Non-motoring > Rodent deterrent Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 34

Rodent deterrent - sherlock47
Furry - not fluffy!

In the past we have only suffered minor intrusions of what were very small (field mice?) animals durung the coldest months of the year. Global warming is not having a sufficient effect yet, and Easter Mouse has appeared, probably with friends. It also looks a little larger or is it just better fed?

In the past the cheapo semi conventional designs have only worked as feeding platforms - has anybody experience of the ultrasonic deterrents?

Like www.screwfix.com/p/pest-stop-psir-sh-small-house-electronic-pest-repeller/8337h

.*********

Rodent deterrent - Hard Cheese
>> has anybody experience of the ultrasonic deterrents?
>>

Got one in the garage, not the same as your link though, not had any mice in there ... though that could be that they have never been attracted to it anyway. It does not deter the neighbours cat who sometimes gets in there if the dog does not notice and occasionally sprays, usually up my motorbike tyre ...

Rodent deterrent - devonite
How do you know if they are working or not? - We got one once and apart from the LED flashing occasionally we never heard a thing!
 Rodent deterrent - smokie
Five or ten years ago we had something - probably a rat - in the loft. I tried a Big Trap and a couple of other things (including a device which should have electrocuted it) then got a sonic repeller. He went and I've never found any remains but whether it was the sonic thing I'm not sure. I did discover recently it's not been turned on for an unknown period but as far as I know we have nothing living up there at the moment.

If I had a problem elsewhere I think I'd invest in one again at the kind of price you have found.
 Rodent deterrent - Dog
>>we never heard a thing!

Are you a man or a mouse? they probably operate above your hearing range of 20,000 hurts :)
 Rodent deterrent - Dog
The Hoont gets good reviews:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NAPL5FF/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1492603828&sr=8-13&keywords=ultrasonic+mouse+deterrent

ADVANCED ELECTROMAGNETIC TECHNOLOGY - The HoontTM Indoor Electronic Pest Repeller emits advanced ultra-powerful deep penetrating electromagnetic waves which prevents insects and pests from entering your home. The patented electromagnetic causes in-wall wiring to send electronic pulse signals, thus acting as a shield and effectively preventing pests from passing through your home's walls. It also disturbs existing rodent and insect nests; causing all pests to leave your walls and home. Outdoor pests and insects will no longer try entering your home. / Includes LED indicator lights to let you know waves are working.

If i was an insect I think that this would scare the s*** out of me. And keep well clear.

Thanks for the comments - and the link - most users seemed convinced.
 Rodent deterrent - Timeonmyhands
Hold the rat in your left hand and hit it on the head with the ultrasonic device, kills them a treat.
 Rodent deterrent - movilogo
I have mice in my garage. Installed an ultrasound rodent repeller which turned out to be useless product.

The glue pads are much better. At £2 each they are pricey though and I discard it once a mouse is caught.

Recently discovered a £1 per pad version which seems equally effective.

Rodent deterrent - The Melting Snowman
Get a cat. Our old moggie was a great mouser.
 Rodent deterrent - Harleyman
>> Get a cat. Our old moggie was a great mouser.
>>

They're very effective; till you get one that likes to show off and brings a live mouse inside.

Thankfully the other cat woke up and disposed of it.
 Rodent deterrent - No FM2R
>> Get a cat. Our old moggie was a great mouser.
>
>They're very effective

I have little doubt that if a deaf, three legged mouse with arthritis should ever invade my house, one of the cats will get it within a day or two.

Any other type of mouse is likely to evade them as being too fast, too aware and too agile.
 Rodent deterrent - bathtub tom
>> Any other type of mouse is likely to evade them as being too fast, too
>> aware and too agile.

We had a cat that took great delight in bringing his 'catches' home.
A great, fat, black, slimy toad he deposited on the mat that I thought was something else until it winked at me.
Several mice that had SWMBO standing on a chair and screaming at me to get rid of.
Dessicated frog (may have been previous toad) when I moved washing machine out for a repair.
Damn thing would never bother about spiders that SWMBO hated.
 Rodent deterrent - Bromptonaut
>> The glue pads are much better. At £2 each they are pricey though and I
>> discard it once a mouse is caught.

Funny you should mention those. I've never seen them in UK but currently in Texas and spotted them in Walmart while stocking up on stuff.

Do they kill the mouse or is it disposed of alive?
 Rodent deterrent - Dog
>>The HoontTM Indoor Electronic Pest Repeller emits advanced ultra-powerful deep penetrating electromagnetic waves

Yeah, stuff that then sherlock, I don't do electromagnetic waves. I switch orf the wi-fi on my Neatgear too.

(*_*)
 Rodent deterrent - Manatee
We buy Big Cheese pre-baited mouse traps cheaply on ebay. We re-bait them with chocolate. They work.

We used to use live catch traps, which did work, but we tend to forget to check them and the boss didn't like finding dessicated corpses that had died of thirst and starvation. When we did catch them alive I used to release them half a mile down the road outside the house of thoroughly unpleasant man.
 Rodent deterrent - Dog
This is what I use, for rats ( big mothers!) mainly:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neosorexa-Gold-Mouse-Rat-Poison-1kgs-Loose-Grains-/262695195205?hash=item3d29da9245:g:D0AAAOSwgNRV8c9E
 Rodent deterrent - Cliff Pope
That's what we use, or the bigger tub from the farmers coop with large blocks looking like cylinders of pink plasticene.
Rats love it, but it takes a prolonged dose to get them. I put down a block each day, and replace it the moment it has gone. if the block is still there the next morning, it means the rat is dead. If you stop too soon it recovers and then seems to have immunity.

Other measures are to avoid food sources. Rats are clever and agile, and can jump onto hanging chicken feeders. It's better to scatter a limited amount each feed so that none gets left lying around as an attraction. They can also bite their way into corn sacks, and overturn a plastic bin to tip the contents out. They can gnaw through wood, chicken wire, and even concrete.

I've never understood how rats and mice avoid being electrocuted when they chew live wiring. I've had several feet of cable neatly stripped back to bare wires - they'd need relays of suicide volunteers to achieve that if 240 volts really killed them. And then the last survivor to drag all the dead bodies away.
 Rodent deterrent - Dog
>>They can gnaw through wood, chicken wire, and even concrete.

Tell me about it!!

>>And then the last survivor to drag all the dead bodies away.

And eat them.

Haven't seen any rats about lately, so I must've done them some damage. I've had them die in the loft above my kitchen - Christ what a pen and ink! Or they croak outside and my two dogs find them :(

Lickle mices don't bother me, but she who should be ignored orders me to 'deal' with them, so I put mouse traps in the loft abouve 'her' bedroom baited with Whole Earth sugar-free organic peanut butter :o

Rodent deterrent - Pat
I have a large white cat I will hire out if the price is right!

He is known in the village as 'the ratter from Eastmoor' so I'm told, and this morning he brought in a full size rabbit for me to see before he ate all but the tail and ears.

Pat
 Rodent deterrent - Ted

I still get mice in the workshop but access to the rat has been denied, unless he's mega strong.

My unpatented 'Mouseocutor' dealt with the mice but I've found more evidence. Probably field mice as there is a field behind the building. Not too bothered this time as they haven't been on the workbech dumping and micturating on everything.

I found poos in a drawer but they have only damaged a roll of kitchen bin liners by eating through to the middle. They haven't touched any other plastics in there. I also have some large offcuts of silver faced insulated wallboard, about 1.5 inches thick. They've had a real go at those, chewing some to white dust.

I wonder why they seem attracted to these items and not other stuff.
 Rodent deterrent - Dog
>> they haven't been on the workbech dumping and micturating on everything.

Werd of the day: www.bing.com/search?q=micturating&form=U374DF&pc=U374
 Rodent deterrent - Tigger
>> has anybody experience of the ultrasonic deterrents?
>>
I did have mouse problems. I now use three ultrasonic deterents - I understand that using multiple is much more effective than one.

No problems in the last ten years.
 Rodent deterrent - R.P.
I had an incursion last winter. Trapped and killed 11 or so of them. Not been back since.
 Rodent deterrent - Dulwich Estate II
Get yourself a pet python - guaranteed to work. Commonly used in parts of Australia to get rid of rats or mice in your roof.

I have taken the gamble of 2 Ultrasonic units - time will tell if they are effective.

I will also set some mouse feeders (sold as traps) up to see if they are still around.
 Rodent deterrent - busbee
As explained here, radio waves, a transmitted TV signal and light, are each an electromagnetic wave: physics.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/EMWaves.html Light being millions of times higher in frequency than radio waves.

If these sonic deterrents really do generate em waves, why is no one complaining of the interference they could cause? Or is it just that the repellent manufacturers don't really understand what it is they are doing, but saying it is a good marketing ploy?

For instance if you use a miniature loudspeaker to generate high frequency sound, instead of a piezoelectric one, you have current flowing through the speaker coil in a magnetic field to move the diaphragm but you do not generate an electro-magnetic wave, only a sound wave.

They do not state what the em frequency is, but an oscilloscope or frequency analyser would soon show that.

Last edited by: busbee on Tue 25 Apr 17 at 17:59
AIUI these devices generate sound rather than em waves. Above range of human hearing but interfere with rodents' senses, perhaps particularly those that trigger it's ability to sense danger.
 Rodent deterrent - CGNorwich
An interesting scientific paper on the hearing of rats.

www.ratbehavior.org/rathearing.htm

Essentially ultra sonic rodent doesn't work because rats get habituated to the noise just like any other sound.

We humans are the same. You might not like eating in a noisy canteen at first but after a while you just don't notice the din.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 25 Apr 17 at 18:56
 Rodent deterrent - Mapmaker
They are complete rubbish. They have to be as:

1. You can buy those that deter rats and mice but don't worry the household cat.
2. You can buy those that deter rats and mice and next door's cat.

It just ain't possible.

Those glue-traps should be illegal. Indeed, their use quite probably is. They are cruel. If you want to kill your mice, then kill them; don't leave them alive and stuck to a glue patch until they die of starvation.

The only effective deterrent is a cat. Rats and mice will be reluctant to live in a place with a cat. If the cat kills them, then even better. I have a black and white cat available for hire. Best of all he never brings me presents (though I found a whiskery nose and a foot in the garden the other day (all that remained of old Ratty)). He's very cheap to run; he loves Lidl's cat food, he provides his own warm food and he sometimes turns up smelling of tuna so somebody else likes him too...
 Rodent deterrent - busbee
CGN: Very good reference thanks. I've been wanting to read something like that for a long time.
Well they may be rubbish - but perhaps the psychology works.

3 days in and the 4 traps all still had a variety of food morsels intact.
We have a one that's supposed to deter cats. Aimed specifically at the moggy that used our front flower bed as a toilet. Seems to have worked OK. It's turned on by a proximity detector and is just audible to humans.

MM may have a point about cats/mice but OTOH if they're bothered by different sound frequencies then units can be designed to emit either or both.
 Rodent deterrent The results are in! - sherlock47
After a 4 week absence

Mice 4 Ultrasonics 0

Traps 0 Mice 4

All 4 cheap traps had had food removed without triggering.

Despite the fact the ultra sound device was within 100cm of the traps.

However the mice had not ventured upstairs where the second ultrasonic device was located.

I suppose I should swap over US devices to determine if one is actually US?
 Rodent deterrent The results are in! - Pat
You can borrow my cat...the offer still stands:)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts