they give you back what you didn't use in cash. (Think I said before, "pay at pump" usually requires a zipcode and I have never had success with them in the US)

Another gotcha is school buses, if the flappy sign is out at the back while they are stationery you HAVE to stop behind it (within a school zone).

And another is that Stop lines are (generally) better observed over there and you are expected to stop, not coast to a near-halt. A mate of mine got fined for not stopping. There are more police out and about over there to catch you for misdemeanours, and if you get stopped just sit tight, hands visible, and wait for instructions. Happened to me once, it wasn't at all scary and ended with a friendly warning about speeding... !!

Oh, and in some states if there are stationery vehicles on the hard shoulder (which can be on both sides of the carriageway) you have to move over a lane. That's something I try to do here if poss anyway.
 First Visit to USA - Duncan

>> Oh, and in some states if there are stationery vehicles on the hard shoulder (which
>> can be on both sides of the carriageway) you have to move over a lane.
>> That's something I try to do here if poss anyway.

Come on. Come on!

There's an open goal there!
For pedants? I'm not seeing it...
I'm not sure whether it's legal to undertake on the inside ( rhs) in every State on dual carriageways. Where my friends live there are lots of mimsers around, happily driving along slowly in what I always consider the 'overtaking' lane.
I've always just blasted past on the inside....
Max Speed limits out on the open road vary from state to state
It's not seen as undertaking and it is legal. And people don't take offence if you do it. So long as not done dangerously. "Pass either side". Over the past couple of years I have noticed some states have put up some signs asking you to move over if lane is clear.

"state to state" - yeah, other rules too I believe like turning right at lights (and you obviously can't do that where there is an explicit sign saying you can't), though that seems OK in most states I've visited. It's useful to know though so that you avoid the right lane at lights when going straight on, so you aren't blocking any who want to turn.

Also U turns are really common in the states on suburban roads, especially at crossroads (except where specifically prohibited).
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 18 Jan 17 at 09:26
 First Visit to USA - CGNorwich
That's the so called "Move over" law. If an emergency vehicle is stopped and displaying blue lights you MUST move over one lane or, if not possible, slow down to a reasonable speed
 First Visit to USA - commerdriver
>> Oh, and in some states if there are stationery vehicles on the hard shoulder (which
>> can be on both sides of the carriageway) you have to move over a lane.
>>
Is that vehicles made out of paper clips and envelopes or are they stationary at the roadside?
:-) pedantic mood this morning
 First Visit to USA - Ambo
Airport car hire queues tend to be long held up - deliberately, I am sure - as staff try to sell you the collision damage waiver you will probably already have paid for in the UK. The car itself may be a bus ride away (as in San Francisco), where there will be another long queue, held up for a second sales attempt.
Not my experience in most recent trips (last autumn to LA and last March to Florida) but I expect I just got lucky.

At LA most rental places are offsite so you do have to wait for the courtesy bus but only 1 person ahead of us in the rental place. (Miami too, and others no doubt).

Immigrating can be very slow especially if you are the third jumbo to land in quick succession, although I'd say that hasn't been as bad over the past couple of years (not sure if there could be a Trump effect in future though!!)
Immigration can be very slow. Many years ago I used to fly from MAN to Chicago with BMI and the queues were horrendous. So bad that I frequently missed my connecting flight to Sacramento.
These days I always fly klm/ Delta out of Leeds.... the main 3 route choices are LA, Seattle or Portland for the second leg. The latter is my preferred point of entry, with the least immigration queues by far, but being a cheapass scratter I always fly whichever route is cheapest!
Ah yes... I see...should've guessed LOL
Carrying on from my previous post.

6. The old style pink driving license is still widely accepted in the States.I have never had any bother hiring cars using my old pink license along with your passport.

7. You must carry your driving documents on you all the time your driving over there.

8. I usually book my flights with United Airlines via www.netflights.com.I am 6 foot 4" so i always book the extra leg room seats.They are expensive but sitting in a tight spaced seat for 8-9 hours is no fun.Once you have booked standard seats with Netflights you go over to United's website,login with your booking details and choose from the layout on the plane the extra leg room seats and then pay United direct for these.The other advantage of the extra leg room seats are that they are near the exit door so other than business class,you are the first to get off.Another tip while on plane seats is to book the aisle seat and the middle seat,not the window seat.This makes just one seat available by the window and it doesn't get booked very often because people want to sit together.Once the doors have shut,you then have a spare seat next to you for your hand luggage etc.(Disclaimer.This doesn't work on very busy flights but most times it works).

9. If you have never driven in America before then it might be worth considering getting a taxi to your hotel.Then have the car hire booked for the following day,locally near your hotel.There are two reasons for this.One is that when you get off the plane you will be tired and jet lagged.Driving out of the airport,on the wrong side of the road is a recipe for disaster.Second reason is that car hire is much more expensive from the airport due to taxes etc than the local hire place so you can save some money that way.

10. Buy some noise cancelling headphones for the flight.The type where you have to put batteries in them.When on the flight you can switch on the noise cancelling feature and the planes drone falls away into the distance.It makes watching movies especially better.Also if your trying to sleep you can just leave the noise cancelling feature on and it drowns out crying kids etc.I use these www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Headphones-Active-Cancelling-Aeroplane/dp/B00AXVURFY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 and for £30 they have been brilliant and very comfortable on your ears.

Will post more tips as i think of them!
Never heard of them, but cheap. I paid lots more for some Bose QC 15s years ago and worth every penny. Great for watching in flight movies...I normally watch three on every long haul flight and their residual value is excellent.
 First Visit to USA - CGNorwich
Another good thing about headphones is that it politely indicates that you really don't want to talk.

Having flown the Atlantic next to a lone passenger who wanted to tell me all about his health problems in great and lengthy detail and what tablets he was taking for what I never fly without them now!

They look value for money. I've got a pair of Sony ones I bought some years back which I use at home too.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 18 Jan 17 at 23:15
>> Carrying on from my previous post.
>>
>> 6. The old style pink driving license is still widely accepted in the States.I have
>> never had any bother hiring cars using my old pink license along with your passport.
>>
Still pedantic at midnight, I think you would actually have great difficulty hiring a car with your old licence and my passport

:-)

>> >>
>> Still pedantic at midnight, I think you would actually have great difficulty hiring a car
>> with your old licence and my passport
>>
>> :-)
>>

Ha Ha very funny :-)
Time to bring this thread up to date.

We're definitely going!!!!

Fly out on Saturday coming to Houston with following overnight pre booked near airport at hotel with courtesy bus. Avoids driving while outside says mid afternoon and head says pushing midnight.

Pick up car (Nissan Verso Note or similar) and drive to Austin for two nights. Then three days in 'hill country' touring seeing sights including LBJ ranch.

Five nights in San Antonio while Mrs B and her Professor do their academic stuff. Part of that is behind scenes at San Antonio zoo for which I'm hoping I can grab an affiliate's ticket.

Last three nights round and about Houston to do Space Centre and possibly Galveston or some other bit of gulf coast.

Return overnight 29/30 April.

Got ESTA, got dollars sorted out plug adapters (everything we want to take is multi voltage). Bound to have forgotten something but that's part of the experience.
 First Visit to USA - Hard Cheese
If you get to Dallas the Kennedy assassination, book depository, Dealey Plaza museum is interesting ...
 First Visit to USA - Runfer D'Hills
Enjoy it Bromp !

You'll likely not be able to afford to do it again for a while after paying for that wedding...

;-)
 First Visit to USA - sooty123
Enjoy, not done texas yet out in the US, although the OH is going on her own later this year to texas for a couple of weeks. I should really go some time. I'll have to put up with 5 weeks in vegas instead!
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 11 Apr 17 at 14:38
I did a few days in Texas last autumn, stayed in Dallas to see the Kennedy stuff (which I really enjoyed - seeing the assassination on TV is one of my earliest memories - and then to Austin primarily for music. Plenty of bars with free live bands around, more cover bands than blues but they were fun. I think that was on 6th St but I doubt that's your scene. I followed some tips from Kevin on here (thanks!)

From Austin I also visited one of the two places where US banknotes are made - free tour and reasonably interesting. www.moneyfactory.gov/fortworthtxtours.html. Also supposedly went to the largest casino in the world - desperately uninteresting apart from it's size - www.winstarworldcasino.com/ which is just in Oklahoma, easy drive from Austin.
 First Visit to USA - No FM2R
>> Bound to have forgotten something but that's part of the experience.

Advise your Credit Card company that you're travelling if they're not used to it.

My way around jet lag is to put my watch on the new time as soon as my bum hits the airplane seat. Then try to behave in accordance with the new time. Only sleep on the plane if it is a sensible time to sleep according to the new time. And I'm guessing that you're on a day flight so it probably won't be.

So stay awake until a reasonable bed time according to the new time. I know it can mean staying awake and extra 7 hours or something, until you get to your hotel. Perhaps you won't manage all of that. But the closer you can get the better.

I can switch time zones in a single night by doing that.

If you go to bed mid-afternoon on that first day it will take days to shift timezones.
By the way, how are you managing your telephones while away?

Local SIMS and a RebTel account would be my recommendation. As long as your phones are unlocked.
Sorry, another thought;

Maybe you already said this, but you have got medical insurance sorted for while you're away? Not so much for little things, but in the event of something serious it can be catastrophic.

Finally though, have a great time. Even though it was a long time ago I remember my first trip to the States - I was thrilled, though a bit intimidated.

I loved the television, the shops, the roads, the people and the bars. It really was a great experience. Do try and do everything.

Also, Texas shopping is damn cheap and the outlet malls are even cheaper. Obviously keep away from the tourist ones especially near the airport, but its worth a look.

You hear bad things about taxi drivers, but I've almost always found them helpful and willing to talk. As are barmen.

On which point, do find a local bar and go sit at the bar for a beer. Make sure its a local one, you will enjoy it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 11 Apr 17 at 15:30
>> Also, Texas shopping is damn cheap and the outlet malls are even cheaper.
>>
Haven't been to the US for years but it took me a long time to get used to the ticket price on everything being 'before sales tax'

Have a good trip
>> Sorry, another thought;
>>
>> Maybe you already said this, but you have got medical insurance sorted for while you're
>> away? Not so much for little things, but in the event of something serious it
>> can be catastrophic.

Travel to USA without insurance came up on Cyclechat a week or two ago. Consensus was that while you can wing it in the EU (for now) it would be foolhardy in extreme to go to US without.

Not that I needed telling. We had somebody drop in at work for advice. Was being pursued by UK debt collectors over $50k bill in US hospital. He had insured but fell and broke his wrist in circs where cover explicitly did not apply (dicking about on a balcony). Was only in for 36 hours while they wired/pinned it,
>> Local SIMS and a RebTel account would be my recommendation. As long as your phones
>> are unlocked.

First thought was to try and get a US SIM before departure but quick Google said that's not possible. Three, as suggested below, was widely recommended and we bought two £20PAYG SIMS on Saturday. We might get a US card over there and stick it in third phone for local use depending on cost.

Advantage of having a UK mobile number is it's simple for my Mum. She's 91 and while she struggles with mobility she's still got a complete set of marbles. Technology though can bamboozle her so a sheet of paper that says our numbers from 15 to 30 April are 07474 xxxxxx rather than usual ones is straightforward.

And we can top up cards to use when we're in France with 'van in August.

>> said that's not possible. Three, as suggested below, was widely recommended and we bought two
>> £20PAYG SIMS on Saturday. We might get a US card over there and stick it
>> in third phone for local use depending on cost.
>>

Good choice. www.three.co.uk/support/roaming/united-states#payg
"United States is a Feel At Home destination. This means you can use your device there at no extra cost. Calls and texts back to the UK and using data will come out of any Pay As You Go Add-on allowance you have. If you don't have an add-on, you'll need to get one so that you have an allowance to enjoy Feel At Home with."

Remember

- to activate roaming www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_International/

- and that "if you're on Pay As You Go you'll need to convert your Pay As You Go credit into an Add-on to get a unit allowance to fully enjoy Feel At Home". Converting the £20 to a "All in One 20" add-on give you 12GB 300min 3000txt and lasts one month.
www.three.co.uk/Support/Pay_As_You_Go/Phone_tariffs

I rarely have any problem at all with time shift going east to west, but the other way round disorients my body clock for a while. I end up wanting burgers and chips for breakfast for some strange reason, especially strange in fact because I'm not normally a huge fan of burgers. Only ever seem to want tomato juice too when I'm on a long haul flight, never bother with it at other times.
 First Visit to USA - tyrednemotional
>>I end up wanting burgers and chips for breakfast for some strange reason.........

...that's the tiredness kicking in and reviving the normally repressed Scottishness......
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Tue 11 Apr 17 at 15:44
You might be right there. If it's really bad it shifts into a need for a deep fried spring roll supper.
Funnily enough I just got 6 deep fried spring rolls with sweet chili sauce and a cold beer for my lunch.

Just sayin'
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 11 Apr 17 at 16:00
>> Funnily enough I just got 6 deep fried spring rolls with sweet chili sauce and
>> a cold beer for my lunch.
>>
>> Just sayin'

That is just way out of order. There was no need to mention that. You can't get a spring roll supper here. Actually, you can't get a decent fish supper here either. They use poxing cod instead of haddock you know. All wrong. They have no idea.

:-(
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 11 Apr 17 at 16:11
All wrong. They have no idea.
>>
>> :-(
>>

...at least the beer doesn't taste like soluble aspirin.......
>> ...at least the beer doesn't taste like soluble aspirin.......

Everywhere has its local specialities, may I recommend a particularly fine one for next time you venture to the wilds of Caledonia. I'll give you the secret code...

Pinety lagger an' a wee hauf Chief.

;-)
...I've long avoided ordering a pint and a half in Scotland......

(The first time is quite a surprise if you're not prepared)
Can be a pleasant surprise, if it's not Bells of course.
>>They use poxing cod instead of haddock you know. All wrong.

Pah!! I say. Double Pah!!

You know nothing of problems. Here they use Conger Eel. I dream of poxing cod or haddock.

Conger eel and french fries, I ask you, wtf is that!. And then they expect me to be grateful!!!
Ah well, at least you can get a kebab instead. Oh wait...

;-)
...and the horse you rode in on.
:-))))
Don't forget to tip waiters and barmen. It's expected, with every drink, though if you aren't happy with the service don't be afraid to say so.

Good point re the prices being before tax, makes stuff look cheap. there's not much in the US which is cheap for us at the moment due to the crappy exchange rate, except gas, but remember their gallons are smaller!!

If you are using navigation I'd set it to avoid toll roads - there was one somewhere in my Texas trip and I nearly went on it just for 500 yds or so. They use ANPR-like systems now so it would have ended up as an after-charge from the rental company, no doubt with some surcharge. I don't think there's many toll roads anyway in Texas.

Also whatever your fuel arrangement with your renters make sure you don't let them charge you for any gas as they stick a reasonably high surcharge on it (c 20% IIRC - but then - it's not a huge amount of $$). Remember your rental insurance probably doesn't cover roadside assistance/towing and tyres. They will want to upsell that to you, you can get a policy to cover that before you go or just take a chance, which is what I do. I've never felt cheated by a US hire company.

Wish I'd thought to advise earlier to get a Three SIM, if you don't already have one with an unlocked phone. Cheaper than getting a US one (they seem to be $60 upwards last time I was there) and you can use your minutes and data like you are at home, which is handy. I stuck a tenner on last time and it lasted over three weeks, but I was careful to ensure I used WiFi wherever possible.
 First Visit to USA - Wibble
Hope that you are not flying United......

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39563570
>> Hope that you are not flying United......
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39563570

Singapore Airlines for us.

That incident is a thread in it's own right.
>> So stay awake until a reasonable bed time according to the new time. I know
>> it can mean staying awake and extra 7 hours or something, until you get to
>> your hotel. Perhaps you won't manage all of that. But the closer you can get
>> the better.

Our neighbour across the road who worked for Texas Instruments until she retired and spent a lot of time in DFW gave us that hint along with numerous others when we invited over over for a glass of wine and a chat the other night.

Not so sure about coming back but it's overnight leaving Houston 19:10 local and back in UK 10:10 BST. So long as we can manage the drive home in relays it's not a problem. Uni is on holiday and I'm not on shift until Wednesday.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 11 Apr 17 at 20:25
Huge thanks to all for hints tips etc

In departures waiting to board
Enjoy!
 First Visit to USA - PeterS
Have a great trip!!
Latest Forum Posts