Non-motoring > Axe or Saw? Green Issues
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 32

Axe or Saw? - movilogo
My tree surgeon disappeared leaving a heap of conifer branches lying in my garden :(

To cut them to smaller pieces, do I need an axe or a saw?

The tree branches have diameter similar to shorter size of a mobile phone.

I have used saw before to cut smaller branches but it was hard work and I couldn't move my arm next day.

Never used axe before.

I want to try myself first and failing which have to look for another tree surgeon.

PS: I am a DIY dummy. So if you can point a product that is available in B&Q, HomeBase, Wickes or Screwfix, that would be great :-)

Last edited by: movilogo on Mon 13 Feb 17 at 16:03
 Axe or Saw? - CGNorwich
Bow saw.

About a tenner to buy in any shed or on line

Axe or Saw? - smokie
Yep, don't get the big one either. I use one like this for similar work and it's really very good.

tinyurl.com/jj5xwhr
 Axe or Saw? - henry k
>> I have used saw before to cut smaller branches but it was hard work and
>> I couldn't move my arm next day.
>>
Possibly points to the wrong or a blunt saw.

>> Never used axe before.
>>
You would probably not be able to move anything the next day.

Yep. A bow saw is the best for you.

Then what to do with the logs ?

Axe or Saw? - Rudedog
Yes to a bow saw, get a good brand like Bahco, just be aware that there are two types of blade which can make quite a difference, the standard one that usually comes with the saw will be for old wood, you might want to think about the blade for 'green' wood as it tends not to stick on the sap wood.

www.bahcostore.com/itemparts/331-21-51-kp
Last edited by: Rudedog on Mon 13 Feb 17 at 16:52
 Axe or Saw? - Cliff Pope
>> >>
>> Possibly points to the wrong or a blunt saw.
>>

A bow saw with a fresh blade is a joy to use on 2" wood. It gets through it in about 3 strokes, with little more than the weight of the saw.

You do need a saw bench or some kind of firm support - it's hopeless trying to saw a branch in mid air while holding it with one hand. It's also very dangerous. I was doing that once and the saw bounced out of the cut and ripped across the back of my left hand.
Glove, at least in your free hand, and ideally a proper V-section bench to hold and guard.

Axes are for splitting logs along the grain, and if very sharp, for chopping small stuff into lengths. Felling trees and cutting logs with an axe is strictly for lumberjacks who have forgotten their chainsaw. It is hard work and very wasteful of wood.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Tue 14 Feb 17 at 08:42
 Axe or Saw? - Manatee
Bonfire?
 Axe or Saw? - Pat
Why not just post a message on your local Facebook or Streetlife pages offering it as it is Free to a good home for collection only?

Save the expense of a saw and all that hard work, not to mention the cost of a tube of Deep Heat:)

Pat
 Axe or Saw? - martin aston
It's not clear how thick these are but I assume that the short side of a mobile phone means about 2 inches?

What I use to dispose of stuff like this is to trim off all the thin growth from each branch with cheap long-armed loppers. These trimmings will compress surprisingly well into the green bin or cardboard boxes which you can take to the tip. The stout part of the branches that remain can also be taken to the tip. It's surprising how trimming like this makes the volume manageable.

It would be big tree if it's trimmed branches are longer than the 5 feet or so you can fit in a hatchback. But if necessary, they can be sawn. However loppers will also tackle up to about inch thick branches so you might be able to lop the thinner ends off what remains of the branches so that they are short enough to fit in the car for disposal.

Burning is a possibility but beware that conifers contain a lot of natural oil and may flare up so only burn at a good distance from buildings or live trees.

Having said all that it might be easier to pay a man with a van - not necessarily an expensive tree surgeon - to take it all away. They need to be licenced of course.
Last edited by: martin aston on Mon 13 Feb 17 at 22:21
 Axe or Saw? - Dog
This wood do the job, if you have a branch near yew:

www.wilko.com/all-hand-tools/wilko-tubular-bow-saw-24in/invt/0344221
 Axe or Saw? - movilogo
Thanks all - looks like bow saw is the answer. So, will look for a suitable one soon.

My plan is to cut the branches so that it fits in my brown bin. Not keen on carrying dead branches inside my car.

Axe or Saw? - Manatee
Bonfire. Are you too enclosed?

There's a chap down the road who seems to have a permanent one. Nobody knows his first name, they call him Bonfire Tomlinson.
 Axe or Saw? - smokie
You do need a fair bit of space for a bonfire, if you are to avoid bothering the neighbours. I'm on a fairly standard estate where I think they are not allowed but there is a bloke a few doors up who has one once in a while, often seems to be in summer when the windows are open, and it permeates the whole house. Mind you, so does next door's BBQ sometimes :-)
 Axe or Saw? - CGNorwich
Whilst I compost most stuff woody stuff like rose clippings and prunings from trees I usually burn. Leave it in a a heap behind the garage and let dry out through the summer.

In the autumn after dark so as not to annoy the neighbours I use one of those incinerators that look like a dustbin.

Surprising how much you can get rid of in an hour. the thing glows cherry red when it gets going!
 Axe or Saw? - Dulwich Estate II
" Surprising how much you can get rid of in an hour. "

Although you may get rid of it, the rest of have to breath in the tiny soot particles.
I use a log fire, for warmth, not appearance, but still can't get my head around this carbon neutral thing. I still feel slightly uncomfortable about polluting the atmosphere but nevertheess carry on. It's the same feeling about carrying on with my diesel car.

Personally, I stress personally, I would draw the line at burning simply as a method of disposal.

Perhaps not too logical and of course absolutely pointless when you consider what happens with all the chinese coal burning power stations and so on.
 Axe or Saw? - henry k
>> My plan is to cut the branches so that it fits in my brown bin.
Just be aware of the brown bin police.
My council has rules on how thick branches can be for bin disposal.

>> Not keen on carrying dead branches inside my car.
I keep the old bags that potting compost comes in and use them for small branches/ logs.
The alternative is a few " rubble bags" or thicker bin bags.
 Axe or Saw? - Ambo
For a secure grip on a round-section work piece cut a deep V groove along the top surface of your saw horse and hold the piece down in it.

I have a slightly older, but near enough identical Stihl sawhorse.

www.londonpowertools.co.uk/garden-tools-z/garden-machinery--spares-z4/stihl-metal-saw-horse~stia00008814607?gclid=CNbCgtbmj9ICFREUGwodph4C2A

The chain, on a strong spring, does a super job of keeping the wood in place. I paid £20 for mine on eBay some 10 years ago and still rate it one of my best buys. It's galvanised steel, sits out in all weathers and does the job.
 Axe or Saw? - movilogo
I bought a bow saw for wet wood from B&Q at lunch time. Will see how it works :-)

Axe or Saw? - Cliff Pope
Thanks for that link. I've always made my saw horses out of old timber, but as my current one nears collapse I was considering getting a good steel one.

But is it really galvanised? The Specification just says "painted grey".
I promise you that my own older version is galvanised. I didn't look too closely at the page link, I simply wanted to give an idea of what I've got.

Maybe the quality of Stihl stuff is going down like much else.
 Axe or Saw? - rtj70
In our previous house I needed to cut some branches off a tree at the front of the house. I couldn't use my bow saw (which is excellent still even if a bit rusty*) because of the space between branch and the wall it was pushing on.

So I got a rip saw. Still have it. Quite handy at times. Bow saw is quicker.

www.diy.com/departments/tools-equipment/power-tools/saws/reciprocating-saws/DIY1022896.cat?Ns=p_price%7C0&Nrpp=10

It wasn't too expensive - and cheaper than getting someone to do it. Current owner has taken down the tree but left the trunk... it's still pressing on the wall.

And the * reminds me I need to fix the garage door! It won't open. It's an up and over door and needs some attention. Thankfully no car stuck in there.
 Axe or Saw? - Mapmaker
Don't forget to wear leather gloves - at the least on the hand that isn't holding the saw. You're a novice, the saw will leave the cut, leather gloves will stop you from losing blood.
 Axe or Saw? - CGNorwich
A handy tip when using a bow saw is once the blade is below the surface level of the branch to put the thumb of your left hand (assuming you are right handed) over the cut. This will stop the blade jumping from the cut and causing injury.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 15 Feb 17 at 10:20
 Axe or Saw? - helicopter
Coming late to this thread.... I have an ongoing battle with my trees and hedges and know the problem well.

Firstly , you should have hired the tree surgeon on the basis that he removed the product of his labours which on conifers they term as 'brash'.

The guys I use have a grinder which strips the branches and grinds them to a woodchip size.

When I do it myself I use the long handled loppers to strip the smaller branches off the thickest branch and I find that they will cut a 2 inch thick branch . I do have a pruner chainsaw rather than a bow saw to cut the bigger thickness stuff which remains into manageble lengths.Volume reduces rapidly when you do this.

I have several large builders bags (with loops on each corner) to cart the resulting debris to the tip in the back of the CRV.

Bow saw is too much hard work..

Axe or Saw? - CGNorwich
I rather think that since Movilogo confesses to having no DIY skills a bow saw is a safer option than a chainsaw. Better a stiff arm than no arm! :-)
 Axe or Saw? - movilogo
>> you should have hired the tree surgeon on the basis that he removed the product

Yes I did and he made a runner. His quote did seem cheap compared to others and now I know why.

While I have not used bow saw before I do often cut tree branches with electric hedge trimmer and used hack saw to cut things before :-)

I am bit nervous about using petrol operated chain saws due to stories about "having no arm" but I wonder whether electric chain saws are less riskier.

Axe or Saw? - henry k
>> >> you should have hired the tree surgeon on the basis that he removed the product
>>
>> Yes I did and he made a runner. His quote did seem cheap compared to others and now I know why.
>>
Lots of info from us lot but I think we need a bit move info from you and then the appropriate tools can be selected
Is the tree lopping a regular task and if so how often ?
Will you be employing the same sort of lop and lope off " tree surgeon" again ?
Will you consider this a one off task and in future employ full a service, take all the debris away company and ensure it happens?

No point in collecting a lot of fancy tools for a one of job.
 Axe or Saw? - Clk Sec
>>When I do it myself I use the long handled loppers to strip the smaller branches off the >>branch and I find that they will cut a 2 inch thick branch.

Indeed, that's my DIY method. The long handled loppers work well on the relatively soft conifer branches.

Anything more strenuous is handled by a local tree surgeon.
 Axe or Saw - martin aston
Intersted to see more people supporting the lopper solution. There is a link in an earlier post to Wilco and you can buy there for £4-8 quid. Mine was a fiver from Woolies so that says how well it's lasted with regular use. i lay the cut branches of the ground and operate the lopper from a standing position and move my way up the branch....snip, snip snip... bin, bin bin. Much easier than sawing.

As for a chain saw, I used these in my youth until i had proper safety guidance which specifies things like thick padded jerkins with internal fibre to snag an errant broken chain and chain mail aprons to ensure your dangly bits stay dangly, should a chain break. It put me right off and I sold my saw right away!
 Axe or Saw - movilogo
www.standard.co.uk/news/london/tree-surgeon-killed-in-freak-chainsaw-accident-in-bermondsey-a3467566.html

Sad incident.

I never used chain saw and probably will never use. Isn't there any safety mechanism in chain saws so that this accidents don't happen?

My less powerful electric hedge trimmer requires two hands to operate and as soon as on hand is off it stops.

Why there are so many accidents involving chain saws?

Axe or Saw - Cliff Pope

>>
>> My less powerful electric hedge trimmer requires two hands to operate and as soon as
>> on hand is off it stops.
>>
>> Why there are so many accidents involving chain saws?
>>

A hedge trimmer has a reciprocating action, so there is very little net pull on the user.
A chainsaw has a continuously rotating chain against whose bite the user must brace himself. If the teeth suddenly engage or disengage, or if the upper returning teeth suddenly catch on the side of the cut, the saw can buck and tend to kick upwards or jump out of the user's hands.
There is an automatic brake which triggers if the saw kicks and knocks the user's left hand, but it inevitably is pretty crude and cannot react to all situations.

I have speculated whether it might be possible to design a saw that had two close contra-rotating chains to even out the reaction.
 Axe or Saw - No FM2R
Depends how much you've got. These are fun.

www.hss.com/hire/p/portable-garden-chipper-petrol
Latest Forum Posts