Non-motoring > Fishfingers and... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 100

Fishfingers and... - Crankcase
Talking to my niece at the weekend, turned out we share the taste for baked potatoes with butter and Marmite. My mother, her grandma, must have introduced us both to this, we reckon.

However, she went on to say that for her, that's beaten into second place by "a fish finger sandwich with Marmite in it."

I know we've done weird food before, but really? Anyone tried this? Not sure I'm brave enough. Sounds hideous.
 Fishfingers and... - Runfer D'Hills
Cheese and raw onion sandwiches.

Flaked kipper and a spoonful of leftover mash stirred into tomato soup.

Pickled herrings and brown bread.

All of the above are things I can only do when "she" isn't in.

Fishfingers and... - Clk Sec
I rather like Marmite and cucumber sandwiches. I guess that Marmite and fish finger sandwiches might be quite nice - more interesting than fish fingers on their own I would think.

Fishfingers and... - Manatee
Many years ago I "invented" the lettuce and marmite sandwich when left on my own with limited provisions. Plenty of butter, a thick wad of lettuce, and a soft white bap. I made quite a few subsequently, and now I've remembered I might try them again.
Cheese and brown sauce sandwiches, or if feeling like a more Mediterranean twist, cheese and tomato sauce sandwiches. An Asian feel can be achieved by substituting the sauce with chutney.

Sunday night tea as a child was sometimes salad sandwiches - tomato, lettuce, spring onion, white bread and yer actual proper butter - made with marmite. T'were gorgeous, and now I've thought about it...

Humph's cheese and onion sandwich is just a cheese and onion sandwich isn't it? Nothing unusual about that?

I like the idea of haddock and bacon. Might well try that combo.

Oh, and thinking about it more, olives (the brine ones) and peanut butter work quite well for me.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 3 May 17 at 09:46
 Fishfingers and... - Bobby
>>I like the idea of haddock and bacon. Might well try that combo.

If you are ever near Arbroath, I thoroughly recommend visiting the Old Brewhouse Restaurant.
Here's their menu - Arbroath smokies obviously featuring heavily
www.oldbrewhousearbroath.co.uk/menu.php
but have a look at that starter

"A Brewhouse speciality, flaked Smokie & crisped Bacon cooked in a creamy sauce topped with bubbling Scottish Cheddar...but beware this dish may contain small fish bones!! Served with mixed leaves"

It is absolutely delicious, salty and creamy as hell but so tasty!!
 Fishfingers and... - Hard Cheese
"Scottish" and "Cheddar" are mutually exclusive surely ...

Though Cullin Skink, that's a fine treat ...
 Fishfingers and... - Ted
! Served with mixed leaves"

Can't be doing with leaves, mixed or not. Just a taste free way of making your meal look bigger on the plate. Give me proper lettuce everytime.

Leaves are just clat !
>>
 Fishfingers and... - sooty123
more interesting than fish fingers on their own I would
>> think.

Lashings of tomato sauce is all that is required.
>> Cheese and raw onion sandwiches.
>>
>> Flaked kipper and a spoonful of leftover mash stirred into tomato soup.
>>
>> Pickled herrings and brown bread.
>>
>> All of the above are things I can only do when "she" isn't in.

I'm not surprised, they sound awful!
 Fishfingers and... - Focal Point
What is wrong with you people (and your other halves)?

OK - Marmite is a yes/no thing, but everything else suggested in this thread sounds at least worth a try.

"Cheese and raw onion sandwiches.
Flaked kipper and a spoonful of leftover mash stirred into tomato soup.
Pickled herrings and brown bread"

all sound great to me. I might substitute raw garlic for the onion.

I remember worrying my recently-deceased aunt when I told her I'd eaten smoked haddock with bacon. Perhaps it's a generation thing. I cooked that combination* a few times afterwards and it has this huge savoury kick - lovely!

*Cover your piece of smoked haddock with a rasher or two of bacon and wrap in foil. Bake in a moderate oven for half an hour or so.
>> What is wrong with you people (and your other halves)?
>>

I don't like onions much too strong a flavour for me. Anything pickled again not my cup of tea. The OH really doesn't like any type of fish, apart from the chippie, considers it fit for cats and that's about it!
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 3 May 17 at 09:39
I've also taken a fancy recently to baked beans with a few shakes of Worcester sauce.
 Fishfingers and... - Zero
>> I've also taken a fancy recently to baked beans with a few shakes of Worcester
>> sauce.

Baked beans need to be served cold straight from the tin.
 Fishfingers and... - CGNorwich
I too would try any of those but not sure about the kipper and tomato thing. There again sardines go well with tomatoes so it might be OK.

I can honestly say that there are very few things I wouldn't try. A lot of people are far too picky and unadventurous with food. On top of that half the population claim to have allergies and food intolerances.
A lot of people are far too picky and unadventurous with food.

Although admittedly I would turn my nose up at some of the foods in this thread, some are people are very fussy when it comes to food. I eat out quite a bit with people from work and spend quite a bit of time away so you get to see some fussy eating.
I know someone that won't have *any* sauce on any food, just plain meat and veg and has never had anything spicy. Another that got ill and the last meal they had was a lasagne, so they suspected it was the cheese and hasn't had any since, that was 30 odd years ago. Another won't eat eggs because 'they look like rubber', and that's just off the top of my head.
"I eat out quite a bit with people from work and spend quite a bit of time away so you get to see some fussy eating. "

Come across any vegans? Try have ing a meal with the all meat is murder brigade. I know a couple of vegans and they are a right pain . Won't even touch dairy product. They reckon that atificial insemination of cows amounts to rape.

Amusingly apparently the vegan ranks are split over whether honey is acceptable. The couple I know believe that honey is a product of bee murder so they wont eat it.
Come across any vegans?

Only one, a few vegetarians though, they weren't too bad to be honest. One was a part time one though. A veggie for a couple of years, then vegan for a couple of months then back to veggie now back to eating meat.
Vegetarians are OK. In fact I eat quite a few meals which colud be described as vegetarian myself.

Vegans are on a sort of moral crusade.

Fishfingers and... - Roger.
>> Vegetarians are OK. In fact I eat quite a few meals which colud be described
>> as vegetarian myself.
>>
>> Vegans are on a sort of moral crusade.
>>
and vote Green, or LibDem, wear Jesus sandals, hug trees and are generally too PC to be true. :-) :-)
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 3 May 17 at 11:57
 Fishfingers and... - henry k
>> I know someone that won't have *any* sauce on any food, just plain meat and
>> veg and has never had anything spicy.
>>
I rarely have sauce on anything.
I do not like spicy things especially curries with some strange odd exception. e.g. Cheap pickled onions cos they have the minimum spice.
Some funny folks around !
> I rarely have sauce on anything.

I don't just mean things like tomato, brown, mint sauce etc. I mean meals spag bol, lasagne as well.

>> There again sardines go well with tomatoes so it might be OK.

HHmmm Yes. Tin of sardines in tomato sauce. Mash them up in a bowl, with Slat, Pepper, lemon Juice, spread it on heavily buttered toast.
 Fishfingers and... - Mapmaker
>>I can honestly say that there are very few things I wouldn't try.

Me too. But I see no reason to eat rubbish, and fishfingers fall firmly into that category. Tasteless and textureless.

Give me tripe, or andouillettes, or liver, or heart, or gulls' eggs, or oysters or pigs' trotters or dripping or intestine or sweetbreads or almost anything you like.

But fishfingers in pappy white bread? Life's too short. It's not interesting. As for slathering food in sugary tomato ketchup because it has no other flavour, well fair enough if all you can get is a cheapo bacon sandwich, it will liven it up. But not with proper food.

Pickled herrings on brown bread though, favourite.
I wouldn't condemn the humble fish finger. Nothing wrong with cod in breadcrumbs surely. Prepared as Zero described in fact rather tasty.

Next time the are out of andouillettes, gulls eggs and pigs trotters down your local give one a try.

Yup needs to be a good strong cheese

>> Flaked kipper and a spoonful of leftover mash stirred into tomato soup.

Variation/fusion of a classic dish,

>> Pickled herrings and brown bread.

Explains why you are such a sour face grumpy gitte

Don't forget the classic Dairy Lea cheese spread and Crisp sandwich,

Oh and fish finger sarnies? Oh yes delightful. Must be served with home made tartar sauce and triple cooked chips.
>>Oh and fish finger sarnies? Oh yes delightful.
Nah ! Whitebait sarnies . The Kiwi way.

Elvers were a common dish or sarnie when I used to stay with my grandmother on the edge of The Forest of Dean. The sound of a hand bell meant grab a bowl and go for a helping from the guy selling them as he went on his rounds.

Cheap then but no more

Estimates from the East Asian eel industry put the black market eel price at between $1,200 (£800) and $1,500 per kilo once it reaches Asia.
The Guardian Feb 2016
 Fishfingers and... - VxFan

Nothing wrong with that, but an old colleague of mine used to moan about the smell of the onions, so for good measure I hid a couple on a ledge under his desk ;)

Took him nearly 3 weeks to find them. He kept complaining "can anyone else smell onions?" Made me laugh a few years later when Boycie from Only Fools and Horses kept asking the very same thing when Del put some onion purée into his hair gel.
 Fishfingers and... - Harleyman
>> Nothing wrong with that, but an old colleague of mine used to moan about the
>> smell of the onions, so for good measure I hid a couple on a ledge
>> under his desk ;)
>>

A favourite trick on preserved railways, and presumably learned from the old drivers on British Railways and before, was to carefully place a large onion on top of the brick arch in a locomotive firebox if a loco was sitting in the platform for any length of time. After a few minutes the smell of cooking onions would waft across the platform, to the delight of passengers and the intense annoyance of the station master.

Less savoury was a trick I witnessed when an unpopular inspector was doing a rare driving turn. Whilst he was in the toilet, another crew distracted his fireman, and whilst nobody was looking pulled a floorboard up in the cab and hid a large bag of fish guts underneath, right next to the firebox. The culprits (yes to my shame I was one of them) later gleefully witnessed the loco working tender first with both fireman and driver keeping their heads well outside the cab.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 3 May 17 at 19:20
 Fishfingers and... - No FM2R
>>Cheese and raw onion sandwiches.

Lots of interesting suggestions, but isn't this one just cheese & onion sandwich? I mean, how else would you eat it?

Cheese goes with most stuff anyway - brown sauce, ketchup, anything pickled, especially spicy stuff.

As for Fish Finger sandwiches, love them. Used to have them for lunch at a pub just outside Watford. Never could quite decide between ketchup & tartare sauce though.

Cold baked bean sandwiches, obviously. Ditto Dairy Lea & crisps. Hard-boiled egg, salad cream & pepper with ham.

So many.....
 Fishfingers and... - MD
Quality white bread, Butter, thinly sliced but lots of rare roast beef (cold) and thinly sliced raw leek. Minimal Horseradish, salt and pepper to taste. Smashing..
 Fishfingers and... - bathtub tom
Anyone get a Marmite flavoured chocolate Easter egg?
tinyurl.com/kgj6ywy
Granary bread, butter (or Clover), fish fingers, and peas, the latter held in by a little mayonnaise and ketchup ... mmm ...
>> Granary bread, butter (or Clover), fish fingers, and peas

Peas, sir, are the spawn of Satan and have no place on a civilised plate as far as I'm concerned.

Incidentally, I saw School for Scoundrels at the weekend - in the famous tennis scene, Terry-Thomas keeps saying "oh, hard cheese" in the most delightful way.

Oh, here it is. Who says we don't do thread drift.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkfT7p6kBE0

Very good! Who's the actress? Very attractive ...
>> Very good! Who's the actress? Very attractive ...

Thora Hird's daughter, Janette Scott. Also in Day of the Triffids. Still with us.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 3 May 17 at 10:24

>> Incidentally, I saw School for Scoundrels at the weekend - in the famous tennis scene,
>> Terry-Thomas keeps saying "oh, hard cheese" in the most delightful way.

One of my very favourite films, got it on CD.

Along with "League of Gentlemen"

Classic line in there

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOY9fMpfWZ8

>> Along with "League of Gentlemen"

That one always gets confused in my head with "The Ladykillers", until it starts and I remember which is which. Dunno why, they're not exactly similar.

Incidentally, the 2004 remake of The Ladykillers also graced my screen this weekend, for about seven minutes. Sacrilege.

But I don't get on with the Coens anyway. I don't think I've raised a smile in any of their films, to be honest.

>> But I don't get on with the Coens anyway. I don't think I've raised a
>> smile in any of their films, to be honest.

I am mostly with you there. I can't abide "remakes" which they seem to favour. "Fargo" was overrated. O Brother, Where Art Thou? while having some fantastic parts was a very patchy. The deeply infuriating crap ending to the otherwise fantastic "No place for old men" nearly put me off film for life, but to be fair "Bridge of Spies" was fantastic in every way.
>> Granary bread, butter (or Clover), fish fingers, and peas, the latter held in by a
>> little mayonnaise and ketchup ... mmm ...

Clover?

No wonder we kicked you out of Surrey.
I drove through Cheddar yesterday evening. The weather was pleasant so it was an opportunity to open the sunroof, enjoy the evening sunshine and of course, the sound of the banjos...

;-)))
>> I drove through Cheddar yesterday evening. The weather was pleasant so it was an opportunity
>> to open the sunroof, enjoy the evening sunshine and of course, the sound of the
>> banjos...

Sounds gorge-ous.

>> Sounds gorge-ous.

Stop it, I canyon cope with another round of puns.
>> I drove through Cheddar yesterday evening. The weather was pleasant so it was an opportunity
>> to open the sunroof, enjoy the evening sunshine and of course, the sound of the
>> banjos...
>>
>> ;-)))
>>

OK, there is the Black Dog Saloon in the gorge and occasional western dancing at the football club though banjos ...
>> Clover?
>>

The best substitute for butter, not a healthy as some I'm sure though a very good substitute, OK for cooking too.

>> No wonder we kicked you out of Surrey. >>

Yep, it's Bertolini up there ...
>> Anyone get a Marmite flavoured chocolate Easter egg?
>> tinyurl.com/kgj6ywy

Yes, I got one and it was reedin disgusting
 Fishfingers and... - devonite
Blackcurrant jam and Lancashire cheese butty is very tasty! - strangely Lancashire is the only cheese this seems to work with - I know I've tried 'em all! ;-) (an apple slice also goes with the jam!)
 Fishfingers and... - VxFan
Slight thread drift. A glass of milk, with a small amount of coca-cola added to it. (other cokes are also available, but not tried)
Can't get fresh milk here. 8-(
>> Can't get fresh milk here. 8-(

I'm beginning to realise you didn't think this thing through, did you.
>> >> Can't get fresh milk here. 8-(
>>
>> I'm beginning to realise you didn't think this thing through, did you.

It is fair to say that there were gaps in my investigation.

>> It is fair to say that there were gaps in my investigation.

Probably caused by the earthquakes
>> Can't get fresh milk here. 8-(
>>

Good lord, what do people put on their cereals? UHT?
>> >> Can't get fresh milk here. 8-(
>> >>
>>
>> Good lord, what do people put on their cereals? UHT?

Usually, yes. UHT is one of the things you get used to abroad. Tastes ok in a Cortado for instance. Mostly tho when abroad I eat and drink like the locals. So breakfast would be fruit, cold meats, pastries, local yoghurt, and sparkling wine!!!!!!!!
I think I'd rather put water on them than UHT. I remember in norway it was mainly fish for breakfast. US hotels seem quite average for breakfast i remember, strange tasty cereals and not a clue about cooked breakfast.
US hotels seem quite average for breakfast i remember, strange
>> tasty cereals and not a clue about cooked breakfast.

unless its pancakes, Amercians have no clue about breakfast either. Their sausages and bacon are truly disgusting. They can get eggs right if you give them sufficient guidance up front,
>> US hotels seem quite average for breakfast i remember, strange
>> >> tasting cereals and not a clue about cooked breakfast.
>>
>> unless its pancakes, Amercians have no clue about breakfast either. Their sausages and bacon are
>> truly disgusting. They can get eggs right if you give them sufficient guidance up front,
>>

That's what I meant by US hotels, the bacon is foul thin fatty and cooked for so long you could snap it like a dry twig.
>> >> >> Can't get fresh milk here. 8-(
Dont they offer Rentacow ?

>> >> Good lord, what do people put on their cereals? UHT?
>>
>> Usually, yes. UHT is one of the things you get used to abroad.
>>
Or condensed milk in tea in Saudi plus fried egg in a roll with marmalade on it
 Fishfingers and... - Manatee
If I have instant coffee my preference is for evaporated milk. Not in real coffee though.
>> Slight thread drift. A glass of milk, with a small amount of coca-cola added to
>> it. (other cokes are also available, but not tried)

Have to say that sounds disgusting. How about sticking Malibu in milk, now you are talking.
Ah, now for me, it's half and half milk with cream soda that works. Also milk and Ribena, though you have to be quick or it curdles.

When small my dad used to drink a glass of milk with two raw eggs shaken hard in it to break them up, pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. I used to as well, because when you're six and Dad gives you a glass as well, you don't think about it, do you.

I suspect now it may have been, unknown to me, a minor hangover cure or something, but anyway. It's not completely unknown for me to still drink that.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 3 May 17 at 14:12
 Fishfingers and... - Duncan
The thing that irritates me more than fussy eaters are people who hold their cutlery like a pen!
>> The thing that irritates me more than fussy eaters are people who hold their cutlery
>> like a pen!

Is that why you go to Tesco, where people use their fork like a shovel?
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 3 May 17 at 15:19
 Fishfingers and... - Duncan
>> >> The thing that irritates me more than fussy eaters are people who hold their
>> cutlery
>> >> like a pen!
>>
>> Is that why you go to Tesco, where people use their fork like a shovel?

Of course!
I always eat peas with honey,
I've done it all my life
It makes the the peas tast funny
But it keeps them on the knife!
>> The thing that irritates me more than fussy eaters are people who hold their cutlery
>> like a pen!
>>

Oh yes!
Strangely, some folk who think they are good mannered do that.
Odd.
'"...people who hold their cutlery like a pen!"

Oh yes!
Strangely, some folk who think they are good mannered do that.'

And don't get me started on people who drink from a cup, mug etc. with their little finger cocked. Can't abide it.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Wed 3 May 17 at 18:50
You judge people by the way they hold their cutlery ????
 Fishfingers and... - MD
Cutlery!
>> Cutlery!
>>

Just to highlight the difference between correct English and other, more or less, English; the Americans call cutlery "silverware", even if it's not made of silver. :-)
>> You judge people by the way they hold their cutlery ????

....and by their table manners. Why not?

It enables one to feel effortlessly superior. LOL
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 3 May 17 at 23:07
Any road oop. - back to sarnies eT al.
I've mentioned before that the perfect sandwich is a slice of cheap white bread, slatherings of butter, a splurge of Marmite, topped by a wodge of cold mashed potato (loaded, in its preparation with butter and cream) and a goodly slice of extra mature cheddar cheese. Oh, and another slice of buttery bread to finish.
Bliss.
Other heart unfriendly ideas - peanut butter, Marmite and marmalade sandwiches are good, too.
Bacon-fat fried bread and marmalade
"You judge people by the way they hold their cutlery ????"

No, I don't, and I didn't say that. I said, "Can't abide it" - meaning the cocking of the little finger, not "Can't abide them."
But if they make noise when they eat, *then* I judge them.

And if they suck their fingers clean then I start planning their slow and painful, yet quiet, death.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 3 May 17 at 23:46
"No, I don't, and I didn't say that."

And I didn't reply to your post. If you care to check you will see that I was replying to Roger's post and he does indeed admit to judging people by the way they hold their cutlery.
>> "No, I don't, and I didn't say that."
>>
>>
>> And I didn't reply to your post. If you care to check you will see
>> that I was replying to Roger's post and he does indeed admit to judging people
>> by the way they hold their cutlery.
>>
............and if they open and hold doors for ladies, give up their seats on public transport and waiting rooms to ladies, walk on the road side of pavements when perambulating with ladies, doff their hats, if worn) when meeting a lady and so on.

Manners Makyth Man.
>> ............and if they open and hold doors for ladies, give up their seats on public
>> transport and waiting rooms to ladies, walk on the road side of pavements when perambulating
>> with ladies, doff their hats, if worn) when meeting a lady and so on.

If you do those things with ladies of your own generation, Roger, they will probably appreciate them. If you do so with (unknown) ladies of about 45 and below, they will think you are either odd, taking the p, or will get very grumpy with you. It can be perceived as pretty patronising towards women, these days, or so I believe.

Ladies of an age over 45 but under 80 might/might not be ok with it, so you take the risk.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 4 May 17 at 10:34
>> Ladies of an age over 45 but under 80 might/might not be ok with it,
>> so you take the risk.

Politeness has never backfired on me, ever, regardless of age.
>> ladies of about 45 and below, they will think you are either odd, taking the p, or will get very grumpy with you.

Other than one peculiar and pretty awful specimen at Essex University many years ago, I have never experienced any adverse reaction. Surprise, on occasion, but nothing more.

It is a rare person who doesn't appreciate courtesy, and an even rarer one that gives it a sideways look.
I reckon even the most hardened feminist appreciates courtesy, unless perhaps on camera.
I would say that politeness is a requirement of a civilised society. It is polite to offer your seat to someone who someone who is clearly more in need of it you than you are. It is polite not to let a door go in someone's face. However to offer your seat merely because the other person is female is rather quaint these days .

There is a difference between politeness and dated etiquette. Judging people on whether the know how to hold a knife "properly", use the right cutlery etc is frankly silly. These rules were invented by the aristocracy to keep the lower orders in their place. No need to perpetuate them.
Judging people on whether the know
>> how to hold a knife "properly", use the right cutlery etc is frankly silly.

I wouldn't say that I judge people but I do notice when they make using a knife and fork look incredibly hard work. There's quite a lot of them about.
I believe that children should be able to be comfortable eating in any environment. Whether that's standing outside a kebab van, at home in front of the TV, at some silver service dinner or any other example. They should also be comfortable in a variety of environments.

To refuse to teach that type of etiquette is a blinkered as insisting on it at all times.

So the girls are, and always have been. taught the "proper" way to do things. It gives them freedom. That doesn't mean I insist on that behaviour all the time, but I do at the appropriate times.

No. 1 Daughter was invited to a formal dinner recently in recognition of some charity work she had done. The invitation did not include me. She was a great deal more comfortable because she wasn't intimidated by an array of cutlery nor daunted by formal table manners. It was a huge success.

I had a formal dinner at the Embassy recently and my daughter came with. Again, she was confident and comfortable.

These things matter. Its simply a matter of keeping it appropriate to the environment.

Same for general acts of courtesy such as surrendering your seat. It needs to be appropriate, not ridiculous or ignorant.
 Fishfingers and... - Pat
All the women I know are considerably younger than I am yet they all, without doubt, appreciate common courtesy from a man and always remark upon it.

It's so rare these days and believing what the feminists (who are few and far between) would have you believe is a mistake.

Carry on being gentlemen, we love it.

As for the way people hold their cutlery I used to be a bit critical of that until I got arthritic hands and realised there may have been a reason for it.

I draw the line at approving of anyone licking a plate in a restaurant though.

Pat
 Fishfingers and... - bathtub tom
>>and if they open and hold doors for ladies

I've heard someone say very loudly "thank you for letting me hold that door for you" when they haven't received any sort of acknowledgement.
 Fishfingers and... - BiggerBadderDave
"The thing that irritates me more than fussy eaters are people who hold their cutlery like a pen!"

Let ’em. Who cares?

I remember maybe 40 years ago when I was a little boy, we were camping in France. We were eating outside and my old man was watching a French family having dinner. The shock on his face was a picture and all the moaning and grumbling under his breath. They were dipping bread in their coffee. Dipping bread in the coffee!!!! Shock!!!! I realised at that very moment that all cultures were different and he was a bigot.

I’ve been careful not to raise my kids like I was. If they want chip butties, they can have them. If they want to shovel peas, they can. If they want to dip their bread where the hell they want, they can. If they want to stab chips, they can. They are raise more in the Polish way, I suppose. There’s none of this "Oh, do you mind passing me the salt, please", it’s "pass me the salt". It’s not bad manners, it’s how they do it here.

I can see it in him, he can’t stand my children. They’re different, they do things differently and he hates it.

I love the Janice and Ray sketch. It just sums it up.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCYU2mJJuwA

And I lick my plate in restaurants too. I love doing that.
 Fishfingers and... - tyrednemotional
>>
>> And I lick my plate in restaurants too. I love doing that.
>>

...I'm (relatively) OK with that; It would transgress the rules of etiquette if you licked anyone else's, though....

;-)
...as long as he sticks to licking plates and nothing else.

[but I'm actually not ok with it in a restaurant].
 Fishfingers and... - BiggerBadderDave
What about picking food off plates at another table in a restaurant when they’ve paid and left?

I’ve been tempted. Very. Even in MacDs...
 Fishfingers and... - tyrednemotional
...year's ago, in Amarante, Portugal, SWMBO and I dining on a balcony at a small restaurant, ordered roast kid (and very nice it was too) which was served on a central dish, with enough to feed about a family of 6.

We persevered with eating as much as we can, but when we had obviously finished, after asking the dish and remaining contents were whisked away to the interior, and rapidly reappeared at the table on the next balcony, whereupon the local family to which it was delivered gave us a wave and thumbs up........
 Fishfingers and... - Dog
I used to like dipping me buttered toast in me cup o' tea (wiv 2 sugars) Even more so if it was hot buttered crumpets.
I used to luv the taste of the tea after said dunking too.

I wonder if BadDave has ever sampled crumpets dipped in tea ...
>>crumpets dipped in tea ...
>>

Crumpet and olive oil, that can keep you busy for a ... ...
 Fishfingers and... - Dog
>>Crumpet and olive oil, that can keep you busy for a ... ...

Is that the Mediterranean or subterranean diet I wander?

8-)
 Fishfingers and... - Ted
>> I used to like dipping me buttered toast in me cup o' tea

The walls in our 'owse were so thin that we used to dip our bread in next doors gravy !

My son, bless him....has never mastered the art of knife and fork in the 'correct' hands. He's 44. We've had his 15yr old son staying this week and notice that he's the same. It doesn't bother us though.

>>
>> The walls in our 'owse were so thin that we used to dip our bread
>> in next doors gravy !

Hmm. Max Miller, perhaps, Ted?
 Fishfingers and... - Ted

>> Hmm. Max Miller, perhaps, Ted?

Des Lawson, but he probably pinched it too, Cranks.
>>
 Fishfingers and... - R.P.
Balsamic vinegar
 Fishfingers and... - MD
>> Balsamic vinegar
>>
And the same to you Squire. 0:-)
"Balsamic vinegar"

...but only if it's "di Modena". Otherwise it's just too watery, though OK for cooking, I suppose.

Or balsamic glaze. Sweet and sour. Lovely.
Latest Forum Posts