Non-motoring > It's that time of the year again.......... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 13

It's that time of the year again.......... - Falkirk Bairn
Home Insurance, car insurance, breakdown cover.................

Home Insurance came in 25% uplift. On the renewal they now have to tell you last year's premium. Never claimed in 15 years!

Phone them up & they said "it reflects our claims in your area" BS !!!

Did a comaprison check & my current insurer would beat last year's premium & throw in Legal & Home emergency foc.

New customer pays 20% less + freebies.

I went elsewhere for roughly the same as last year.
Fired off a complaint letter but not anticipating a reply.

My car cover is renews in 4 weeks with the same company - so it looks like I will be changing car insurer for the 1st time in 16 years!

Breakdown cover is in 2 weeks - changed about every 1/2 years as someone always has a "special offer"
 It's that time of the year again.......... - No FM2R
I don't really understand why people get so emotional over insurance.

You need to buy it annually, and obviously it makes sense to check the market annually and buy the coverage/premium combination that works for you.

Its hardly difficult work. Why the upset?
 It's that time of the year again.......... - VxFan
>> Why the upset?

Because of all the haggling required to get the best deal.
 It's that time of the year again.......... - Duncan

>>
>> Because of all the haggling required to get the best deal.

Why do you feel the need to haggle? How does this haggling manifest itself?

Twice a year (two cars) I have a rummage among the price comparison websites. Choose a provider that does a good price combined with a good reputation - I normally let Which? or similar guide me in that respect - do the deal. Job done.

It's only a pain if you allow it to be a pain.
 It's that time of the year again.......... - commerdriver
I have an old fashioned thought at the back of my mind that the company that I am with ought to be able to offer the best deal because they know me best. They know I have been claim free for the last year and have lost them nothing in calls etc.

They used to make the comparison in most business types that new customers cost two or three times as much to get as existing customers and in my 20th century mind that should still apply.

Instead we have the "offer cheap prices to get new business and meanwhile lets milk those who don't like change for a bit more" business method that now applies to any annualised consumer business.

Not one of the better forms of progress, in my view
 It's that time of the year again.......... - madf
The "offer a better deal" for new customers and screw the old ones.. is great if you switch.

I moved to TalkTalk phone+ broadband when they were desperate 18 months ago. Renewal price is still better than opposition. No reason to change.. Full marks to them.

It's that time of the year again.......... - Clk Sec
Shudder, shudder...
 It's that time of the year again.......... - Ambo
I leave it to a broker for house and contents deals. He does seem to look for the best deal and got me a 15% cheaper quotation last year than the previous year, although I imagine there is some hidden bonus for him.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a ballpark range of likely valuations for contents as a percentage of house insurance? Mine is 7.5% new-for-old, which I fear may be too low. I always thought there were valuers who could give reliable "walk-through" figures (i.e. as opposed to costly total-inventory valuations) but can't find one hereabouts.
 It's that time of the year again.......... - Mapmaker
>> Mine is 7.5% new-for-old, which I fear may be too low.

What is 7.5% of what?
 It's that time of the year again.......... - Ambo
>>What is 7.5% of what?

7.5% of the premium for buildings cover.
 It's that time of the year again.......... - Manatee

>> I moved to TalkTalk phone+ broadband when they were desperate 18 months ago. Renewal price
>> is still better than opposition. No reason to change.. Full marks to them.

You on fibre? I switched to TT's lower tier fibre about a year ago, which was <38Mbps down and capped at 2Mbps up.

At some point this must have changed, because I am now getting 9Mbps up. Given I am paying £27 for the broadband inc "line rental" plus £5 for all UK landline calls and I have not yet had cause to report any problems with it, I am happy.
 It's that time of the year again.......... - nice but dim
Manatee - I'm with TT on the £27 deal, re upload speed I didn't think anything of it until I've read your comment.

A YouTube video I uploaded yesterday 250MB or so, was unusually quick. Usually I can make a cuppa while other similar sized videos are uploading including the boil. Less than two minutes it took in this case.

Will do a speed test tonight.

Additionally, I had a router firmware issue last year that frequently disconnected VPN connections but that was sorted through the community on their forums.

Sadly they pushed up my mobile plan costs recently, not by much. I can leave for free by giving notice but not worth looking elsewhere for £1.25 per month.
 It's that time of the year again.......... - Old Navy
Broadband price adverts have changed, line rental has to be included.

www.asa.org.uk/news/changes-to-broadband-price-claims-in-ads-comes-into-force-today.html
 It's that time of the year again.......... - madf
>> You on fibre? I switched to TT's lower tier fibre about a year ago, which
>> was <38Mbps down and capped at 2Mbps up.

7.48/0.82Mbps so no I guess. Don't need more..
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Jul 17 at 10:09
Latest Forum Posts