Non-motoring > eBay return Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 11

eBay return - Rudedog
I think there are several current or past eBay sellers on here, if so can I ask a question.

I recently bought an item that came in a particular scent but when I received it it was the wrong one, I contacted the seller to request a refund and start the returns process.

I packed the item up and used the sellers prepaid return label via the PO (proof of posting obtained).

A few days later I received the message via eBay tracking that the item had been delivered to the seller, a day later the refund came through to my account….

Yesterday nearly 3 weeks later a parcel arrived at home, it looked familiar, when I opened it it was my return!! for some unknown reason it had found it's way back to me, the PO had circled my return address on the pre-printed label.

The only clue was a tick on stick-on label that said 'not called for'.

Any ideas??

What should I do next? Try and return it for a second time? Or just keep it?

Value of item £7.99

As far as I can tell the mater is closed with eBay.
 eBay return - Zero
Sounds like the post office couldn't deliver the package, so sent it back to the sender - i.e. you.

Probably held it at the post office and no-one came to collect.
 eBay return - smokie
Can't really help but I was sent a wrong item recently - a child's pink portable DVD player instead of a cheap grown-ups DVD player. The seller had mixed up parcels, sent the correct one quickly and said I could keep the wrong one.

Oh, and many years ago I got a "proper" keyboard for a ZX Spectrum which I'd never ordered. Rules then were you could tell the seller that they had shipped something wrong but it was their responsibility to collect it, or reasonably facilitate you to send it back. I ended up keeping that keyboard as they didn't respond to my messages. About £100 worth IIRC, quite some time ago.

In your case I would explain to ehs seller what has happened and give them the opportunity to get their goods back. Once and once only.
 eBay return - Rudedog
Yes, that's what it looks like but I don't understand why it says on my eBay messages that it's been delivered using the PO tracking system.

Just wanted to know what to do now?

I could try and get another return slip but what's to say they won't do the same thing again.
 eBay return - Rudedog
Item cost £7.99, I've already retuned it once at their cost (no idea how much that would be?), so returning it a second time must be close to them losing money on the transaction.
 eBay return - No FM2R
Still, just tell him. If he wants to put the time, money & effort in to recovery, that's up to him. But the decent thing would be to tell him.
 eBay return - rtj70
I tried to buy a most useful travel accessory for trips to Greece - a suction shower spray/head holder. It came from China and was very cheap.

The package arrived and contained an electronic timer. It took a few emails to get them to send the right item. And I'm glad I knew such things exist.

Why do so many places in Greece not think you'd want the shower spray low down or not held at all when you shower? :-)
 eBay return - henry k
>>it's been delivered using the PO tracking system.
>>
My experience in the last week of the PO International tracking system on a parcel to Maine.
Tracking was fine until it arrived at JFK then nothing for 3 days.
I assumed it might be customs holding it up.
The I got a phone call from my friend. I have just found the parcel on the doorstep.
So not signed for and not tracked.
Maybe if I said it has not arrived I could claim the £50 ?
 eBay return - mikeyb
>> So not signed for and not tracked.
>> Maybe if I said it has not arrived I could claim the £50 ?

I notice a few of the courier companies now take a photo of your door / house number as proof of delivery although I guess all it shows is that the driver was there
 eBay return - Rudedog
I'll try and recontact the seller, although the first time they didn't reply so got the refund via the eBay auto process.

Still doesn't take into account the hassle of a lengthy trip to the PO on a Saturday.
 eBay return - sherlock47
>>>the hassle of a lengthy trip to the PO on a Saturday.<<<

just tell them you have it and suggest that they can collect.

From the SAGA site

It’s a different story altogether if items are sent to you by mistake. That is, if the order wasn't meant for you, if it was sent to you twice, or if there's extra stuff on top of what you ordered.

In all these scenarios, they are not classed as unsolicited goods, they still belong to the trader and you should try to give them back.

Firms can take you to court to recover their goods, if you were to resist.

You will need to contact whoever sent the goods and ask them to collect them. This shouldn't cost you anything or inconvenience you in any way. You should also give the company a reasonable deadline to collect the items, of say, 14 days.
 eBay return - BiggerBadderDave
"I notice a few of the courier companies now take a photo of your door / house number as proof of delivery although I guess all it shows is that the driver was there"

Quickly paint the front door and say he never showed up.
Latest Forum Posts