Non-motoring > Hooker Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 10

Hooker - Armel Coussine
In the old 100 Club in the West End, standing at the front in tribute to the master bluesman John Lee Hooker, I became aware of someone of about my age - three years younger but not significant at our age - standing also in tribute a little to my left. A discreet glance identified him as Eric Burdon of the then-eminent Animals. Most of the main audience seemed younger than us.

Oddly enough the Club was run by the uncle of a friend of mine, the friend being a distinguished left-wing intellectual (now sadly foxed by early-onset Alzheimer's).

If only things could stay the same... except that would be boring.

Incidentally, Hooker wasn't a favourite of mine. A bit dour for my taste.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 21 Mar 17 at 17:12
 Hooker - Pat
It is good to hear from you AC, I do wish you'd pop up just a little more often though to save those of us who care from worrying:)

Hooker was excellent but I never really rated Eric Burdon funnily enough.

Pat
 Hooker - Runfer D'Hills
John Lee Hooker music always makes think of several trans European overnight drives from London to Florence or vice versa in a Cortina. It was one of the few cassette tapes I had in the car. That and one by Gordon Lightfoot of all the obscure musicians. Oh and some Mozart of course. Can't cross the Alps without Mozart can you? Maybe you can, but I'd not encourage it.
 Hooker - helicopter
I was last in the 100 Club as a guest of Ben Waters who was playing there , anyone who was anyone has played there....

Just been sorting my CD collection and currently listening to and enjoying Howling Wolf London sessions , his backing band consists of some losers called Clapton, Winwood, Wyman and Watts...never heard of them...
 Hooker - helicopter
Just realised those sessions were recorded 47 years ago...
 Hooker - Armel Coussine
Yes, time marches on relentlessly. We gettin old innit?

Another incidental remark: I didn't know at the time that my intello buddy had this louche West End uncle. It would have surprised me.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 21 Mar 17 at 18:05
 Hooker - Armel Coussine
Tsk... I tried to add that the intello buddy came from a Methodist family, but the damn time had run out, **** **** **** but no blame I suppose, mumble growl.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 21 Mar 17 at 18:13
 Hooker - MD
Glad to hear from you Cat.
 Hooker - RattleandSmoke
Is it just me or is thread very different to how I imagined it would be :p
 Hooker - Runfer D'Hills
Dunno, it's had 9 respondents in three hours, probably about right for a Tuesday night...

;-)
 Hooker - NortonES2
Reminds me of a trip to west coast of Cumbria for work. The west facing window had jammed open when my colleague decided to try the electric window on the windward, and rainward, side. Montego relay fried. Colleague v. damp and unhappy. Had a track by JLH on at the time. Something about rain.
Latest Forum Posts