Non-motoring > United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 18

United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - henry k
... ' fall of Saigon' (sic) reports the BBC.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39586391

That is all folks so move along. Please!
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - Old Navy
Positioning for compensation?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4406882/United-passenger-make-legal-against-airline.html
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - Zero
>> Positioning for compensation?
>>
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4406882/United-passenger-make-legal-against-airline.html

If, as he claims he lost two front teeth and suffered a broken nose then absolutely, sue them for every cent that have. The CEO can pay personally.
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - Bromptonaut
>> ... ' fall of Saigon' (sic) reports the BBC.
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39586391

A silly headline which doesn't really reflect what daughter said.
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - CGNorwich
There seems to be a a deap seated problem in dealing with the public at United. Anyone remember the "United Breaks Guitars" incident. You would have thought they would have learnt something from that. Clearly not.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - MD
BRILLIANT
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - No FM2R
Mmmm, I think there's more to come out on this.

He was struck off for drug abuse, was working to get his licence back, his wife was happy and volunteered to leave, he refused, he ran back on the plane afterwards shouting "just kill me".

I don't like United and have dealt with their aggressive and OTT approach myself with resulting compensation, but I still think there's more to come out on this one
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - movilogo
Whatever be his personal characteristics, a passenger should never be treated like that. UA could have offered him first class upgrade or could have flown their 4 employees via chartered flight. They tried to save few cents and now regretting their decision.
Usually in the overbooking scenario is dealt with at th gate. Allowing the passengers to board and then trying to persuade four to,leave was always going to be difficult although every man has his price and it could surly have been dealt with by the judicious application of cash. I rather suspect the staff were only empowered to offer a payment up to a fixed limit.

Legally I believe the captain has absolute control as to who stays on an aircraft and force can be used if necessary to disembark someone who refuses to leave but such powers need to be used with discretion.
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - No FM2R
My general experience of United aircrew is that they are beligerent and aggressive. And it hasn't been much different over the last 30 years or so. I avoid flying with them for exactly that reason.

I have seen and experienced them overreacting in just these scenarios and I believe that they almost certainly mishandled this incident.

I still feel that there is more to come out.
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - spamcan61
Made me lol

www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/04/11/people-coming-new-mottos-united-airlines-best-far/

There is no doubt they mishandled the incident, the CEO even more than the cabin staff. As I said earlier you would have thought they would have learnt something about bad publicity and the internet from the "United Break Guitars incident. I guess some people an companies never learn.

There may well be more to learn about the passenger but too late to change people's perceptions now.
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - Rudedog
I heard that the CEO had recently won an industry award for 'best communicator', also the decision to remove the passenger was made by the airlines ground staff at the check-in and didn't involve the captain.

Maybe this bring about a change to the horrendous 25 page T&Cs that you seem no choice but to sign up to each time you fly.
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - henry k
>> ... also the decision to remove the passenger was made by the airlines ground staff at the
>> check-in and didn't involve the captain.
>>
The ground staff might not have been United employees. The local handling staff were possibly in United uniforms.

>> Maybe this bring about a change to the horrendous 25 page T&Cs that you seem
>> no choice but to sign up to each time you fly.
>>
IMO - No chance.
Over bookings will always be used.
e.g. Full fare business folks will book 4 flights home and depending how meetings went use the most convenient flight. There are at present no sanctions to prevent this.

A good few years ago I was standing by for a flight home from the west coast of the USA.
The fight was 1 0 0 overbooked. The check in was closed at the proper time.
Two or three passengers then arrived late to be told " Sorry too late, the check in is closed."
I hope this is an example of why over bookings will continue otherwise this flight would have had 100 empty seats earning nothing for the airline.
 United Airlines passenger ordeal 'worse than ... - Bromptonaut
>>The ground staff might not have been United employees. The local handling staff were possibly in United >>uniforms.

AIUI not even the flight crew were United employees. The flight is operated by Republic Airlines as United Express:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_Airline
 United Airlines passenger stung by scorpion - smokie
They've had better weeks I'm sure...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39599859
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 14 Apr 17 at 14:12
 United Airlines passenger stung by scorpion - Roger.
www.daftynews.com/outcry-shocking-scenes-emerge-passenger-dragged-onto-ryanair-flight/
 United Airlines passenger stung by scorpion - Duncan
>> www.daftynews.com/outcry-shocking-scenes-emerge-passenger-dragged-onto-ryanair-flight/
>>

The "Vegan Man" death story alongside made me smile!

www.daftynews.com/vegan-man-death-riddle/
Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 15 Apr 17 at 08:32
 United Airlines passenger stung by scorpion - Ted

Me too. Died of smugness.
Latest Forum Posts