Non-motoring > The latest facial recognition application Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 19

The latest facial recognition application - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-39324431

Any guesses ? Is there no end to spending R& D to solve such problems.

Cue puns :-)

The latest facial recognition application - zippy
One has to wonder which cheek one needs to present to the device!?

:O
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 10:46
 The latest facial recognition application - Hard Cheese
Must be 1st April already in Beijing ...
 The latest facial recognition application - tyrednemotional
...why anyone would need more than the regulation four sheets (one up, one down, a polish and a shine) beats me!

;-)
 The latest facial recognition application - smokie
Need to use both sides...

Or maybe it's Chuck's legacy... :-)

articles.orlandosentinel.com/1991-01-07/news/9101070117_1_chuck-berry-roll-legend-chuck-wentzville
 The latest facial recognition application - Manatee
The Chuck Berry connection is that it plays Roll Over Beethoven when it has dispensed the regulation 70cm.
 The latest facial recognition application - Ted
The best toilet paper ever produced ?

Discuss.

OOPS, sorry.....came over all fluffy !
Last edited by: Ted on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 14:03
 The latest facial recognition application - CGNorwich
>> The best toilet paper ever produced ?
>>
>> Discuss.
>>
>> OOPS, sorry.....came over all fluffy !
>>

That s OK . Its Izally one.
 The latest facial recognition application - rtj70
I still remember the type of toilet paper at my primary school (a long time ago)... it was like greaseproof paper (well similar)! And now I realise it was probably called Izal :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 14:29
 The latest facial recognition application - Manatee
Bronco at school IIRC.

Boaters who have pump-out toilets know a lot about bog roll. The cheaper the better, Sainsbury's Basics is much admired. There are some "special" ones (Charmin, now renamed Cushelle comes to mind) that don't dissolve in less than a lustrum and will bung up the exit pipe almost instantly. Ditto the wet wipes.

You can buy special rapid dissolving bog paper from chandlers. Like "marine" anything (this includes things such as tea bags, bread, and milk if bought from a marina shop) it is frighteningly expensive. I'm convinced it is just repacked Sainsburys Basics.

As you were.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 14:39
 The latest facial recognition application - Bromptonaut
>> Boaters who have pump-out toilets know a lot about bog roll. The cheaper the better,
>> Sainsbury's Basics is much admired. There are some "special" ones (Charmin, now renamed Cushelle comes
>> to mind) that don't dissolve in less than a lustrum and will bung up the
>> exit pipe almost instantly. Ditto the wet wipes.

Same with caravanners who have cassette toilets. Stuff that doesn't break down quickly takes forever to rinse out of the cassette. We stupidly bought some crimson stuff in France, hell's delight to shift and then wash down the pan for 'WC chimique'.
>>Ditto the wet wipes.

Perfectly capable of blocking your household plumbing too. We've had it in this road. We were not affected , it's people a single figure number of feet lower down who have their manhole covers lift.....

Blocked plumbing and accusations around wet wipes and san pro stuff are a staple diet for landlord/tenant disputes too.
>>I still remember the type of toilet paper at my primary school (a long time ago)... it was
>>like greaseproof paper (well similar)! And now I realise it was probably called Izal :-)

I posted this elsewhere some years ago. Apologies and acknowledgement to the paper it was taken from - possibly The Times

==

Last Saturday radio documentary literally scraped the barrel of the bottom, with Sally Goldsmith’s Now Wash Your Hands (Radio 4). It was a tribute to the medicated Izal toilet roll — now sufficiently a part of history for us to get nostalgic about it rather than hating it as much as we did at the time. For those too young and fortunate not to have experienced it, the Izal loo roll was a sort of shiny white thing with the consistency of lino (it was best to scrunch it up before use, make it a bit more malleable) and smelling of coal tar. It didn’t do its job properly, tending to — how to put this delicately — spread the work rather than clean it up. Put another way, it … OK, maybe better not put it another way. Ask an older person if you’re that interested.

But by God it made for a jolly half-hour documentary on a weekend morning. From the middle of the 19th century, where the British Empire went it had a rifle in one hand and a weapons-grade bogroll in the other. Johnny Foreigner was invited to share in the Izal disinfectant experience, a miracle cure for tuberculosis, cholera, diptheria, typhus — everything short of baldness, really. Back home, the growth of the inside lavatory meant many more people went for the Izal and its cheaper, non-medicated competing brands than the more traditional forms of tending to your bitt-bott, such as torn up newspapers and string sacks that had formerly contained oranges. A cunning marketing campaign whereby municipal buildings were given free roll rolls in exchange for placing bulk orders of the disinfectant made going to a public lavatory an ordeal by fire for decades. By the Sixties, though, a more sophisticated clientele demanded a toilet roll that wouldn’t do untold damage to the perineum, and by the Eighties the Izal roll was no more. The surprising thing was that it took that long to die off.

But that was not the meat of Goldsmith’s programme. Rather it was the people who spent their lives in the Izal factory in Chapeltown, a suburb of Sheffield, making the things. A woman named Maggie Holmes, who ran one of the huge roll-making machines, handed over a cherished cutting from a local newspaper that honoured her and her colleague and best friend, Patricia for having produced 268 boxes of rolls — 72 rolls in a box — in a single eight-hour shift during “the busy time before Christmas”. Why Christmas should lead to an increase in toilet roll demand was not explained.

“It was a record that broke all other records,” Holmes said, proudly. And, yes, she and Patricia had set out to set the record. “If I could have my time over again,” she reflected, “I’d do it all over again. I loved it.”

As did the woman who once had the job of taking rejected rolls and making them fit for human consumption, as it were. If the tops of the roll weren’t flat she would sandpaper them flat. And the quality control supervisor who would select rolls at random and count the number of squares to make sure that the public wasn’t being shortchanged. That’s consumer care of an order you just don’t get these days.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 16:15
>> I still remember the type of toilet paper at my primary school (a long time
>> ago)... it was like greaseproof paper (well similar)! And now I realise it was probably
>> called Izal :-)

Ours at school had the words 'now wash your hands' at one end of the sheet and WRCC (West Riding County Council) at the other.

Something similar was civil service issue until the eighties. Seem to recall their being a fuss in the press when soft, well softer anyway - it would have been rejected by any self respecting puppy, paper was introduced.

We had to use up all the old stuff before 'admin' would order the soft.
>> We had to use up all the old stuff before 'admin' would order the soft.
>>
...not the cheap soft stuff, I hope - though I understand it makes it easier to get in touch with your inner-self.

;-)
 The latest facial recognition applicationo lles. - Roger.
I shall have a senior moment.

I well remember Bronco and Izal "medicated" bog bumph. It had quite a good "no-push-throgh" factor, but by the cringe, it was vile to use.

These days, for preference, (and it merits a trip to the store to stock up when we are in Sheffield), we use Lidl "Floralys" 4 ply tissue.

It has a delicate pink pattern, for the artistic amongst you, comes in an "easy open" pack, has a high "no-push-through" factor and is pleasantly soft on one's Farmer Giles :-)
 The latest facial recognition applicationo lles. - bathtub tom
I recall back in the '80s office bogs had soft paper whilst those in the yard (for the outdoor workers) had hard - caused much discussion.

I acquired a pack of Izal last year and donated it to a museum, I noticed it was pinched soon after going on display.
 The latest facial recognition applicationo lles. - CGNorwich
>> I recall back in the '80s office bogs had soft paper whilst those in the
>> yard (for the outdoor workers) had hard - caused much discussion.
>

Was it this stuff BT?

tinyurl.com/kq2x8tq
 The latest facial recognition applicationo lles. - No FM2R
Way, way back in the distant past I worked as a cleaner at the local DHSS offices. I was told then that hard toilet paper was actually slightly more expensive but was never nicked and so much effort and money was saved.

I've always assumed that was true, never checked though.
 The latest facial recognition applicationo lles. - Runfer D'Hills
I sort of get that. For example, my Golf GTi got stolen but no one ever took my Renault Espace.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 20 Mar 17 at 20:12
Latest Forum Posts