Non-motoring > Why are you here? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 21

Why are you here? - Crankcase
I don't mean, why are you here in a cosmic sense, although feel free to run with that nonsense if you want.

I mean - why do you return to this forum? I ask because, well, the internet is for young people, innit, and I get the sense that most of us are not exactly whippersnappers.

What does this place have for you that you don't find anywhere else, and more, why is that way?

For me, I like the varied conversations (most forums are dedicated to one topic, but most also have a general chat section), the varied views (but all forums have that), and the sense of "knowing" a lot of you for years (but any forum you hang about develops that).

So I don't really know why his one "works" and others, for me anyway, don't. Is the tiny community in fact a virtue?

Why are you here? - smokie
Blimey that's a bit of a change from last week!! I was hoping for ing'ing TV shows this week.

Like The Last Legging - Matalan closing down :-)
 Why are you here? - Ambo
A joint fount of all sorts of knowledge and experience that - unlike Wikipedia - is interactive and nuanced.
 Why are you here? - Ambo
>>I was hoping for ing'ing TV shows this week.

You mean like Silent Witnessing or voyeurism?
 Why are you here? - devonite
Cos I'm bored! and this place can be fun! 'Cept at weekends when it dies a bit! - probably because every one is off work! ;-)
 Why are you here? - mikeyb
I like the wealth of life experience shown here.

I also find that mostly people are respectful to others views, but challenges are done in an intelligent way rather than just resorting to insults

Wish AC would post more though - I miss his ramblings
 Why are you here? - CGNorwich
Wish AC would post more though - I miss his ramblings

So do I . Neve quite sure whether his posts are the work of genius or alcohol. Pehaps both ;-)
 Why are you here? - Cliff Pope
We're here, because, we're here because .....
"don't mean, why are you here in a cosmic sense, although feel free to run with that nonsense if you want."

A fundamentally more interesting subject than self service scanning though I would have thought. ;-)
 Why are you here? - Pat
I'm here because.....

I don't really know!

It started off to defend lorry drivers but I found once I did that all those years ago, you all wanted me to go away, so with the sheer cussedness that I seem to live my life, I refused to go away!

Over the years that has loomed it's ugly head now and again and it just makes me dig my heels in so I'm not going anywhere soon:)

Seriously, I learn a lot and it never ceases to amaze me how I see things from another's point of view after reading a post on here and it gives me food for thought, which is good.

I love people watching and I have a picture in my mind of each and every one of you and that fascinates me but like all of you, I would love to see more of AC too.

I've grown quite fond of you all actually. (even Mappy!)

Pat
 Why are you here? - Roger.
Perhaps we should have a rogue's gallery where we can post links to selfies!
I suspect that the real images of other forum members would be nowhere as bizarre as those that currently reside in my brain.
 Why are you here? - Focal Point
I've met only one member of the forum and that person was pretty much as I expected. That's not to say others might be weirdly different.

I'd guess most are older than their posts make them seem.

(Z let slip his age in another thread. Maybe he's told us before and I've missed it, but it was about ten years more than I had assumed.)

By the way, in answer to the question posed, I don't think I'm going to attempt a serious answer. Those with long memories and good concentration may remember a few choice comments I've made about the forum. Let's just say I don't feel I am actually here most of the time.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Fri 3 Mar 17 at 20:58

"Perhaps we should have a rogue's gallery where we can post links to selfies! "

I don't think selfies tell a viewer anything about the real person, because they are taken in such strained and self-conscious positions. If you are trying to point a camera on the end of a pole while jumping about behind some celebrity then the result is bound to be somewhat unnatural. A posed portrait by a proper photographer who selects the most representative shot can be almost as candid as an artist's painting.

>> I suspect that the real images of other forum members would be nowhere as
>> bizarre as those that currently reside in my brain.
>>

My theory used to be that everyone here was acting a selected part, as in a soap opera, mostly following the script for the selected character, sometimes ad-libbing a bit. But now I tend to think everyone is real but simply over-egging their humdrum lives to appear a bit more characterful. Also I used to think that none of the factual information anyone revealed need actually be true at all, and that I might actually be 45 instead of 85. But now I suspect that boringly, as we are all British, what we claim is mostly correct.

It's fun building even more exaggerated images in one's mind of the other forumites, but best not divulged, unfortunately. :)
 Why are you here? - sherlock47
>> My theory used to be that everyone here was acting a selected part, as in
>> a soap opera, mostly following the script for the selected character, sometimes ad-libbing a bit.
>> But now I tend to think everyone is real but simply over-egging their humdrum lives
>> to appear a bit more characterful. Also I used to think that none of the
>> factual information anyone revealed need actually be true at all, and that I might actually
>> be 45 instead of 85. But now I suspect that boringly, as we are all
>> British, what we claim is mostly correct.
>>

'here' is merely a minor subset of the holgraphic plaything that has been created by a superior intelligence. Perhaps it has been called life4play :) But read the article before condemning the concept.

www.space.com/30124-is-our-universe-a-fake.html

Is it really a more outlandish proposition than the constructs of religion?

And lastly, for the real doubters, consider it must be true, since it received extensive coverage in the DM last year.

Edited merely to confirm that since initially posting the above, I have not been struck down by lightning - spontaneous combustion or a power cut.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 4 Mar 17 at 09:30
 Why are you here? - Dog
So, there may well be a creator of the universe after all, but rather than an old man with a long beard, it could turn out to be some junior high school student (with bad grades) in another universe. I kinda like that idea.
 Why are you here? - Runfer D'Hills
Everybody has to be somewhere.
 Why are you here? - tyrednemotional
>> Everybody has to be somewhere.
>>

Eccles, is that you?
 Why are you here? - Clk Sec
Mork calling Orson...
>> Everybody has to be somewhere.
>>

But when, that is the real question?

The virtual construct that is "me" might have been activated at any time. Once it has been let loose in the ether the concept of "somewhere" has no meaning.
 Why are you here? - Dog
>>But when, that is the real question?

42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything.
 Why are you here? - NortonES2
Cogito ergo somewhere, you mean? With apologies to Descartes:)
Latest Forum Posts