Non-motoring > Orange Order Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 9

Orange Order - Bobby
In the West of Scotland where I live, we have many Orange walks at this time of the year to celebrate something that happened 300 + years ago. The Orange Order is very strict in its Protestant roots though in West of Scotland (and Belfast I would maybe suggest) it is seen more as an anti catholic group.

In Belfast they build horrendous bonfires of wooden pallets and burn effigies of Catholic people or symbols.

The West of Scotland obviously has a historical link to Ireland through its close proximity and through the two main football teams.

I am curious as to know if the OO are as predominant in other areas of UK and do their walks attract the same amount of publicity and followers. Heres what is happening in Glasgow tomorrow

tinyurl.com/ya2436qc - www.eveningtimes.co.uk
link shorted to restore correct page width

As a follow up, in this modern day, is there a place for one religious group, with very strict membership rules (ie not all welcoming) to be allowed to cause this amount of disruption?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 30 Jun 17 at 12:49
 Orange Order - Bromptonaut
I think it's exclusive to areas with a Scots/Ulster Protestant community or links. There's Lodge and history of marching in Corby reflecting that town's Scottish links via migrant/relocated steel workers there in past.

The Order also has a presence in some districts of Liverpool.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 30 Jun 17 at 12:26
 Orange Order - sooty123
None exsistant in any part of England I've been to or lived in. As to publicity, there used to be a bit when some of their marches in NI were blocked but none now and i don't remember it ever covering the OO in scotland.

Its purely a scots/ni thing, membership, interest and coverage in eng is very minimal to none existent.
 Orange Order - Dutchie
King William 3.Orange order.

If people want to march to remember something no problem with me.It is the hatred what goes with it I don't like.There is no love lost between Catholics and Protestants in Northen Ireland.

All history which should be forgotten over the years but it isn't.
 Orange Order - Bromptonaut
>> All history which should be forgotten over the years but it isn't.

The history and resentments are too deep seated to be forgotten for, it would seem, at least another generation.

As long as the Troubles went on the conflict in Northern Ireland was portrayed as Protestant v Catholic. The reality of course is that religion is just one of many markers for different cultures. One regards itself as Irish and might prefer to be part of the Republic. The other clan regard themselves as British and profess, albeit sometimes conditionally, loyalty to the Crown and the UK.

The current hiatus in power sharing seems to be around providing a legal standing for the Irish Language v Ulster Scots and other aspects of Loyalist culture.
 Orange Order - Dog
History is a set of lies agreed upon.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
 Orange Order - Runfer D'Hills
It may, or may have existed in Edinburgh Bobby, but growing up there, I was never aware of it. My childhood and indeed lifelong best friend was brought up a Catholic, and I was allegedly a Protestant, but neither of us saw that as anything other than irrelevant happenstance in terms of our friendship.

I think it's a very much more West of Scotland and NI thing.

Sadly.

Tribalism is at the root of many problems it seems.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 2 Jul 17 at 21:13
 Orange Order - R.P.
Crap innit.
 Orange Order - Stuartli
Where I live, on the North West coast, July 12th has always seen thousands of Orange Lodge members come in from the Liverpool area over many years (along with the marching bands and members) and, overall, the day passes reasonably peacefully.

Of course there are always those who will abuse the day, but not all of them have any real connection with the marching; it's just an excuse for a day out in the resort.

The occasion certainly brings in an enormous economic benefit for the town and the majority of shop owners and public house licensees are happy as a result.
 Orange Order - Cliff Pope

>>
>> All history which should be forgotten over the years but it isn't.
>>

You can't forget history because so often it has modern-day repercussions which are very much relevant.
There is a real political divide in Northern Ireland, and that is between those who see the province as by rights part of a united Irish entity, and those who see N.I. as part of the United Kingdom.
Those two opposing views and aspirations are real, and cannot simply be forgotten. They are also unresolvable. It's like saying opposing views of membership of the EU should be forgotten.

Unfortunately in the Irish case religious labels have become mixed up in the situation.

You could similarly say that the division of the Roman Empire into East and West in 285AD should be forgotten, yet it lives on in the ethnic and religious divides in the Balkans to this day.
And we know what is the fate of people who try to forget the lessons of history.
Latest Forum Posts