Non-motoring > Police. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 9

Police. - Old Navy
I just heard a Detective Superintendent talking about knife crime in London referring to the police as an enforcement agency. Has policing been contracted out to an agency?
 Police. - Mike Hannon
Perhaps he was using 'agency' in the sociological sense.
It used to be called 'keeping the Queen's peace'.
 Police. - Manatee
In an everyday if not legal sense it's OK, they aren't doing what they do on their own behalf but on behalf of society.

Odd turn of phrase though, as if he was detaching himself from the ultimate responsibility. A dig at May or the Home Office possibly, for limited resources.

It could just be a waffle word, or he might mean something he can't just come out and say.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 20 May 17 at 10:26
 Police. - Mike Hannon
Probably a waffle word. When I worked for the police I was under instructions that, when writing any press release, I must include the word 'partnership' among others at least once.
I stuck it for a year...
 Police. - Fullchat
And don't we just know it! Everytime you hear someone in the media having there moment of glory they slip in the P word and that blows it for me.
 Police. - R.P.
So why two or more agencies working together in partnership a bad thing ? Around here the Fire Service and Police share a control room complex - Domestic Violence cases that are serious enough go to multi agency groups to support victims, fire service go to asses and address crime reduction issues and install smoke detectors in vulnerable households. CABs work closely with Food Bank, NHS mental health workers patrol with beat Officers. Maybe if the cynics got out of their silo mentalities for reasons other than sniping at other "agencies" something might get done with scarce resources in this country.
 Police. - Pat
>>So why two or more agencies working together in partnership a bad thing <,

Every agency has a target to meet and has to be accountable, as an individual.

Working together and competing against each other to reach a target is what happens and has a negative effect all round.

Pat
 Police. - Zero
>> >>So why two or more agencies working together in partnership a bad thing <,
>>
>> Every agency has a target to meet and has to be accountable, as an individual.

Which is why you end up with Damiola Taylor, the Bradford sex ring, Hillsborough scandal, etc etc any number of things where individual agencies keep it parochial, for what ever reason*

The reason is usually not wanting to lose power or influence, and the ability to cover up failures better.
 Police. - Mike Hannon
I didn't say partnership is a bad thing. I was talking about the pointless use of buzzwords and management speak that simply turns off listeners and readers.
I seem to remember - although it is becoming a bit hazy now - that my job as a journalist was to use words that communicated with and interested people.
I may have said this before but my fellow hacks and I used to play 'bullshine bingo' at press conferences. The first one to count up ten pointless buzzwords in a presentation got a drink at the others' expense. I'd never be sober these days. Hang on...
 Police. - Zero
>> I didn't say partnership is a bad thing. I was talking about the pointless use
>> of buzzwords

And thats all it was, he was trying to sound "school of management" hip and trendy.
Latest Forum Posts