Non-motoring > RIP John Surtees Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ian (Cape Town) Replies: 8

RIP John Surtees - Ian (Cape Town)
Former Formula 1 and motorcycling world champion John Surtees has died at the age of 83, his family has announced.

Surtees is the only man to have won the grand prix world championship on both two wheels and four.
 RIP John Surtees - Manatee
I am saddened to hear that, having been to see him relatively recently with a mutual friend. Just checked, it was last August. He seemed well enough. Interesting man, very deep. Ask him a question and he was apt to fall silent, as if ignoring the questioner. What he was actually doing was formulating a thoughtful answer.

>>Surtees is the only man to have won the grand prix world championship on both two wheels and four.

And almost certainly the only person who ever will.

I'd love to know why he was not made Sir John Surtees. Didn't like to ask him.
 RIP John Surtees - Dulwich Estate II
A South Londoner.

His dad's (Jack Surtees) motorbike shop was round the corner (ish) from me. John's shop was in West Wickham near Croydon.

RIP John Surtees - Rudedog
Born in the same village as I was brought up, until I moved up the road to BH.

RIP John Surtees - Mike Hannon
>>I'd love to know why he was not made Sir John Surtees<<

So would I.
 RIP John Surtees - Bromptonaut
>> So would I.
>>

Too much (small p) politics in honours even now, never mind when JS was in his prime.

Never exclude possibility it was offered and declined though.
 RIP John Surtees - CGNorwich
He was a CBE.

Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire has a nice ring to it.
 RIP John Surtees - zippy
Amazing chap!

RIP
 RIP John Surtees - MD
I look at a lot of news and I didn't have a clue. It just shows you what the modern press think is pertinent.
Latest Forum Posts