Non-motoring > Was Barcelona Lucky? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 11

Was Barcelona Lucky? - zippy
Considering that the lunatics were planning to set off a bomb in either Las Ramblas or the Sagrada Família the van attack probably resulted in far fewer casualties.

The Spanish police seemed to have missed a trick by not connecting the explosion at a house to terrorists.

The Muslim community there got off luckily too. Spain is a very Catholic country and if the Sagrada Família had been destroyed then there could have been a serious backlash against those of Islamic faith there.

God forbid these lunatics don't get hold of anything more dangerous as they wouldn't hesitate to use chemical, biological or nuclear weapons without delay or thought as to consequence.
 Was Barcelona Lucky? - Zero

>> The Muslim community there got off luckily too. Spain is a very Catholic country and
>> if the Sagrada Família had been destroyed then there could have been a serious backlash
>> against those of Islamic faith there.

Unlikely, Catholic it might be, they still cherish their moorish, and therefore islamic, heritage.
 Was Barcelona Lucky? - No FM2R
>> there could have been a serious backlash against those of Islamic faith there.

That being exactly what the idiots want to happen, of course.
 Was Barcelona Lucky? - Focal Point
"... Catholic it might be, they still cherish their moorish, and therefore islamic, heritage."

Really? The Spaniards I have spoken to (admittedly not many) about the role and influence of the Moors seemed embarrassed about it and wanted to deny that anything of significance had happened.
 Was Barcelona Lucky? - movilogo
I was in Poland recently for holiday. The thing surprised me that I didn't see any single muslim there. I meant no obvious muslims with long beard and head scraf/burqa etc.

Poland also has no history of Islamic terrorism.

May be it tells something - in spite of what politically correct media want to make us believe.

Poland seems to be a marvelous country though. Not sure why so many Poles are in UK. The locals did say Poland changed tremendously in last 10 years so - before that it was a poor communist country.

Was Barcelona Lucky? - Focal Point
As the spouse of a Pole I may be able to offer a few thoughts.

Poland has very, very few immigrants - from anywhere. It sees what's happening elsewhere in the EU with immigration and terrorism and doesn't like it. It has refused to accept the quota of immigrants the EU tried to impose.

That may be all well and good, but the Polish government is lurching to the right, with attempts to legislate for central control of the judiciary. Some "reforms", like attempts to tighten up on abortion, are fuelled by the church, whose influence in certain spheres is in the ascendant.

And there is a marked difference between the views of the western part of the country, which are moderate and fairly liberal, and the rest.

Before communism collapsed, at least everyone had a job, access to education and to health-care. Since then, the gaps between the well-off and the poor have widened. The benefits system, for example, is minimal. My brother-in-law, for example, a telecoms engineer, had to give up his poorly-paid work because of ill-health and will receive little until he reaches retirement age, and not much then. If he and my wife's sister did not own the poky little flat they live in (passed to him by his parents), and if she didn't work, they would be in serious trouble. As it is, my wife sends them money every month.

I agree that Poland, at least on the surface, seems a great country to visit. I have always found it civilised and pleasant. It has benefited greatly from EU funding for improved infrastructure and there is a sense that things are on the upturn, but I wonder whether this is all skin-deep.
 Was Barcelona Lucky? - Roger.

>> Unlikely, Catholic it might be, they still cherish their moorish, and therefore islamic, heritage.
>>

During our time in Spain we noticed a strong contempt for "Los Moros".
That was a bit odd in some ways, but not in others, given the history of Andalusia.
Not from the expats., but from the local indigenous Spanish, with whom we had quite a bit of interaction as our daughter had a very nice Spanish fiancée. (Later kicked into touch for a thoroughly horrid English one, back in the UK, but that's another story)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 21 Aug 17 at 12:53
 Was Barcelona Lucky? - Mapmaker
>>ry of Andalusia.... the local indigenous Spanish,

Are very dark skinned indeed. The Moors may have been kicked out, but they left their genes behind!
 Was Barcelona Lucky? - Bromptonaut
>> During our time in Spain we noticed a strong contempt for "Los Moros".

Whereabouts in Spain were you Roger?
>> >> During our time in Spain we noticed a strong contempt for "Los Moros".
>>
>> Whereabouts in Spain were you Roger?
>>
Costa del Sol, west of Marbella.
 Was Barcelona Lucky? - Zero

>> During our time in Spain we noticed a strong contempt for "Los Moros".

You would, just like you persist in reading stuff that reinforces your own views on race and racism.
>>
>> >> During our time in Spain we noticed a strong contempt for "Los Moros".
>>
>> You would, just like you persist in reading stuff that reinforces your own views on
>> race and racism.
>>
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Latest Forum Posts