Non-motoring > Dead American Style Fidge Freezer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 7

Dead American Style Fidge Freezer - zippy
It's was a hot day yesterday and the thing has croaked!

Not a happy bunny as its switching between warm and cold and won't keep a temperature.

Repair man quoted £260 to fix. Needs a new temperature sensor and computer board. Seems a bit steep.

I was going to buy a new one until I saw the price for a direct replacement (£1200) but I didn't pay anything like that 8 years ago but they now come with a five year guarantee.

Some middle end makes (Kenwood etc.) are about £500 and the repair is nearly half the value of a new one!

Man maths say get a new Kenwood.

So should I get it fixed, get a new mid end one or go for the expensive one?

Dead American Style Fidge Freezer - Bobby
Without hijacking your thread, the bulb in my big freezer has stopped working though obviously the fridge freezer itself is still working. Can't even see where the switch is that puts it on, maybe I need to hide in it to see if it goes out!

Dread the day it gives up the ghost as we brought it into the house whilst we were building an extension and there were no doors or frames in place!!

Going back to the OP,I would go for a repair. A lot less hassle than trying to get it out!
 Dead American Style Fidge Freezer - sooty123
I would fit another temp sensor diy and see how you get on.
 Dead American Style Fidge Freezer - No FM2R
>>and the repair is nearly half the value of a new one!

Or...

.....and the repair is ONLY half the value of a new [lesser] one!

Discuss with the repairman if there is any reason it might have a short life after the fix. That's about teh only reason I can think of to not have it fixed.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 8 Jul 17 at 20:04
 Dead American Style Fidge Freezer - MD
I've dabbled in this arena as we've run commercial or semi commercial fridges and freezers at home for many years. Find a decent (compliant) repair man. The Rest is just an insulated box.
Repair man turned up and attempted the repair only for the compressor to give out.

So its dead. No charge from the repair man.

Tried to order a new one from a well high street world wide PC and Indian food retailer.

What an absolute shambles.

Ordered, booked for tomorrow. Used a gift card and credit card. Site crashed but didn't refund the card.

Called help centre to get the card refunded.

Ordered over the phone for tomorrow. All processed. The order says delivery for the 21st and they took a delivery charge for tomorrow.

Phoned up to cancel the order.

Went online and tried again. Gift card still not refunded so decided to pay in full on my credit card.

Website confirms delivery for the 14th (tomorrow) but order confirmation is for the 21st again.

Currently 20 minutes on hold to tell them what idiots they are and to cancel the order.

I will visit John Lewis tomorrow.
 Dead American Style Fidge Freezer - rtj70
The John Lewis clearance sale is still on. Shame you hadn't known it was dead sooner.

I got money off my already purchased dishwasher because of the sale.
Unfortunately John Lewis couldn't confirm a delivery date.

Local company just didn't want to serve me! Waited round the freezers, found a member of staff, he promised to come over but didn't. Left after 30 minutes.

AO promised next day (actually no good for us as we were out) but could make the Sunday.

Text early in the morning (before 6) to give estimated arrival time and this was updated via phone app constantly with position in the queue and estimated arrival time, followed by a phone call from the driver about an hour before they arrived. (Even a little map with the location of the lorry.)

Very polite and efficient.

Now back to the Worldwide PC sellers. They have refunded me. But have short changed my credit card by an unrecognisable amount. More phone calls will ensue!
Latest Forum Posts