Non-motoring > The Oscars - FFS ..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 31

The Oscars - FFS ..... - Haywain
It was headlines this morning, and it's still headlines on the BBC lunchtime news. Is anyone else sick of hearing about the ball sup at the Oscars?
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - CGNorwich
Which film one then?
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - diddy1234
I think it was cliffbanger
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - henry k
Oh la la. laugh !
Wot a screw up.
When the wrong already announced contents were seen, pause " Can someone check this ?"
rather than fudge it or even just read the contents.

K. I. S. S. comes to mind.

Would you hire PriceWaterhouseCooper ?
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - Roger.
OSCARS & BAFTAS = Self-important "right-on" Luvvies loving self-important "right-on" Luvvies.
So pleased they screwed up.
Best laugh this year.
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - zippy
>> OSCARS & BAFTAS = Self-important "right-on" Luvvies loving self-important "right-on" Luvvies.

Most industries have awards ceremonies. It doesn't make them self important.

>> So pleased they screwed up.

What a nasty piece of work, being glad that someone made a mistake. Hope you never make one Roger.

>> Best laugh this year.
>>

Well what a boring life you must lead!
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - BrianByPass

>> What a nasty piece of work, being glad that someone made a mistake. Hope you
>> never make one Roger.
>>

>>
>> Well what a boring life you must lead!
>>

oooo! nasty! personal attacks.

What for?

Did someone get up on wrong side of the bed? Or is this about Brexit?
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - Bromptonaut
>> Did someone get up on wrong side of the bed? Or is this about Brexit?

WTF bring Brexit into it? Much as many of us think it was a dire mistake, unlike Europhobia, it doesn't dominate our day to day lives.

I agree with Zippy.

It was a cock up at the climax of the movie industry's most prestigious award ceremony. As somebody who ran a few far, far lower profile events I was mortified if the speaker was provided, however briefly, with the wrong PowerPoint.

Those who allowed this to happen will never be rid of it.
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - Manatee
I'm with Roger on this. PWC was responsible. The ostensible reason for its involvement being to ensure accuracy, its empoyees achieved the exact opposite. Berks.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 27 Feb 17 at 23:01
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - No FM2R
>> So pleased they screwed up.
>> Best laugh this year.

What a very nasty little man you are.
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - Roger.
>> >> So pleased they screwed up.
>> >> Best laugh this year.
>>
>> What a very nasty little man you are.
>>T

Takes one to know one.
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - diddy1234
PriceWaterhouseCooper were the administrators for a company that went under whilst I worked for them.

great job. stripped the ex-company of assets and sold it to the yanks. top marks (sarcasm)
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Mon 27 Feb 17 at 14:34
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - R.P.
Which film one then?

"Moonlighting" :-)
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - spamcan61
>> Is anyone else sick of hearing about the ball sup at the Oscars?
>>

Oh yes, FFS nobody died, move on.
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - Haywain
Aaaarrrgh! Six o clock news on the Beeb, and it's still headlines!
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - CGNorwich
Has anyone seen the winner, Moonlight, yet.?

I saw La-La Land a few weeks ago and rreally enjoyed it even though I am not usually a big fan of musicals. A really good bit of Hollywood entertainment.
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - sherlock47
PWC must be so pleased that they have luxury corporate personalised briefcases

www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user5/imageroot/2017/02/08/pwc%20oscars_0.jpg
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - Rudedog
PWC have their fingers in many pies, I work in the NHS and they have been 'invited' into our Trust and caused carnage on a big scale and then left when it got too hot... they are accounts for God's sake!!
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - MD
>> they are accounts for God's sake!!
>>
Chinless wonders.

Suitable removal of several letters may sum up their true worth.
>> Chinless wonders.
>>
>> Suitable removal of several letters may sum up their true worth.

Ok, I'll bite. Which letters?

cinless
hinless
chinle
chess

Not seeing it...... A clue please?
Forget it, just realized.

Doh.
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - MD
Unlike You Squire.

Hope all is well out there with reports of lack of water etc. You do go through it.
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - Old Navy
>> Aaaarrrgh! Six o clock news on the Beeb, and it's still headlines!
>>

And the10pm news, the media luvvies must think we care!
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - BiggerBadderDave
I love cinema, the art of acting, cinematography, dialogue, wardrobe and more than any of those, the director. Always the first thing I ask - who’s directing it. I’m not interested in The Oscars though, just can’t be bothered trying to be interested. And not particularly interested in the actors really, unless they’re female, tall and have red hair. Never read the gossips either. A vague curiosity perhaps.

There are films that I have grown up with, and have immense affection for them and can watch some every three or four months. Not many, but some. And a handful of actors in those films kinda feel a bit like part of the family in a way. Well, I must feel that anyway since Bill Paxton died last weekend and when I read it, I felt like it had walloped me in the chest. Totally gutted. He played my favourite character in my favourite film in my favourite franchise (tattoos to prove it). My favourite line too "Hudson sir, he’s Hicks". Brilliant line. Just those four words sow doubt in the ability of his commanding officer, who can’t remember the names of his men. Fantastic dialogue. All written by James Cameron of course.

But if you don't know what I'm talking about, you will know his famous line, now printed on a billion t-shirts and comics or spoken in video games. "Game over, man. Game over". And it really is.
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Mon 27 Feb 17 at 22:52
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - Dutchie
Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

We used to go see them in a small movie place when we where about nine or ten if I remember.Pinching lemonade first from the storage place next to it.

To much hype now.I noticed a few colourd actors and actresses got awards after last year fiasco.

And what about all the politics chatter about Trump?
The procedure for keeping the duplicate envelopes separate is explained here:

www.theguardian.com/film/2017/feb/27/pricewaterhousecoopers-issues-sincere-apology-for-oscars-blunder

"The envelopes were locked in a safe until the day of the ceremony, when the accountants travelled separately to the theatre under security protection, each with a complete set of results."

It seems they dismissed the possibility of something going wrong in an interview one week before the event:
www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/oscar-wrong-winner-marisa-tomei_us_58af326de4b0a8a9b780339f

The Oscars - FFS ..... - Crankcase
Never mind FFS, it's clearly an existential issue. Simply couldn't BE more important.

www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/did-the-oscars-just-prove-that-we-are-living-in-a-computer-simulation

"...what is happening lately, he says, is proof that we are living in a computer simulation and that something has recently gone haywire within it. The people or machines or aliens who are supposed to be running our lives are having some kind of breakdown. There’s a glitch, and we are in it."
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 09:17
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - henry k
>>It seems they dismissed the possibility of something going wrong in an interview one week before the event:
>>www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/oscar-wrong-winner-marisa-tomei_us_58af326de4b0a8a9b780339f

I have been in the situation, quite a few years ago where I needed to ensure a relatively simple task of moving a few very critical items in sequence over 10 miles and to monitor that departure and arrival was achieved.
K. I. S. S.
A guy at each location with a check sheet told to sit tight there all night and report back each time he updated his sheet or if any delay or any queries. Boring, expensive but it worked.

A tick sheet for all used envelopes ???

>> A tick sheet for all used envelopes ???
>>

The one read out in mistake wasn't used. It was a duplicate from the backup case which should have been discarded or whatever after the original was used to announce the best actress award, but Brian Cullinan was allegedly preoccupied with taking selfies & twitter and slipped up.

www.longroom.com/discussion/349989/

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4265340

The Oscars - FFS ..... - Cliff Pope
I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

I've often thought when a judge is summing up and passing sentence, he must have two versions prepared in case the jury find guilty/not guilty.
"This is the most dastardly crime I have ever judged, and I sentence you to ..."

or if the jury unexpectedly acquit, he has to hastilly shuffle his notes and declaim
"You leave this court without a stain on your character ..."

All good Henry Cecil stuff, and quite amusing, as Roger observes.
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - zippy
A family friend gets to vote in the Oscars.

He's a stuntman* and gets a case load of disks sent to him to watch and vote on.

He takes it seriously as it can reflect the work that the winner of the category gets in the future.

He has also had a few small parts in some major films and has done very well out of it, but it takes a lot of work and there is quite a risk.

*Literally fell in to the role whilst visiting a set in his very early 20's he is now in his late 60's :-)
 The Oscars - FFS ..... - Mapmaker
>>I've often thought when a judge is summing up and passing sentence, he must have two versions prepared in case the jury find guilty/not guilty.

Isn't the court adjourned between the verdict and passing sentence?

The only time I've been in court we found him guilty and then the judge told us what else he'd been up to (list as long as your arm) and then adjourned the court.
Latest Forum Posts