Non-motoring > Moving House... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 19

Moving House... - R.P.
ain't easy.

Mentioned it here before - put the house on the market 12 months ago last Easter. Had a trickle of viewings over the summer.

30th of November last we were up in Manchester for a gig when we had a call to say that a second viewing had been asked for from one - a price was agreed. Been a long and rocky road of chains of ten properties rooted in Upminster being sold by Purple Bricks (!).

Then came a Gazump (younger viewers may need to look that up) finishing in a three house 4 household chain. After 5 and a but months we exchanged week last Friday and complete tomorrow. Moving 40 miles east. Not been easy, not caused any sleepless nights - but a multi layered complex rubik cube of a problem.

Tories promised to make this easier years ago, but easy it isn't ! Two out of three bikes dispersed to different locations - the third was to be ridden over tonight, but due to a last minute hiccup with the removals I'll have to leave it here with a neighbour.

BT's House moving team are absolutely useless. If I'd have to call every organization in this mix as many times as I'd have had to call them we'd be here next Christmas.

Purple Bricks are all fine and dandy to the point of an offer - after that they are difficult to deal with as regards progressing them. I feel our local Estate Agents have worked very hard to get this going.
 Moving House... - sooty123
That seems a long time, mind you at 10 houses long i suppose it would take some time. The actually selling part, 6 months that about par for your area?
 Moving House... - Clk Sec
>> Had a trickle of viewings over the summer.

From the link you posted at that time, I'm quite surprised that your property didn't sell within a week of being put on the market.

I would have been very interested if it had been in my neck of the woods.
 Moving House... - Zero

>> I would have been very interested if it had been in my neck of the
>> woods.

It wasn't. Location, Location Location.
 Moving House... - Dog
I've bought & sold nine properties o'er the years, including one in Tenerife. The longest it took to find a buyer was two years for the gaff up on Bodmin Moor. The easiest and quickest to sell was the place in the sun, geezer turned up with a pocket-full of Swiss Francs and paid the deposit in cash.

My philosophy is that I like the property I'm trying to sell, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, so if I get a sale then all-well-and-good, but if I have to stay here, well, it's not the end of the world, is it :)

The ole woman sorts out the conveyancing at work buckshee. I always use the best estate agent (charging the highest fees) The last lot I used was www.lillicrapchilcott.com/ the best in Cornwall IMO
 Moving House... - Paul Robinson
I have just sold my parents house - I used Knight Frank on the basis that I thought they made clearly the best pitch of the three agents we asked for valuations, although they were slightly more expensive. They did manage to secure an extra £5k in the final negotiations, so we probably achieved the best net proceeds by using the most expensive agent - must be a lesson in there somewhere...
 Moving House... - Harleyman

>> Tories promised to make this easier years ago, but easy it isn't ! Two out
>> of three bikes dispersed to different locations - the third was to be ridden over
>> tonight, but due to a last minute hiccup with the removals I'll have to leave
>> it here with a neighbour.
>>

I fully sympathise with the bike issue. I had four when I moved down here from Derby; luckily I was able to purchase this place before I sold my old house so I bought a LWB Sprinter van and moved myself over several weekends, one bike and some household stuff at a time; not a great problem as it was over winter when I wasn't riding much. It's one reason why I'm reluctant to move again any time soon, though I've promised myself that I'll buy a bungalow beofre I actually need to.
 Moving House... - Zero
Purple Bricks! Yes enough said.

I have a good agent, procured 22 viewings, vetted and distilled three identical offers into the shortest and easiest chain, place on offer 33 days after going on the market, they have a tame well regarded solicitor, and an in house progress chaser.

Moving House... - sherlock47
>>> I'm reluctant to move again any time soon, though I've promised myself that I'll buy a bungalow beofre I actually need to.<<<

What is the position on Stamp Duty when you buy a second property that you intend to ultimately occupy as a primary residence.

Normally a second property will subject to a surcharge?
 Moving House... - Clk Sec
www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/buying/q-a-new-3-stamp-duty-surcharges/#qeI5KgGxgTUHBtGC.97
 Moving House... - sherlock47
Starts to get complicated after an easy start!

Q. What if I need to buy another main residence before I can sell my last one?

A. If you move out of your main residence (Home A) but keep it and buy another main residence (Home B), you will have to pay the 3% Stamp Duty surcharge initially.

However, so long as you sell Home A within 36 months (increased from 18 months in the March 2016 Budget) of completing on the purchase, HMRC will make a full refund.

The refund applies, in fact, to the sale (or other disposal) of any property that has been your only or main residence at some point during the 36 months leading up to the purchase (ie, you don't have to be moving directly out of one main residence and into a new one).

Read more at www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/buying/q-a-new-3-stamp-duty-surcharges/#yPuT4aQw4dMiS1dM.99

Subsequent Q&As get more complex.
 Moving House... - R.P.
Yes. We planned for the chain to fail and to purchase our new place for cash. It is refundable if you sell within a period of time. We were prepared to take the risk of buying cash and either renting or selling the property. The rental market is pretty strong here, and we would have got between £750 and £1000 per month (University, Hospital, Military or Nuke industry). The chain survived in the end.

Zero mentions location. Locally location is good in the local context. 1.5 miles to the A55, 2.0miles to the local town - 1h.30m to Manchester airport, 20 mins to the port at Holyhead. I can fly to Caridff in 30 minutes from RAF Valley for less than the car-fuel cost. Waitrose within 20 minutes so and a rural village within easy reach of a large forestry and the most awesome beaches in Wales, with access to some of the best eateries in the region.

The new place is 40 minutes from Chester 3 miles from two good market towns with all the facilities - fast fibre to premises Internet, three eateries and a Spa in the village and rural to boot !
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 7 May 17 at 17:14
 Moving House... - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah but, it's still deep into the sheep admiration zone isn't it...
;-)
 Moving House... - legacylad
Since the first place I bought in my early twenties Ive only had 5 properties... been in my current place since year 2000 and vowed never to live anywhere more than ten years. How wrong can you be.
Location location etc.
My late Aunts flat being renovated top to bottom and although not being marketed yet, the agent I will use has had a potential buyer look round twice in the past week. Very interested... bare concrete floors, no kitchen, unfinished electrics and partial decorating.
Sales commission 0.75% + vat. Easy money for the agent if we agree a price in its current state.
 Moving House... - Zero
>> Yeah but, it's still deep into the sheep admiration zone isn't it...
>> ;-)
lleoliad, lleoliad, lleoliad
 Moving House... - R.P.
Indeed Humph. The neighbouring farmer specializes in Suffollks - we googled him and found he'd sold a ram £96,000...!
 Moving House... - Robin O'Reliant
>> Yeah but, it's still deep into the sheep admiration zone isn't it...
>> ;-)
>>
It is only people in England who have a thing about sex with sheep. In Wales it is never mentioned.
 Moving House... - Hard Cheese
>> >> Yeah but, it's still deep into the sheep admiration zone isn't it...
>> >> ;-)
>> >>
>> It is only people in England who have a thing about sex with sheep. In
>> Wales it is never mentioned.
>>

Yep, I Wales they pull the wool over their eyes ...
 Moving House... - No FM2R
Warren Gatland and Stuart Lancaster are both killed when a lightning bolt hits the Millennium Stadium.

In heaven, they are greeted by God and Lancaster is taken to his new home, a lovely English country cottage with statues of English rugby greats and angels singing Jerusalem and Swing Low, Sweet Chariot.

He was delighted until he suddenly heard some even more beautiful singing coming from the top of the hill. He listened closer and could hear Bread of Heaven and Hen Wlad fy Nhadau.

He looked up to see a great palace with statues of Barry John and Gareth Edwards and a party in the garden had Brains SA flowing freely as the crowd watched Scott Gibbs scoring his try against England in 1999. Lancaster went to the Lord and said: “I don’t want to appear ungrateful - but why does Warren get the huge mansion?”

God said: “You’ve got it wrong, that’s not Warren’s place - it’s mine.”
 Moving House... - Hard Cheese
A young racing driver was sadly killed and went to heaven, as he passed through the pearly gates St Peter grabbed his arm and told him to follow him to Silverstone, when he got there he found a 2017 Mercedes F1 car and a full pit crew awaiting him. The young lad got into the car and headed out on track, going faster and faster every lap he was loving every minute of it when another Mercedes F1 car roared past. Recognising the driver's yellow helmet and feeling slightly miffed the lad headed back to the pits and said to St Peter that he did not know that Lewis Hamilton was dead, "he's not" said St Peter, "that's God, he just thinks he's Lewis Hamilton ...
Latest Forum Posts