Non-motoring > Cheese Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 84

Cheese - CGNorwich
Cheddar is great
 Cheese - CGNorwich
Cheddar is better than Wensleydale
 Cheese - DwainDwibley
Surely Roquefort is superior? Or is that a little bit too continental?

If we are talking about cheese on toast, then Cheddar is hard to beat!

In a salad it has to be Feta.

When I read a book an arc of Stilton, some grapes and a fine port is heaven.
 Cheese - CGNorwich
Cheddar is number one on top ten cheeses
 Cheese - CGNorwich
Cheddar is best
 Cheese - Ted

Cheddar is a good all-rounder and we always have it in the fridgidaire. It's always nice to have an option now and again. ATM we have a nice crumbly Lancashire on the go. Just had a chunk with a glass of Merlot. Lunch today was two M&S hot cross buns, split and buttered with Lancashire in the middle.

For my starter in the Italian Restaurant this evening I had Mozzarella with tomato slices and basil, drizzled with Olive oil...yummy.

All cheesed out today !
 Cheese - DwainDwibley
I love cheese.

Everything tastes better with cheese on it. Burgers with Cheddar, triple cooked chips with Stilton. Lettuce with Feta.

But eating cheese late at night can give you nightmares.

I had cheese late at night and dreamt that everything had lost focus and became soft and fluffy! Fluffy here, fluffy there, fluffy everywhere, a confusing mess of fluffyness!

I am still not sure that I have awoken from my nightmare!

Cheese - CGNorwich
Fluffy likes cheese too.
 Cheese - Pat
For goodness sake, give it a rest.

If you think Fluffy is boring just don't read his posts.

If you want to see what boring really is just look at a few of you this last couple of days.

Trying to mock, to be funny, to hide behind what you really want to say to Fluffy.

That's boring.

Put your big boy trousers on and put up or shut up is my advice.

If that's too hard then just ignore him and let's get back to some sensible, funny discussions.

Pat
 Cheese - CGNorwich
You seem cheesed off.
 Cheese - Dog
Wensleydale is nicer than Cheddar.
 Cheese - CGNorwich
Wensleydale was not in th Cheeseboard Magazine top ten. Cheddars was top.

Cheese - Dog
I'm not a great lover of cheese TBH - thanks to school dinners! .. I can still recall the awful smell of the cheese salad in the dining hall of Grange Rd. junior skool, in Tower Bridge Rd. from when I was about 8 years young.

I didn't start eating cheese again until very late in life, and now have 3 cheese sandwiches per week (howl the other half live hey!)

Wensleydale can be a pain to slice - but it's a small price to pay IMO
 Cheese - Hard Cheese
>> Cheddar is great >>

Gee, thanks!
Last edited by: Cheddar on Sun 19 Mar 17 at 00:46
 Cheese - Runfer D'Hills
Cheddar on toast, absolutely. But on a cracker, I'm more of a Stilton man.
 Cheese - henry k
I dig Stiton
 Cheese - MD
Bacon and Stilton in a warm baguette. Now that's nice.
 Cheese - Clk Sec
I'm not too keen on Norwich cheese - much prefer the Fluffy variety.
 Cheese - Runfer D'Hills
Back when times wuz 'ard, I more or less lived on apples, cheese and bread. Still like a slice of apple with a lump of cheese and a bit of bread and butter for lunch sometimes.
 Cheese - Ambo
Cheddar is almost best, providing it has maturated for two or preferably three years. Gorgonzola is its equal.

Roquefort is supreme. It was the first ever product to be awarded an official French Apellation d’Origine Contrôllée and may only be produced in cellars in a tiny piece of land in south-east France, 2km by 300m, by only 7 registered producers and from ewes’ milk. Production is also restricted naturally, as only the local cellars have the necessary, unique ripening conditions.

Since a kilo of cheese needs 12 litres of milk, and since a single ewe produces less than 2 litres a day, around 800,000 ewes are needed to support the industry. Connoisseurs argue over cheese from different cellars as eagerly as wine bibbers over terroir, but the British consumer is likely to be confined to sweating plastic packs from supermarkets. There is more information at www.roquefort.fr

Keeping any cheese in a fridge will remove most of the taste.
 Cheese - zippy
>> I dig Stiton
>>

That's a lot of bother for a cheese. I get mine from Waitrose!
 Cheese - CGNorwich
Samuel Pepys famously buried a Parmesan cheese in his garden to save it from the Great Fire so he must have dug cheese too.
 Cheese - Old Navy
If you want some seriously strong flavoured cheese, try this Hebridian blue. I like blue cheese but this one was too powerful for me.

www.foodfromargyll.com/view-details.php?id=215
 Cheese - Clk Sec
We like stilton but only buy it once a year. That's a big lump to last us over Christmas and the New Year.

Cheese - sooty123
I like jarlsberg cheese and a local one called Lincolnshire poacher.

Cheese - henry k
>> We like Stilton but only buy it once a year.
>> That's a big lump to last us over Christmas and the New Year.
>>
I am the only one in the household who eats Stilton and my daughter gives me a small pot from Fortnum and Masons.
www.fortnumandmason.com/t/categories/food-hall/fresh/cheese
 Cheese - Runfer D'Hills
I couldn't go a whole year between a fix of Stilton and crackers. Those Ryvita whole grain ones in preference. Or even a Jacobs if that's all there is.
 Cheese - R.P.
The Jacob's High Fibre ones are great !
 Cheese - Cliff Pope
>> >> I dig Stiton
>> >>
>>
>> That's a lot of bother for a cheese. I get mine from Waitrose!
>>

You are obviously not a Stilton man. At Christmas Stilton comes in a pot, and you dig (geddit?) the cheese out with a spoon.
 Cheese - Manatee
According to my more knowledgeable half, people who eat cheese are less likely to be obese than those who do not. This is good news

I don't mind blue and mould ripened cheese but I don't like it runny and stinky. I love a firm, new Camembert or Brie and just out of the fridge is fine. Everyday cheese for us is usually Wensleydale, Cheshire, or crumbly Lancashire. Never Cheddar.

All are good on their own, in a sandwich with pickle, and with a bit of fruit cake or toasted tea cake.

Cheddar can be nice but much of it is bland or just salty.

Cheese on toast should have Henderson's Relish on it.
 Cheese - Runfer D'Hills
Henderson's relish? Never tried that. Lea and Perrins of course, everyone has that on toasted cheese ( as it is properly known ) don't they? And black pepper, natch.
 Cheese - Manatee
>> Henderson's relish? Never tried that.

I won't diminish the relish by saying it's like Worcestershire sauce, but it serves a similar purpose.

Booth's in Knutsford sell it according to the stockist map:) For the most part it is a Sheffield thing. Of a handful of stockists south of the Watford Gap, one is the community shop I volunteer at a couple of miles from here. I keep it supplied by picking up a couple of cases when I can conveniently call at the factory. It has a certain following amongst the customers (since I made them all buy some).

Unlike the other sauce it doesn't contain anchovies, and the local pub now keeps some for making vegetarian b***** Mary's for a non-carnivorous customer.

t&e - no, but I did live in Sheffield or a while. I started about 30 miles further north.
 Cheese - Runfer D'Hills
Odd place, Knutsford.
 Cheese - CGNorwich
Interesting. Henderson's Relish seems to be unavailable outside South Yorkshire. Great that there are still peculiarly local foodstuffs.

Of course no right thinking persons would eat grilled cheese without Lea and Perrins and freshly ground black pepper as Runfer points out.

I would also confess to cheese and jam sandwiches (must be raspberry).
 Cheese - Runfer D'Hills
Cheese and banana sandwiches are nice.
 Cheese - No FM2R
>> Henderson's Relish seems to be unavailable outside South Yorkshire.

Where there's a will.....

www.amazon.com/Hendersons-Relish-284ml/dp/B0145F984E
 Cheese - sooty123
Of course no right thinking persons would eat grilled cheese without Lea and Perrins and
>> freshly ground black pepper as Runfer points out.

Must be wrong thinking then ;) no black pepper for me, not keen on the stuff at all.
 Cheese - CGNorwich
Persevere. You will come to appreciate that freshly ground pepper has flavour as well as heat.
 Cheese - sooty123
Who knows, but I've never really liked the stuff tbh.
 Cheese - tyrednemotional
>>Cheese on toast should have Henderson's Relish on it.

....good Lord, you're not a Dee-dar are you?........
 Cheese - Focal Point
I had a cheese called Stinking Bishop once. Very nice.

For more ideas, see:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWDdd5KKhts
 Cheese - CGNorwich
Charles de Galulle once said
"How can anyone govern a nation that has two hundred and forty-six different kinds of cheese?"

Of course the Americans only have only one sort of cheese which they call "cheese".

Cheese - sooty123
> ....good Lord, you're not a Dee-dar are you?........
>>

Who or what is a dee-dar?
 Cheese - Old Navy
The local Morrisons stock Hendersons relish, it is a bit north of the M4 though, and Hadrians attempt at independence for the SNP worshipers. :-)
 Cheese - R.P.
www.snowdoniacheese.co.uk/explore-the-company/the-snowdonia-story/

Local cheese - picked a pack from a local factory store. It is delicious. A Dutch friend took a stack home last summer...he loves it
 Cheese - sooty123
>> www.snowdoniacheese.co.uk/explore-the-company/the-snowdonia-story/

I get the black bomber ones from the local butchers, delicious.
 Cheese - zippy
>> > ....good Lord, you're not a Dee-dar are you?........
>> >>
>>
>> Who or what is a dee-dar?
>>

Someone from Sheffield I think. Henderson's Relish was only available in certain environs around those parts.
 Cheese - sooty123
Someone from Sheffield I think.

Thanks never heard that phrase before. Is it some sort of quaint provincial phrase?
 Cheese - CGNorwich
From the local pronunciation of thee and thar apparently.
 Cheese - Bromptonaut
>> Someone from Sheffield I think. Henderson's Relish was only available in certain environs around those
>> parts.

Leeds had it's own Yorkshire Relish made by Goodall Backhouse who sold out to another regional brand, Hammonds, in 1959. The dye company my father worked for leased it's offices in Leeds from Goodall Backhouse. If I recall correctly the Managing Director's wife was from one of the families that owned GB at time of sale.

Enduring memory is of the spice smell from the adjacent sauceworks.

letslookagain.com/tag/history-of-goodall-backhouse/

The last few paragraphs giving a potted history of Hammonds since 1959 is sadly reminiscent of tales of so many once iconic brands where all that remains is a name traded between multinationals.

Hammonds had and/or sponsored a rather good brass band:

hammondsband.org.uk/history/
 Cheese - Hard Cheese
>>Henderson's Relish >>

We found Henderson's Relish in a pub on Exmoor when down there walking between Christmas and New Year.
 Cheese - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Who or what is a dee-dar?
>>

...a resident of the city built on seven hills (no, not Rome).

Used as a term of abuse affection for all such residents by inhabitants from the surrounding area.
 Cheese - Runfer D'Hills
I have heard it said, that if you are lost in Sheffield, and you want find the city centre, then just walk downhill. When I was a child, my father fairly randomly bought me a puppy from a stall on Sheffield market. We didn't live in Sheffield, or at the time need another dog really, but it must have seemed like a good idea on the day.
 Cheese - sooty123
...a resident of the city built on seven hills (no, not Rome).
>>
>> Used as a term of abuse affection for all such residents by inhabitants from the
>> surrounding area.
>>

I lived for 20 years a little north of Sheffield, never once heard that phrase before.
 Cheese - Manatee
Me neither. I think it might be a fitbal thing.
 Cheese - Cliff Pope
>> Me neither. I think it might be a fitbal thing.
>>

All local dialects have been invented by the Tourist Board.
They lapse into standard English when no one is listening.
 Cheese - Bromptonaut
>> Me neither. I think it might be a fitbal thing.

As another Yorkie from not Sheffield - Leeds - I've never heard it too.
 Cheese - CGNorwich
There is an interesting piece on Wikipedia about it. It seems its use has long died out in Sheffield but is occasionally used in surrounding areas as a mildly derogatory term for People from Sheffield.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Sheffield
 Cheese - tyrednemotional
...which doesn't (as far as I can tell) contain the iconic Sheffield phrasing....

Oo washi wi'? Woshi wi er sen?

:-)
 Cheese - No FM2R
What kind of cheese can you use to hide a small horse?

Marscapone.
 Cheese - DwainDwibley
Which hotel do mice stay in?

The Stilton

What’s the richest cheese in the world?

Paris Stilton

What kind of music does cheese listen to?

R n Brie

How do you handle dangerous cheese?

Caerphilly

Which cheese is made backwards?

Edam

Cheese - No FM2R
Which cheese do you use to encourage bears from the woods?

Camembert.
 Cheese - CGNorwich
There was an explosion at a cheese factory in France… all that was left was de brie.
 Cheese - No FM2R
Dammit, outclassed by that last one. :-(
 Cheese - legacylad
Cornish pirates favourite cheese?

Yarg

I love a strong blue cheese, especially on a crusty baguette with a decent red. Unfortunately, I don't drink alcohol at home so it's always a special treat when at friends or on holiday. Whilst in Spain I enjoyed some excellent local blue, half the price of Roquefort ( which I know was imported) washed down every night with decent Rioja (€5.75 for 2 bottles) from the local Carrefour. Looking in my local Booths tonight whilst buying some bangers for tea the cheapest blue cheese was £16/kilo. Wow. That's expensive.
 Cheese - No FM2R
What's a Pirate's favourite letter?

You might think its AAAAAAAR, but in fact his first love is the Ceeee.
 Cheese - Bromptonaut
In what cheese can you hide a small horse?

Mascapone......
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 21:59
 Cheese - No FM2R
Bit late there Bromp, scroll back up 5 or 6 replies.
 Cheese - tyrednemotional
>> Bit late there Bromp, scroll back up 5 or 6 replies.
>>

...to be fair, it was hiding.....
 Cheese - No FM2R
Why are Pirates no good at the alphabet?

They spend too long at ceeee.
 Cheese - No FM2R
What are the 10 letters of the pirate alphabet?

I, I, R & the 7 Cs

(I have young children with joke books, I can do this for hours)
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 22:08
 Cheese - DwainDwibley
Kids jokes, YAY!

Why does Edward Woodward have 4 Ds in his name?

If he hadn't he would be EWAR WOOWAR

Cheese - CGNorwich
We'll all be in trouble when Matron does her rounds. She doesn't approve of cheese jokes.

She told me I wasn't mature :-)
 Cheese - Timeonmyhands
To err is human,
To arrgh is pirate.
 Cheese - Ted

My cousin, John Penn had two Maiden Aunts who ran a pie shop. They pinned the prices up on the door.

They were the pie rates of Penn's Aunts.

Poor quality Pirate joke.
 Cheese - No FM2R
What did the pirate say on his 80th birthday?

Aye Matey.

Cheese - No FM2R
Specially bad to compete with Ted.....

Why do Pirates cry on their own?

Because they are private tears

Cheese - Old Navy
You are a bunch of amateurs. :-)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_the_Jolly_Roger_by_submarines
 Cheese - DwainDwibley
>> You are a bunch of amateurs. :-)
>>
>> en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_the_Jolly_Roger_by_submarines
>>

Respect! Arrrrr!
 Cheese - Manatee
There was a man in Bristol who was shot twice in the Jolly Roger. Painful, I imagine.

www.bristolpost.co.uk/police-believe-shooting-jolly-rodger-pub-filmed/story-26563377-detail/story.html
 Cheese - Zero

>> Why do Pirates cry on their own?
>>
>> Because they are private tears

Have you ever heard any good pirate jokes?

Well neither have ayyye!

Cheese - DwainDwibley
A pirates favourite motoring website.....

Caaaarrrrrr 4 Play

Cheese - rtj70
Probably a website full of viruses and all sorts, but this Russian C4P website seems to have car related stuff:

car4play.ru

Go figure. Car related things on a car website. The linked site is Russian (.ru is a clue).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 21 Mar 17 at 00:38
 Cheese - VxFan
>> (I have young children with joke books, I can do this for hours)

Would you edam and Eve it! I thought they were yours ;)
 Cheese - tyrednemotional
>> >> (I have young children with joke books, I can do this for hours)
>>
>> Would you edam and Eve it! I thought they were yours ;)
>>

..he thinks they are his as well....
Latest Forum Posts