Non-motoring > Drone v Plane Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

Drone v Plane - Bobby
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-40019778

Excuse the ignorance, but surely if a plane came into contact with one of these drones there would only be one winner?

I understand that you would prefer not to have near misses etc but surely the risk to the plane is being exaggerated?
 Drone v Plane - zippy
I raise you a bird....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhZwsYtNDE

I recommend you watch this with the sound on for an object lesson in being as cool as a cucumber!

And that drone certainly looks like it will do more damage!
 Drone v Plane - sooty123
It depends on where it's hit but as a matter of course when it comes to aircraft safety is always given plenty of consideration. You never know when it might down an aircraft, on its own its unlikely but at the end of a chain of events it might well do.
 Drone v Plane - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=851y6F79Qtk

Drones are not quite like birds, being much more lightweight and fragile, but you certainly wouldn't want to ingest a drone into your engine.
 Drone v Plane - zippy
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=851y6F79Qtk
>>
>> Drones are not quite like birds, being much more lightweight and fragile, but you certainly
>> wouldn't want to ingest a drone into your engine.
>>

This one is nearly 14lbs and has a max take off weight of 40lb.

I wouldn't want to suck one in to an engine at 300 mph+
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 23 May 17 at 23:34
 Drone v Plane - Old Navy
>> Drones are not quite like birds, being much more lightweight and fragile, but you
>> certainly wouldn't want to ingest a drone into your engine.

Not all drones are toys, hitting, or being hit by one of these could ruin your whole day. Where there is money to be made rules will be bent.

buythebestdrone.com/best-commercial-drones/
 Drone v Plane - Zero
>> >> Drones are not quite like birds, being much more lightweight and fragile, but you
>> >> certainly wouldn't want to ingest a drone into your engine.
>>
>> Not all drones are toys, hitting, or being hit by one of these could ruin
>> your whole day. Where there is money to be made rules will be bent.
>>
>> buythebestdrone.com/best-commercial-drones/

They are still flimsy, the mass is simply not concentrated enough to cause structural damage, even at 300 MPH. Into the engine is another matter. The risk is from the damage the engine can do to itself (and the airframe) if disrupted. As in the Quantas A380 uncontained main disk failure.

Unless of course you get hit by one of these drones

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Atomics_MQ-9_Reaper
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 24 May 17 at 11:15
 Drone v Plane - Bromptonaut
Loganair route from Shetland means aircraft was probably a Saab 340 - small/medium turboprop. While you'd be unlucky for a drone to cause damage it's not 100%.
 Drone v Plane - diddy1234
brought a 'drone' at the weekend. brilliant bit of kit.

the software on the phone prevents me from flying near airports (which i like) and it logs all flight data and sync's to the DJI cloud.

It's weight is 1,2Kgs (with battery) and I think it could easily ruin someones day easily is mishandled or used in stupid ways.

I hear that the software is due to update shortly and users HAVE to register with DJI otherwise the drone will not fly at all.

all big brother but useful for both the person flying and the police forces.
If someone complains about me flying near someones house, I can just show the flight history of where I actually was and at what time.

Of course this doesn't rule out people that build their own (and thus have no restrictions placed on their drone) or people that deliberately hack the software and turn the restrictions off.

Of course I have no desire to loose it or ruin anyone's day. it's taken me long enough to get one.
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Thu 25 May 17 at 13:49
 Drone v Plane - VxFan
>> the software on the phone prevents me from flying near airports (which i like)

You like flying it near airports? ;)

>> I hear that the software is due to update shortly

Be very careful accepting updates willy nilly. Not sure which model drone my colleague has, but it was reported on various drone forums that the latest update for it caused the drone he had not to return back to him (using GPS) when the batteries got low but instead scarpered off into the distance never to be seen by the owner again. In short the "come back home" feature did anything but. The manufacturer have since released another update to fix the problem.
 Drone v Plane - Bromptonaut
The other point about avoiding action is that it will be taken before the conflicting item is identified as a drone or if it is a drone it's confirmed as a small and 'harmless' one.

Avoiding action, a sudden manoeuvre with aircraft in landing configuration is alarming and uncomfortable for passengers and not risk free.
 Drone v Plane - Old Navy
Can you get third party insurance similar to model aircaft cover?
 Drone v Plane - sooty123
www.insure4drones.co.uk/?ref=ppcbi4d16

Seems there's quite a few. Heres one.
 Drone v Plane - diddy1234
that only covers drones for commercial use.
it's also not clear but it seems that it covers drone of 7kgs upwards also
most home ones are abound the 0.5 to 2.5kgs
 Drone v Plane - Old Navy
If you search for hobby drone you get loads.

For example -

www.ccc3.co.uk/drone?exref=QR123
Latest Forum Posts