Non-motoring > Shower head engineering project Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 8

Shower head engineering project - legacylad
This morning the shower head snapped clean off, leaving the thread part attached internally to the end of the hose. Hey ho. I'll just replace both hose and shower head then. Unfortunately, after 17 years, the other end of the hose seems to be well & truly stuck to the main body of the shower. And I don't want to apply too much leverage with my tools in case it dislodges it from the tiles. Or worse.
Any solutions please?
 Shower head engineering project - devonite
Cut the end off the hose, then fit one of these?

www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Multi-Plus-Spray-Gun/dp/B000TAP5WY

;-)
Brilliant idea. I've got one in my garage
 Shower head engineering project - henry k
>>'ll just replace both hose and shower head then.
I have just replaced two shower hoses in the last week.
They go stiff with age:-).
One was an Aqualisa maximum flow type and the other was a " normal " bath mixer hose.

Cheap replacements often have a poor flow rate.
I searched Ebay for one that specified the internal diameter of the bore.
 Shower head engineering project - MD
>> >>'ll just replace both hose and shower head then.
>> I have just replaced two shower hoses in the last week.
>> They go stiff with age:-).

Send one IMMEDIATELY!
 Shower head engineering project - RichardW
It might be possible to unscrew the broken off bit using a large flat bladed screwdriver pushed in the end of it. I fear, more force on the other end will be required though.... anyway to counter hold it?
 Shower head engineering project - tyrednemotional
...careful and liberal application of penetrating fluid/oil (applied so it can run into the thread).

Leave for a day or two, then try again.

Doesn't always work, but I've just managed to free a very recalcitrant gate valve tap by injecting white wine vinegar (hard water area) followed by copious penetrating oil, leaving it for a day, then steadily and carefully working the spindle.

You might also try warming the hose connector up well with a hairdryer (heat gun is probably going to be too much if you want to keep the shower) before you try to detach it.

Doesn't always work, but sometimes the old ways are the best.
Job done. Thanks for all the advice... I used the RichardW method. Easy Peasy. I got a friend to hold the shower hose end which contained the broken off shower head thread. He wore my leather gauntlets just in case my largest flat headed screwdriver slipped, which I jammed into the thread and twisted with both hands.
Brute strength and ignorance triumphs again
'Borrowed' a shower head from my old Mom. A fancy job with different spray patterns. Luxury.
Unfortunately she wants it back asap
Think I'll have to invest in one of these fancy things....
Cheers again
 Shower head engineering project - RichardW
SWMBO dropped ours in the bath and the spray bit fell off. I bought a £10 jobbie out of Argos, which has 3 spray patterns, and works great. www.argos.co.uk/product/1427266
Latest Forum Posts