Non-motoring > Dilemma - cycle accident Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 25

Dilemma - cycle accident - Bobby
Cycling into work today, going round a roundabout, and a woman driver came onto roundabout just level with me, I went into her side, fell off bike, landed on back. Woman driver was hysterical and probably more shook up than me.

A passing nurse wouldn't let me get up as my back was sore, ambulance called and taken to hospital in the full spinal board / head clamp thingy.

Been x rayed, no damage and now back home with a load of painkillers. Back and side are still sore from where I obviously landed.

Someone also called the police who came to the scene and then the hospital where they viewed the video of it from my go-pro. They are going to charge the woman with careless driving. I really don't want them to do this, I think her shock will be enough of a wake up call for her but they said its clear as day she was driving carelessly. Of course I have no way of knowing whether she has previous for this or whatever so leave it in their hands. But we have all had moments of lapse in concentration haven't we, she was just unlucky that it wasn't solved by slamming on brakes.

Another person who came to help has got my bike and said he would drop it into me later. I have no idea who he is though he did give a statement to the police so hopefully he will appear with it!

I have no idea what state the bike is in, I am hoping it will be fine as I hit the drivers door and then came off so bike didn't do any somersaulting that I am aware of. But my helmet is damaged and I would certainly be wanting my bike fully checked over in case there is something less obvious like a warped wheel or whatever. I have various lights on my bike and doubt that they will all have survived though my wee GoPro camera did survive and captured it all.

So at the very least I will need to get a new helmet and a bike check up - I do have insurance through my house insurance and British Cycling membership but I really don't want to go down that route if I can avoid it.

Anyone know what happens now? Would the police give me her details or give her my details? They did say to me that they could see on her door where I had hit it so not sure if that is a mark, a scrape, dent or whatever. Because it was a road accident will ambulance / A&E be looking for recompense (am sure I heard of this before somewhere) through an insurance company?

I will obviously wait and see what my bike is like, if it has bad damage then undoubtedly its going to need to be some sort of claim as the bike was about £800.

Not the start of day that I was hoping for but could have been worse! If you are going to hit any vehicle you want it to be a car and for it to be the side I guess! It was an SUV type which probably also helped me - if it had been a wee sports car I may have went over the roof rather than sliding down its side!
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Manatee
Very pleased to hear you're OK Bobby.

Yet more proof that how to look, and how it is possible to look without seeing, should be taught.
I genuinely think that the case. From her angle of approach, she has slip roads joining at 1oclock and 4 oclock. She has probably scanned the former, then swept her vision to the latter and not actually registered the bike between the two.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Old Navy
Glad you only sustained bumps and bruises. Let the police do their thing, flattening cyclists needs more than a short term shock. Devious me hopes you don't see your bike again and can claim a new one from some insurance or other. I am sure an expert will be along to advise the best way to resolve any injuries that become apparent over the next few days and how to pursue compensation for damaged bike stuff. Take things easy for a few days.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Dog
>>Very pleased to hear you're OK Bobby.

Indeed, could have nasty ... or worse!! Think on how you could possibly have avoided her careless driving.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Bromptonaut
Personally I'd let the police do there stuff and not worry about consequences for perp. Let your insurers know as well in case you need to claim more for your bike and/or personal injury that becomes evident later.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - No FM2R
You say "no damage". XRays do not necessarily show all damage. If you are in pain or feel sore, then it would be worthwhile visiting your local GP just to get it down on paper. Obviously if it goes away, then you've just lost a bit of time.

But if complications did develop, then it would stand you in good stead.

Be careful about the bicycle. I am sure the guy is genuine, but you did give him the bike to look after. If it never shows up again you might find a theft claim a bit sticky. Of course you might not, and I'm sure they'll be no difficulty. But don't be volunteering too much information.

The police will pass you her details.

You should establish with her that there will be a claim for bike, clothing, helmet and potentially other expenses. I'd mention the camera as well, best to get things clear. Ask her to pass it all to her insurer and advise you of their details.

The NHS will be wanting to be paid for the call out, but that isn't your problem. As its an RTA thing it goes to the nearest car insurance.

Get estimates for your stuff, pass them to her or her insurer, keep your eye on your injuries. There is no reason to be vindictive, but neither is there any reason to lose out in any way.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Fullchat
"The police will pass you her details."

Dont be too sure. They should do so as they are only facilitating the requirements of the Road Traffic Act. However there is a chain of thought amongst some that this could be a breach of Data Protection and that the only way would be to make a written request to their Collision Records Department, which of course takes time. Insurance company requests for information are charged a fee.I was in the in the practical first group I might add :)

Bobby I believe you are north of the border?? You use the word 'charged'. In England we generally only charge those who have been in custody. We Report for Summons low level offences such as Careless Driving. First offence in England may well lead to one of the Driver Improvement Schemes (NDORS). You say that a witness has given a 'statement'. Was this a fully written job or was it a verbal account that was written on a Collision Report Form? If the latter then the OIC is probably thinking of going down the NDORS route.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Fursty Ferret
. I really don't want them to do this, I think her shock will be enough of a wake up call for her but they said its clear as day she was driving carelessly.

Believe me, you will change your mind when it comes to getting money out of her insurers for your damaged bike / time off work etc.

Let the police do their job.

I genuinely think that the case. From her angle of approach, she has slip roads joining at 1oclock and 4 oclock. She has probably scanned the former, then swept her vision to the latter and not actually registered the bike between the two.

Then it is careless driving...
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Tue 2 May 17 at 17:28
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Hard Cheese
>> Then it is careless driving...

Totally agree!

Hope all's well Bobby.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 May 17 at 02:03
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Believe me, you will change your mind when it comes to getting money out of
>> her insurers for your damaged bike / time off work etc.
>>

Absolutely.
Years ago in London a car suddenly did a U turn just as I was hurtling past in the outer lane.
I don't remember anything between thinking "Oh dear there's going to be an accident" and finding myself sitting on the pavement with a woman anxiously asking if I was all right.
I'd hit the car's front wing square on, squashing it into the wheel, and somersaulted over the car. The bike was a wreck, the car had to be towed away, and I had a gashed forehead.

The woman driver was very concerned, I insisted I was fine, she helped me into a taxi, and neither police nor ambulance were called or involved. Later her boss rang up to enquire how I was, and urged me to buy myself an expensive replacement bike and send his firm the bill.

But when I did it had been passed to their insurers, who didn't take such a generous and informal line, and questioned me about the model and value of the old bike, challenging my claim. I wrote an angry letter threatening to report the accident to the police and making a complaint of careless driving, and they suddenly closed the case and sent me the money.

It was a shame - she was a nice lady only trying to make amends for a moment's hasty action out of frustration in a grid lock, he was a sympathetic and generous employer, and the old bike wasn't worth much anyway, but everybody's kindness and goodwill was undermined by the insurance company.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - bathtub tom
I suspect the police were informed as an ambulance was involved (that's what happens down South I believe).
The driver of the car is obliged to exchange insurance details, or can otherwise be charged with 'failing to stop/report an accident'. The police should give you their details.
Let the other driver's insurance pick up all your expenses. After all, you've been severely inconvenienced, why shouldn't they?
Not on the 'phone were they?
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Zero
Any accident you walk away from (even if it is after they have kicked you out of hospital) is a good one.

I dont see a dilemma. Clearly careless driving, the Polis will do (or not) their thing regardless of your wishes, either way you need to be recompensed for your losses and any pain or suffering. Don't forget to make a note
of any painkillers and medication you take.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 2 May 17 at 18:28
 Dilemma - cycle accident - rtj70
Speedy recovery Bobby. Hopefully the aces and pains will easy quickly and not too much damage to you and the bike turns up later.

You've proved how useful a helmet is on a bike. Without it this could have been worse.

I think I'd leave the police to do their job - she hit you, there is evidence and maybe she's done this before. Out of your hands now of course.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Falkirk Bairn
Driver will surely be on to their insurer immediately if they are decent individuals.

If the car insurer contacts you for information - co-operate with them BUT do not sign any settlement apart from cost of bike, helmet, camera etc...........just let time go past & see how you are in a few weeks time - hopefully none the worse of your spill. Then & only then can you make a decision for any problems, physical or psychological, lost wages, out of pocket expenses etc.

Neighbour charged for a gardener for some 2/3 months as his damaged finers, hand & shoulder made gardening impossible.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - legacylad
Hope you make a full & speedy recovery... things were a lot worse for an acquaintance of mine knocked off his bike by a car towing a caravan.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - zippy
Late to this thread...

All the best Bobby and speedy recovery!

Agree with most of the above. Get better, take stock, make sure you are fairly recompensed.
Update - very nice man has now returned my bike and helmet, I wasn't sure what had happened to the helmet but they had taken it off when putting my neck and head brace on.

Large chunk of the polystyrene missing from the back left of the helmet which would suggest that this was the bit that hit the tarmac first. I know there are debates amongst cyclists on the pros and cons of helmets but I have always worn one even if just nipping to the local shop.

Bike doesn't look too bad, may be superficial only, brake lever turned in a bit and the handlebars out of alignment with the forks but I will put it into Evans (where I got it from ) and ask for an inspection / estimates etc. Although it has carbon forks I have heard of other cases of hairline fractures etc so not taking any chances!

Police phoned to see how I was and what the outcome of my hospital checks were and confirmed that they have visited the driver and charged her with careless driving. Apparently her husband had to come and get her from the scene as she was so shaken.

Nice man who returned my bike also has a motorcycle and was telling me he had said to the driver that I was head to toe in hi-vis, had my lights on even though it was daylight and what else was I supposed to do to be noticed!! Turns out he also knew the woman who was the nurse that had helped me and I have now exchanged messages with her via Messenger and thanked her for helping and protecting me and really calming the whole situation down.

I have also had it confirmed that the NHS will be seeking recompense from insurer for the ambulance costs as it was from an RTC. Nice man also advised me that driver had a nice big scrape down her car obviously from my bike so I guess her insurance is going to be involved anyway.

I am therefore now of the opinion that I "forget" the fact that this was me on a bike and just accept that it was an accident between two vehicles and follow what would happen in that situation ie contacting insurers etc.

Injuries wise, the pain and discomfort come and go as painkillers work / wear off but I can fully understand how there is no way that I will be able to know whether there are any longer effects for a good few weeks. I am not someone who has ever suffered back problems or discomfort so if I do then it may well be a result of this.

Appreciate the input on here as its often better to get an independent, non emotional "black and white" assessment of an incident so thanks folks!
 Dilemma - cycle accident - zippy
Make sure you are with someone when you come off the pain medicine.

I had a fall over 20 years ago (on a Saturday) when I was young and fit and awoke in hospital (before MRIs etc).

Patched up and sent home with some strong pain killers.

I felt on top of the world and even went to work on the Monday.

Huge mistake. When the painkillers wore off I was in so much pain I passed out and my colleagues bundled me in to a car and rushed me to hospital again!
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Robin O'Reliant
Glad you seem ok Bobby, it certainly shakes you up apart from any injuries you get.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - Runfer D'Hills
Get better soon Bobby. So many times it is apparent that cyclists are invisible to some.
 Dilemma - cycle accident - MD
Best wishes from Devon Bobby.
...oh and before "they" start, no, there is no provable correlation between being Scottish and a propensity to fall off bikes.

;-)
Ha ha - the car I hit was a big Nissan but I think I managed to miss the mirror.....
Sounds like the driver managed to miss looking in it !
Just a wee update on this.

Bike was in at Evans today and all the damage is superficial. Cost to put everything back to the way it was is £200. If accident had been my fault then other than some bar tape I probably would leave everything else but since the bike was immaculate beforehand then I shall be wanting this fixed.

Through my membership of British Cycling I have insurance (ironically I took this out to protect any car drivers in case I damaged their car and it was my fault). They have passed it to their Scottish lawyers who have been in contact with me.

Health wise, physically, I am much better though back is still sore in morning and if I don't move for a while like sitting at my PC. Any semi-heavy lifting is still out the equation. Elbow still very sore if I happen to bump it on something.

Mentally, I don't know where I am regarding thoughts on getting back on my bike. Just now I have no helmet and bike isn't yet ready to ride so the choice isn't there. However, up here in Scotland there has been a campaign by the Police and various cycling groups to raise awareness of safer cycling. As a result there has been a plethora of stories of cyclist injuries.

I was driving in town the other day and I found myself looking at the cyclists thinking "you are one bad decision away from being crushed" whereas a month ago I would have been that cyclist.

Hopefully this feeling will wear off and I will get back in the saddle but just now I don't feel like it. Even more annoying when my Facebook gives my constant reminders of "this day x years ago" I cycled x miles.>> Sounds like the driver managed to miss looking in it !
>>
Latest Forum Posts