Non-motoring > Cornwall Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 39

Cornwall - Lygonos
Vote for Brexit then complain when the EU money isn't replaced by HMG?

Dry yer eyes, Cornwall.

inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/councillor-tim-dwelly-cornwall-will-go-off-cliff-due-lack-eu-government-funding/
 Cornwall - rtj70
They can make up the difference by improving income from tourism or other industries. Why should they expect to get tens of millions of tax payers money? Maybe when we know how BREXIT is working, there will be some spare cash but I suspect there won't be.

So they will just have to manage with £60m less for now. Which is what they voted for, i.e. out of the EU and therefore no EU funding. They have got what they wanted.

They have to accept what they get is as a result of how they voted.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 18:20
 Cornwall - R.P.
Wasn't this pointed out by the Department of the Bleeding Obvious before the vote. Turkeys voting for Christmas. Same in Wales.
 Cornwall - rtj70
I think they called it project Fear. And carried on lying.

But we are where we are and Cornwall and just go and accept that they will receive tens of millions less in funding. They can make up the difference some other way - and it's for the county to figure that out.
 Cornwall - zippy
No surprise there really.

What did they expect?

Problem is our Govt never seemed to engage in Europe to change things while they could. They should have worked hard to get the fishery policy changed to a much more sensible hours at sea and land what you catch policy rather then this ridiculously wasteful policy that we have now.

Farmers will be the next to complain with subsidies going.
 Cornwall - sooty123
Some very broad brush strokes used by people on here. That's the voice of one labour councillor. We've no idea what everyone else there thinks or what their expectations were. Nor do we know how that councillor voted.
 Cornwall - rtj70
>> Some very broad brush strokes used by people on here. That's the voice of one labour councillor.

Correct. And maybe the locals aren't complaining. But if there's a shortfall then that's their problem and not central government.
 Cornwall - Dog
This is one solution which has been banded about recently down 'ere my ansome:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN5si5lyxC4

Cornwall - zippy
>> This is one solution which has been banded about recently down 'ere my ansome:
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN5si5lyxC4
>>

That is very funny!
 Cornwall - rtj70
>> They should have worked hard to get the fishery policy changed to a much more sensible
>> hours at sea and land what you catch policy rather then this ridiculously wasteful policy that
>> we have now.

Fishery policy is not going to change after BREXIT. We'll have what we have now.
 Cornwall - zippy
>>Fishery policy is not going to change after BREXIT. We'll have what we have now.

I think you are right.

It doesn't change the fact that a lot of fish are thrown away because they cannot be landed.

Local fishermen made a big thing about voting leave and I don't think there will be any benefit to them at the end of the day.
 Cornwall - Zero
No problem.

The Brexiters say its a price worth paying.
 Cornwall - rtj70
They did and still do I think. They have accepted things could be bad for a bit but in the long term Britain will be better off. Timeframe might be say 10 years plus.

Some of us on here will report back on how we think it went. Some of us will be dead by then. And that's not an age related comment! But statistically some of the members on here will be no longer with us in 10 to 15 years time.
 Cornwall - Old Navy
>> Some of us on here will report back on how we think it went. Some
>> of us will be dead by then. And that's not an age related comment! But
>> statistically some of the members on here will be no longer with us in 10
>> to 15 years time.
>>

How long will it be before some people start complaining that the geriatrics voted us out and have died off and left others to sort things out?
 Cornwall - mikeyb
I wonder how much of the EU money they loose they will really miss?

I drove up to mid Wales to see the in-laws last week. Its pretty quiet where they live, but someone has decided to spend a few quid building a new by-pass (A470) on what was already a quiet stretch.

Its a lovely piece of road, but completely wasted and not needed. FIL is quite bemused by it.
 Cornwall - Old Navy
>> Its a lovely piece of road, but completely wasted and not needed. FIL is quite
>> bemused by it.
>>

Much the same in rural Scotland, millions and millions spent on roads in the wrong places. The death trap A9 was untouched.
 Cornwall - sooty123
How long will it be before some people start complaining that the geriatrics voted us
>> out and have died off and left others to sort things out?
>>

How long? Where you been for the past 8 months? ;)
 Cornwall - rtj70
There was one voter who had a postal vote (not on here mind) that had their surviving children post it after they had died. Someone (possibly me) posted about it last year.
 Cornwall - BrianByPass
>> Vote for Brexit then complain when the EU money isn't replaced by HMG?
>>
>> Dry yer eyes, Cornwall.
>>

errr....

But, as the Remoaners keep stating here, Brexit hasn't happened yet.

And as the linked article states "Cornwall Council was still in talks with the Government to secure funding for after Brexit."

HMG can only replace/divert EU money after UK stops paying in to the EU coffers.
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 19:39
 Cornwall - zippy
>>Brexit hasn't happened yet.

No, but the effects are being felt.

I am seeing businesses weekly that are suffering from the effects even though it hasn't happened yet. A 10% export tariff, the extra admin, the customs delays in getting goods to the customer will kill a lot of them.

Those that survive are expecting significantly lower profits and are already in consultation stages for layoffs and expect to be reporting much lower profits which means paying much less tax.

To put it in to context the businesses in my teams portfolio have turnover of just shy of £4 billion and borrow over £300m. Profits across the board are down 18% on last year and are expected to drop further.

Businesses in the UK are frightened to order anything new and companies are reluctant to set up contracts with UK suppliers or customers because they don't know what the impact will be.
 Cornwall - smokie
Thanks for that Zippy. It is refreshing to hear directly from someone with real front line experience, even though it's somewhat sombre, rather than the rest of us who just spout our own biased prophecies.
 Cornwall - zippy
The feeling I get from the owners and managers of the businesses are that they expect things to settle down after article 50 is struck and the negotiations concluded.

The majority are hoping for a soft Brexit because they don't think its the tariffs that will hit them but the customs delays and hoops that they may have to jump through to get goods both imported and exported.

Whilst consumers goods / food comes from China, America, New Zealand, Japan etc, manufacturing goods are purchased from and sold to Europe.

The Govt. must be seeing some interesting stats on the Intrastats that are collected from businesses monthly and one would hope that the civil servants are advising the Govt. on the trends that they are seeing so that the negotiations have a basis in fact.

I hope that May and co are playing the hard Brexit card so that they can be seen as victors when a soft Brexit is delivered.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 28 Feb 17 at 20:19
 Nissan asks for UK manufacturing to be increased - BrianByPass
Meanwhile, in Sunderland, the land of Brexiteers:

Colin Lawther, Nissan’s senior vice-president of manufacturing supply chain, told MPs today that Nissan’s Sunderland plant consumes 5m parts a day for a production line that produces two cars every minute.

Lawther said the automotive industry has made a “strong request” for government support for £100m to £140m of investment for a supply development fund to “repower the supply base” and build an indigenous, high-tech car components sector in the UK.

“From Nissan alone, we would like to spend something like £2bn or more per year on parts from the UK, assembled in the UK,” he said.

Nissan is looking to increase content from British suppliers because of the threat of tariffs on components, which can travel several times between the UK and other EU countries during the construction of a vehicle.

Lawther said Nissan was already talking to Sunderland city council and to the Highways Agency about taking land and investment to provide “the canvas for suppliers to come”.

A local plant would be high-tech, manufacturing everything from high-definition cameras, to electronics and alloy wheels, which currently come from Germany, he said.

"Nissan is not interested in monetary compensation,” Lawther said.

“Our point has always been we believe we have to have a competitive business, and business propped up by grants or incentives is not a sustainable business. There is no side letter, no verbal assurances, there is no contingent liability in this letter.”
 Nissan asks for UK manufacturing to be increased - zippy
>>"Nissan is not interested in monetary compensation," Lawther said.

Of course not when the Govt. will be paying for new roads to your plant, new factories for your suppliers etc.

Alloy wheels made in the UK or Germany. Perhaps they are but I spent a long time working with a manufacturer in the UK that shipped production to South Africa because of price down upon price down. They had to design the wheels at their own expense, offer several new designs to the manufacturer when they had a new model, pay for the moulds and tooling, buy new x-ray and ultra sound equipment when the manufacturers required higher standards, absorb movements in metal, sand and energy prices, provide Kanban supplies (manage the car manufacturers stock for them), buy stillages customised for each manufacturer and still charge between £35 and £50 for a wheel when the motor manufacturer sold them to customers for £1,200 to £1,600 a set!!

Meanwhile....

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/02/27/bmw-weighs-moving-production-new-electric-mini-away-uk/
 Nissan asks for UK manufacturing to be increased - rtj70
Until I read that yesterday I didn't realise 1 in 3 Mini's was not assembled in the UK.

But I did know another example of not assembled in the UK - not all Bentley's are assembled here either.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 1 Mar 17 at 02:50
 Dyson massive UK exansion - BrianByPass
>> someone with real front line experience, even though it's somewhat sombre,
>> rather than the rest of us who just spout our own biased prophecies.

How about this one then?

Dyson, the technology company, is to undergo a dramatic expansion in the UK

James Dyson said he did not understand claims that the UK is suffering from economic uncertainty.

www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/28/dyson-shrugs-off-brexit-fears-with-massive-uk-expansion-plan

“We have got the opportunity to export globally – Europe is only 15% of global trade and declining. The world outside Europe is expanding faster than Europe, and that is the same for Dyson,” he said.

The tycoon said that Britain is a “great place to do business” due to the low rate of corporation tax, the skills of engineers and scientists, and the decline in the value of the pound against the dollar and euro. “These are far more important elements than any WTO [World Trade Organisation] tariffs.”
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Wed 1 Mar 17 at 11:14
 Dyson massive UK exansion - smokie
For each one you post like that there will be another saying the opposite. Who knows how it will really turn out...
 Dyson massive UK exansion - Dog
Woe, woe, and thrice woe .. we're all doomed DOOMED I tell you!
 Dyson massive UK expansion - BrianByPass
>> Who knows how it will really turn out...
>>

In the end, we all die.

In the meantime, it does me good to look on the positive side and enjoy life.

If by posing some good news it helps counter the "sombre" tone of many of zippy's not so zippy posts and brightens up things a little bit, I think it is worth it. :-)

Dyson massive UK expansion - rtj70
>> "sombre" tone of many of zippy's

You mean some of what is actually happening know? It might be 'sombre' but it's happening.
 Dyson massive UK expansion - BrianByPass

>> You mean some of what is actually happening know? It might be 'sombre' but it's
>> happening.
>>

It has always been thus. As Smokie said, you can find bad news if you go looking for it. I am an optimist and take a glass almost full attitude to life.

But fear not. Today's further good news. Rejoice:

Britain's manufacturing sector maintained a "solid" start to the year in February amid a sharp acceleration in new export orders, according to a closely watched survey.

IHS Markit's latest barometer of the sector showed the weaker pound boosted overseas orders for a ninth consecutive month, led by sales to the rest of Europe, the US and Asia, even as the overall pace of growth slowed.

Manufacturers maintained a positive outlook in the UK, with almost half expecting output to be higher in a year, compared with just 6pc that expected a contraction.

Optimism was driven by expectations of "improved demand, increased capital investment, company expansion plans and new product releases", Markit said.

Rob Dobson, senior economist at IHS Markit, said the robust start to the year put the sector on course to grow by around 1.5pc in the first quarter of 2017. This would be one of the best performances over the past seven years.

Dyson massive UK expansion - rtj70
>> But fear not. Today's further good news. Rejoice:

Ford currently makes a third of all engines at it's Bridgend engine factory. By 2021 there could be 1160 job losses unless the plant brings in new business... But hang on it makes engines for Ford. So it seems they are going to cut back engine production there and make it elsewhere. Unless they plan on making almost a third fewer cars?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-39123982

Okay the 1160 figure is worst case - but it'd odd they are threatening this when they consume the engines produced got global car production. It makes me wonder they are angling for government funds or assurances on export tarriffs to keep the jobs here.
 Dyson massive UK expansion - CGNorwich

>>
>> In the end, we all die.
>>
Are you sure? Nobody told me. Bit of a bummer that.
 Dyson massive UK exansion - zippy
>>Dyson

Yes, Malaysia must be very happy.
 Dyson massive UK exansion - Zero
>> >>Dyson
>>
>> Yes, Malaysia must be very happy.

Indeed, he manufactures close to FA in the UK. A man of smoke and mirrors is our Mr Dyson.
 Dyson massive UK exansion - sooty123
Perhaps he meant an expansion of buying land, he's buying farmland up all over the place.
 Dyson massive UK exansion - The Melting Snowman
>>Indeed, he manufactures close to FA in the UK

Who cares. He employs large numbers of highly-skilled employees at Malmsbury and eventually Hullavington. Banging the products together in a factory is the boring bit.

The UK needs far more people like Dyson. And he pays his share of tax in the UK, unlike some.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Wed 1 Mar 17 at 20:41
 Dyson massive UK exansion - rtj70
>> Banging the products together in a factory is the boring bit.

But it creates lots of jobs. Okay not graduate type jobs but still jobs.
 Dyson massive UK exansion - CGNorwich
The UK or indeed anywhere in Western Europe or the United states will never be able to compete in low skill assembly work. Those days are gone. There are plenty of places in the world where that sort of job can be done at a fraction of the price.

Most of it will of course be eventually entirely automated

The big issue facing Western economies is what do you with all those people who have insufficient skills or education for the high tech, high skilled jobs.
 Dyson massive UK exansion - rtj70
Send them to where products like Dyson vacuum cleaners are made?
Latest Forum Posts