Non-motoring > Chuck Berry Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 27

Chuck Berry - MD
Has passed away. Yet another legend gone.
 Chuck Berry - Dog
I always get these two mixed up: www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRlT8ZoExGU
 Chuck Berry - Dog
His music will last for at least the next billion years:

resistancereport.com/news/moving-letter-carl-sagan-sent-chuck-berry-ensure-music-live/
 Chuck Berry - Zero
Overrated, oversexed (in a bad way) his influence and decent output died in 1958. I thought he died years ago.

If you want proof, then I'll just say "my ding a ling"
 Chuck Berry - CGNorwich
Jonny B Goode alone would be enough to justify his reputation. Throw in another dozen or so brilliant recordings and his reputation as one of the pillars of Rock and Roll is thoroughly deserved

A crap number one doesn't negate that. Few have achieved more.
 Chuck Berry - MD
Well said CG
 Chuck Berry - Zero
>> Jonny B Goode alone would be enough to justify his reputation.
>>Throw in another dozen or so brilliant recordings

Three.

>>and his reputation as one of the pillars of Rock and
>> Roll is thoroughly deserved

for three?

>> A crap number one doesn't negate that. Few have achieved more.

Lots have done more than three, and none of those have produced a "my ding a ling"
 Chuck Berry - CGNorwich
I offer you

Maybelline
Sweet Little Sixteen
Nadine
Memphis
Back in th USA
You Never Can Tell
Promised Land
Let it Rock
Roll Over Beethoven
Brown Eyed Handsome Man
School Days
Reeling and Rockin

Any one of which is guaranteed to get people up and dancing. Forget about the Ding a Ling thing.

Chuck Berry - Zero
>> I offer you

I offer you his only UK no 1........
 Chuck Berry - Bromptonaut
>> I offer you his only UK no 1........

He's not the only 'greatest' to produce a humorous record thought by many to be carp;

David Bowie's Laughing Gnome is but one example.

And like so much else attempts by Mrs Whitehouse and other moralists to ban the record did nothing but boost its sales.

I love this bit from wiki:

"One teacher," Whitehouse wrote to the BBC's Director General, "told us of how she found a class of small boys with their trousers undone, singing the song and giving it the indecent interpretation which—in spite of all the hullabaloo—is so obvious … We trust you will agree with us that it is no part of the function of the BBC to be the vehicle of songs which stimulate this kind of behaviour—indeed quite the reverse."[
 Chuck Berry - Crankcase
When that song was in the charts, I was in prep school. I remember Mr Palmer, the headmaster, telling us all in one assembly that it was forbidden and anyone caught singing it would get a detention.

I don't think we sang it; we tended to do what Mr Palmer said, as a rule.

There were lots of forbidden things that seemed archaic even then, but we abided by them, mostly.

Martin Rowson's Chuck Berry tribute:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2017/mar/19/martin-rowson-on-chuck-berry-and-the-week-in-news-cartoon
 Chuck Berry - Mike Hannon
Another 'legend' and 'the greatest ever' dies. Until the next one pops his/her clogs that is.
Sigh.
Who was that bloke who died last year? Name begins with 'B'...
 Chuck Berry - VxFan
Bowie?
All were greats in their own way or field. Berry's claim to fame according to the obits was his pionering fusion of styles and development of the guitar.

A facebook friend with a more than passing connection to professional guitar rates Berry highly for that reason.
 Chuck Berry - Focal Point
By now we get that Zero isn't impressed by Chuck Berry.

However, a lot of people - possibly the ones that actually matter - are.

Mojo magazine names ten seminal pieces: Sweet Little Sixteen, Come On, Promised Land, You Can't Catch Me, Brown Eyed Handsome Man, Memphis Tennessee, No Particular Place To Go, Maybellene, Roll Over Beethoven, Johnny B Goode.

A long list of musicians who have paid tribute to Berry's influence includes: Red Hot Chilli Peppers' Anthony Kiedis, Guns N' Roses guitarist Slash, Mick Jagger, Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, Questlove, Keith Urban, Peter Frampton, etc., etc.

He has been described as "the rock 'n' roll founder who defined its joy and rebellion".
 Chuck Berry - Zero
>> By now we get that Zero isn't impressed by Chuck Berry.
>>
>> However, a lot of people - possibly the ones that actually matter - are.

I'm impressed (but not surprised) by your ability to attack the poster rather than the argument.
 Chuck Berry - Armel Coussine
Overrated etc etc etc....

OFFS. People have to make a living.

One turkey doesn't make a summer. Or something like that.

Anyway it isn't all that bad.

'Once I was swimming 'cross turtle creek
Man, those snappers all round my feet
It sure was hard swimming 'cross that thing
With both hands on my dingaling ling...'

Quite good actually in a vulgar sort of way.
 Chuck Berry - zippy
>>Armel Coussine

Its a joy, ok a just little joy, to see your concise and sharp postings after a long absence.

:-)

Hope you are well old man!?
 Chuck Berry - fluffy
I fully agree with you.
 Chuck Berry - fluffy
I it sad to hear of the death of Chuck Berry.
 Chuck Berry - Roger.
He did porridge for robbery and also what might have been an inflated charge of sex with a minor.
 Chuck Berry - smokie
The sources I've seen put him in jail for tax evasion (not robbery) and an offence under the Mann act, which is not exactly to do with sex with a minor, instead being " a federal law which makes it illegal to engage in the transportation of an individual for “prostitution or debauchery, or for any other immoral purpose.” "
 Chuck Berry - VxFan
Right now he's lying prostrate in a morgue, with no particular place to go.
 Chuck Berry - Dog
www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/cwbxz/chuck-berry-in-concert
 Chuck Berry - Armel Coussine
Thank you Perro. I'll be in the front row.

I was reminded when watching some Beetle stuff that young girls used to make a horrendous squealing noise, a very unmusical form of applause. I didn't mind so much at the time but now I understand how the elders used to feel when their eardrums were punished.

I have a strong dislike of rhythmic clapping by audiences too. They are always out of time anyway, but it's also a very boring thing to do.

I'm getting to an old-fart age when I dislike more things than I like. I don't feel bad about it either. I'm never wrong.
 Chuck Berry - Dog
You're very welcome Sire.

I'm a bit of a grumpy old fart these days too, and I'm just a boy of 64. Living up here on the moor with the slate grey skies and constant drizzle does nothing for the spirit either.

All change tomorrow though, thanks to high pressure moving in. These old stone cottages can get quite cold so I'm still lighting the wood burner most days - the two dogs love it, one laying on his bed in front of the fire, and the other one getting on my chair!!

I like the blues too, and always have done, so I'll be in the front row too like I was in 1968 when 2001: A Space Odyssey came out.

Crikey, it's 2017 now, I'll be a pensioner 6 months. I can remember 1968 like it was just a few years ago.

Keep well guvnor!
 Chuck Berry - Dog
>>I have a strong dislike of rhythmic clapping by audiences too. They are always out of time anyway, but it's also a very boring thing to do.

Thems still doos that today ya know Sire: www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjmp8CoZBIo
Latest Forum Posts