Non-motoring > Travel insurance for 'oldies' Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 15

Travel insurance for 'oldies' - legacylad
Late next month I'm taking my 89yo Mum to Espana for a week. Along with two friends ( to help out!)
She hasn't been abroad for almost 20 years, yet surprisingly has a current passport....any suggestions for travel insurance before I start trawling the web. She has high BP and vascular problems in one leg...she could always take a chance without, as presumably if something nasty happens hospital treatment will be available pretty much FOC, although if she croaks that might be a problem. She's stoical about it.
Thanks for any advice
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - Roger.
We were "oldies" when living in Spain and could never find travel insurance at an affordable price, for trips back to the UK. We risked it.
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - sherlock47
>>if she croaks that might be a problem<<

Probably the least expensive problem :)

Provided you only wish to repatriate the ashes. Although I suggest that you discuss with her first, since you have indicated that she seems to be a pragmatic individual.
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - Runfer D'Hills
Probably wise to be prudent, I've heard that some old people can be particularly vulnerable on holiday. They often fall down steps and break their hips apparently, well, the doddery ones do I gather. Might be hearsay of course. ;-)
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - tyrednemotional
>>.....They often fall down steps and break their hips apparently, well, the doddery
>> ones do I gather.

...she'll be fine if she keeps off the drink..... ;-)
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - Zero
>> Probably wise to be prudent, I've heard that some old people can be particularly vulnerable
>> on holiday. They often fall down steps and break their hips apparently, well, the doddery
>> ones do I gather. Might be hearsay of course. ;-)

Shut yer geggy,
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - No FM2R
>>Provided you only wish to repatriate the ashes

Repatriating a live body unsuitable for normal air travel arrangements is damned b***** expensive.

No upper age limit, most pre-existing conditions accepted. Single travel or annual. Not used it myself, but it was recommended to someone I know.

www.ageuk.org.uk/products/insurance/travel-insurance/
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - henry k
>> No upper age limit, most pre-existing conditions accepted. Single travel or annual. Not used it
>> myself, but it was recommended to someone I know.
>>
>> www.ageuk.org.uk/products/insurance/travel-insurance/
>>
Plus, I note
"Some travellers have medical conditions that simply cannot be covered by the standard Age UK Travel Insurance policy. In those cases you may be referred to a broker, P. J. Hayman & Co. Limited, which operates a scheme called ‘Free Spirit’ that may be able to help provide cover for you."
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - Duncan
>>
>> Thanks for any advice
>>

Holiday Safe:-

tinyurl.com/hfxuho8
Many thanks for the helpful & informative replies
She has a vascular problem in one leg, and is seeing the consultant in a fortnight for the results of the MRI scan. I shall ask what the exact name of the problem is...one of those websites has various vascular options to tick so best get it right when applying.
My gut feeling is that it will be too expensive so she'll wing it!
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - geoff1248
If she is travelling within the EU then she should apply for an E111 medical card. This will give her a level of medical care in case of an emergency and is free. There is a company EHIC Plus which can arrange insurance for the elements not covered by the E111.
The cost of insurance can be reduced by excluding pre-existing medical conditions from the policy.
Either way her age will always be a disadvantage and a cost.
Job done
She has an EHIC but was more concerned with repatriation costs. It took me 2hours+ to list her medical conditions... cholesterol, High BP & the exact vascular disease. Plus her current medications, date of previous operation, consultant invites etc but we got there!

Holiday Safe were circa £70. Saga £265. So worth the time & trouble submitting info to obtain online quotes, then confirming various things over the phone.

Thanks again
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - smokie
That's just for the single trip I presume, not annual?
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - Dulwich Estate II
"Holiday Safe were circa £70. Saga £265"

Not surprised - I've pretty much dumped Saga from my thoughts when getting quotes.
 Travel insurance for 'oldies' - Clk Sec
Same here. They've offered me quotes for motor insurance on several occasions over the years, but their prices have been way above what I've ended up paying.
Yes smokie that is a single trip. At 89 yo and with medical issues I think it's a bargain. I'll spend more than that on gin & tonic from Carrefour putting up with her for a week...well, she is my Mum.

This year my annual multi trip insurance has cost me £150. Before anyone says "how much" that is worldwide including winter sports and very extensive cover which plenty of other insurers don't include.

Friends of mine were in China when the Icelandic ash cloud thing happened. Hugely interrupted flight schedules and an extra 6 days in China resulted in additional £2k expenses, which their insurer would not cover. Lesson learnt for a jet setter like moi!

Titter titter
Latest Forum Posts