Non-motoring > Turks in the Netherlands. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dutchie Replies: 28

Turks in the Netherlands. - Dutchie
A bit of a restless situation in my old home town Rotterdam.Street protest fights with coppers and calling the Dutch Nazis.

I know Holland is far from perfect but it is not a dictatorial regime the last time I was there.

All good food for Geert Wilders it looks like Erdogan the Turkish god is stirring the pot.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Old Navy
Some people don't realise that you should abide by the laws and conventions of the country whose land you are standing on.

The Turkish police are not tolerant of foreigners causing hassle.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Mike Hannon
Perhaps someone should ask Mr Erdogan where the opposition rallies are being held.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - sooty123
>> Perhaps someone should ask Mr Erdogan where the opposition rallies are being held.
>>

I think there's been a few across Germany.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Manatee
I'm struggling a bit with Erdogan.

The irony of calling the Dutch Nazis while trying to turn Turkey into an authoritarian state perhaps hasn't struck him.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - henry k
Is there still an invite on the table for Turkey to join what is left of the EU ?
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Bromptonaut
They were made an a associate member while De Gaulle was still saying 'Non' to UK.

Progress beyond that has been glacial. IIRC Erdogan's move to authoritarian rule has put the brakes on tighter.
Then there's the issue of Cyprus to resolve and despite another round of talks the other month that still seems in deadlock.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Cliff Pope
Shouldn't people confine their election rallies to the country holding the election, not try to hold them in other people's?
>> Shouldn't people confine their election rallies to the country holding the election, not try to
>> hold them in other people's?

I can understand them wanting to have them where the voters are. I have seen reference to there being 1.5m Turks in Germany and 0.4m in the Netherlands (which sounds a lot?) and they will be able to vote in many cases.
I can see why, however for reasons all too obvious, it's best if electioneering is kept inside the country that is voting.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Zero
Ex pats should never be allowed to vote in domestic elections. Applies as much to Brits living in Spain voting in the UK as it does to Turks living in Germany voting in Turkish elections.
I wonder, do any countries exclude their expats from voting?
 Turks in the Netherlands. - tyrednemotional
>> I wonder, do any countries exclude their expats from voting?
>>

North Korea.....
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Zero
>> >> I wonder, do any countries exclude their expats from voting?
>> >>
>>
>> North Korea.....

They dont have any expats. Alive that is.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - tyrednemotional
>>
>> They dont have any expats. Alive that is.
>>

yup, excluded with extreme prejudice.... ;-)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Mon 13 Mar 17 at 21:46
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Bromptonaut
>> I wonder, do any countries exclude their expats from voting?

IIRC UK historically tended to remove franchise from ex-pats but gradually eased restrictions

There were court cases about long term UK expats being disenfranchised in the EU referendum.

Looks as though govenment has susequently rolled over and allowed vote for those long gone overseas:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/expats-given-vote-for-life-uk-elections-government-says
Thanks I'd forgotten about that court case. I think US citizens retain the right to vote regardless of where they are?

I suppose theres two schools of thought, that they remain citizens wherever they are and it's a connection to the mother country or they've left so have no voice in any election.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - legacylad
I'm in the latter school of thought
Big mistake by Erdogan calling people fascist.One of the Dutch ministers who is Jewish the majority of his family was wiped out in WW2.

This has nothing to do with voting rights but more the way it is done.Erdogan rules as a dictator has people locked up for standing up against him.Journalist are locked up in Turkishland.

Turks in the Netherlands. - commerdriver
>> Looks as though govenment has susequently rolled over and allowed vote for those long gone
>> overseas:
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/expats-given-vote-for-life-uk-elections-government-says
>>
Wonder if that will be applied to expat Scots in independence referenda since these seem to be turning into a regular event (at least until Nicola gets the "right" result) :-)
 Turks in the Netherlands. - martin aston
RE ex-pat Scots. Last time Scots resident in England didn't get a vote in the referendum. This despite the fact that, had it gone through, then ex-pats would have found their official nationality being Scottish rather than British and been entitled only to a Scottish passport. To add insult to injury, non-Scots resident in Scotland did get a vote but would of course have retained their nationality and passports.

There was word of a court case to address the lack of voting rights of ex-pats but I think it fizzled out.

Nobody seemed to fully work out the future status of Scots living "abroad" in England,in the event of a "yes" vote. Would they have to apply to remain? Would they be subject to some additional taxes from Scotland as I believe can be the case for US citizens and their Ex-pats?
Brexit shows how rights of individuals to remain are not a given.

Linking back to the main thread if I had to protest about this I might have to go back North.
Rutte Dutch prime minister has won with still a decent majority.It won't be that difficult for him to form a coalition.D 66 and Green left.The Green left took a lot of votes from the Labout party who governed with the VVD Rutte's party for four years.

If I was Geert Wilders emigrate and leave politics.Hatred and creating division is not going to be the answer to the future of a country.

Rutte took on he Turks not allowing them to cause more mayhem in a stable country.Like he said leave if it is that bad living amongst us.

Do you think Rutte being stern was what cooked Wilders' goose?
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Dog
>>Rutte being stern

Lehi?
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Roger.
Bouffant Boy may be a bit OTT, but he has a point about Islam.
Like all man-made religions, Islam is about control.
In its case it is just not to whom one should pray, but control over every facet of life.
(In its heyday, to be fair, so was the Christian religion, but that has changed, thankfully).
I fear that if unchecked, Islam will seriously (and not for the better) affect Western civilisation and way of life.
How to combat the pernicious doctrine is a huge problem.
History's lesson is that proscribing a religion and persecuting its adherents is the surest way to ensure its survival and spread.

Roger what is it with you with this obsession.You lived in Spain amongst foreigners enjoyed the sun.I have had no islamist knocking on my door who wants to control me.

Jehova witness and Mormons yes.Not really control just join us.

Fear mongering and populist policies.It backfired in the Netherlands Geert Wilders is a movement.And the majority of the Dutch population the young people came out to vote against his movement.
 Turks in the Netherlands. - Ambo
>>Like all man-made religions...

What other kind is there?
 Turks in the Netherlands. - NortonES2
Careful ambo. The men with little axes will be visiting:)
Latest Forum Posts