Non-motoring > Is that a carpet being lifted? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 15

Is that a carpet being lifted? - sooty123
www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-39255034

Nothing to see here, move along.

Not sure why she bothered with the investigation, if when it provided evidence of people milking the system it just got canned.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - henry k
www.express.co.uk/news/politics/778292/Baroness-Betty-Boothroyd-slams-David-Cameron-appointing-peers-House-of-Lords

Is there a plot being made to scrap the Lords ?
If not then they need to stop digging.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - Dutchie
Three hundred pound daily allowance?

That is money for old rope nice if you can get it.In the meantime the house of commons is falling to bits.They all be soon moving into prefabs.Only about 3 billion to be spend to put the building right.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - CGNorwich
Been trying unsuccesfully since 1649

"The Commons of England assembled in Parliament, finding by too long experience that the House of Lords is useless and dangerous to the people of England to be continued, have thought fit to ordain and enact, and be it ordained and enacted by this present Parliament, and by the authority of the same, that from henceforth the House of Lords in Parliament shall be and is hereby wholly abolished and taken away; and that the Lords shall not from henceforth meet or sit in the said House called the Lords' House, or in any other house or place whatsoever ..."
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - Cliff Pope
Interesting that the remaining hereditaries are the only elected peers in the Lords :)
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - Roger.
......and what is the current justification in having C. of E. bishops in the upper house?
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - sooty123
Inertia i would imagine, that and if they tug at that particular piece of string , who knows what might happen.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - The Melting Snowman
I would boot them all out. If we must have a second chamber, then it should be fully elected.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - Bromptonaut
>>If we must have a second chamber, then it
>> should be fully elected.

Barring massive reform of the Commons to remove both the distortions of first past the post AND Prime Ministerial patronage we must have a checking mechanism,

While no 'clean sheet of paper' design would give you an appointed/hereditary upper chamber it's actually working OK.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - No FM2R
For once, I entirely agree with Simon.

Perhaps we wouldn't plan to be where we are, but we are, and even if it isn't perfect, it works ok.

The status quo is just something people like to whine about, whatever the subject.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - Harleyman
>> For once, I entirely agree with Simon.
>>
>> Perhaps we wouldn't plan to be where we are, but we are, and even if
>> it isn't perfect, it works ok.
>>
>> The status quo is just something people like to whine about, whatever the subject.
>>

Don't remind me. Our motorcycle club (national one-make) has been running its AGM in the Midlands for as many years as I can remember; attendance is usually no more than 150 out of about 1500 members which I'm told is pretty good for an AGM.

Every damn year, someone pops their heads up on our internet forum and demands either postal or on-line voting; the former prohibitively expensive, the latter of course fraught with risks and limited to those who have internet access. Trouble is, they never want to help implement it but expect the incumbent committee to do it "because it's their job".

I shall be attending this coming Saturday, will bet any money that the bloke who does the moaning won't.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - CGNorwich
>> I would boot them all out. If we must have a second chamber, then it
>>
And should both House's being elected whose decision would be paramount in the event of conflicting views?
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - Cliff Pope
>> I would boot them all out. If we must have a second chamber, then it
>>

The more democratic credibility you give the Lords the more justification they have for sometimes thwarting the will of the Commons.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - Manatee

>> The more democratic credibility you give the Lords the more justification they have for sometimes
>> thwarting the will of the Commons.

And if they are elected by the same people who put the Commons in then you won't necessarily get a moderating influence.

Perhaps at minimum the elections should be staggered. And maybe the Lords could be elected for life, or until a maximum age. One of the good things about the Lords IMO is that they don't have to worry about keeping their seats.

Perhaps you wouldn't start from here, but it does seem to work.
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - Harleyman
>> ......and what is the current justification in having C. of E. bishops in the upper
>> house?
>>

For the entertainment of the Lord Chancellor.

"When sitting on the Woolsack in the House of Lords, I amuse myself by saying "b****cks" sotto voce to the Bishops"

Lord Hailsham
 Is that a carpet being lifted? - Bromptonaut
>> "When sitting on the Woolsack in the House of Lords, I amuse myself by saying
>> "b****cks" sotto voce to the Bishops"
>>
>> Lord Hailsham

So the Lords Spiritual pi**ed off my sometime boss Quintin Hogg??

I rest my case!!
Latest Forum Posts