Non-motoring > House Move Issue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 10

House Move Issue - Bromptonaut
The Lad and his G/F have sorted out a rented home of their own. It has both gas and electricity but they're getting ambiguous responses as to which company supplies what.

He's used, at my suggestion, CA's comparison site www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-a-better-energy-deal/compare-gas-and-electricity-prices/ and contacted the cheapest but a switch will take time.

If they just put on on the lights and fire up the boiler tomorrow who do they expect to pay?

When I was in their position in 1980 the answer was North Thames Gas and London Electricity.
Now there is a multitude of suppliers how does it work?.

House Move Issue - Zero
read the meters when you move in, use the services, wait for the first bills to arrive, then do your due diligence against your now known suppliers and rates.

You can do it before knowing the meter serial numbers and postcode, but its a bit messy and can lead to ambiguous bills.

Last edited by: Zero on Tue 18 Jul 17 at 23:21
 House Move Issue - R.P.
I was with EDF on moving out - the occupier here was with Scottish Power. EDF handled the move well Scottish Power didn't. I ended up having to sign up to SP for a month whilst they sorted out the mess. Cash account on the most expensive tariff. Back with EDF now at last.
 House Move Issue - tyrednemotional
>> read the meters when you move in.........

...In addition, take a photo of the meter and readings on 'phone and retain for future evidence.

When I last changed supplier, I ended up being double-billed due to a disagreement between the companies on the closing/opening (i.e. handover) reading.

It went on for some while, despite dated, photo evidence, until I finally got a refund from the new supplier (whereas it should have been from the old one).

As I'd moved to a cheaper tariff, it was, in fact, slightly less than it might have been, but the difference wasn't enough to overcome my inertia. ;-)
 House Move Issue - sooty123
When they first move in the agent will read the meters and they'll sign to agree that its accurate on day one. It should say who they company is but it doesn't matter. They'll send the bill soon enough.
 House Move Issue - Hard Cheese
Rented home, the landlord or agent should know?
 House Move Issue - hjd
You need the meter MPAN numbers.
www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/connections-and-moving-home/who-my-gas-or-electricity-supplier
 House Move Issue - Fursty Ferret
Just read the meters and give that to whichever supplier they want to use, and then let them do the hard work.

The lights and gas will work, and the worse that happens is that they'll pay for a couple of months at the standard rate of the existing supplier.

Edit: Don't use Scottish Power. [comic book guy] Worst customer service, EVER [/comic book guy].
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Wed 19 Jul 17 at 08:18
 House Move Issue - Old Navy
Scottish Power is only a front for a Spanish company. There has been political muttering about a £800 million "loan" to the parent company by SP.
 House Move Issue - R.P.
They are. When they worked for CAB I was on first name terms with some of the call-takers. They were pretty dreadful when I dealt with them as a punter as well. The CAB magic wand took some waving at them. Their local Manager told me to go to the ombudsman on several issues and was happy to issue a 'deadlock' letter to facilitate that. They were b***** awful.
 House Move Issue - Roger.
My utilities are with SSE on a fixed 'til September this year tariff, but I'm half expecting hiccups at the end of that, as I tend to switch at the end of each fix for the best deal.
I thought of trying their hugely price-attractive broadband deal until I read pages of complaints on user forums.
Latest Forum Posts