Non-motoring > Dog Unfriendly Pubs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 63

Dog Unfriendly Pubs - zippy
Mrs and I went for a stroll with the Llasha this afternoon and went to the pub that we usually stop at when out in that area.

They have a beer garden that is accessed from the car park and have for over 30 years allowed dogs in the beer garden.

There is now a big sign at the entrance to the garden banning all dogs (no mention of assistance dogs).

The manager refused to discuss the matter further.

Such a shame and another pub got our money instead.

Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Such a shame and another pub got our money instead.
>>

What's it called and I'll avoid it. :)
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - smokie
You may have seen that my cat wasn't well this week. I took it to the vet's in it's bag, which has mesh ends so he can see what's going on. As we sat in the waiting room the previous customer came out of the vet's room with her damn great St Bernard-like dog which took an instant interest in the bag, grunting at it (in between wheezy breathing), and slobbering and drooling all over the place, while she chatted to her mate the receptionist. Once or twice she gave a half hearted tug on the animal's lead.

Anyway neither I or my cat really wanted this attention so I stood up and said I'd wait outside, so instead she took the hint and went, and it was then that I realised that the huge really badly parked Range Rover which blocked the main entrance path to the vet was hers. I'd had to almost walk half way round the house to get in the front door. There is a paying car park directly opposite. Would have probably cost her half the cost of a dog's dinner to use it, and done them both a bit of good.

Anyway, I digress :-)

As a non-dog owner I can tell you that some of your dog owning friends would almost definitely be responsible for the ban through not keeping proper control of their pets. Not everyone likes someone's dog snuffling round their nether regions, or even just barking at anything which moves.

(btw I actually like and tolerate most dogs, it really is the owners that seem so thoughtless. Bit like kids really... :-) )
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Manatee
Many pubs are more restaurant than drinking hole these days and dogs simply do not belong there.

Local FB page today has a rant about a 12 y/o being bitten by a dog at the Beefeater, in the play area which has a no dogs notice posted. The dog owners just cleared off with dog and without apology. The comments are mainly anti, and speculating that the child must have injudiciously tried to stroke the dog or wound it up in some way.

Nothing against dogs or their owners individually, 'some of my best friends' really are dog owners, but I would much prefer that a foody-type pub discouraged them.

I hate generalising but so many owners are infatuated with their pets (fair enough) and assume that everybody else must want to love them too, to the point of being pawed, slobbered on et cetera. Said FB page has lots of "fur baby" (yuk) worship on it, and when one gets lost or stolen - which seems to happen a lot - it's as if Princess Diana has died again.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 26 Aug 17 at 19:42
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - CGNorwich
Don't mind dogs in traditional pubs as long a they are kept under control but certainly don't like them around me when I am eating. I always avoid places that advertise themselves as "dog friendly".

Dog Unfriendly Pubs - zippy
Funnily enough it was a Beefeater, so perhaps company policy has changed because of the incident?

Always keep the dog on a lead in the garden and without fail she sleeps under the table and never interferes with others.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - MD
I've just ticked this upwards as I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments expressd. I occassionally take my Herbert's to the pub, BUT if one plays up then it's back in the cage for both.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - bathtub tom
>>As we sat in the waiting room the previous customer came out of the vet's room with her damn great St Bernard-like dog which took an instant interest in the bag, grunting at it (in between wheezy breathing), and slobbering and drooling all over the place, while she chatted to her mate the receptionist. Once or twice she gave a half hearted tug on the animal's lead.

I was recently at a vets, where a yappy little rat was giving its all outside. A vet came and told the owner in no uncertain terms to remove the objectionable little thing.

Why on earth don't owners train the things nowadays?
Frequently the dog trains the owner.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Dog
>>a yappy little rat was giving its all outside

Small dog sin drome: www.lakehavenrescue.org/images/SmallDogSyndrome1.jpg

The China clay area we take our two monsters for a good run orf lead is frequented by dog walkers of all kinds.
One old chap with his Springer bitch, who I first stumbled upon some 4 years ago when he acquired said mutt is usually there hidden in some wooded area puffing on a gasper (he is a strange cove, from London)
We always know when he is in the area because his dawg is a yapper (yap,yap,yap,yap,yap!) and can be heard from quite a long way orf.

Gawd knows what the thing is like indoors - probably explains why he spends hours and hours in the woods!!
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - sooty123
No doubt had an issue in the recent past, probably a stressful one hence the lack of discussion about the policy.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Zero
Any pubs round Surrey, which is a hound owning county, that banned dogs completely would soon go out of business. Nearly all of them claim to be dog friendly, and allow dogs in the bar and the garden. They are naturally banned from any separate restaurant area.

My dog, being well trained, will only slobber round your nether regions upon command.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 26 Aug 17 at 20:02
:)
Actually ther ar comparatively few pubs anywhere that won't accept well behaved dogs. Indeed if you don't like the things it is far more difficult to fin a pub that bans dogs than one which allows them so if you a e a dog owner and occasionally come across a pub that won't accept your pet then you shouldnt really complain.
We take ours to a dog friendly pubs when we are on holiday, most are i suppose in tourist areas or anywhere near them. Ours is kept on the lead throughout the time in the pub, but he's not a pest on the lead so just has a lay down by the table. I always go in pubs advertised as dog friendly, because it's easier. Never had any complaints either way.

Those that are nervous or dislike dogs can stay away from them relatively easily. Fairly easy for people who have different ideas on pubs can stay apart.
My idea of a pub is primarily somewhere which has beer. Unfortunately my local, The Three Frogs in Wokingham, often fails that test on a Sunday night. Out of four bitter pumps, up to four have no beer each week. It's been going on for years, different managers, different excuses but the same effect. I have to go elsewhere.
That's poor smokie, what keeps the place going?
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Haywain
"That's poor smokie, what keeps the place going?"

They are the only pub that allows frogs........ though only 3 at a time.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - tyrednemotional
>> "That's poor smokie, what keeps the place going?"
>>
>> They are the only pub that allows frogs........ though only 3 at a time.
>>

...though there aren't any in on Sunday nights....
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sat 26 Aug 17 at 21:23
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Runfer D'Hills
Eventually, everything that is even slightly fun or relaxing will be banned, because someone objects. I can't help thinking that in due course, we'll all have to carry a little book of rules around with us, or at the very least have them as an app on our phones that we can refer to, because there will be too many of them for any sane person to remember.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 26 Aug 17 at 21:34
>> Eventually, everything that is even slightly fun or relaxing will be banned, because someone objects.

Fair comment. I hate banning things, in general. It's not the answer, for the reason you highlight.
>> or at the very least have them as an
>> app on our phones that we can refer to

...though, of course, mobile phones will probably be banned (as they already are in some establishments)
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Pat
I do agree Humph.

We're not dog owners, having elderly cats that need re-homing it wouldn't be fair but we do actively look for pubs and accommodation that is dog friendly.

We find that in general, the whole welcoming experience and attitude of the staff, not to mention the food seems to be better.

Of course, there is nothing better than having a nice cold glass of wine in a beer garden with a good selection of dogs to fuss) They can snuffle my nether regions any day....cue scowly faces!

Pat
Unfortunately beer garden havee become the domain of dogs and smokers rather than families so tend to avoid.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Cliff Pope

>>
>> They are the only pub that allows frogs........ though only 3 at a time.
>>

Discrimination against the toad community. Or FTN as it's now called.
What keeps the Frogs going is the ever expanding food side, combined with the relaxed attitude to 1) (annoyingly!) allowing families in the whole indoor and outdoor pub area and 2) it's "regulars".

When I moved in some years ago it was a traditional pub with saloon and public bars, and the offy in between. It's been redeveloped and one side seems to grow outwards by about 20 additional restaurant tables every few years.

There is a fair turnover of staff and despite going in there pretty much every weekend we still feel like strangers, as in none of this "Hi smokie, will it be the usual?"

It's a Green King but it's been through being a Hungry Horse and all that kind of place.

If it wasn't my local I wouldn't go there. Still, it's means we've now "found" 'Spoons, which serves some very decent beers at much reduced cost. And it's a bit of a walk, which is good for us!!
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 26 Aug 17 at 22:51
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - No FM2R
>>The Three Frogs in Wokingham,

Several million years ago I bought a Norton Dominator 99 SS about 300 yards from that pub.

Small world.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - MD
Pubs need PAYING CUSTOMERS Sooty my dear.
They do yes MD, I'm sure your driving at something?
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - R.P.
Surprising how many pubs are dog-friendly these days. Ours are certainly not a problem to anyone
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Hard Cheese
Can't think of a pub round here where we can't take the dog.

Wife and I did a five plus mile walk with the dog last night, stopped at the pub for a G&T and a pint of the local brewery's finest, came home to a quick stir fry and a movie on Amazon Prime ...
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - devonite
My local under the previous manageress used to be Dog-Friendly, She had two border Collies that lived in a kennel in the yard overnight , but were allowed full range of the Pub and garden during opening hours. Problem was She was into all this Holistic medicine and Tai-chi, and wouldn't use the proper stuff to de-flea the beggars! - many folk were being flea-bit and their dogs and homes infested, - it ended up that the Customers banned the dogs! the new managers also have dogs and have been told not to bring them in!
One of the downsides to owning a dog is that it will crap in your garden, however, the mildly Confucian upside, is that your neighbour's cat will no longer crap in your garden.

Life is full of these little anomalies isn't it?
Ours doesn't really take a dump in our garden not in the last couple of years anyway. Next doors dog won't do it anywhere other than their garden. Strange things dogs.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Robin O'Reliant
>> Ours doesn't really take a dump in our garden not in the last couple of
>> years anyway. Next doors dog won't do it anywhere other than their garden. Strange things
>> dogs.
>>
Our Lab eats the Beagles poo, sometimes when it's still on the way out.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Mon 28 Aug 17 at 16:38
Our Lab eats the Beagles poo, sometimes when it's still on the way out.
>>

Cuts down on poop bags i suppose.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - VxFan
>> Our Lab eats the Beagles poo, sometimes when it's still on the way out.

That's why it's never wise to let a dog lick you anywhere about your person, and especially never let it lick your hands or face.
>>That's why it's never wise to let a dog lick you anywhere about your person, and especially never let it lick your hands or face.

You're not a dog owner then I take it VxF.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - VxFan
>> You're not a dog owner then I take it VxF.

Used to be several years ago.
In the past people seemed content with a cat or a dog. My four neighbours have seven dogs and five cats between them. They also have fourteen cars, two vans and a motorcycle.

We have one car and a few tropical fish.
>>
>> We have one car and a few tropical fish.
>>

....one tropical fish should be enough for anyone.......

;-)
One less yesterday. Cherry Barb made a leap for freedom when the cover was off and I found him on the carpet this morning.
>> In the past people seemed content with a cat or a dog. My four neighbours
>> have seven dogs and five cats between them. They also have fourteen cars, two vans
>> and a motorcycle.

Well if i were you I would hitch up your caravan, get the flock out of there and find another municipal park or paying field to live on for a while.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 28 Aug 17 at 12:16
Barring mishaps am moving house soon. Buyer has three cats.

Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Clk Sec
Is that the new-build bungalow you mentioned some time ago?

I hope all goes well.
No. That all fell through. Took a year to find something else we liked.
Hoping to move by end of October. Thanks for the well wishes.
Staying in Norwich still?
Well he can't go back to Cromer after the other weekend, has an ASBO on him I think
Fleeing across the county line into Suffolk.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - The Melting Snowman
>> One of the downsides to owning a dog is that it will crap in your
>> garden, however, the mildly Confucian upside, is that your neighbour's cat will no longer crap
>> in your garden.
>>
>> Life is full of these little anomalies isn't it?
>>

At least cats make an attempt to bury their crap, unlike dogs who obviously get pleasure out of watching humans step in it.
The latest advice (because plastic poo bags are not bio degradable) is to carry a stick and "flick it" into undergrowth or out of harms way.

Its a real skill, it can stick to the stick, and end up whistling just pass your ear - or worse. Think humph and his rotary lawn/poo mower.
Petrol strimmer, I think you mean. One of the most satisfying things I own. ;-)
Anyway, what happened in Cromer? I must have missed that.
...I thought you weren't a fan of DPFs

(Dog-Poo Flingers)

;-)
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - R.P.
It is isn't it. We bought a Stihl last summer. Slightly too heavy duty for where we are now but is whipped out occasionally !!
I'm surprised there aren't bio degradable poo bags.
www.amazon.co.uk/biodegradable-poop-bags/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abiodegradable%20poop%20bags
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - bathtub tom
>> At least cats make an attempt to bury their crap, unlike dogs who obviously get
>> pleasure out of watching humans step in it.

Our neighbours cat doesn't. I've watched it use my gravel path and lawn. Jeyes fluid cured the first and a combination of citrus peel and coffee grounds seems to be working on the lawn, although the water blaster may have something to do with it.
A semi or indeed fully concealed poo, is far more dangerous than an entirely visible one. Bit like land mines.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - legacylad
I took one of my regular late afternoon/evening walks yesterday, from Gigg over to the hamlet of Feizor via Smearsett Scar. I walked past 5 lots of poo in bags, open country so grassy paths and a few short tracks. One ( pink) poo bag was actually hung on a low branch of a large shrub. FFS who in their right mind would do that? I did consider taking a photo and emailing it to the local rag, the Craven Herald.
When I had a dog I always picked up the poo in a bag, then double bagged it in a strong carrier before disposing in a 'dog poo bin' of which there are two along the walk.
I also pick up cans, empty plastic bottles, and sometimes firewood when near the end of the walk
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Duncan
>> I also pick up cans, empty plastic bottles, and sometimes firewood when near the end
>> of the walk

Sometimes, we chaps in the South simply don't realise how tough you chaps oop North have it.
>> One ( pink) poo bag was actually hung on a low branch of a large shrub

As I've said before - I've done that some years back. I threw the (black) bag into the into the thick hedge in an out-of-the-way area, but the bag got snagged on a branch and I couldn't retrieve it.

No-way do peops hang poo bags on shrubs on porpoise.

I used to pick up discarded litter from my little Cornish country lane, mostly takeaway cartons and energy (sugar) drinks bottles & tins. I've even bin known to take a carrier bag with me Justin Case.

Don't bother now - gotta look after ya own, knowlmean.
 Dog Unfriendly Pubs - Hard Cheese

>>
>> No-way do peops hang poo bags on shrubs on porpoise.
>>

Yep, hang it on way, pick it up on way back ...

>> Yep, hang it on way, pick it up on way back ...

We always do a circular walk.
Latest Forum Posts