Non-motoring > No chance! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 27

No chance! - Old Navy
I remember predicting manpower problems for the carriers.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4216096/Manpower-crisis-sees-6-2-billion-ships-lacking-sailors.html

And this one.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4215714/Soldiers-offered-three-day-week-no-line-combat.html

I read recently that we have no operational nuclear fleet submarines, if it came to a shooting match the carriers would need at least one each for protection when at sea. Also the tankers and support ships (supply chain) have yet to be built, as have the aircraft, we might have a spare destroyer for this mythical fleet. Were these white elephants actually thought through and planned. An ex RAF friend predicts mass resignations if sea time is inflicted on the RAF, the Navy no longer has a fleet air arm capable of operating from carriers.
 No chance! - sooty123
I read recently it had got so bad, the navy had to borrow people from the US coast guard. Seems particular bad in technical trades. Although the tankers are being built now, one has already been built. Again whether they'll be enough people in the RFA to operate them who knows, as again, they've a retention problem.
 No chance! - zippy
I love this country but at times I could scream!

We want the best in the world but are unwilling to pay for it!

Navy ratings get minimum wage £14.8k a year and it starts at £18.3k for Ratings.

Its not brilliant when supermarket workers get the same or better, though the pension is good, I doubt many men look that far ahead!

Navy personnel are trained professionals and deserve more.

Same with nurses. They now need a degree, fine. First the degree is free but numbers of new entrants drop. Then the degree is £9k a year, plus accommodation plus food, so don't expect much change from £20k per year and they wonder why applications have dropped!

We will end up bringing them in from foreign climbs again at greater expense then employing our own!

No chance! - Harleyman
Where the Army is concerned we already do and have for years; not just the Gurkhas but Fiji and a host of other present and former Commonwealth countries.

It's also only in recent times that we've started according our servicemen and women the respect they deserve for the job they do; and we still don't look after them properly when they're dumped on the scrapheap after their service, though admittedly this too has improved in recent years.
 No chance! - Roger.
Speaking as the father-in-law of a serving soldier, I can only concur.
The "perks" to offset relatively low wages have been steadily eroded over the years and there are severe shortages, particularly in the highly skilled trades.
 No chance! - Old Navy
>> Its not brilliant when supermarket workers get the same or better, though the pension is
>> good, I doubt many men look that far ahead!

The current pension is nowhere near as good as it was so is not the incentive for retention it was in my day.
 No chance! - BrianByPass
The problem is that politicians need to grandstand even when they know the country can't afford some projects. I put in that category HS2, Hinkley Point, Trident, NHS, Overseas Aid, ..... ...

The NHS in particular, where we all want to believe or pretend that it is the "best in the world" or the "envy of the world" but in fact it is no longer that if it ever was.

As a country we've taken on a huge mortgage to sustain our life style, in the hope that future generations will pay it off or our creditors will have to write off ( a la Greece ).

Last edited by: BrianByPass on Sun 12 Feb 17 at 14:19
 No chance! - TheManWithNoName
I'm surprised Argentina has not made another move on the Falklands knowing we don't have half the navy we did in the 80's
 No chance! - sooty123
They're in a far worse state than they were 30 odd years ago. Their air force, for example, is virtually grounded.
 No chance! - zippy
Don't we have an operational airbase on the island now? I know we had a runway in 1982 and it was taken out (soft of) by the RAF on an amazing mission (have a read of Vulcan 607)

The air support from 4 Typhoons should cause havoc to an invader and I guess that Tomahawks from a nearby attack sub (if operational) would probably be targeted at the attacking airbases.

No chance! - sooty123
>> Don't we have an operational airbase on the island now?

Yes, mount pleasant airfield.
 No chance! - zippy
Blimey it's huge....

binged.it/2kXzEia
 No chance! - Duncan
Wiki

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Mount_Pleasant
 No chance! - Old Navy
Good to see a few RAF aircraft down there, the Navy could not do anything useful. Even in 1982 the MOD had to charter civil ships for the supply chain, as for warships forget it.
 No chance! - four wheels good...
For a long time there has been an arrangement that certain merchantmen were used in times of need, called Ships Taken Up From Trade (STUFT). I believe they are designed to be fitted out with containers / portacabins with specific kit or additional accommodation.

The Atlantic Conveyer was one, carried helicopters and had the kit to be used as an extra helicopter operating platform. It was a disaster when it was sunk as it left only one Chinook in the area, it took the rest down with it.

No chance! - Duncan

>> The Atlantic Conveyer was one, carried helicopters and had the kit to be used as
>> an extra helicopter operating platform. It was a disaster when it was sunk as it
>> left only one Chinook in the area, it took the rest down with it.

Eggs in baskets.

Eggs in baskets!!
 No chance! - sooty123
> The Atlantic Conveyer was one, carried helicopters and had the kit to be used as an extra helicopter operating platform. It was a disaster when it was sunk as it left only one Chinook in the area, it took the rest down with it.

Also took all the kit for the harrier's forward air base down with it. There was going to be a temporary air base on the island so as to be closer to the front lines and therefore have less transit time. In the end there was a small refuelling point and that was it.
 No chance! - Mapmaker
>> Blimey it's huge....

I can see one helicopter, one v-winged aeroplane parked on grass that I assume to be a gate guardian and one 4-engined plane with airscrews, a Lancaster or similar no doubt.
 No chance! - Manatee
Looks like a Hercules.
 No chance! - Mapmaker
Yes. I was being slightly sarcastic...
 No chance! - Manatee
It did cross my mind.
 No chance! - rtj70
You'd hope they actually have some ground based missile defence systems. But with our military forces I'd not assume that.
 No chance! - MD
Lee Enfield .303 and a Commando knife. What more does a chap need?
 No chance! - sooty123
>> You'd hope they actually have some ground based missile defence systems. But with our military
>> forces I'd not assume that.
>>

There's is yes, a rapier detachment. Although it's soon to be replaced with a new bit of kit.
Back to the original subject.

No way would I consider going back to sea. I am now used to my home not bouncing around, not having helicopters landing on my roof and not having machinery noise all day every day amongst many other things.

It was generally fun in my younger days though and allowed me to do things and travel which I would not have done otherwise.

No chance! - Old Navy
Mine used to spend a bit of time underwater too. Otherwise +1 :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 13 Feb 17 at 16:23
>> Mine used to spend a bit of time underwater too. Otherwise +1 :-)
>>
Yes, we spent a lot of time and effort to avoid going that route. Had to keep the sun decks, deck hockey pitch, and barbeque areas above water.
 No chance! - Old Navy
I know how luxurious life is in the grey funnel line, I was a skimmer for four years before I was press ganged into the submarine service. Submarines also carry a barbeque, it is not used much though except when I spent two years roaming around the south Pacific, Coral and Tasman seas in a diesel submarine, most of it on the surface. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 14 Feb 17 at 08:21
Latest Forum Posts