Non-motoring > Inflation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 68

Inflation - mikeyb
Is anyone else noticing things are creeping up in price quickly?

This week I've had a letter from the leisure center to tell me the kids swimming lessons are going up. No explanation other than "after a review" - when I've worked it out I realise they've upped it by 12% which I think is a bit strong - pretty sure that their staffing costs are not up 12% and exchange rate can't really be a big impact to them.

Note from the school yesterday to advise school dinners are going up - amounts to about 7.5% increase.

Is everything really jumping up in price like this or is it just I've had 2 examples in a week so I've paid more attention?
 Inflation - fluffy
I have noticed the price of food is creeping up.

I did a shop in Tesco and the bill came to £100 for the shop.

In Lidl that same shop was only £40.

Inflation on the CPI is 1.8% at the moment.
 Inflation - CGNorwich

>> I did a shop in Tesco and the bill came to £100 for the shop.
>>
>> In Lidl that same shop was only £40.

Sorry, Don't believe it
 Inflation - Bromptonaut
>> Sorry, Don't believe it

Not if it's Lidl (or Aldi) 'brands' v Tesco own brand/value products. OTOH discounter 'brands' v mainstream brands gives really decent savings though probably around 35/40% rather than 60.

We use Aldi rather than Lidl, for familiarity and convenience rather than any principle. Their 'brand' products tend to be better quality than big supermarkets own brands and certainly better than value stuff from conventional supermarkets.
 Inflation - Roger.
>> >> Sorry, Don't believe it
>>
>> Not if it's Lidl (or Aldi) 'brands' v Tesco own brand/value products. OTOH discounter 'brands'
>> v mainstream brands gives really decent savings though probably around 35/40% rather than 60.
>>
>> We use Aldi rather than Lidl, for familiarity and convenience rather than any principle. Their
>> 'brand' products tend to be better quality than big supermarkets own brands and certainly better
>> than value stuff from conventional supermarkets.
>>

We had a couple of Aldi 8 oz. "Specially Selected" Aberdeen Angus, 30 day matured on the bone, rump steaks yesterday. They were £3.79 each and they were delicious.
 Inflation - Runfer D'Hills
You ain't seen nothing yet. A lot of businesses ( my employers included ) forward covered on foreign currency last year. But in our case anyway, that has now been used up. Look forward to significant price increases on imported goods particularly.
 Inflation - mikeyb
Runfer - I expect to see items where exchange rates are to be considered rising, but the two examples I gave shouldnt really be impacted. Maybe the cost of heating the pool has gone up, but I cant help but think everyone is just jumping on the band wagon (and possibly blaming brexit)

is your product UK manufactured and exported, or imported?
 Inflation - Runfer D'Hills
UK design, offshore manufacturing.
 Inflation - mikeyb
So my assumption is that your design costs are probably skilled / higher paid so that should help you a little with exchange rates ;-)

As you say though, the reality is that exchange rates will start to kick into play more going forward - my last employer used to hedge going forward 3 to 4 years for stability as they reckoned a 10 cent swing in the EUR/USD rate either added or wiped about $1b of the bottom line. The margins were pretty slim so it was the difference between a really good or really bad year which they just couldn't manage without hedging
 Inflation - zippy
Lads gym membership at the local municipal gym will go from £19.95 to £29.95 per month from 1st April. No extra facilities.

The local posh gym is £65 per month its still good value.
 Inflation - Bromptonaut
>> Lads gym membership at the local municipal gym will go from £19.95 to £29.95 per
>> month from 1st April. No extra facilities.

Central gov funding is falling and, other than sums hypothecated to social care, there is limited scope to fill gaps via Council Tax.

Removal of any remaining cross subsidy to leisure, passing more fixed costs to the user or even turning a profit is inevitable.
 Inflation - zippy
>>Hedging.

The deals they strike now will be at a much lower £ / $ / € level and will have to translate in to either rising prices or lower profits.

Seeing this everyday in my job and its usually an attempt to raise prices followed by a reduction in profits, unless of course there are no other suppliers or all suppliers in the field increase prices.
 Inflation - sooty123
Nope, can't say I've noticed any price increases recently.
 Inflation - zippy
Surprisingly diesel is £1.18 per litre, especially given the falling £. If the £ were at 2014 levels would we be seeing £1.10 or even £0.90 per litre?
 Inflation - Dog
I bought 1² metre of softwood logs a few weeks ago for £90 which wood have cost me £80 last year.

Times is 'ard I tell ya - I blame the idiots who voted Leave.!

8-)
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 18 Mar 17 at 11:54
 Inflation - mikeyb
>> Surprisingly diesel is £1.18 per litre, especially given the falling £. If the £ were
>> at 2014 levels would we be seeing £1.10 or even £0.90 per litre?
>>

Crude has dropped off a bit in the last couple of weeks - a quick look at the charts shows that for most of 2017 its ranged between 54 and 57 but has now dropped off to around 51/2. I guess maybe thats protected us from more rises
 Inflation - legacylad
Four main course take away curries, 2 rice, 9 chappaties, 1 Peshawari Naan and a huge assorted starter for 4 cost £40 last Monday from the Spicy Hut in Bingley.
Sufficient left over for a substantial curry for three at lunch a few days later.

And Sainsbury's microwave Pilau rice has jumped 20% from 50p to 60p
 Inflation - The Melting Snowman
If inflation starts to rise too much then the BoE will need to increase interest rates. This is good news for pensioners and their savings, who have been robbed blind in recent years.
 Inflation - Manatee
>> If inflation starts to rise too much then the BoE will need to increase interest
>> rates. This is good news for pensioners and their savings, who have been robbed blind
>> in recent years.

Only if the interest rates go up more than inflation does.
 Inflation - fluffy
We need interest rates at normal level of about 2%.

I do not get any interest on my current account.
 Inflation - tyrednemotional
>> I do not get any interest on my current account.
>>

.....about the same interest level as your posts, then.........
 Inflation - tyrednemotional
...well, obviously someone thinks there's some interest in them, but I struggle to see where....

(cue another scowly)
 Inflation - DwainDwibley
>> We need interest rates at normal level of about 2%.
>>
>> I do not get any interest on my current account.
>>

Then put your money in to a current account that pays interest. It isn't beyond the capability of a normal sane period is it.

Santander pays 1.5% on balances up to £20,000.
TSB pays 2.96% on balances up to £1,500.
Lloyds pays 2% on balance up to £5,000.

There are many more out there fluffy so get your a*** in gear and do something about it and earn interest of at least the 2% rate that you are carping on about.
 Inflation - MD
>> UK design, offshore manufacturing.
>>
'Sterling'?
 Inflation - Zero
Inflation because of Brexit? Don't worry, its a price worth paying.
 Inflation - Mike Hannon
Lidl prices in France (and Italy) have risen rapidly in recent months and weeks. Own brand unsalted butter up from €1.05 to €1.45 for example. And in many cases quality has gone down the pan as well. I used to think I'd never shop anywhere else but only use Lidl now for a few items we can't get anywhere else.
 Inflation - CGNorwich
It's all about taking back control apparently.

Inflation - Dog
>>its a price worth paying.

+ 1

I'm with Farty.
 Inflation - fluffy
So am I.
 Inflation - fluffy
For me the cost of living depends whether one spends on branded goods or own label goods.

Morrisons mainly sells branded goods wheras Aldi sells own label goods.
 Inflation - The Melting Snowman
My missus goes to Waitrose for most of the things we need but fresh meat and vegetables from one of those farmer's co-operative affairs where you order on-line and then go and collect. All local produce at good prices. This is particularly convenient as it's literally 'down the road'.

We have tried all the main supermarkets just for a change really, there doesn't seem to be much between them. We haven't been to Aldi but have to Lidl a few times, it's OK bit there's nothing that would make us go back. We were disappointed with the quality of a few things (although to be fair they were cheaper), also we don't like the fact some fresh produce doesn't have dates on. We are in a position where we're not too bothered with saving the pennies, we can't take our money with us when we croak.
 Inflation - fluffy
I like to think I can get a bargain but I do value good quality food.

I mostly like to keep the independent shops going.

I buy my fruit and vegetables from a greengrocer and my meat from my local butcher.

My bread and cakes I buy from a deli.

If I have a choice I buy at lot of my produce from Marks and Spencer.

I also enjoy shopping in Morrisons.
 Inflation - DwainDwibley
> If I have a choice I buy at lot of my produce from Marks and Spencer.
>>
>> I also enjoy shopping in Morrisons.
>>

Have you got something against bakers? You seem to go to all of this trouble to buy vegetables from the greengrocer and your meat from a butcher but ignore the baker for a deli.

What is more, you then claim to buy a lot of your produce from Marks and Spencers which is to all intents and purposes a supermarket when it comes to food and who are renowned for perfecting the art of screwing down suppliers to the lowest possible prices regardless of the consequences to them!

No one can really enjoy shopping in Morrisons!
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 19 Mar 17 at 04:07
 Inflation - Dog
>>No one can really enjoy shopping in Morrisons!

I'm with ^this geezer.
 Inflation - DwainDwibley
>> For me the cost of living depends whether one spends on branded goods or own
>> label goods.
>>
>> Morrisons mainly sells branded goods wheras Aldi sells own label goods.
>>

Why?

Surely the cost of living is a function of what you buy to maintain your lifestyle whether those purchases are branded or not. If you buy more expensive branded goods then your cost of living will be higher than if you buy cheaper unbranded goods.

Inflation - DwainDwibley
On Sat 18 Mar 17 17:35 fluffy wrote:
>>
>> So am I.
>>

On Wed 20 Jul 16 19:36 fluffy wrote:
>>
>>Although I Voted Remain in the Brexit vote I do believe we can make a success of Brexit.
>>

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=22833&m=507949

But is that success at any price?
 Inflation - MD
>> Is anyone else noticing things are creeping up in price quickly?
>>
Is that a contradiction?
 Inflation - Dutchie
I didn't have a vote in the Brexit debacle.

Shooting yourself in the foot comes to mind.Our rates have gone up.Gas and electricity upwards.

Pension rise very small.
 Inflation - fluffy
Inflation reached 26% in 1975 to 1976.

It is now at 1.8%.
 Inflation - Bromptonaut
>> It is now at 1.8%.

And on a sharp upturn, likely to be 2.0% when next figures announced on Tuesday.

The 26% was presumably RPI, we're now using CPI which tends to give a lower figure.
 Inflation - Mike Hannon
Ah yes, the great days when you could inflate away the price/cost of your house/mortgage. And we did.
Pity the poor sods with mortgages these days. What's going to happen to their future?
Last edited by: Mike Hannon on Sun 19 Mar 17 at 11:01
 Inflation - Clk Sec
>> Inflation reached 26% in 1975 to 1976.

I remember my ex-military father being well pleased with his service pension increases at that time.
 Inflation - fluffy
High inflation erodes the real value of mortgage debt.

One of the results are high inflationary pay awards.
 Inflation - fluffy
Who owns the Zimbabwe dollar.
 Inflation - Zero
>> Who owns the Zimbabwe dollar.

No-one, its no longer a currency.
 Inflation - fluffy
Zimbabwe had trillions and trillions % inflation.

No wonder they do not have a currency.
 Inflation - Bromptonaut
>> High inflation erodes the real value of mortgage debt.

No shyt sherlock

>> One of the results are high inflationary pay awards.

Probably true in 1970s with unions. Not so sure in today's environment.
 Inflation - fluffy
There is at the moment a real increase in wages.

So we are getting richer month after month.
 Inflation - fluffy
There is no union power left.

Even the miners where beaten.
 Inflation - Old Navy
That's a poor effort .
 Inflation - fluffy
At least its a start.

There was no way the N.U.M was going to force the Thatcher Government to back down.

The Miners Strike became personal between Arthur Scargill and Margaret Thatcher.

Neither side was willing to compromise.
 Inflation - Old Navy
Not read today's papers fluffy?

www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1557361.ece
 Inflation - Old Navy
And a more up to date union move on labour.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38347947
 Inflation - DwainDwibley
I think that ASLEF might disagree with you.
 Inflation - Old Navy
I trust you don't mean me. :-)
 Inflation - fluffy
ASLEF only has limited power.

There are too many train operators now.
 Inflation - mikeyb
So it wasnt all in my head then :-)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39337909
 Inflation - Bromptonaut
>> ASLEF only has limited power.
>>
>> There are too many train operators now.

The second statement is probably correct. The first is not.

ASLEF has power whether there is one operator or 20.
 Inflation - Dulwich Estate II
" >> Inflation reached 26% in 1975 to 1976 "

I applied for a job in March 1975 at a salary of £2000 pa. I got the job and started in August 1975 when I learned the salary had gone up to £2500 pa.
 Inflation - commerdriver
Little bit after that I started work in September 1977, in October I got a 10% rise
 Inflation - No FM2R
In 1990 the average inflation was 4,116%, dropping down to 1,638% in 1994.

That was hard to manage.

In 1996 when it had dropped to 16% everybody regarded that as a huge success.

Kind of puts European problems into perspective.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 21 Mar 17 at 14:54
 Inflation - smokie
I was working at the Coal Board in London in the mid 70s, piggy backing the miners pay settlements. ISTR two in one year, one in excess of 20%. Maybe 1975?
 Inflation - Bromptonaut
Shortly after I joined the Civil Service in 1979 I got, IIRC, 19%. They removed age points from the scale so as a 19yo I did particularly well.

Average was nearer 15%.
 Inflation - fluffy
All these were inflationary pay rises.
 Inflation - Bromptonaut
>> All these were inflationary pay rises.

Chicken/Egg?
 Inflation - fluffy
I think the same the chicken or the egg.
 Inflation - Roger.
My Aldi Rich Tea biscuits are now 31p.
A week ago they were 27p, and earlier last year 25p
That's inflation :-)
 Inflation - fluffy
The statistics say the price of food has risen 0.3% on a year ago.

So you are most probably right about the price of biscuits.
 Inflation - fluffy
The annual inflation rate has gone above the 2% target to the new figure of 2.3%.

Will that mean interest rates will have to rise from the 0.25% rate of interest at the moment.
Latest Forum Posts