Non-motoring > Resetting a briefcase combination Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 13

Resetting a briefcase combination - Cliff Pope
I inherited a very expensive-looking briefcase from my father, and have only just discovered it still in mint condition. It is still set on its combination of 000-000.

Reading articles on the internet it seems I need to locate a small reset button on the back of the lock inside the case. But the locks are entirely covered by stitched leatherwork, although I can make out the rough outline by feel.

Does that mean I need to cut open the leather, or undo the stitching, to access the button? I'm loathe to damage it deliberately - surely that can't be the intended method?
Do any of you worldly-wise gents know the trick?
 Resetting a briefcase combination - Fursty Ferret
Set to 000.
Slide / push button and hold in place.
Set new combination.

^^ would be my first guess. Don't own a briefcase.
 Resetting a briefcase combination - tyrednemotional
>> Don't own a briefcase........
>>

......but being in the airline industry, I have quite a lot of experience with cases and locks.....

;-) (sorry)
 Resetting a briefcase combination - Mapmaker
Do you actually need to lock it....?!
 Resetting a briefcase combination - commerdriver
The one my late father in law left had a small hole in the front of the locks through which a pin could be pushed when the lock was in the unlocked position to reset it.

That was after we had worked out the combination to open it which took the best part of an afternoon. It was set at 314 on the left and 159 on the right. He used to be a maths teacher.
 Resetting a briefcase combination - sherlock47
It was set at 314 on the left and 159 on the right. He used to be a maths teacher.

271 828

or

572 958

would have been a little more obscure?
 Resetting a briefcase combination - VxFan
>> It was set at 314 on the left and 159 on the right. He used to be a maths teacher.

Did he keep his pies in it?
 Resetting a briefcase combination - sooty123
A little help for those of us that are rubbish at maths?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 11 Jul 17 at 10:36
 Resetting a briefcase combination - Duncan
>> A little help for those of us that are rubbish at maths?
>>

The first one is Pi i.e. 3.14159.

The others, I don't know.
 Resetting a briefcase combination - Bromptonaut
If you know the make and model you'll probably find instructions on line somewhere.
No hole at the front, plain leather covering the entire lock at the back.

Of course I don't need to lock it, it's far too nice to carry sandwiches in, in fact I don't need it at all. It's just I don't like not to know how.

I'm not a young executive, my cuffs are not clean, I've never had a Cortina, not even the firm's one, and I don't need a slimline briefcase.

Resetting a briefcase combination - Haywain
"No hole at the front, plain leather covering the entire lock at the back."

I've just had a look at my old brief case - a relic of my time as a high-powered executive - and the locks fit your description. In order to open the combination locks, the buttons have to be pushed outwards but, to reset the combination, they have to be pushed inwards i.e. towards one another while the new combination is selected.
Ah, clever. I assumed there must be some other method to the pin in the hole, but couldn't work it out.
Many thanks.
 Resetting a briefcase combination - Haywain
"Many thanks."

Delighted to be of assistance!
Latest Forum Posts