Non-motoring > Doris Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 102

Doris - Dog
Power orf when I stirred at 6:45. I have a few battery-operated LED lights knocking around, including one in the loo.

18° indoors, quite good considering the heating went orf at 22:00 last night = ye olde cottidge see.

Fired up the battery-operated radio to see if the world was still there ... it is :(

Did the ole woman's porridge on the gas hob instead of the microwave. Boiled some water in a saucepan for tea.

Did meself a couple of flied eggs to break my fast - life goes on, knowlmean.

Forgot to add - no water either, being we're on a borehole, and the pump works by ...!
Last edited by: Dog on Thu 23 Feb 17 at 08:30
 Doris - Crankcase
All sounded bearable but a nuisance until the last sentence - that could be a worry quite quickly?

There's some saying somewhere about us all being about two meals away from the collapse of civilisation.

If your power cut lasts, let's say three days, how much trouble would you be in, Dog? Imagine all of Cornwall has no power - so you can't buy anything because the shops can't open. You can't put fuel in your car because the pumps won't work.

Doesn't take very long before a bit of a nuisance becomes a bit of a problem becomes blinking anarchy. A day? Two? A week?
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 23 Feb 17 at 08:38
 Doris - Zero

>> Doesn't take very long before a bit of a nuisance becomes a bit of a
>> problem becomes blinking anarchy. A day? Two? A week?

On C4P its about two nano seconds.
 Doris - Fursty Ferret
>> On C4P its about two nano seconds.

Power cut? Priorities, man...

i.imgur.com/Iu9f1kf.png

Would put the cat on a treadmill in a heartbeat if I thought it'd power the broadband router.
 Doris - Cliff Pope
In rural west Wales power cuts are a way of life. We never know know long they are going to last - a flicker that merely stops clocks, a few minutes just long enough for us to have lit the oil lamps before it comes on again. or several hours.

We are on well water pumped electrically, but there is always a small tank full in the attic to use carefully. As a last resort we can fill a kettle from the hand-pump in the traditional way
(Bucket and rope is obsolete nowadays)

We cook on solid fuel during the cold months anyway as the stove is going all day.
The only mildly serious consequence of a prolonged power cut is that the radiator circulation pump of course doesn't work, so we'd have to be careful not to let the stove get too hot.
 Doris - Dog
>>If your power cut lasts, let's say three days, how much trouble would you be in, Dog?

I would buy a petrol-operated generator if things ever became THAT bad Cc.

My bore hole is in a field. Water is pumped to a vessel which lives in what would have been the olde outhouse back in the 18th century. I can still get some gravity-fed water from that vessel, until it runs dry. Neighb is on mains water and she would help us out if the need should arise and if all else fails, there's always the large lake 3 minutes walk from here ... to drown myself in :o

Also, I've got the ole wood burner and could cook on that if Trump and Putin have a ruck!!!
 Doris - Crankcase
Ah, Dog, Dog.

:)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9T3R3EQg

Minute 30 and on...

Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 23 Feb 17 at 09:18
 Doris - Dog
>>www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6U9T3R3EQg

Two pints per day! .. howl come that increased to two litres in the 21st century??

Also, I have a clome oven in my inglenook, so we're well set up for when the wind blows ;)
 Doris - Crankcase
>>howl come that increased to two litres in the 21st century??

Questions like that always evoke a "follow the money" response in me, at least initially.

Anyway, if the wind does blow, this will might put the willies up you good and proper.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZrKcxGhe5M
 Doris - R.P.
That dreadful Biffa company collects the rubbish here.Usually it's a haphazard mess after they've been on a Thursday. Put the bins out as usual last night (forgot about Doris). Went out expecting a scene of recycling devastation - not only they;d collected before 8.00am (usually around 3pm) they'd neatly stacked the full spectrum (literally) of coloured bins that the People's Republic of Anglesey provide. I've had to sit down for a while.
 Doris - Dog
>>if the wind does blow, this will might put the willies up you good and proper.

Brilliant Cc! .. I'll watch that later after I've brought some more logs in.

I MUST get one of those Amazon Fire sticks so I can watch this stuff on the telly, although I may as well hang on for the new Alexa one now, which isn't being released (here) until April 6th.
 Doris - Dog
I think you may have listened to this before maybe Cc: www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UBcIj7JWs
 Doris - Crankcase
>> I think you may have listened to this before maybe Cc: www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UBcIj7JWs

Always worth revisiting things Dog.

In the unlikely event you've not had this at the top of your playlist, may I recommend this, which I've played many a time? I'll admit it's a grower, not a toe-tapper.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjnAE5go9dI
 Doris - Dog
Reminds me a bit of Eno ya know Cc.
I like this comment: ""The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." Kalil Gibran.

I was thinking only yesterday of how much grief I/we carry around with us. Losing my mother and a best friend was a biggie for me 20 years ago.
Since then I've lost two more best friends, one of whom was an older brother but, as I say, life goes on, until...
 Doris - bathtub tom
If you bought a generator, how long do you think it would be before some scrote nicked when they heard it running?

I'm currently hunkered down in a log cabin on the Welsh border, four miles from the nearest civilisation, in front of a wood burner. There's a couple of trees down nearby and I'm hearing many local roads are closed, but we've still got electric and internet.
 Doris - sherlock47
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/23/plane-forced-treacherous-landing-storm-doris/

Interesting video - but have see worse. FF comments?
 Doris - Dog
>>If you bought a generator, how long do you think it would be before some scrote nicked when they heard it running?

Bin 'ere 6 years now = 3 x mancaves, all unlocked containing various power tools. This ain't Engerland you know!

>>I'm currently hunkered down in a log cabin on the Welsh border, four miles from the nearest civilisation, in front of a wood burner

Right up my street bathtub.!
 Doris - legacylad
Currently awaiting the arrival of friends who flew out from LBA mid morning... Jet2 departed on time. High cloud here, occasional warm sun, very sheltered from the wind on our patio here in Moraira.
Beats the weather in not so sunny Settle!
 Doris - Roger.
I just hope the worst is over by Sunday AM, as we are picking up our grandchildren from LBA.
 Doris - CGNorwich
The worst will be over by this evening Roger. The storm is just passing through Norwich and will be over the Norh sea soon. Enjoy the grandchildren.
 Doris - Manatee
The boss went to t'London this morning and is now stranded. Euston station closed and delays at Marylebone.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 23 Feb 17 at 18:31
 Doris - Manatee
Doris has gone very quiet here. Just like that.
 Doris - CGNorwich
Doris has indeed left the building

Impressed with the Met office's forecasts regards the timings track and strength of the storm.
 Doris - Old Navy
There is a post quoted in a Daily Mail article,

Weather warning,
Southerners are urged not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Northerners, you will need your big coat.
 Doris - Cliff Pope
But her younger sister Doreen is due on Saturday. Predicted to be less boisterous though.
 Doris - Pat
Ian's lorry has been blown over just outside of March and he is trapped in it but unhurt so I'm told.

There's so many blown over around here that it would be useless trying to get to him.

I have spoken to him though and he assures me he's fine, just can't get out of the lorry......but he would tell me that.

It's driving me mad sitting here waiting.

Pat
 Doris - CGNorwich
I'm sure he will be OK Pat. Try not to worry! Let us know when they get him out

This isn't him is it?

www.itv.com/news/anglia/update/2017-02-23/police-report-another-lorry-off-the-road/
 Doris - Pat
No, he was just behind that one then it happened to him about 6 miles up the road.

Still haven't heard any more. I'm getting in the car and going up there if I don't hear soon.

Pat

Doris - CGNorwich
Take care!
 Doris - Manatee
Hope he's OK Pat, sounds as if he is so I hope you can stop worrying now you've spoken to him.

The sound of it here was frightening last night, I imagine the Fens were worse.

There is still some serious wind here as in many places, small branches everywhere and I have driven round a couple of big ones. Turned round at one junction where the police had closed the road, almost certainly a tree or large limb down. I would have stayed in but for some prior commitments.

Power has been off and on, probably not the last of that.
 Doris - Pat
Just rang Brett's again and apparently the emergency services are stil getting him out and he's being taken to Hospital but I don't know which one yet. Still saying it's just a precaution.

Pat
 Doris - Old Navy
Don't dash about and risk damaging yourself, you will be more help to Ian in one piece!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 23 Feb 17 at 15:28
 Doris - Dog
Awful, must be a great worry for you .. I'm getting the twitch just thinking about being in a lorry which has blown over. Why did they let them go out (says the missus) if they knew what the wev was gonna be like??
 Doris - Manatee
Or at least restrict speeds when winds exceed limits for high sided vehicles.

Observation from Wittering at 14.50 - 48mph gusting to 61. Weybourne sounds no fun at 54-76.

xcweather.co.uk/
 Doris - Pat
Last word I said to him was 'Remember only go as fast in this wind as you want to slide down the road on your side'

He replied, 'Don't worry, the b*ggers behind me can wait':)

It's the gusts her today that have done the damage.

Don't even know if I can get to the hospital when I find out which one he's been taken to.

Pat
 Doris - Old Navy
Doesn't a transport company have any responsibility for their employees (drivers) health and safety? Or can they say "drivers can stop"?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 23 Feb 17 at 15:48
 Doris - Pat
Drivers decision ON because they are the ones out there and can see what it's doing.

But peer pressure has a lot to do with it.

Pat
 Doris - BrianByPass
This looks like a Brett's truck

twitter.com/FenCops/status/834795947347607552

Sorry Pat, doesn't look good!
 Doris - Pat
That's the one. They didn't tell me he had blown over into any other vehicles. He has been cut out and walked to the ambulance and was talking. He is being taken to Peterborough Hospital. Just waiting for neighbour to come with me. So many roads closed here

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Thu 23 Feb 17 at 16:27
 Doris - R.P.
Thank God he's alright Pat.
 Doris - VxFan
>> Thank God he's alright Pat.

+1
 Doris - Zero
>> That's the one. They didn't tell me he had blown over into any other vehicles.
>> He has been cut out and walked to the ambulance and was talking. He is
>> being taken to Peterborough Hospital. Just waiting for neighbour to come with me. So many
>> roads closed here

He just joined the erstwhile but very select club of drivers who have hit another vehicle in the fens and taken to Peterborough Hospital. Membership is normally reserved for little vehicles hitting bigger vehicles, but we can make an exception in his case. A representative will be along to dub his shoulders with a drive shaft at the appropriate time. He does not have to roll up a trouser leg for the ceremony.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 23 Feb 17 at 17:57
 Doris - neiltoo
Golly!
If that's his truck, and he walked away, he's a very lucky boy
Best wishes to you both

Neil
 Doris - Manatee
I would hope that a wagon driver, or any driver in this regard, has absolute discretion where safety is concerned.
 Doris - Crankcase
Best of luck, Pat, I'm sure it will work out ok. Best wishes.
 Doris - zippy
Thoughts are with you Pat and hope Ian is ok!
 Doris - legacylad
Fingers crossed for both Ian and yourself....
kind regards
 Doris - No FM2R
I'm glad that he has escaped reasonably unscathed at least.

Sorry this happened to you both.
 Doris - commerdriver
All the best to you both
 Doris - Roger.
Thoughts with you and Ian, XXX
 Doris - rtj70
I hope Ian's okay. Best wishes, Rob

It certainly was windy here last night and earlier today. Must have been much worse there.
 Doris - Pat
Almost 1am and have just got back from Peterborough Hospital without Ian.

He is being kept in after a CT scan for spine or internal injuries and they were going to let him out as it was clear, but his heart rate is around 120 and he has bleeding (slightly) from one ear so he is in the best place tonight.

Thanks so much for all the good wishes...I will update you tomorrow....well, I think it's today now!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 24 Feb 17 at 01:06
 Doris - rtj70
He's in the best place. Glad to hear he's had CT scans. When I was in an accident in Italy I had CT scans - told by my GP when removing stitches the UK stance was to admit you and see if something happened!
 Doris - henry k
Thank you for updating us after such a worrying time.
Best wishes for a full recovery.
 Doris - smokie
I hope all is well with Ian, best wishes to you both.
 Doris - Old Navy
Hopefully Ian's biggest problem will be attending Pats off the record training course! :-)
 Doris - Zero
>> Hopefully Ian's biggest problem will be attending Pats off the record training course! :-)

It will probably be on the record, he will have to attend Pats Naughty Lorry Drivers school. And sit the test at the end.
 Doris - helicopter
Pat , I am thinking of you and glad to hear Ian is in the right place to make sure he is OK and hopefully he will be home soon.

It looked from the photos that it could have been a very much worse outcome......

Doris - Mapmaker
Ouch, nasty. Presume those cabs are well built for exactly this scenario?

Anyway, glad to hear all (reasonably) well.
 Doris - Fullchat
Best wishes to you both.
 Doris - Manatee
Best wishes for Ian's recovery Pat.

I hope there are no recriminations, we all knew it was a windy day but gusts are unpredictable.
 Doris - devonite
Came back up the M6 from Preston yesterday, lots of hgv's making unexpected lane changes and other funny moves, saw some cars passing them in the middle lane come very close to being side-swiped, so I decided to pass in the outside lane! Noticed quite a lot of the "Curtain siders" were running alongside "hard-siders", for a bit of protection I presume!
 Doris - Dave_
>> I hope there are no recriminations

Unlikely as so many vehicles went over in East Anglia, an area not normally mentioned on the traffic reports as suffering from lorry-tipping crosswinds. A service bus went over as well; virtually unheard of in England: bit.ly/2mkpw3B
 Doris - Focal Point
Sorry, Pat - I've come to this late, as I've been away on Tenerife. Got back late Wednesday night before the storm struck.

Add my best wishes to the others. A pity it's such a trek to Peterborough Hospital for you. My experience of the place is that the care is very good and I hope Ian is back home soon.
 Doris - Pat
None whatsoever Manatee

The Tracker and cameras reveal all anyway.

The Tracker has shown that Ian was doing just under 40MPH and travelled for a full 5 seconds balancing on two wheels (well just all the wheels on the off side!) before it finally went over.

I have been to Peterborough hospital this morning to fetch him home but in the meantime they have done yet another scan and are not happy with some kind of shadow around his heart.

Scans were sent to Papworth and neither are they so he is being transferred by ambulance over they as they have a different type of machine to look into it further.

I have had to come home on the way to Papworth to swap his day clothes for night clothes and slippers.

Off we go again.

Pat
 Doris - rtj70
I think I can say we all hope this other scan goes well and he's home later today.
 Doris - hjd
>> I think I can say we all hope this other scan goes well and he's
>> home later today.
>>
+1
 Doris - Rudedog
Coming home yesterday evening through Croydon I experienced winds like I've never felt before, parts of Croydon have always been prone to high levels of wind between the large office towers but yesterday I was at at a set of lights and my car and the cars around me were visibly moving up and down, inside my car it felt as if I was driving down a bumpy road although I was stationary, I even started to plan in my head what I would do if my car did start to slide.

Small fry compared to the rest of the country I'm sure, but still very unnerving.
 Doris - Ambo
And me. Driving in the fens gives me the willlies at the best of times. I hate those minor roads that have water each side and nothing resembling kerbs, even of earth, so there seems no marked difference between driving on the roads or on water. And everyone seems in such a g**darned hurry, whatever the road. Very best wishes.
 Doris - zippy
I was in a modern factory unit yesterday on the edge of an airfield in the midlands.

The small planes were bucking about and the building I was in was groaning in the wind - not a pleasant sound, even more concerning was the worried look of all of the staff in the building.

M40 and M25 were trouble free on the way home but anti clockwise M25 was backed up with HGVs from the A3 to M4 probably avoiding the Dartford Crossing as the bridge was shut meaning the northbound tunnel was down to two lanes.

Little to worry about in reality when you compare it to Pat and Ian and the poor people killed elsewhere.

Doris - sooty123
>> And me. Driving in the fens gives me the willlies at the best of times. I hate those minor roads that have water each side and nothing resembling kerbs, even of earth, so there seems no marked difference between driving on the roads or on water. And everyone seems in such a g**darned hurry, whatever the road. Very best wishes.
>>

They aren't the best in the world are they? Plenty like that around here, in fact most of them. There's only a couple i won't go down. Locally known as bumpy bank, it's a back road out of Boston. Very bumpy would be putting it mildly, try go at the national speed limit and you'll have a job on to not end up in a ditch.
The minor roads as you describe do take a bit of getting used to, but you ain't got much choice of you live here!
 Doris - rtj70
Some relatives of my wife used to live out Wisbech way. We got taken to Peterborough when visiting - the trip down some of those roads at speed was a bit scary. The cousin's husband was a bit too fast and dangerous for my liking.

Roads were narrow and those ditches! He used to drive down them every day of course so knew more about every dip in the road, etc. I got a bit more confident on the snake pass when I was driving it every weekday for a few months... you knew when there was going to be a dip, jolt, how fast you could take a corner. I got faster without being dangerous... and yet there was often someone in something like an M3 trying to overtake a few cars at the same time at dangerous points on the wrong side of the road.
 Doris - Zero
Try it in the fog. At speed the main worry is the undulations. And yes they all drive like loons there, it is outlaw country after all.
 Doris - Pat
Well, he’s home and in the clear! We finally got back home last night at 23.50.

It all got a bit hairy yesterday afternoon because as I arrived back at Peterborough and made the long trek through A&E they had found a bed at Papworth. So off we all went and battled with the A14 on a Friday afternoon.

On arrival Ian was given various tests and the Consultant came to explain what was going to happen, which was a shock but also a relief as no-one had done that.

They thought the impact had caused a tear in his heart somewhere and a scan was booked for ‘after 7pm’ with the results due to come back ‘before midnight’.

If they found a tear Ian would be taken down for immediate emergency surgery to repair it.
That was a shock to us both.

I had timed the run from home to Papworth at just over 30 minutes and in view of this we both decided at 6pm I would come home and wait to hear the result and if it was bad news I could then be back at Papworth before Ian came out of theatre and in a better state to face whatever we had to face.

Sure enough the scan was done at 8pm and Ian was given the all clear at 22.15.

He rang and told me and said ‘I can come home’ followed by ‘Now, if I want to’!
Did he want to? Of course he did, so I shot off to fetch him and we got back here at 23.55

I’ve just had 6 hours uninterrupted sleep and Ian is still away with the fairies.

Ian hasn’t seen the photo’s yet, I hadn’t seen them until they were posted on here and when I clicked on the link I was horrified, I had no idea it was that bad.

No recriminations to whoever posted the link whatsoever, but why, oh why to the Police do this so soon?

Within minutes, I was inundated with friends and family wanting to know how Ian was and what happened and at that stage I knew nothing. I just wanted to get to A&E and see him, but I had to wait and get word to his parents, who would have seen those pictures on Facebook and not known if it was their son or not.

As it turned out Facebook enabled me to update family in Scarborough, Leicestershire, Wales, Blackpool, Bristol and Somerset with one update. It meant I had so many messages from people offering to help with anything practical (Thanks Dave!) BUT, the Police are so wrong to publish stuff like this so quickly.

The NHS is excellent. From a very busy and chaotic A&E at Peterborough where Ian spent 18 hours on a trolley, most of it on a spinal board, to Papworth where calm and quiet prevailed.

His care, as always was excellent, yet still we could hear irate relatives in A&E abusing the staff.

All that remains now is to buy an air freshener for the car.

Ian had his work boots on for 36 hours we worked out, and when I took his slippers yesterday it wasn’t pleasant!

They made it to the boot of the XC60 and now that isn’t pleasant either!

Anyone got a remedy for stinky feet?

When I asked why they didn't take his boots off in A&E, he told me they wanted to but he wouldn't let them as he felt 'still in control' with his boots on.....Man logic?

Thanks so much for your concern and good wishes, it really did help just when I needed a bit of support too.

Pat

Doris - hjd
Glad to hear all is well and that Ian has had a full medical check up for free...
 Doris - Duncan
Glad to hear that he is home and reasonably well.

What was the 'shadow on his heart' (IIRC) that the medics found?
 Doris - Pat
Not sure Duncan, but they'd been in touch with Addenbrookes for his full history and Romford Hospital before that and seemed to think it had always been there and they were being cautious.

Pat
 Doris - R.P.
NHS is pretty good when the excreta hits the extractor - glad he's ok, must have been pretty worrying. ref: the boots thing - probably biker instinct...
 Doris - Focal Point
I'm very relieved all is well, Pat. As you say, some of the photos, showing the mangled cab, looked very nasty.

I have also been the recipient of NHS care recently and was very appreciative of the work of every single person I came into contact with. I'm glad that was also your experience. In view if the (possibly over-cautious) concern about Ian's heart, Papworth was certainly one of the very best places for him to have been examined.

I am sure he's due for a restful weekend.
 Doris - zippy
I am sure he's due for a restful weekend +1

And you Pat for all that running around!
 Doris - rtj70
Glad all is okay. Better they were ultra cautious rather than missing something.
 Doris - Haywain
Really pleased to hear that Ian is OK and back home, Pat; from those photos, it looks as though he was lucky to get out at all. I hope that he soon gets over the shock of it all. The trouble with CT scans is that they can reveal other things that you were never aware of e.g. during a recent gall-bladder scan, they found that my left kidney was completely kaput.

So now you can get back to the other worries for Leicester folks and join us in mourning the departure of St Claudio :-(
 Doris - Pat
I am suitably dressed in black Haywain!

Pat
 Doris - devonite
So now you can get back to the other worries for Leicester folks and join us in mourning the departure of St Claudio :-(

As a Chelsea fan, I felt exactly the same as you when he was ousted from Chelsea in an almost identical situation upon the arrival of Jose! - Claudio is a true Gentleman of the sport, one of a rare few. I wish him well for the future.
 Doris - Manatee
Great news Pat.
 Doris - Bromptonaut
>> When I asked why they didn't take his boots off in A&E, he told me
>> they wanted to but he wouldn't let them as he felt 'still in control' with
>> his boots on.....Man logic?

Like a navvy in his boots?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmnjIogZNQg

(Spinners song)
 Doris - Pat
Thanks for that Bromp, we both enjoyed it:)

Pat
 Doris - Pat
Ambo, you can always spot a Fenny local.

We don't drive on the left side of the road, we drive straddling the white lines until we see something coming the other way!

Try it sometime, it does work with the long, flat, straight roads around here.

Pat
 Doris - Manatee
I do that, possibly for different reasons. Why fight the camber and crash down all the potholes.
 Doris - Aretas
Pat, I am delighted all is okay.

How you were able to keep us all informed I just don't know. My mind would not have been able to do it.
 Doris - Runfer D'Hills
Just caught up with this thread. Thank goodness Ian is fine, it must have been pretty scary. I was up in the High Peak District during the "Doris" activity. Even cars were being knocked off course so it must have been horrible for trucks.
 Doris - Pat
Today has been a revealing day.

The bruises are getting bigger and more colourful by the minute and the cauliflower ear is turning a lovely shade of purple.

We've been to Brett's to collect Ian's 'stuff' out of the lorry that the TM, general manager and fitter managed to recover from the accident. With it happening only 2 miles from the yard they were all present while the various emergency services worked to get Ian out and apparently were talking to him.

We were able to see the dash cam footage of one of Brett's lorries travelling behind Ian (by chance) and it was scary just how long it was teetering on two wheels and almost went back down at one point before going over.

We then watched the dash cam footage from Ian's dash cam complete with sound, and like any good lorry driver, Ian was telling the lorry 'No, No, No' just before impact.

The keys for the Fiesta and his house keys were missing along with his wallet which were in his jacket pocket up on the top bunk where he was squashed.

So we decided to take our courage in both hands and go to the local firm where the lorry had been recovered to and ask if we could look for them in the wreckage.

It was a sobering sight for both of us but we found them all thankfully but his rucksack and flask are in there and we can't budge those!

GP visit on Wed/Thursday if he can get an appointment to get a sick note and a return to work OK for next Monday and Peterborough ENT appointment on Friday to check the bleeding from his ear (which we know was caused by his Bluetooth headset but they won't believe it!

Back to work next Monday but the TM insists Ian goes out with another driver for the first day back, which I'm pleased about.

It's more all in the mind at the moment more than physical so we're hoping todays revelations will finally put that to bed.

I do hope so because he has a Bubble pond to install for me tomorrow and it should have been done last weekend:)

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Mon 27 Feb 17 at 15:54
 Doris - Bromptonaut
>> The bruises are getting bigger and more colourful by the minute and the cauliflower ear
>> is turning a lovely shade of purple.

Normal I think. Best part of a week after my hip/collar bone fracture 'off' from the Brompton before bruises attained their full glory.

Glad he's on the mend. Don't rush back to work too soon
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 27 Feb 17 at 16:15
 Doris - commerdriver
>> Glad he's on the mend. Don't rush back to work too soon
>>
He'll be going back to work for a rest judging by Pat's last post :-)

Seriously, glad you're on the mend Ian
 Doris - zippy
So glad Ian is home safe. Thank goodness that the worst is bruising.

Puts things in to perspective!
 Doris - rtj70
Surprising what lengths blokes go to in order to avoid chores at home, e.g. Bubble pond. :-)

Glad he's home and the worst of it is bruising.

Makes you want to invent a lorry stabiliser - when a tilt is occurring out pop the stabilisers.
 Doris - Runfer D'Hills
>> Makes you want to invent a lorry stabiliser - when a tilt is occurring out
>> pop the stabilisers.

Good idea ! Especially if they put boxing gloves on the end of them so that they could also be used to punch other lorry drivers who elephant overtake !

;-)
 Doris - Old Navy

youtu.be/uHSXXAW5Di4

It might take out some door mirrors. :-)
 Doris - MD
Sorry Pat. Only just picked up on this. Hope all is well as it sounds like it is.

On the removing Boot front: I know exactly what he means. In our Daughters house which she rents from some old folk one of whom can often be found on a motoring thingy type website doofer she has banned all outside shoes from the carpeted areas, therefore I spend any time there in the Kitchen on the vinyl on a hard chair. I am not comfortable sans shoes and that''s that.

Best to Ian and of course, yourself.
 Doris - rtj70
How's Ian getting on? I hope he's on the mend. I'm surprised nobody else has asked for an update. I've been a bit busy - holiday upcoming and work deadlines to meet.
 Doris - Pat
The bruising is coning along nicely and has a wonderful array of colours rtj.

His own GP has given him the OK to return to work on Monday and after an outpatients appointment at Peterborough Hospital yesterday to check everything was fine with his cauliflower ear, they signed him off too.

He has a back to work interview this morning and has been allocated an easy run for Monday........3663 Worthing at 7am:) That's a 12.30am alarm call so getting back to normal will be good.

The firm have insisted he goes out with another driver for Monday at least as it will be scary driving a lorry again for the first time.

Thanks for asking.

Pat
 Doris - zippy
Fantastic news Pat!

Doris - VxFan
Glad he's on the road to recovery.

I bet it put the wind up him (pun intended) ;)
Latest Forum Posts