Non-motoring > Colin Dexter. RIP Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 3

Colin Dexter. RIP - VxFan
Surprised it's not been mentioned yet.

Colin Dexter, who wrote the Inspector Morse books, has died at the age of 86.

His series of 13 Morse novels, written between 1975 and 1999, were adapted for the long-running ITV series, which starred John Thaw.

Dexter's characters also featured in spin-off shows Lewis and Endeavour.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39342698
 Colin Dexter. RIP - Runfer D'Hills
I'm not a great fan of dead bodies and intrigue tv, but the Morse, Lewis and Endeavour series were all exceptional. Complex but believable characters and clever plots. All topped up with the added bonus of some interesting cars.

However, as with many of these dramas, I can't help feeling that if real multiple murders occurred so regularly in Oxford, it might not be quite as popular as a tourist destination!
 Colin Dexter. RIP - henry k
I have met Colin and his wife on many occasions in Oxford and he was great to talk too.
At dinners in formal halls he was always called upon to say grace, in Latin, as he was so fluent in it.
He is known for his love of crosswords but he also enjoyed Latin crosswords.
 Colin Dexter. RIP - Focal Point
I too met him at least twice, in his capacity as senior assistant secretary at the University of Oxford Delegacy of Local Examinations. A teaching colleague and I had business with certain aspects of O-level English Literature.

I didn't warm to him at all, I'm afraid - I thought he had a condescending manner which may have had something to do with his intellect, which was considerable, and his stature, which was small. Given that my colleague and I were dissatisfied with certain decisions made by the exam board, he was probably on the defensive as well.

Nor did I get involved with the general enthusiasm for Morse - either in book form, or on TV.

Not that I had any personal dislike of either the author or his invented character.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Wed 22 Mar 17 at 13:08
Latest Forum Posts