Non-motoring > Record Player Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 11

Record Player - Bobby
The missus, whose birthday is in a few weeks, dropped into conversation she would like a record player. She doesn't have any records (they all melted in the house fire as they were up in the loft due to not having been played for 10 years.......)

Her idea is then to raid the charity shops for LPs and I guess, relive her youth or suchlike.

However she got grumpy with me when I suggested how she planned to link it up to a sound system, or to get sound out it, as we just have docking stations!

So anyone any ideas of cheap, around £50 or suchlike, that will tick the box of giving a present knowing fine well in 3 months time it will be up in the loft, forgotten about?
 Record Player - R.P.
www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Belt-Drive-Turntable-Speakers-Recording/dp/B01GJTOZ6U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1492503033&sr=8-3&keywords=record+player

Sort of browsed these in the past. ION have a good range I have one here for digitizing LPs that are either extinct, or unavailable in another format
 Record Player - R.P.
As for playing LPs I never do it. CD or more often streaming is the best option unless one is an audiophile, which I'm not.
 Record Player - devonite
Why not try one of those U.S.B ones that plug into your computer (or other device) and play them back through your computer speakers, or get a decent pair of smallish compatible speakers from Ebay or such to pair up to it.
 Record Player - Zero
If she wants to relive her yoof, get her a second hand dansette

Plenty on ebay

Record Player - CGNorwich
No surer cure for nostalgia than having to listen to some scratchy 45s on an original Dansette.

Record Player - Dog
Rattle and the fluff are the kiddies when it comes to vinyl
 Record Player - VxFan
>> However she got grumpy with me when I suggested how she planned to link it
>> up to a sound system, or to get sound out it, as we just have docking stations!

Does it have phono connections?

Plenty of hi-fi separates out there that still rely on a phono input.
 Record Player - Dulwich Estate II
Try Richer Sounds:

All sorts £40 to £4000

www.richersounds.com/products/hi-fi-separates/separates/turntables

Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Tue 18 Apr 17 at 13:16
 Record Player - Ian (Cape Town)

>> Her idea is then to raid the charity shops for LPs and I guess, relive
>> her youth or suchlike.
>>

Unfortunately the hipsters have already done that, and the only thing you'll find are the much played (thus much scratched) Top of the Pops cover-version compilations, and suchlike.
Which'll be 30 minutes of nostalgia, then the record player will be consigned to a cupboard for a few years, before being star attraction in a car boot sale.

OR SWMBO will go out and spend stupid money on a collection of NEW LPs,and guard them like a Fort Knox sentry, go through the ritual of unsleeveing, cleaning and setting the stylus just-so, and bore the arsses off of everyone who visits...
 Record Player - Cliff Pope
Wind-up portable gramophone and some 78s.

Record Player - Robin O'Reliant
I got my old turntable out of storage recently as the Beatles LP collection is being released as a part work and I bought the first two (Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper). It was put away in the late eighties when CDs took over. Once the novelty has worn off it's a bit of a faff unsleeving a record, trying not to touch the playing surface or drop it while holding the edges with your finger tips, then waiting while the stylus arm takes forever to go through it's ritual of lifting, moving across and dropping on the disc.

It would be worth it for the legendary sound quality if there were such a thing, but I can't tell the difference. The sleeve art is nice though.

Now as my latest automobile has a high tech radio cassette player (The forum gasps in envy) I suppose I'd better dig out the old suitcases full of cassette albums and sort some for the car.
Latest Forum Posts