Non-motoring > Kitchen appliances Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 21

Kitchen appliances - legacylad
I don't wish to bore anyone with the ongoing saga of refurbing my late Aunts flat, but it's nice that by using two Freecycle sites the kitchen units, old Baby Belling, extractor and lots of old furniture are being reused by third parties.
I hate unnecessary landfill
A friend of mine can fit a new kitchen, provided the worktops font have bullnose edges ( he doesn't have the tools to mitre them in two corners)
I need a grid type gas hob, extractor, single oven and integrated slimline dishwasher....any advice as to where to purchase? There are hundreds of online sites so any recommendations would be much appreciated
 Kitchen appliances - Crankcase
Depends on how cheap you want to get.

We got our kitchen units from h******, but I skipped all their appliances and just bought from John Lewis (at the cheapest end in each case). We've been very happy with everything - at least I recognised the brand names, if that counts for anything these days - and usual JL benefits apply of course.

It wasn't actually very much different in price from h****** "Lamona" stuff and I felt happier, justified or not.

But without being awkward, given your buyer might well just take one look and rip it all out again to replace with their own anyway, you might as well get something off eBay to fill the gaps.

Edit: Wow. Why is the kitchen supplier who rhymes with Bowdens in the swear filter?

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 24 Apr 17 at 08:01
 Kitchen appliances - Zero
When you get your kitchen at the place that rhymes with Bowdens, you get appliance packs. Its not your kitchen so you get the cheapest least functional ones you can (because as Crankers says the new owner will rip them out)

I Have watched this renovation thread(s) convinced that this is an exercise in throwing money away. All this stuff gets done if you are preparing the property for rental. For sale, economically it just does not stack up on any level.
 Kitchen appliances - smokie
www.ao.com are pretty keen pricewise.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 24 Apr 17 at 08:30
 Kitchen appliances - Manatee
I found AO had big range when buying for the village hall recently. Found what I wanted, then checked to see where it was cheapest (which turned out to be AO).

How d ens, Benchmarx (Travis Perkins), Magnet etc prices depend on who is buying - they all use under the counter pricing.

please detest from getting around the swear filter using that method, or any other way come to that. That particular word is in there for good reason, and I for one don't want to give the spammers an excuse to return should they google search and find us again - thanks
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 24 Apr 17 at 10:18
 Kitchen appliances - Focal Point
"please detest from getting around the swear filter..."

Detest?

Desist?

Yes, I am a pedant, since you asked.
 Kitchen appliances - Focal Point
Another thumbs-up for AO.
I am 99% certain the kitchen will not be ripped out. The current average age of the occupants in the block of 6 flats is 79yo. Both the managing agent, and two local sales agents, inform me that because the flat is in a nice leafy residential area, with good transport links, they sell for a premium, and in their experience the new elderly owners will want to move in and have zero work to do, apart from adding a few personal touches.... bathroom mirror, lighting, blinds, curtains etc.
Younger folks, you and I, would be willing and able to cope with the disruption of a new bathroom, kitchen etc, but in my experience with elderly folks they don't like the upset. I'm not a residential sales professional, but rightly or wrongly, believe that kitchens and bathrooms sell houses. Hence I'm happy to spend a little more given my target market, which is the older element downsizing from a family home.
If the target market were different, or I was going to rent it out, that would be a whole different ball game. I would have left the kitchen in situ, two coats of cupboard paint, light sanding for a shabby chic effect, and the cheapest white bathroom going.
I appreciate where you are coming from, but I'm targeting a specific fairly affluent older sector who appreciate a slightly better quality product and will pay a small premium for that.
At the very least then, buy cheap and simple, two knobs at most on the oven, the old can't cope with more than that.

And keep the electrical and gas completion certificates, the purchasers solicitor will want to see them.
Thanks Z
Good advice. Will do.
 Kitchen appliances - VxFan
>> Edit: Wow. Why is the kitchen supplier who rhymes with Bowdens in the swear filter?

We had a lot of trouble with spammers continually trying to promote them a while ago, hence why it's in the swear filter.
 Kitchen appliances - Crankcase
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I probably should have remembered that, but I've only been here since day two, so I'm a newbie.
 Kitchen appliances - Mapmaker
www.shipitappliances.com/ - have one of their SIA own-brand gas hobs.
 Kitchen appliances - DP
Did anyone else read that link and miss out the 'ip'? ;-)
 Kitchen appliances - Stuartli
The main independent audio/visual/appliances retailer in my town promises to match prices from the big names such as ao and John Lewis.

Might be worth checking out your local stores to see what they can offer you.
 Kitchen appliances - rtj70
>> Did anyone else read that link and miss out the 'ip'? ;-)

I did. :-)
And me.
 Kitchen appliances - MD
And me too.
 Kitchen appliances - MD
I think AO were in trouble 12 months or more ago. How they're faring now I don't know.

What I do know is that I used them twice. The First time they failed to deliver citing that they had been subjected to a breakdown and were waiting to be recovered back into Exeter. Ok, fair enough.

Two years later they failed to deliver citing that they had a breakdown and were waiting to be recovered back to Exeter. I told them 'Foreign Office' and to give me my money back.

One can cope with being Shaat on once in a while, but to have it rubbed in is not acceptable.

Local retailer for me now.
 Kitchen appliances - mikeyb
Only used AO once and that was last year. No complaints - did what they said they would and product was cheap enough
 Kitchen appliances - zippy
>> I think AO were in trouble 12 months or more ago. How they're faring now
>> I don't know.
>>

Turnover to March 16 £538m. Profit after tax £12m. Tangible Net Worth £26.7m.

Their current ratio wasn't too hot at 0.95:1. Cash flow is tightening though with £44m at the end of last year and £32m in cash and cash equivalents at the end of this year.

Hardly a struggling company.

They were about 15% cheaper than other shops / on line cos for the cooker we purchased from them a few years ago and they delivered without hassle.

As with all businesses there will be good and bad experiences and I totally understand why you might not want to buy from them again, but it could have just been a run of bad luck!
 Kitchen appliances - rtj70
I purchased our oven from them just over a year ago. They were the only place showing as having the model I wanted - a model change at Neff meant the replacement design was not our preference.

Indeed I had bought another oven locally just before the Christmas but found out when it was installed there were no accurate temperature markings at all. Hence sent it back.
Latest Forum Posts