Non-motoring > Is there anything more relaxing... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 37

Is there anything more relaxing... - Bobby
... that sitting outside, clear sky, nearly midnight, beer in hand, some music on and a chiminea full of logs burning away???

Ahhhhhhh................
 Is there anything more relaxing... - R.P.
Ahhhhhh. We had a telescope out looking at the moon - listening to the local owls screeching !
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Cliff Pope
Sitting outside, early morning eating breakfast, day already warm, total silence apart from birds and sheep several fields away.

NO MUSIC
 Is there anything more relaxing... - legacylad
Swimming leisurely laps around a gulet, either pre dawn just before sunrise or midnight whilst moored in a small cove. The only sound being waves gently lapping the shore, feral goats bleating and the background noise of cicadas.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Pat
Sat outside late last night watching the huge moon rising, listening to the waterfall dropping into the pond.
The icing on the cake was seeing two hedgehogs coming on to the lawn for a drink of water not afraid of us or the cats playing madly in the shadows of the flower beds.

Pat
Sounds wonderful Pat. I returned from an all day and evening gardening job at 8pm, totally pooped. My neighbour heard me arrive home and invited me round to sit on his patio, drink two bottles of cold Pacifico then I showered and was horizontal resting by 9:30!
Another long gardening job today....
Hope it stays dry
 Is there anything more relaxing... - sooty123
I'm enjoying sitting out right now, it's very quiet just the birds and a tractor in the distance. Its fairly cool but still warm enough for shorts.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Runfer D'Hills
...than riding your bike to top of a mountain, admiring the view , taking a breather, and then throwing yourself back down it on the bike as fast as it will go !

See ya later !

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 9 Jul 17 at 09:39
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Clk Sec
>>sitting outside
>> nearly midnight
>>some music on

How do you get along with your immediate neighbours, Bobby?
;-)
>>How do you get along with your immediate neighbours, Bobby?

One side are away on holiday, other side hate me.
However nothing to do with my midnight activities and the music was very low volume, just enough for me to hear.

It may come as no surprise that a short time after posting this, I fell asleep for a wee while in front of the fire.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Duncan

>> I fell asleep for a wee, while in front of the fire.

Thanks for that information.
Last edited by: Duncan on Sun 9 Jul 17 at 16:41
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Duncan
>> ...than riding your bike to top of a mountain, admiring the view , taking a
>> breather, and then throwing yourself back down it on the bike as fast as it
>> will go !

And sometimes faster than it will go!

Tee hee.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Runfer D'Hills
>> And sometimes faster than it will go
>> Tee hee.

Aye, those can be the best runs of all !
;-)
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Pat
There was a Wren on the garage roof singing his heart out just before dusk and it made us wonder how so much beautiful noise can come from such a small body.

Pat
 Is there anything more relaxing... - henry k
>> ... that sitting outside, clear sky, nearly midnight, beer in hand, some music on and
>> a chiminea full of logs burning away???
>>
>> Ahhhhhhh................
>>
Try an urban seat.
" Neighbours " several houses away drunkenly shouting to be heard over the din from their sound system, only interrupted by the bellow of a late fully laden 747 trying to gain altitude competing with the sound of cars with no exhaust exceeding the NSL on a 40mph road.

I miss the sounds of thrushes , blackbirds singing from the rooftops, and hedge hogs snuffing by.
Fewer and fewer birds of all sorts,soon I expect none.
I have now seen three butterflies this year so they are still in existence.

Ahhhhhhhh... Some things I miss from the old days.

I cannot move house but perhaps I should dig out my recording of a dawn chorus
in Brisbane.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Manatee
A friend of mine has endured two nights this weekend of her yobbish neighbours showing off their new 'Alexa' in their back garden to a group of their drunken mates, all taking turns to shout 'amusing' requests at the machine.

We had a pleasant evening yesterday between about 7pm and 9pm sitting outside a quiet village inn with foaming bumpers and pub grub. Perfect after a sweaty afternoon of hedge trimming.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - PeterS
Was a chiminea really necessary? It's been pretty warm here even at night!! But, agree with the sentiment :)
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Bromptonaut
>> Was a chiminea really necessary? It's been pretty warm here even at night!! But, agree
>> with the sentiment :)

Bobby is in the frozen north. Not sure they've had same heatwave enjoyed in England.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - tyrednemotional
>> Was a chiminea really necessary?
>>

....somebody has to keep Auld Reekie reekie.........
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Ted

Spent yesterday in the Sun doing some more work on the rotting sill that I've replaced under the patio windows. I should have been at a local car show with the Jowett but a missing clip off the gear linkage has kept me off the road. I'll fashion something to do the job next week.

Had a nice evening meal then sat out on the patio among all the tubs of flowers with a couple of Welsh beers listening to the scream of sirens up and down the main roads in the village followed later by the scream of tyres at the local wealthy lads got their Mummy and Daddy financed Audis and Mercs out to do speed trials and donuts on the same roads. Next doors kids were noisy earlier on and kicked the ball over once but knocked on for it this time. I usually throw them back when I find them ( the balls, not the kids ). I don't mind hearing them having a good time.

No work today, the sill can wait and I might just take the fitting off the car to work on next week. I'll ring club spares tomoz to see if they have a clip but I need a timing chain and some gaskets anyway from them. Might do a little gentle weeding later and I have a small fresh baguette for lunch...so that's next. Funeral in Huddersfield tomoz...my old ops director Bryan, vascular dementia. A year younger than me.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Old Navy
>> ....somebody has to keep Auld Reekie reekie.........
>>

You need a map, or local knowledge. :-)
 Is there anything more relaxing... - tyrednemotional
>> >> ....somebody has to keep Auld Reekie reekie.........
>> >>
>>
>> You need a map, or local knowledge. :-)
>>

...you need a weather forecast, a map, and local knowledge.....

He's in Lanarkshire, the prevailing wind is reported as WSW, where's the smoke heading for?

;-)
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Old Navy
>> ...you need a weather forecast, a map, and local knowledge.....
>>
>> He's in Lanarkshire, the prevailing wind is reported as WSW, where's the smoke heading for?
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Me? A bonfire in a box is unlikely to bother me from 40 odd miles away. :-)
Chiminea always necessary Peter to have the therapeutic vision and sound of the logs burning away! Outside temperature determines how close you sit to it!!

Wasnt particularly hot here last night, mind I am in Lanarkshire, so probably around 12-15 degrees. Was still in my shorts and t shirt mind you!
And since 12 noon it has been chucking down with rain! The artificial grass is getting a good watering!!
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Zero

Lying in bed with the curtains open trying to get some some sleep, despite the git next door playing his music too loudly, burping and farting with his ruddy fumes from his stupid bonfire wafting in the house,
 Is there anything more relaxing... - Ted

Popped up to the Post Office to but a tram season ticket for the Grandson for next week. Came home and found it was bus only. Went back, Sabera was a bit vague on the tram version so revoked it and gave me the money back, suggesting I rang T4GM about it. Wow, they were open...got a very nice lady who suggested I go to the platform machine and did it there....which I did.

The machine didn't quite match what she said would appear on screen so I rang her on the platform help button and got the same girl. I needed the 'child' option and it didn't show. After half a dozen re-entering of details 'child' came up and I was able to put in the numbers off his IGO card to prove he qualified. Putting the 8 numbers in was a toil as the keypad seemed to have it's own ideas but I made it at the 5th attempt. It told me how much it wanted...£7.00 for a week's unlimited travel and promptly shut down again ( timed out) while I was getting the coins out of me trouser pocket...bums ! Managed in the end and it spat a nice yellow ticket at me. Next time I'll buy a 28day ticket but hols are coming up soon so no point atm.

Why can't they program in an option....' Normal people or Old duffers ' so you can choose the 'timed out' period ?

Bah !
 Is there anything more relaxing... - zippy
Had to get some provisions in today as the fridge / freezer is dead.

One shop only had self service tills. Wouldn't accept the weight of a bottle of pop because it had some promotional guff on it and a supervisor came over and fixed it. Went away then had to come back again when a bottle of champagne was scanned as the machine wanted to know how old I was.

One shop had both automatic and staffed tills. The lady said "Good afternoon, did I find every thing I wanted, did I need any help packing (I'm not that old), how are you?" etc, talked about the weather all whilst scanning merrily away.

I know I hate automatic tills and in a well run shop with tills and polite staff the experience can be reasonably pleasant.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - rtj70
>> a bottle of champagne

How did you cool that with a broken fridge/freezer? Or do you have more than one like we do? :-)

Did you get some strawberries and cream to go with it?
 Is there anything more relaxing... - zippy
>> >> a bottle of champagne
>>
>> How did you cool that with a broken fridge/freezer? Or do you have more than
>> one like we do? :-)
>>
>> Did you get some strawberries and cream to go with it?
>>

Ah, if only! Its for a small gathering of friends and family next week to celebrate eldest's graduation. Need to get another 5 or so over the next few days but it was the only one left on the shelves!

Some supermarkets will offer a discount for 6 bottles or more. Includes champagne I would have thought.

Think I read the other day that Co-Op had some highly rated champagne that was as good as some many times more expensive elsewhere.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/06/co-op-champagne-worth-1699-wins-award-alongside-dom-perignonand/
 Is there anything more relaxing... - CGNorwich
Think I read the other day that Co-Op had some highly rated champagne that was
>> as good as some many times more expensive elsewhere.
>

Good to know but I think I will keep to the Louis Roederer Cristal Brut 2009, :-)

>> had some highly rated champagne that was
>> as good as some many times more expensive elsewhere.
>>

Usually when offered champagne I'll have just one glass and continue with a decent red, if available.

A couple of weeks ago the champagne on offer was Mumm Cordon Rough Brut NV, which has to be the nicest I've had for a very long time.

Someone else likes it, too, according to this enthusiastic review:

tinyurl.com/ybdxavjj
If you lived near me I'd lend you two ice buckets too. Although I suppose any bucket with water and some ice in it will do the trick.
 Is there anything more relaxing... - No FM2R
>>did I need any help packing (I'm not that old)

Pretty much all supermarkets in Chile have someone packing/bagging your shopping. Love it. Really miss it in the UK.

Mind you, almost all petrol stations are staffed so one just sits in the car and states your requirements.

In both cases, 20p or 30p is a reasonable tip. 50p if they clean the windscreen and check the oil.

Long may it continue.
Quite so
Raley's in Placerville CA have some very obliging bag fillers
Non of this Aldi nonsense
Latest Forum Posts