Non-motoring > Saga twist. Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 28

Saga twist. - Roger.
I've just bought house and contents insurance from Saga, whose quote was competitive for the cover provided. I researched, arranged sums assured, and paid online.
On looking at the downloaded policy documents, I was horrified to find they were charging a £20, so called "arrangement fee", over and above the policy quoted price, (the latter confirmed to me by email).
I phoned them and after ranting a bit about misleading practices, got them to agree to waive the twenty quid.
Be aware if you are thinking of buying from Saga.
 Saga twist. - Old Navy
I binned Saga for both house and car insurance last month, crazy renewal price increases they would not shift from.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Feb 17 at 18:30
 Saga twist. - Manatee
That has been my experience with Saga.
 Saga twist. - CGNorwich
Have to say that their Platinum credit card is one of the best for foreign travel.
 Saga twist. - Stuartli
You've not heard of the Halifax Clarity Credit Card then?

tinyurl.com/j75bqd6

Saved me a fortune over the years...:-)
 Saga twist. - bathtub tom
>> I binned Saga for both house and car insurance last month, crazy renewal price increases
>> they would not shift from.

I had the same experience ON after I'd been with them for several years. During my time with them they didn't raise the premiums by more than a few pounds year to year.
 Saga twist. - Old Navy
It was the same with me, a gentle acceptable drift up for years and then trying a massive one this year. I'm not falling for that one! They were nowhere near competitive.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 17 Feb 17 at 21:10
 Saga twist. - Ted

Fortunately, Saga have their name printed on the back of their envelopes. Saves all that tedious opening of their mail and reading it before putting it in the recycling bin.
 Saga twist. - Roger.
I paid £95.01 with Saga (not including the con-trick £20). Last year I paid around £92 with Kwik Fit: this year they tried a fit-up of £135, with no claims having been made.
The policy with Saga has lower excesses, but otherwise is much the same.
 Saga twist. - Crankcase
£95? Flip me doodly. Nearer £400 here and I hardly live in a mansion or in a dodgy area, also no claims. Blinking Cambridge effect again I bet.
 Saga twist. - Clk Sec
They try to sell me motor insurance every year, but each quote they give is way above the
others that I receive.

I had contents insurance with them years ago, and I remember one relatively small claim seemed to involve rather more faff than I thought necessary.
 Saga twist. - NortonES2
Cambridge:

"For Cambridge people rarely smile,

Being urban, squat, and packed with guile;"

:)
 Saga twist. - Duncan
I always use a couple of the comparison sites and then choose one of the cheaper quotes - not normally the cheapest. I pick a name that I recognise, of late it seems to be LV.

The annoying thing is that the sites don't, can't, or won't, realise that there are two of us in this household with two different cars and we have different first names.
 Saga twist. - Roger.
>> £95? Flip me doodly. Nearer £400 here and I hardly live in a mansion or
>> in a dodgy area, also no claims. Blinking Cambridge effect again I bet.
>>
>>

Move to a small, box-like semi, with two bedrooms, valued at around £100K, built in the mid 1980s and located in a cheap part of North Nottinghamshire................................
 Saga twist. - Crankcase
Downsizing (or is moving out of the area known as outsizing?) is probably on the cards, Roger, and somewhere n the Dukeries might be on the list. Along with...oh, anywhere cheaper than here.

So that's not London but is pretty much the rest of the UK then.
 Saga twist. - Harleyman

>> Move to a small, box-like semi, with two bedrooms, valued at around £100K, built in
>> the mid 1980s and located in a cheap part of North Nottinghamshire................................
>>

It may well be central-ish and reasonably convenient for transport links, but there isn't a lot else to recommend it, unless you like Clumber Park and Sherwood Forest.
 Saga twist. - Manatee
Worksop is a tidy little town with two Greggses, a Greenwood's menswear, and a brand new bus station, the roads and footways are in a damned sight better state than ours in Hertfordshire, the fleshpots of Sheffield aren't far away, and the Peak District just beyond. Historic Lincoln a little to the east (watch for the no-right-turn police). It isn't necessary to go to Nottingham. You can go to Skeggy for your holidays or Barnsley market for a run out. The nearby A1 allows for rapid escape if it all gets too much.

Don't tell everybody, they'll all want to live there.
 Saga twist. - CGNorwich
Worried about the two Greggses. :-). Where is the nearest Waitrose?
 Saga twist. - Roger.
>> Worried about the two Greggses. :-). Where is the nearest Waitrose?
>>

Sheffield - and they don't deliver to Worksop, although Ocado do.
 Saga twist. - CGNorwich
Newark has a branch I believe. Can't be too far. That's a nice town. I think I could live there.
 Saga twist. - tyrednemotional
>> Newark has a branch I believe. Can't be too far. That's a nice town. I
>> think I could live there.
>>

....expensive council tax, though......
 Saga twist. - CGNorwich

>> ....expensive council tax, though......
>>

Is it? Can't be much different from anywhere else in Lincs can it?
 Saga twist. - tyrednemotional
...fourth highest in the country, ISTR (and it's in Notts ;-) )
 Saga twist. - Bromptonaut
>> Is it? Can't be much different from anywhere else in Lincs can it?

Newark and Sherwood is Nottinghamshire not Lincs. Band D CT is around £1700, which is at top end of range. Here in South Northants for example it's £1500.
 Saga twist. - CGNorwich
I stand corrected. Realistically though a £200 a year difference in council tax isn't going to be huge influence in somebody deciding where to live I would have thought
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 19 Feb 17 at 19:27
 Saga twist. - Manatee
>> Worried about the two Greggses. :-). Where is the nearest Waitrose?

There's an Asda, where I parked, within hoofing distance hoofing the town centre. I bought a bottle of Jim Beam there for £13. Waitrose price £17. Say no more;)
 Saga twist. - CGNorwich
I bought a bottle of Jim Beam there for £13. Waitrose price £17. Say no more;)

Thats's all very well but Asda don't have organic Kale, fresh octopus and Tomato and Basil Yogurt do they?
 Saga twist. - Roger.
Cheap houses, too!
Band "A" council tax is circa £1k.
A big unexpected benefit for us, is that our grandchildren are at school in York, so we are able to provide transport to LBA at half and end of term, as well as recently taking our grandson to the orthodontist in Harrogate. The school, naturally, charges quite a lot for such services.
It's a help for our daughter's budget, which we are pleased to do.
We, as nominated guardians, have also attended parent's evenings, if our daughter has not been able to make the trip from originally, Suffolk and now, Northern Ireland.

Clumber Park (NT) is nice, but parking is b. expensive at well over a fiver, unless you a NT member, which itself is expensive these days, (although good value if one can make FULL use of the opportunities to visit its properties.)

Fleshpots don't appeal, although the delights (!) of Meadowhall with free parking are only a dozen miles away.

Worksop, I am sure, is the invalid carriage capital of England. I've never seen so many cluttering up the pavements anywhere else!
 Saga twist. - bathtub tom
>>Worksop, I am sure, is the invalid carriage capital of England. I've never seen so many cluttering up the pavements anywhere else!

Never been to Skeggy then? I've never seen so many. The ultimate sight was a very large lady on one with a 2-litre bottle of cola and a bag of doughnuts.
Latest Forum Posts