Non-motoring > No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 25

No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - Falkirk Bairn
Discovery & Sky have fallen out over money - toys thrown out of the pram - Discovery want more than Sky offers.

Mind you if Sky lose Discovery there may be pressure to drop the Subs - Discovery will be dropping a Bundle every month as SKY must be their No 1 customer.

Still 3 days for a compromise - Who Blinks First?
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - Fullchat
Think they had the same issue with Motors TV. Disappeared for a while then returned.
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - Stuartli
It's not as though there are only two or three other channels you can watch on Sky...:-)
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - Crankcase
It's one heck of a lot of money that Discovery want though. That's an awful lot of monthly subs.
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - sooty123
How large are the sums? Tens of millions?
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - Falkirk Bairn
23m across Europe - so even if Dicovery channels are £2 / month per customer = £46m/mth

Big Bucks to pay for Sky but Bigger Bucks to Discovery if Sky Walks!
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Sat 28 Jan 17 at 14:39
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - Rudedog
Quest are going as well, keep seeing a rolling banner on their channel warning SKY users.
Well, according to this article, discovery are asking Sky for a billion pounds a year. As in, I'll say it again, a billion pounds.

uk.businessinsider.com/sky-discovery-disagreement-takes-new-twist-2017-1

No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - Roger.
I just might subscribe to SKY if there were no ads., but it seems a bit cheeky to be charged a hefty sub. and then have to watch the same garbage ads. one sees on Freesat.
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - Manatee
It will be a cold day in hell before I give any money to Sky. It puts the value of the BBC and other free-to-air broadcasters into perspective.

Somehow Sky and/or the rights owners for various sports seem to be exempt from the equivalent of the competition laws that apply to other businesses.

I see Sky now plans to rely increasingly on the internet rather than satellite for a service that supports up to 6 channels being recorded simultaneously and a seventh being viewed. I wonder f this means greater congesttion for all, or if it will be down to ISPs to 'manage' bandwidth.
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - PeterS
I'm with you - I've never had a sky subscription, nor to I intend to. It helps that I'm not really interested in watching sport on TV. I'm amazed by how much some people spend on sky subscriptions, though I accept for some that covers broadband as well. But £50/£60/£70 a month or even more is crazy. On that basis I've saved tens of thousands of pounds by not bothering!!

>> I've saved tens of thousands of pounds by not bothering!!

This makes you a minimum of 285 years old. Who are you, Rip van Winkle?
>>
>> >> I've saved tens of thousands of pounds by not bothering!!
>>
>>
>> This makes you a minimum of 285 years old. Who are you, Rip van Winkle?
>>

Not quite; £70 a month is £840 a year is £17k over 20 years (in today's money). If not 10s, then the price of a small hatchback, or 2/3 good holidays!!
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - sooty123
£17k over 20 years (in today's money). If not 10s, then the price of a small hatchback, or 2/3 good holidays!!
>>

£17k gets you a 2/3 good holidays? sorry i didn't know Mr Abramovich posted on here. ;) ;)
>>
>> £17k gets you a 2/3 good holidays? sorry i didn't know Mr Abramovich posted on
>> here. ;) ;)
>>

Mmmm...perhaps should have said *very* good holidays :p
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - zippy
Channel providers tend to get a report of total subscriber numbers from Sky monthly and a payment based on the number of subscribers so it can vary monthly. The contracts allow the channel to audit Sky's records. Even the BBC and ITV get payments.

I did have the exact rates at one time but no longer.

(The channels also get payments from other legitimate distributors of their content so YouTube etc will make payments for videos viewed on their sites.)
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - zippy
Missed the edit:

Sky paid the terrestrial broadcasters seriously significant sums just to carry their channels which are already available for free! This is clearly in their business plan and if they weren't carried then they couldn't be included on the planner, recorded etc. and of course if you switched to normal TV you might not feel the need to switch back to Sky.
>> Quest are going as well, keep seeing a rolling banner on their channel warning SKY users.>>

Stating the obvious, but Quest is free on Freeview (hence the original name by the BBC for the DVB service when it first took over the former ITV ONDigital service) and the same for Freesat.
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - No FM2R
"Freeview" is merely a marketing title.

The company providing the broadcast service is DTVSL, and whilst the BBC is a shareholder, Sky is also. As are Channel 4, ITV and Arqiva.
>>"Freeview" is merely a marketing title.>>

Perhaps you didn't read my comment properly. The BBC originally took on the former ONDigital channel with two partners and the "Freeview" concept was supposed to be exactly that.

When some Pay For channels appeared the BBC got somewhat huffy about it as it didn't reflect the philosophy.

I'm talking of the early and middle 2000s by the way - not the present or earlier times.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Digital - Its mostly accurate.
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Digital - Its mostly accurate.>>

I had OnDigital from almost the first time it began transmissions as it included Champions League football in the lineup for £9.99 a month; I also had to buy a wide band TV aerial to replace the then narrow band one as the middle channels were missing.

The reason ITV called a halt to the service was because it bid far more than it could afford to renew the soccer coverage a few years later and ended the transmission on cost grounds.

I returned the ONDigital set top box as requested at the time, only for ITV to later advise that this would be unnecessary. It cost me £99.99 some time later to buy a Freeview set top box (a superb Pioneer product) and once again enjoy DVB transmissions...:-( :-) :-)
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - Dulwich Estate II
Don't Panic !

The channels are back.

It's all resolved - SKY are presumably now going to be paying more.
Spot of brinksmanship going on there.

(It occurred to me to look up the origin of that word, just because I didn't know. Adlai Stevenson. Well, it would be, wouldn't it.)
>>Spot of brinksmanship going on there.

Sky rarely blink first, u have to have some balls to go against them. However, this channel negotiation stuff goes on all the time, and has happened before with Discovery. In fact, as I recall, Discovery have tried this "go public" approach once before.
 No Eurosport/Discovery on SKY after Tuesday - VxFan
>> Don't Panic !
>> The channels are back.

I hadn't even noticed they'd gone. I was watching one of the Discovery Channels past midnight and it didn't vanish. I also channel hopped around some of the other alleged channels that were supposed to have disappeared, but they were still there too.
Latest Forum Posts