Non-motoring > Accountant's access to HMRC Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 11

Accountant's access to HMRC - Hard Cheese
If you allow your accountant access to your HMRC records, i.e. to submit returns etc, and then you change accountant, can the previous one still access your records if they wish? Or do you have to advise HMRC that they should no longer be able to, or do you need to change passwords etc?

Thanks!
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 22 May 17 at 14:05
Sorry, that's supposed to say " Accountant's access ... "

it does now
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 22 May 17 at 14:06
 Accountant's access to HMRC - Clk Sec
I've always assumed that once you have deleted the details of an accountant, they then have no access to your HMRC account whatsoever.

I've been known to be wrong, though...
 Accountant's access to HMRC - CGNorwich
Just fill in a new form 64-8 or do it on line. The new instructions automatically overrule the pad ones. It actually states that on the form.

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/592157/64-8.pdf
 Accountant's access to HMRC - smokie
I'm in the process of closing my company and my "online" accountant set this in motion last autumn, at which point they required no further payment and handed everything back to me. The process seemed to have stalled at Companies House so I called hem (CH) and they said that although the electronic request to close had been digitally signed, there was more to do.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I didn't know my password for the site as the accountant had been managing that for me. The accouintants are also still the registered address. So,, not really surprisingly, I needed the password to change the Registered address so I could continue the process.

The normal way to do this would have ended up with a new password going in the mail (not email) to my accountant, which would almost definitely have got "lost along the way". The HMRC adviser did suggest that I request a new, specific password by snail mail, and I'd get an email as well as a snail mail letter confirming when the new password went active.

So anyway, I called the accountant and explained, and they took the whole task on for me as well as paying the £8 ? closure cost. Result... :-)
Thanks All!

My point is that if you stop using an accountant and start using another accountant (or file your own accounts) can the old accountant still access your HMRC records on going or is their access only for the specific time period that they were working on? If the former I would assume that by logging on through the Gov Gateway I could see who has access and deny them though can't find any references.

Accountant's access to HMRC - smokie
You maybe ought to get the password changed. I imagine there is no other check on who is logging on so anyone with your password will be able to log on.
>> You maybe ought to get the password changed. I imagine there is no other check
>> on who is logging on so anyone with your password will be able to log
>> on.
>>

Though I have never given an accountant my password or any login details?
 Accountant's access to HMRC - Bromptonaut
Surely the accountant would have to use some sort of password?

TBH I think you need to speak to a human being in HMRC about this.....
 Accountant's access to HMRC - Paul Robinson
If you have given authority to an 'agent' (accountant) to act for you, file accounts and returns etc they will have done this via the agents online system. If you have left one agent, have not appointed another and don't want the original agent to still be able to see your records, then you should contact them and ask them to delete you from their online client list.
>> then you should contact them and ask them
>> to delete you from their online client list.
>>

Thanks though that rather relies on trust doesn't it.
 Accountant's access to HMRC - Paul Robinson
Are you aware of any reason why they wouldn't delete you from their list, if you have instructed them not to act for you and requested this?
Latest Forum Posts