Non-motoring > IKEA Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 46

IKEA - Roger.
Today, we had our second visit to an IKEA (EEKEEAH !) store since our return to the UK 6 years ago. The shopping experience is just vile beyond comparison. (Leeds, or more accurately, Batley).
There is a real trudge around a labyrinth of arrow directed departments (yes ,I know it's designed to get you past all their stock. I felt like a lab rat in a maze.)
Redemption came, (after we had bought the lamp we came for + two impulse buys, so their ploy worked !) in the restaurant, where we had really quite nice meatballs, lovely chips, loganberry sauce, gravy, plus for dessert, cheesecake and a bottle of fizzy water The bill for the two of us came to £13.30 all in.
Good value.
 IKEA - Dave_
I can man-shop in there, we look up online exactly what's needed first and I can get around and out in under 30 minutes. With you on the meatballs though.
 IKEA - Dog
T'was a day out for us, driving our Citroen AX diseasal from Los Cristianos to IKEA oop North near Puerto de la Cruz.

Replaced all the orange pine dining room furniture with some nice antique pine stuff, which included a sideboard. When I come to think about, it most of our casa was furnished from IKEA :(
 IKEA - rtj70
>> There is a real trudge around a labyrinth of arrow directed departments

I know the feeling. There's always shortcuts if you know where you're really heading.

And a lot of stock is cheap because it's rubbish. Some is very good value though.

Be warned, bed bases take IKEA sized mattresses I am told. And kitchen units are very low to the ground. I've got neither.
 IKEA - Manatee
I don't know about the kitchen units being low, but I can tell you that they do no have service voids at the back, and some builders are not keen on installing them.
 IKEA - CGNorwich
Why do they do that? Is it just a money saving thing?
 IKEA - rtj70
I only know about the units being low in passing when talking to an ex neighbour we use for general DIY stuff. We had thought me might go down the IKEA kitchen route when needed. Not so sure anymore.
 IKEA - henry k
>>Be warned, bed bases take IKEA sized mattresses I am told.
Fortunately I knew that when I needed an immediate replacement for the next tenants in my
daughter's flat. A trek to Croydon and return with it on the roof bars.

>> And kitchen units are very low to the ground.
Not aware of that.
I spent a long time in the maze researching and measuring kitchen cabinets, door hinge centers etc.
I needed to create two non standard tall cupboards in my daughters flat.
My designs worked and the finished job looked really really good.
i needed the very tallest cabinets plus top boxes to fit on the top.
Just two doors to cover the height , hence all the measuring.
One cupboard was reduced to 400 deep and the other had no back as it fitted around water tanks.
To the lower door on the 400 I attached the kick board so a hoover could be wheeled into the cupboard.

The order for all the cabinets plus bookcases etc. was placed and all delivered for IIRC £35
Sub contractors in a white van arrived to be told it is three floors up and no lift.
I ready felt sorry for then as Ikea stuff is very heavy so I gave them a tip.
 IKEA - rtj70
>> The order for all the cabinets plus bookcases etc. was placed and all delivered for IIRC £35

When we moved in here we got a few bits from IKEA. Delivery on the next day was about £35. We had to buy all the stuff and get to the delivery point.

Delivery arrived the very next day without a problem. Lots of assembling followed (office, dining and bedroom furniture).
 IKEA - spamcan61
>>There is a real trudge around a labyrinth of arrow directed departments (yes ,I know it's >>designed to get you past all their stock. I felt like a lab rat in a maze.)

Hell yeah; when I was working out in Stockholm in 2010 I used to eat in IKEA on a more or less daily basis (as the food there was amazingly cheap by Stockholm standards). Unsurprisingly the mothership store has much the same labrynith, I managed to find a few short cuts over the weeks but it was still a faff getting from the entrance to the cafe.
 IKEA - Roger.
Yes: much of the stock is LCD. We looked at fitted sheets etc., too and they were (a) cheap and (b) nasty.
The lamp we bought is rather nice, though, (SINNERLIG in their quaint nomenclature), and has an art-deco look about it, with a frosted glass shade.
It was to go on top of our Ercol corner cabinet, which latter holds our modest collection of Clarice Cliff pottery, so the theme is following on. It lights up a dark corner well.
It was not very cheap, at £29 + a 2 X LED bulb set at £4.
There were some globe shaped lamps there at about twelve quid, but they were cheap and flimsy.
Our impulses were (1) a linen basket at £1.60 ish and (2) a multi-photo frame at £6 ish.
Oh - nearly forgot: a real orchid plant thingy chosen by the lady wife.
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 15 Feb 17 at 09:00
 IKEA - smokie
I recent;y needed a bit of wood for some boxing in I am doing, and the sheds and timber yards, where they had such a piece (only wanted a bare pine-type which I could stain, about 2ft x 1.5ft) wanted an arm and a leg for it. I got a shelf from Ikea for a fiver, which was perfect.

We had an indy do a new kitchen for my daughter. Her kitchen is really small. Once he'd measured it, he said that Ikea would fit it much better than standard one so that's what she got. Seems OK to me.
 IKEA - mikeyb
My experience with Ikea has been that the cheaper furniture is just as good as the more expensive stuff. I bought the cheap range Aneboda" for my boys bedrooms - it lasted well, and it led a hard life.

Worth joining the family club - free coffee during the week and cheaper breakfasts
 IKEA - Bromptonaut
We went to IKEA in Milton Keynes on Saturday. Planned purchase was a 'Gnedby' CD rack requested by my daughter.

Different layout to Leeds in that both cafe and 'Market Place' can be accessed without going through the showroom. In fact we arrived before it opened at 10. Cafe fully working though

Very nice full breakfast for less than £3 then quick whizz thru' the showroom to ensure we'd identified required item and it's location in the warehouse. We'd intended to look for some bits/bobs for the caravan in the Market Place - sorted. Also remembered how astonishingly cheap IKEA is for office sundrys so a dozen 'Fluns' storage boxes went in the bag too.

One impulse purchase - a new recycling bin for kitchen as we no longer need to sort paper, tins and glass, all goes in the blue wheely bin now.

When the kids were little we occasionally used the Birmingham store as alternative M/way services. Cheap and clean, decent kids food and, unlike Hilton Park, useable if headed for North Wales via J10A.
 IKEA - sooty123
Reading this thread made me think, I've never been in an IKEA store. I wonder, is that unusual on here?
 IKEA - Clk Sec
>> I wonder, is that unusual on here?

Not entirely. Despite there being a large Ikea just a few miles away, I haven't set foot in it or in any other.

Did recently visit an Aldi for the first time, but have yet to sample the delights of Lidl.
 IKEA - sooty123
Not entirely. Despite there being a large Ikea just a few miles away, I haven't
>> set foot in it or in any other.

The nearest one to me is probably 50/60 miles, i think, so distance plays it's part. We are never just passing one.

>>
>> Did recently visit an Aldi for the first time, but have yet to sample the
>> delights of Lidl.
>>

They are both much of a muchness tbh.
 IKEA - Roger.
As a shopping experience, it is ghastly.
Herded like cattle around a laid out, arrow directed route.
Some of the merchandise is cheap & nasty, some is just cheap (and quite good).
I would never go there unless I had a specific item in mind, which was not obtainable easily elsewhere.
A new one is being built in Sheffield, not far from Meadowhall shopping centre.
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 20 Feb 17 at 09:00
 IKEA - sooty123
>> As a shopping experience, it is ghastly.
>> Herded like cattle around a laid out, arrow directed route.
>> Some of the merchandise is cheap & nasty, some is just cheap (and quite good).
>> I would never go there unless I had a specific item in mind, which was
>> not obtainable easily elsewhere.

Do they not have online shopping?
 IKEA - Roger.
Yes, but delivery charges are quite high.
 IKEA - Pat
I've never been in an IKEA store and have no wish to.

I absolutely hate the whole shopping experience of any store and much prefer to do it online.

Pat
 IKEA - Bromptonaut
Anybody else been amused by people who have bought stuff that won't fit in their car?

We did and then ended up being (nearly) hoist by our own petard.

Offending item was a settee. Checked measurements carefully and ascertained it would fit in the Berlingo, albeit with milimetres to spare, with all three rear seats removed. Took 'em out and left in lounge at home.

Mistake was to assume that settee came shrink wrapped from the pick up point adjacent to main store. Turned out to be in main warehouse in a box six inches longer than item itself.

Fortunately the front passenger seat's recline mechanism also allows it to fold forwards. Package then JUST fitted sitting on it's side. Could just see n/s door mirror underneath it.

No seat for Mrs B though. She went to cafe while I went home, left settee in 'lingo as no way I could get it out single handed, and returned in the Roomster to pick her up.

She been quite happy for 90 minutes using IKEA wifi to browse academic papers for her PHd so no everlasting blame; unlike the towel I left at Ennerdale Youth Hostel in 1988!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 20 Feb 17 at 09:54
 IKEA - Zero

>> so no everlasting blame; unlike the towel I left at Ennerdale Youth Hostel
>> in 1988!!

Try breaking your hip, in a foreign country, on your wifes 60th Birthday. Then you'll get some idea of what real everlasting blame is.
 IKEA - Bromptonaut
>> Try breaking your hip, in a foreign country, on your wifes 60th Birthday. Then you'll
>> get some idea of what real everlasting blame is.

Indeed it was only a towel. Just a plain brown bog-standard shower towel, not even a range topping extra soft job.

AND we got it back when visiting hostel again at Easter 89.
 IKEA - bathtub tom
>> Try breaking your hip, in a foreign country, on your wifes 60th Birthday. Then you'll
>> get some idea of what real everlasting blame is.

Is that like buying yourself a parachute jump for you 40th birthday, breaking an ankle and winding up in hospital the same time as she's arranged a massive party?

We're still married!
 IKEA - rtj70
>> Anybody else been amused by people who have bought stuff that won't fit in their car?

Yes - but our nearest Ikea (maybe all of them) offer a white van delivery service which was a reasonable price if you were buying lots of items. We bought a fair few items when we got this house (wardrobes, dining table, sideboard, chairs, etc). and always planned on getting them delivered.

I think was only £25 to get the whole lot delivered the next day. Picking up all the items on two trolleys in the warehouse took a bit of time.
 IKEA - Dog
>>I absolutely hate the whole shopping experience of any store and much prefer to do it online.

I'm with ^this geyser :o
 IKEA - VxFan
>> I've never been in an IKEA store.

Me neither. I can't even recall passing one.
 IKEA - Zero

>> Me neither. I can't even recall passing one.

Memory loss is the worse part of ageing.
 IKEA - VxFan
>> Memory loss is the worse part of ageing.

Not loss of memory.

I've just looked up where the nearest IKEA stores are to me.

Reading. Haven't been there since I was 16 or 17.

Milton Keynes. Last time I went into MK was in 1988 or 1989 to a rock concert at The Bowl. Been through the outskirts of MK a few times since on the way to Santa Pod raceway.

Southampton. Only been there once, back in 1985. Rest of the time the closest I've got is passing it along the motorway, on the way to Bournemouth,.

Bristol. Now that was a bit more recent. 2002'ish to the Zoo.

That said, I've still no desire to visit an IKEA store anytime soon.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Feb 17 at 12:57
 IKEA - commerdriver
>> >> I've never been in an IKEA store.
>>
>> Me neither. I can't even recall passing one.
>>
We have been in at least 6 different ones over the years, very useful for furnishing & other bits like crockery for kids first homes / university flats etc.
Have also found items in holiday cottages recognisable as Ikea items on several occasions.
 IKEA - Bromptonaut

>> Have also found items in holiday cottages recognisable as Ikea items on several occasions.
>

Yup. 'Shabby chic' Logis hotel we stayed in a Wimereux last year had 'aged' effect IKEA bedside tables.
 IKEA - Bromptonaut
The store round here should have been just off the M1 by Junction 16.

Proposed site straddled the boundary between Northampton Borough and South Northants District Council. While the Borough was enthusiastic SNDC cavilled over permissions. In meantime site at MK in development area round Bletchley/Denby came available and made an attractive offer......

Still only 40mins away though.
 IKEA - Timeonmyhands
On the odd occasion I've been the taxi to IKEA, J9 M6, I have always thought the layout of the store was a disaster waiting to happen fire wise.
I imagine panicking shoppers running around like headless chickens, tripping over and being trampled as flames and noxious gasses kill them.
I don't like IKEA.
 IKEA - Old Navy
>> We went to IKEA in Milton Keynes on Saturday.
>>

You must be mad! You went near shops at a weekend? :-)
 IKEA - neiltoo
Exactly.
I wouldn't go near an IKEA at weekend.
Made the mistake of going midweek last week - half term! - as bad as weekend.
Turned around for a sharp exit.

8o(
 IKEA - Bromptonaut
>> You must be mad! You went near shops at a weekend? :-)

Being a semi retired person I'g normally avoid it. However time was pressing to get the item for Miss B so we can take it down to Plymouth next weekend. Manhandling the CD rack needs two of us. Working patterns meant we're not both free any weekday this week or last.

Oh and Berlingo needed a service, dealer is about a mile from IKEA. Left booking it too late for a courtesy car, cos she doesn't tell me the service spanner's been showing for days. I saw it as soon as I drove the b thing w/e before but by then it's 400 to go. It's doing 600miles to Cornwall and back next weekend and I don't like my cars being overdue a service.

So it's 2 cars job.

Dropped 'lingo off, nipped over to IKEA in Roomie. Early doors, car park empty. Got everything except the furniture item (but sorted where it was in Warehouse).

Back to Perrys, picked up the 'lingo and back to IKEA. Car park now rammed but we eventually found adjacent spaces. Stowed furniture item in 'lingo and home in time for lunch!!

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 20 Feb 17 at 16:41
 IKEA - CGNorwich
As an amusing aside I see that following Trump's claim of a Swedish terrorist attack Twitter now has #jesuisIkea for those in solidarity with the "victims"
 IKEA - BrianByPass
>> As an amusing aside I see that following Trump's claim of a Swedish terrorist attack
>> Twitter now has #jesuisIkea for those in solidarity with the "victims"
>>

Swedish "terrorist attack"?

That how "fake news" accusation gain ground..

Trump said no such thing.

This is what he said on Saturday: “You look at what’s happening in Germany. You look at what’s happening last night in Sweden. Sweden. Who would believe this? Sweden. They took in large numbers. They’re having problems like they never thought possible.”

He was referring to the problems Sweden faces due to immigration policy.
twitter.com/LanceStrasser/status/833288285623549952

When he said "last night", he was referring to the documentary shown on Fox TV on Friday night.

In his own words: twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/833435244451753984
Donald J. Trump
(@realDonaldTrump)
My statement as to what's happening in Sweden was in reference to a story that was broadcast on @FoxNews concerning immigrants & Sweden.
February 19, 2017
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Mon 20 Feb 17 at 22:05
 IKEA - No FM2R
>>This is what he said on Saturday: “You look at what’s happening in Germany. You look at
>>what’s happening last night in Sweden. Sweden. Who would believe this? Sweden. >>They took in large numbers. They’re having problems like they never thought possible.”

>>When he said "last night", he was referring to the documentary shown on Fox TV on Friday
>>night.

Oh I see, the thought it was a live news report. And there was me thinking he was a t***.

Oh no, wait..............
 IKEA - rtj70
He was wrong to mention Sweden. He was referring to a particular event that did not happen. He used the words: 'last night'. Nothing happened.

Please don't defend him. Let him try to do it poorly himself.
 IKEA - DP
Look up what you want online. Check stock and jot down the warehouse aisle locations.
Arrive 10 mins before opening. Park nice and close to the exit
Go the exit doors, and find a trolley.
When the store opens, go in the exit and directly to the warehouse.
Use the aisle locations to find what you need.
Load the trolley, pay (with no queue) and get out.

My record is driving down the exit ramp of the multi-storey in the Southampton branch with the boot full of the stuff I wanted at 9:12 on a Saturday morning (the store opened at 9:00).

Some of the stuff is really good. We have wardrobes in our bedroom that look fitted (but aren't), were fully customised to our needs, and were a tenth of the price of proper fitted stuff. Eldest daughter's room is all IKEA, as is our conservatory furniture and various other bits through the house such as bookshelves, some lights, and a couple of armchairs. The shopping experience though, unless done as above, is painful.
 IKEA - rtj70
As DP says some things are good quality. The best we got for the price were the solid wood extending table and sideboard. They are heavy items (self assemble of course). Table will seat with ease 8 unextended. Extends two sizes to max of 12. No way will we need that.

Durable items too. We've had them approaching 7 years. Time flies.
 IKEA - Bromptonaut
You're pushing the envelope there BbP.

He referred to 'what's happening last night'. He juxtaposed that with references to France and Belgium as well as Germany. If he was talking about the Fox News item then as POTUS he needs to find reliable sources - surely he has plenty.

It's not just the Guardian or the BBC that have pointed out Sweden actually has very little crime problem wuth immigrants - www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/20/donald-trumps-claims-sweden-might-exaggerated-arent-lies/

At very best it's the sort of careless speaking that lends itself to misinterpretation. How many Americans now think there was a terror attack in Sweden last week?

Still, it's given the wittier posters on Twitter lots of material......
 IKEA - Bromptonaut
And if you think Lance Strasser is a reliable source over the BBC or Guardian you're deluded.
 IKEA - Roger.
>> And if you think Lance Strasser is a reliable source over the BBC or Guardian
>> you're deluded.

There speaks a left-leaning EUrophile who know that both the Guardian AND the BBC accurately reflect his own views. ;-)
 IKEA - The Melting Snowman
We went once about ten years ago to the Bristol branch. Never went back again. We were looking for some kitchen accessories thinking that we would be able to buy quality Swedish items but it seemed that there was a lot of stuff sourced from the far East. There didn't seem any particular advantage compared to just popping down to Wilkinson's for what we wanted.

There were far too many people and noisy kids running around treating the place as some sort of playground, although we perhaps made the mistake of going at a weekend. I think in the end we came away with some tumblers and left it at that. Maybe they should offer a discount day mid-week for pensioners, as B&Q did, maybe still do?

I find all shopping a bore, from the traffic to fighting to find somewhere to park (and often paying), to disinterested customer 'service' agents. The internet is a gift from above.
Latest Forum Posts