Non-motoring > Variable TV reception Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 57

Variable TV reception - legacylad
Because my old Mums eyesight is failing I donated to her my 5+ yo 37" Samsung TV a few months ago.
A few days ago ( or so she tells me) channels other than BBC began pixelating badly. I have auto retuned thrice over two days without any improvement.
Could it be the 'Ribblesdale Triangle' effect or is it probably jiggered? Hardly worth calling out a TV engineer... if such people still exist. In all likelihood it's worth very little, but any suggestions or opinions gratefully received.
 Variable TV reception - Manatee
Sounds like a signal problem. There's probably a signal check on it that will tell you quality and strength.

Ours did a lot of that when they put a new building up at Stoke Mandeville Hospital, until I got a better aerial.

Could be transmitter problem:

www.bbc.co.uk/receptionsearch
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 23 Jun 17 at 20:00
When I retune it gives a 'signal check' onscreen automatically. The Beeb channels are indicated as 'Good', others 'Average'... which in truth is unwatchable as horribly pixelated.
She has her own aerial, and the TV reception for one of her neighbours is fine. Dunno about other neighbours.... I'll get her to ask
 Variable TV reception - No FM2R
Are you using a set top box? If so, check the cable between the box and the TV along with its connections.

When using a box the signal strength you see on the TV is indicative of the connection to the box, it doesn't take into account the quality of connection between the box and the TV
Nope.
Her small bedside TV is ok ( she says) but will see if she has the aerial feeding into a Video player or DVD
Stupidly I didn't check. Just assumed that if BBC channels were ok, and others were not, then it was an internal TV problem... I've looked at the BBC transmission website ( many thanks for the link) and Winter Hill is working fine.
I'll have a butchers early tomorrow before I jet off to 🦃

>> Stupidly I didn't check. Just assumed that if BBC channels were ok, and others were
>> not, then it was an internal TV problem...

Main BBC channels are usually higher strength/bandwidth.
That pretty well confirms it's signal.

Poor signal can (probably obviously) either be source signal itself, interference, or a poor connection at any point. Start by unplugging and reinserting RF cable (at set/box and wall plate if fitted), and any box-to-set connectors.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 23 Jun 17 at 20:17
Thanks guys. Appreciated. Just strange ( to me, anyways) that the BBC channels are A1 yet others are heavily pixelated
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 23 Jun 17 at 20:19
The BBC channels are much stronger since a wider bandwidth is used for each one.
 Variable TV reception - bathtub tom
I had this problem with an elderly MIL, she had a habit of pressing buttons at random. I used to resolve it by re-tuning the thing every couple of weeks.
 Variable TV reception - Bromptonaut
>> Thanks guys. Appreciated. Just strange ( to me, anyways) that the BBC channels are A1
>> yet others are heavily pixelated

Did your Mother have her aerial changed when digital TV came in?

Variable TV reception - Stuartli
>>Did your Mother have her aerial changed when digital TV came in? >>

Digital TV came out in 1998 with the launch of ONDigital, hence Digital Terrestial TV. The signal was then converted so it could be viewed on an analogue TV.

As Ribblesdale is very close to Winter Hill (its signals can be picked up as far as Staffordshire), there should be little or no problems providing a wideband TV aerial is in use (as was the case originally).

Today's digital TV transmissions are at a much higher level than the original output.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 24 Jun 17 at 00:51
>>Today's digital TV transmissions are at a much higher level than the original output.

Which was actually the source of many issues at switchover. Too strong. Some people changed an amplifier for an attenuator. Especially, as it happens, around Winter Hill.

Which raises a point; I wonder why *any* of the signals are showing as merely average.

How far from Winter Hill is it?
>> How far from Winter Hill is it?
>>

Are we sure it's Winter Hill?

AIUI LL lives in Yorkshire. Winter Hill is/was Granada TV and has local content for the North West. His area may well get it's service from one of the infill repeaters associated with Emley Moor giving Yorkshire regional content.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 24 Jun 17 at 08:36
>>Are we sure it's Winter Hill?>>

Assuming this is the Clitheroe area rather than the Ribblesdale near Chester, it should probably be possible to see the Winter Hill transmitter...:-)

My Panasonic TV coped with the far stronger digital signals after the changeover in 2009/2010. I can see Winter Hill from countryside near where I live on the NW coast - it's near Belmont, north of Bolton.

See:

ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Winter_Hill
>> Assuming this is the Clitheroe area rather than the Ribblesdale near Chester, it should probably
>> be possible to see the Winter Hill transmitter...:-)

I think he's further upstream in the Ribble's Yorkshire gathering grounds.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribblesdale

Hence my point about regional content.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 24 Jun 17 at 17:02
>>I think he's further upstream in the Ribble's Yorkshire gathering grounds. >>

It makes sense now (I was thinking of Ribblesdale High School which is in Clitheroe); the Winter Hill and Yorkshire transmitters will, of course, be aligned so as to have minimum interference with each other's transmissions.

We've always referred, in fact, to the area as the Ribble Valley.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sat 24 Jun 17 at 22:30
>> Today's digital TV transmissions are at a much higher level than the original output.

Round here, and I think it was the general plan, the multiplexes showing the main BBc/ITV/C4 etc content are on the same channels as the old analogue service. They therefore give good reception on the analogue era aerial for that channel group*. The newer and additional services tend to be on channels outside the original group and require additional or wideband aerial.

*www.aerialsandtv.com/aerials.html
 Variable TV reception - Hard Cheese
Had the aerial moved in the wind?

I think ours has, the Sony TV is fine though pixelation on non BBC channels on the 19" Toshiba.
 Variable TV reception - Zero
The OP has an aerial problem, and don't forget that could be or is the feeder and plugs
>> The OP has an aerial problem, and don't forget that could be or is the
>> feeder and plugs

We had an issue with our VHF radio signal form roof aerial. Turned out to be corrosion on a circuit board in the 'combiner' box where aerials connect to single downlead.
 Variable TV reception - Ambo
I haven't experienced it on Freeview, using a roof aerial I get minor pixilation, but very rarely, using Freesat via a Humax box. I don't know if this could be down be down to trees on the edge of the sight line of the disc.
Update. Gather round. My old Mums tv ( my own 37" 10yo Toshiba I gave her several months ago) began pixellating on all channels bar BBC a few weeks ago. No amount of auto tuning cured it. It was still doing it after auto tuning again this afternoon.
So I returned her original TV, a 32" 5yo Sony which we had swapped, and that works perfectly on all channels in her house. Same aerial socket, power supply ec
And. The Toshiba, which was pixelating badly in her house, works perfectly now it's back in mine!
Looks like I shall have to buy her a 37"+ TV as she really struggles with the smaller 32" set
It doesn't make any sense to a simpleton like me.....
 Variable TV reception - Old Navy
Our TVs seem to be stuck on tennis channels. :-(
 Variable TV reception - sooty123
Got an insomniac in the house?
 Variable TV reception - VxFan
>> Our TVs seem to be stuck on tennis channels. :-(

Ours did that after spilling some orange deuce on it.
 Variable TV reception - Roger.
>> Our TVs seem to be stuck on tennis channels. :-(
>>
I hate b***** tennis.(Especially the awful artificial Wimbledon hype on the BBC.)
My wife loves it, so I abandon the downstairs telly to her when its on, go upstairs, stretch out on the bed and read, or play Bookworm and Bubbleshooter,.
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 6 Jul 17 at 11:21
>>It doesn't make any sense to a simpleton like me.....

Your Mother's house has a week signal. The Toshiba cannot cope so pixelates, the Sony is better at receiving so works fine.

Your house has a stronger signal so the Toshiba has no issue.
>> Your Mother's house has a week signal. The Toshiba cannot cope so pixelates, the Sony
>> is better at receiving so works fine.

Nothing odd in one TV working better on weak signal then another.

OTOH if Tosh worked before and then went off there might be a problem. Signal couls be OK at your Mum's but something between aerial and set such as aerial type/alignment, downlead or connections are attenuating signal into set.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 5 Jul 17 at 23:25
After asking around in the pub tonight it appears that a new 4G mast has been erected on a building near the centre of Settle. This is screwing up a number of older TVs in the area...I live a mile or so outside so am not affected.
Hence the Tosh works fine in LL towers, but not in mater LL residence.
I shall investigate further
Too knackered to look for it now. Caught in today's jam on M1 J15 to 14 while picking up Mrs B from Heathrow; 7hrs in car of which 4 moving. There's loads of stuff on net about filters to 'notch out' the 4G signals.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 6 Jul 17 at 00:03
When Winter Hill went digital in early 2010, the proposed HD channels were in a different format to that originally envisaged, which is why the transmissions were held up for several months, along with new TV models which had to be redesigned tuner wise.

It could be that the TV is not able to receive and decode such digital transmissions, especially as the MUXs' individual transmission channels were not as originally envisaged.
 Variable TV reception - rtj70
But this is now 2017 and it's only recently stopped working. And the TV was working quite recently at LL's mother's house.

His more recent comment is probably relevant. LL's mum's TV probably does not use Winter Hill.

But his most recent post was before yours. He mentioned a 4G mast. I assume you read that before posting.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 6 Jul 17 at 01:04
>>But his most recent post was before yours.>>

I did, but the original mention was of a 10-year-old TV.
 Variable TV reception - Duncan
>> Too knackered to look for it now. Caught in today's jam on M1 J15 to
>> 14 while picking up Mrs B from Heathrow; 7hrs in car of which 4 moving.

"M1 J15 to 14"

Were you going in the right direction?
>> "M1 J15 to 14"
>>
>> Were you going in the right direction?

Southbound so junction numbers go down.

Incident raised a few questions. I'll find a relevant thread and add them (or start a new one) later today. Off to work now.
>> Too knackered to look for it now. Caught in today's jam on M1 J15 to
>> 14 while picking up Mrs B from Heathrow; 7hrs in car of which 4 moving.

You'll get no sympathy from me.

Couldn't you get one of the local peasantry who live down in the Council Hovels behind the sewage works to pick her up for a few shillings?

You've got a massive Civil Service index linked final salary pension, you have paid employment at the CAB. Spread it about a bit. Have you never heard of the trickle down effect?

You could have been indoors on your second G & T when the serf; puce and drenched in sweat; knocked at the door with your missus.

"Good journey?" - checks fingernails.

"Oh dear. What a nuisance". - checks fingernails again.

"Oh well, you're here now".

"Don't stand there with the door open. all the cool air is escaping".
>>You've got a massive Civil Service index linked final salary pension,

We have different understandings of massive :-P
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 6 Jul 17 at 10:26
Give poor ole Dunc a break. He is distraught over the loss of his local Spoons and Aldi.

Mind there was barely room in the Aldi car park for his huge FO Merc
>> Give poor ole Dunc a break. He is distraught over the loss of his local
>> Spoons and Aldi.

More than a grain of truth in that!
 Variable TV reception - tyrednemotional
>> After asking around in the pub tonight it appears that a new 4G mast has
>> been erected on a building near the centre of Settle. This is screwing up a
>> number of older TVs in the area...I live a mile or so outside so am
>> not affected.
>> Hence the Tosh works fine in LL towers, but not in mater LL residence.
>> I shall investigate further
>>

I've just entered a central Settle postcode into the (official) website here, and it seems to imply that there may, indeed, be scope for some issues in the area. (They have postcarded some of the local residents).

at800.tv/

Probably worthwhile following up through there as they'll possibly send a free filter (not that they are over-expensive anyway).
Thanks tyred

Seems the problem could well be the new 4G mast in her area. I live 1.5 miles from the old girl as the crow flies and the 10yo Toshiba is perfect in my house but heavily pixellated in hers, apart from BBC 1&2.

I've emailed that contact and read the link. Seems an engineer came out to someone similarly affected in the vicinity and sorted the problem.

Many thanks
On most TVs you can access the signal strength and signal quality for each channel in the setup menues, on my TVs it is a horizontal bar chart display.
 Variable TV reception - Hard Cheese
>> Had the aerial moved in the wind?
>>
>> I think ours has, the Sony TV is fine though pixelation on non BBC channels
>> on the 19" Toshiba.
>>

Our problem turned out to he a dodgy aerial cable between the TV and the wall, the BBC channels were strong enough to work with the dodgy cable though others would pixelate, manipulating the cable brougjt the pixelating cables back in. New cable required.
 Variable TV reception - Ambo
How about this, experienced on my new and old Pannies? O.K. on Freeview but on Freesat (via Humax PVR) I occasional get grey-outs - but on adverts only! I haven't kept a record so can't say if it is only on direct, or via recordings as well.

Sometimes a small clear rectangle opens somewhere on the screen. The screen can be cleared entirely by pressing practically any button on the remote. Can anyone suggest the cause please?
....it's aliens; entering your home via a door in the TV screen......

;-)
 Variable TV reception - Cliff Pope
Would a plug-in signal booster help?
I googled 'settle 4G mast tv problems' and got a link to the Water Tower house blog at Settle station. The owner experienced the same pixellation and an engineer called to resolve the problem...
>> Would a plug-in signal booster help?
>>

If you have poor quality reception all you get is boosted poor quality.

Signal strength and signal quality are different ballgames.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 7 Jul 17 at 07:40
Missed the EDIT-

TVs have an automatic gain control (AGC) which attenuates the signal coming into the TV. I am looking at my system info page at the moment. My quality is 100%, signal strength is 90% and the AGC is 83% (strong signal area).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 7 Jul 17 at 07:54
Problem resolved
After the linked supplied by tyredenemotional, I emailed at800.tv who responded within hours.
Within days 3 chaps in two liveried vans, SCCI alphatrack, called at my mothers by appointment, checked out the heavy pixelation, fitted a filter twixt aerial & TV set, and all is now well. Strange how only the 11yo TV was affected.
I was told the new mast sending out these 4G signals, were emitting n a frequency close to ITV, hence the disruption to the normal TV signal
Thanks for all responses
Result!
Thanks again. From both of us.

>> all is now well. Strange how only the 11yo TV was affected.

Not really, 11 years ago 4G didn't exist, so signal rejection/interference couldn't be tested on TVs.

4G is a reet bugler. Causes havoc on my old video/mic combo.
The Austrian GP on my Mac was a little pixelated when I'd recorded it. One of the only things I do record on the Mac to watch in the evening after the race. This weekend the British GP was looking like it would be terrible too when I check the signal quality. It would be 100% then drop down to as low as 40% and jump up. Totally unstable.

Moved the aerial in the office to an inconvenient location and got a decent signal. But thought about this thread so ordered an £8 filter on Amazon.

Filter arrived today. Aerial back to where it used to work and filter in place. Signal quality now 100%. Strength was always 100%.

This is for a EyeTV Hybrid USB tuner.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 17 Jul 17 at 22:54
 Variable TV reception - Roger.
Any chance of a link to the item? I find our Freeview TV in the bedroom will not receive some channels, which work perfectly well on our downstairs TV when viewing with Freeview. There is a long lead to the upstairs as the feed snakes down the outside of the house, into the lounge, where it's fed upstairs (internally through the wall, ) via a powered amplifier in the lounge. Don't ask me why the previous owners did it this way, as the house had a SKY dish and a connected Freeview aerial when we bought it! Our main (smart) TV has both Freeview and via a Humax PVR, Freesat connected. Both TVs are Samsung, so not cheap unknown brands.
I wonder if a filter might help our upstairs TV reception?
It was this:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CAM0E6Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I paid slightly more to get it as a Prime delivered item. But I won't know if it's fixed the problem at the weekend until I know it's been reliable for a while. Maybe the problem isn't the aerial or tuner :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 18 Jul 17 at 09:53
 Variable TV reception - sherlock47
Also be warned that some booster amplifiers can overload the input of some TVs. Adding an attenuator may solve that problem. Prove it by temporarily taking out the amplifier and connecting the extender cable to the aerial feed directly.
Latest Forum Posts