Non-motoring > Strange Beliefs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 24

Strange Beliefs - zippy
I was visiting a business last week and I have putting off writing the report up.

The owner wants a significant investment from us. The business is average and just meets criteria.

Except....

Over lunch the owner started talking about religion and admitted that they absolutely believed the world is about 6,000 years old!

We have a policy of allowing all faiths and religions at work and must not discriminate!

Its a mad, mad, mad world!
 Strange Beliefs - sherlock47
Whilst you cannot discriminate on religious grounds, you can surely make judgments on the realism and intellectual ability demonstrated by the principal managers of the business?

Suppose he had confided that his religion had indicated that the world would end next year for nonbelievers and his customer base were nonbelievers. Would you still invest, even if he showed a rock solid business case?

I take it that he is a YEC. Sounds like a nightmare decision!

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sun 16 Jul 17 at 12:58
 Strange Beliefs - Bromptonaut
Wikipedia reports a Gallup survey this year which found that 38% of adults in the United States inclined to the view that "God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years".

The percentage inclined to that view was lower than in previous years.....
 Strange Beliefs - Robin O'Reliant
>> Whilst you cannot discriminate on religious grounds, you can surely make judgments on the realism and intellectual ability demonstrated by the principal managers of the business?
>>
>>

You would exclude members all religious faiths from investment in that case, bearing in mind they universally believe the world was created by magic.
 Strange Beliefs - CGNorwich
And exactly how did the universe come into existence? Please explain in simple terms that do not sound magical :-)

Strange Beliefs - Zero
>> And exactly how did the universe come into existence?

It didn't, its always been there, and will always be there. We have evolved into it, we will evolve out of it, Like a football crowd in a stadium.
I think the steady state hypothesis had been superseded by the Big Bang theory (cue for BBD).

The mice are in control anyway.
 Strange Beliefs - No FM2R
Since for investment purposes an ideal business plan is 27 years then as long as they are not planning an apocalyptic occurrence in that timescale, who cares?

The smartest businessman I know is a druid nutjob. It doesn't matter so I don't care.
 Strange Beliefs - Zero
>> I think the steady state hypothesis had been superseded by the Big Bang theory

Sorry I refuse to accept any theories by an internet connected wikipedia on wheels controlled by who knows who.
"Let’s do a rough calculation to show how this works. The age of the earth can be estimated by taking the first five days of creation (from earth’s creation to Adam), then following the genealogies from Adam to Abraham in Genesis 5 and 11, then adding in the time from Abraham to today.

Adam was created on day 6, so there were five days before him. If we add up the dates from Adam to Abraham, we get about 2,000 years, using the Masoretic Hebrew text of Genesis 5 and 11.3 Whether Christian or secular, most scholars would agree that Abraham lived about 2,000 B.C. (4,000 years ago)."

Seems logical to me . Can't fault it. :-)
 Strange Beliefs - Duncan
>> Over lunch the owner started talking about religion and admitted that they absolutely believed >> the world is about 6,000 years old!
>>
>> We have a policy of allowing all faiths and religions at work and must not
>> discriminate!
>>
>> Its a mad, mad, mad world!
>>

Perhaps he thinks your views are strange, or mad?
 Strange Beliefs - zippy
>> Perhaps he thinks your views are strange, or mad?
>>

The phrase he used was "Accepted doctrine".

Anyway, I will have to decline as right in the depths of the file, is a note that the company has refused to take out insurance except as required by law and we require them to insure all assets to market / replacement value as well as key man insurance.

"Deity will provide" I expect, or "Deity's will".

Last edited by: zippy on Sun 16 Jul 17 at 17:48
 Strange Beliefs - Manatee
Insurance (objection to) can be a religious thing. I have been told it is considered to be gambling.

Personally, I think not having insurance is gambling, but that's where you end up with "doctrine".
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 16 Jul 17 at 18:06
 Strange Beliefs - MD
I'm going to be building a nice brickwork chimney tomorrow. The weather will be fine. The views splendid. Me old mate (67) on the mortar. Insurance in place. Decent earner. WTF are you all on about?
 Strange Beliefs - Manatee
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takaful

Insurance that isn't insurance.
 Strange Beliefs - zippy
>>I'm going to be building a nice brickwork chimney tomorrow.

Have a listen to this hazard report from the very funny Gerard Hoffnung (who died far too young).

The Bricklayer's Lament - by Gerard Hoffnung

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZUJLO6lMhI
 Strange Beliefs - Focal Point
Hoffnung was a genius of a particular kind. The Bricklayer's sketch had me in stitches while at school; at the time I didn't realise Hoffnung must have been half-cut when the recording was made - which probably adds to the humour; however, the delivery and timing are spot-on. He also sounds much older than the 33 years he was when he addressed the Oxford Union, the occasion of the recording.

The Tyrolean landladies' sketch is pretty good too.

(The Bricklayer's sketch, reworked by Hoffnung to maximise its effect, was not original.)

He died of a stroke aged 34 - what a tragedy!

Last edited by: Focal Point on Sun 16 Jul 17 at 23:35
 Strange Beliefs - MD
Very funny and a superb delivery. The version I know which I find extremely funny is delivered as a song (Pat Cooksey) I believe. Who followed who I know not.
 Strange Beliefs - Bobby
Or The Corries version of The Bricklayers Song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZwGk5xmlq0
 Strange Beliefs - car4play
>>Over lunch the owner started talking about religion and admitted that they absolutely believed the world is about 6,000 years old!

The thing is that once one accepts a God who can do miracles then this is not a logical problem.

The fact that it looks like it's millions of years old is neither here nor there. After all when Jesus fed the 5000 were the fish that he 'created' young or old? If you were to pick one up would it look like a fish that had an age on a par with the other ones? Well naturally of course.

See what I mean?
 Strange Beliefs - Zero

>> See what I mean?

And of course, God hadn't invented "best by" dates then.
I think you will find he allocated you with a best before date of three score years and ten and an expiry date of four score years.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 17 Jul 17 at 16:54
 Strange Beliefs - legacylad
Talking of Big Bang Theory, I think Penny is kinda cute
Admittedly sexist
 Strange Beliefs - zippy
It if that is true of the Earth, why go to the bother of placing dinosaurs bones and other other fossils? Surely not to make it more realistically old?
 Strange Beliefs - madf
>> It if that is true of the Earth, why go to the bother of
>> placing dinosaurs bones and other other fossils? Surely not to make it more realistically old?
>>

God did that to give employment to archeaologists who - if there were no fossils - would have to do something useful for a living:-)
Latest Forum Posts