Non-motoring > -and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 8

-and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips - Roger.
Today we received our council tax demand for the year 2017/2018.
Balance due = NIL ! Whaaaat!
Looking at their calculations we have 100% rebate/allowance.
Visions of untold luxury, a new car, chicken only once a week. the life of Reilly, flashed before my eyes - well as much as just over a hundred quid a month would allow.
Further investigation revealed that the rebate was due to a scheme linked to Pension Credit.
Being a cautious bloke who never thinks that good stuff arrives from the District Council, I called their helpline.
"Yes" said the advisor "that is correct. We have been advised by the Pensions Agency that you are receiving Pension Credit and that entitles you to full Council Tax benefit".
Well. I'm NOT in receipt of said bunce, so I asked the advisor to double check
"I'll pass it to a team to look at, but it will take a while".
I knew it was too good to be true.
I looked on-line: used the Pensions Service Pension Credit calculator which told me what I already knew - "You are not entitled".

Ah well, dreams over, hopes dashed, lips dry and while we await the "official" response, I'll tuck my estimate of the monthly payment into a savings account.

I wonder how many folk would just accept such a bill?

-and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips - MD
They've similarly cuffed things up here.. ruddy idiots the lot of them..
 -and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips - legacylad
Living as 'Jimmy no mates' I get a 25% reduction
My deceased Aunts flat, vacant occupancy, pays full council tax. I found that hard to believe, but after a pleasant chat with the Bradford MDC office yesterday confirmed it to be so. I was expecting at least 3 months free of charge.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 18 Mar 17 at 08:05
 -and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips - tyrednemotional
...of course, there may well be circumstances that aren't apparent, but from the wording on their (Bradford MDC) website, I'd be inclined to ask again:

Where a property is left unoccupied after the death of the owner/tenant then the Estate may be eligible for an exemption provided that no living person or entity can be considered to be the owner of the property other than in their capacity as Executor.

For further information have a look at exemptions class F on our property discounts page.

which leads to

Properties which may be exempt from Council Tax..............

A dwelling which has been unoccupied since the owner or tenant died, and the person who would be liable to pay the Council Tax would be so only in their capacity as a personal representative (this means that the ownership of the property cannot be considered to reside with any living person or entity). The exemption lasts whilst no grant of probate or letters of administration has been obtained, and for six months after such a grant, provided that the property remains within the estate and does not pass to another person or entity.
Where the tenancy continues after the death of the tenant, the exemption lasts until the tenancy is terminated.
 -and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips - mikeyb
I know the rules change all the time, but when my Mother died I think I had 6 months with no charge
 -and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips - Bromptonaut
Rules are here:

www.gov.uk/council-tax/second-homes-and-empty-properties

-and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips - Bobby
Occasionally if we are donated the furniture contents of a house in scenarios like this, we provide a letter stating that we have taken all the furniture out the house.
Apparently this has an affect on council tax charges. But not sure of full implications.
 -and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips - Bromptonaut
CAB Scotland say there is relief on properties that are empty because, for example the owner has died. Property must be unfurnished and unnoccupied.

Dim memory from caseworking for Public Trust Office 25 years ago is that at that time same concession applied in England. The term 'void relief' sticks in my mind.

Post devolution etc the constituent parts of UK have developed their own rules.
 -and the cup of happiness was dashed from my lips - Roger.
>>The term 'void relief' sticks in my mind.>>

It means something entirely different to me :-)
Latest Forum Posts