Non-motoring > Walking and GPS Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 17

Walking and GPS - Crankcase
We've booked for a long distance walking holiday later this year. We've done a wodge of these before, but never needed anything other than maps and common sense so far.

As it's the coast to coast, there will be just a few areas where, especially when the weather is inclement, I might appreciate the extra backup of technology if my map and compass readings go awry.

Might not sound like much to experienced folk, but this will be a big deal for us. We wanted what will be for us, a hopefully enjoyable challenge without pushing our known limits too far - but will be further than we've ever done before.

I've made it as wussy as possible - baggage transfers, b&b accommodation, so only carrying packs with day kit and lunch. No really long days, so taking forever over it, just to enjoy the scenery and slow pace. Which is how we've always done these walks and it works well for us.

Anyway, the GPS points listed in the C2C Trailblazer book, which we will be using, are downloadable from their website and that seems a good idea to me.

I have an iPhone, and I have an old Garmin etrex (very basic, no maps, just an arrow) that needs a battery but worked last time I used it.

I appreciate that I'm going to have to take spare batteries, or if using the phone, possibly a small power-brick (which I already have somewhere, I think, as a booster).

I'm hoping I won't be using GPS of whatever form as anything other than the occasional backup on a misty slope, rather than slavishly using it all day.

Anyone have any views on this kit, whether I should look at any other kit? Any specific apps of worth, or techniques to get the GPX file from their website into the phone in some way?

Walking and GPS - TheManWithNoName
You could download the View Ranger app and maps for the area. Subject to GPS and mobile signal you could have use of the Landranger 1:50000 or 1:250000 maps on your mobile phone. I've recently downloaded a lot of the Lake District National Park area. The downloadable Maps tiles are usually about £5.99 each so you pick and choose whatever parts you want.
 Walking and GPS - movilogo
Maps.me works offline, you can download data prior to your journey.
 Walking and GPS - Manatee
I prefer to walk with maps and guides but I usually have a GPS with me, because I can.

Trying to use a GPS to get from waypoint to waypoint on the ground is impractical (and not much fun).

When it comes into its own is when you are "lost" i.e. not sure exactly where your location is on the map. The ability to look at your grid reference gets you back on track.

I have this

a.co/7xrTP3a Garmin 76CSx

with some UK mapping on it. It's much more than you need for a walk; if I could only have one feature it would be to look at my grid ref. The map TBH on a 2" screen is not easy to use and more often than not I will look at it to relocate myself on an OS map. As it has a compass it's also handy for bearings, and of course if you do have waypoints you can confirm that you are there!

If you are thinking of safety, one thing I have thankfully never had to do is to retrace my steps using the breadcrumb trail or track. The fact that you can do that with a GPS would give you an option if you ever found yourself on a hill in bad weather with no visibility.

There are of course phone apps that will just show you your grid ref., as well as hiking GPS apps with mapping. They weren't around when I bought my GPS.

Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 1 Feb 17 at 14:36
 Walking and GPS - Bromptonaut
Like others, if I'm walking mountains I prefer to use the 1/25000 map and a compass.

GPS helpful to confirm exact position if you have, or think you have, strayed off route or are otherwise 'temporarily unaware of position'. GPS readout of grid reference restores confidence almost as well as a trig point!!

Provided you've checked it's working properly and you've got spare AA batteries the e-trex should be fine. If you've got appropriate maps/software it should be possible to download your route onto the map and assess any places where you drifted off route. That exercise on route my son and I took from Red Pike into Ennerdale was quite illuminating!!

Have tried to use it programming in waypoints and working from one to next but it's hard work.
 Walking and GPS - Manatee
Just had a look at View Ranger and Alpinequest (Android) which look interesting. I'm wary of using a phone for this because apps using GPS can deplete the battery quickly.

The Garmin lasts at least a couple of days on 2 AA batteries, and its easy to pocket a couple more. Nearly every jacket I own has two batteries in the pocket!
Some good hints there, thanks all. Hadn't thought about the advantage getting the grid co-ordinates, but now it's been said, of course that's a really good idea.

I think I will break out the etrex this weekend, if I can find it amongst the 30 year detritus of a kitchen drawer, and remind myself how it all works. Good excuse for a walk too, although it's a bit hard to train for the Lake District in the Fens.

I'll also look at the various apps suggested too, because a backup of a backup can do no harm.
 Walking and GPS - TheManWithNoName
And if you end up using an app on your phone, buy one of those small portable chargers just in case it runs out of juice. I've just invested in a Xiaomi 10,000 mAh which will recharge the android fully four times over.
 Walking and GPS - Rudedog
Have a look at an app called MAPS.ME, this allows you to download full blocks of maps worldwide onto your phone so you don't need a internet connection.

Lets you plan journeys on the road and walking (I used it in Italy on a city break).

Best to preload the maps you need at home using wifi and delete ones you don't need to free up your phone's memory.

Walking and GPS - smokie
One of my buddies does a bit of walking, I'm sure he said that the regular satnav apps aren't really a lot of use for "off road" walking. Maybe for finding where you are but they have no info on paths/hills etc, or whatever else a walker might need.
 Walking and GPS - rtj70
But if you have OS maps then you can view them and follow routes. They can also show elevation changes for your planned routes etc. Using the free-online maps for Viewranger means you can at least have a look at the app without buying it.

I bought the maps/app on Symbian S60 back in 2007 I think. And transferred my map licence to use on Android.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 1 Feb 17 at 23:04
 Walking and GPS - rtj70
Back in 2004 when I used a Windows CE device for sat nav I got OS maps for it. The app was good but I stopped using the IPAQ. I then more recently got Augmentra's ViewRanger app for Android (it's on iPhone too).

It's quite good and you can use some free online apps but I purchased the OS maps for where I wanted. You can even just buy tiles but your walk means you'd need a lot.

As a backup the phone could be useful. I can only comment on Android apps and Google maps which can pre-cache area (so no need for data connections). I once used RMaps to download Google maps for offline use when on holiday but the pre-caching and vectorised maps on Google make that unnecessary now. And I usually have data anyway.

A good place to ask GPS related questions is in the forums on PocketGPSWorld.com. Some knowledgeable people on there.
 Walking and GPS - Fursty Ferret
I'm a big fan of GPS. I use a Garmin GPSmap64 and wouldn't be without it. Route planned in advance, GPS has Ordnance Survey 25k and 50k loaded along with OpenStreetMap.

Very capable navigation aid and built in 3 axis compass. Sight and go facilities etc. I carry an old fashioned compass and a map but they are rarely touched.

Used the GPS to navigate technical descents in terrible conditions. Safety advantages of carrying it and bring familiar with the use are enormous. With care it will offer route guidance from scratch off a mountain the quickest way.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Wed 1 Feb 17 at 23:22
 Walking and GPS - legacylad
Cranky is it Alfred's original C2C or one of the alternatives? Presumably not a C2C across Scotland which is possible without wild camping but needs plenty of route planning.
Years ago I worked weeks away converting the old Keld YH into Keld Lodge, in the depths of winter. The Brigantes people had a share in it, and they operated a baggage service for walkers. Jeez it was cold and it was several days before we got commercial hot air blowers.
Swaledale is my favourite Dale, with stunning wildflower meadows as you probably know, and I've got a 15 miler around Dentdale in late March when I return from Espana.
It's my part of the world so any help or advice give me a shout.
It's the St Bees one, LL. Colleague walked it last year and has today reassured me that if we don't get to start from St Bees until later than I would have liked, we will still get to Ennerdale, barring accidents, before it's actually dark, in July. They were delayed, started after lunch, and still got in for about six or seven, apparently.

I hope so. Been looking at how to walk up hills (who knew about the "lock step" technique?) and down again (way worse for me, so perhaps a sledge).

'Lock step' technique? Never heard of it.
Although you are only carrying light loads I still recommend a pair ( never one) of trekking poles. Maybe you already use them, but I began using them in summer '97 and for any walks with up & down I wouldn't be without. I'd be stuffed without them because they are used to hold up my tarptent!!
Pacer Poles are very good, specific R & L handed, and I also have a pair of Leki Makalu AS ( anti shock) which are several years old. I like the AS system because it absorbs shock and reduces a lot of strain through the wrist and forearms.
Thanks again LL - funnily enough, was thinking about the trekking poles thing yesterday before you posted. Forever, we've used just the one each, as two feels really odd. But it does seem, as you say, that a pair might be beneficial, so we shall have another go and see.

As to lock step, obviously I got that wrong. I meant "rest step", and I've never used it (yet), but found it here. Feel free to tell me it's a Load of Baloney or otherwise. I'll probably try it anyway, although as I say, downhills are the killer for me. Knees get very painful.

www.well.com/~woodman/hike.html

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 3 Feb 17 at 09:39
Downhill is where the advantage of two poles becomes apparent. Takes lots of strain off the knees, and on rough ground ( loose rock) wet grass, muddy paths, wooden boardwalks, are a great help to stability.
Try with two. You get into a rhythm and the arm movement is good for improving shoulder muscles and upper body strength.
Latest Forum Posts