Non-motoring > Ok, it's only fourpence Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 77

Ok, it's only fourpence - Crankcase
We're on holiday. I bought some stuff in the local Tesco yesterday. On checking the receipt afterwards, I noticed an entry for "charity round up", which added 4p to my bill.

My Tesco doesn't do this (I do always check the receipts) and I've never heard of it before. I don't object to the fourpence, clearly, but I would like to have been asked or made aware by a sign somewhere, and I'd certainly like to know the charity.

Have you all been doing "charity round ups" in this way for years and I've missed the memo?

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 08:42
 Ok, it's only fourpence - R.P.
Good grief no.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - rtj70
Our local Tesco's was asking about rounding up the bills to give to charity - but it did ask at least.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - Hard Cheese
Perhaps it depends where you're on holiday:

Mountain rescue
Boatman's benevolent society
Ice-cream man's retirement fund
Donkey's home
 Ok, it's only fourpence - Zero
>> Perhaps it depends where you're on holiday:
>>
>> Mountain rescue
>> Boatman's benevolent society
>> Ice-cream man's retirement fund
>> Donkey's home

What about ice cream for mountain rescue donkeys by benevolent boatmen?
Did you pay by card? they add a sneaky extra option on the card reader sequence you need to read carefully.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - Fursty Ferret
Mine's just started doing this. It's for some charity walk, and since I have a fairly firm policy of not sponsoring people to go on holiday, I declined.

Would have far more success if they offered a list of charity partners on the self-checkout screen.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - CGNorwich
Seems an excellent and painless way to rise money for local charities to me. Would expect it to be mentioned or some sort of notice and I guess that is the Tesco policy but sometimes staff do make mistakes as do we all.
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 13:18
I;d rather have a say in it though.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - henry k
>>Seems an excellent and painless way to rise money for local charities to me.

Hmm!!! Cheaper than giving to charity from plastic bag sales.
Another bean counter / PR idea?

IIRC Tesco dodge this by no longer selling 5p bags and only bags for life available.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - VxFan
>> My Tesco doesn't do this

Nor does mine thankfully.

>> I don't object to the fourpence, clearly, but I would like to have been asked or made aware by a sign somewhere

Why not contact them and ask? I've found Twitter to be a good way of contacting them. They don't like too much negative publicity and are quick to respond.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - No FM2R
I'd be p***** off if the didn't ask.

It is a very common approach here. A peso is about 1/8 penny and a silly little coin. Even the 5 peso coin is no bigger, and probably smaller than 1/2p (the new pence coin) so very small change is a PITA.

But they *always* ask.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 10:29
(the new pence coin)

How old do you think we are ? :-)
Very.

I guess writing 1/2p rather than 1/2d meant the explanation wasn't needed, but hey, its not even 7.00am here yet. I am staring at this screen through coffee fumes.
Where in Chile are you?
 Ok, it's only fourpence - Clk Sec
One of my building society's has been doing this for a few years now. I can't remember whether or not I was asked, but it's only a few pennies.
Clk Sec, the apostrophe makes me wonder whether or not I should report your post as offensive.

You should be ashamed.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 11:43
 Ok, it's only fourpence - Dog
One has to make allowances for those who aren't ejamacated to our level.

I noticed yesterday some clowns, like Xero, used the word breath instead of breathe, but I let it go.

(*_*)
Not everybody is good at english. Some are gooder, but much people is not.

It are a shame, but the day when good english were spoke are went.
"gooder"

Shirley that should be "betterer" ?
 Ok, it's only fourpence - Runfer D'Hills
If that's what yourself thinks. From where you are sat.
;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 17:57
"Yourself" another hugely misused annoyance. "Should Of" instead of "should have"...grrr..a number of youngsters in the office use "gotten" as well..grrrrrrrrr
Gotten is at least as old as got but now only used in N America where they use both. Gotten is used in a slightly different way to got though
I appreciate that CG - but their usage isn't archaic - it's because they watch so many US TV shows I fear
I guess it's inevitable that American usages enter the language. Don't really mind gotten.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - The Melting Snowman
>> Clk Sec, the apostrophe makes me wonder whether or not I should report your post
>> as offensive.
>>
>> You should be ashamed.
>>

"but hey, its not even 7.00am here yet."

Pot, kettle, black?
>> You should be ashamed.
>>

Cobbler's...
 Ok, it's only fourpence - Manatee
Not to mention the spelling of "societies".
>> Not to mention the spelling of "societies".

I’m surprised that the usually knowledgeable fellow further up thread had not spotted this huge error, but it was pleasing to see that his comments were accompanied by a little humour.

Made me chuckle, anyway.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - The Melting Snowman
>> >> Not to mention the spelling of "societies".
>>
>> I’m surprised that the usually knowledgeable fellow further up thread had not spotted this huge
>> error, but it was pleasing to see that his comments were accompanied by a little
>> humour.
>>
>> Made me chuckle, anyway.

I would imaging he's feeling a bit embarrassed about the situation.

I have never understood why people have such difficulty with apostrophe's. Its not that hard, is it?

>> I would imaging he's feeling a bit embarrassed about the situation.

That could have gone better, huh.
>> Not to mention the spelling of "societies".

Well duh, how about that, it didn't even register. I was probably all excited because I found the apostrophe.

Oh well, one of the many pitfalls of trying to be a smart a***.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 9 Sep 17 at 13:25
>> it's only a few pennies.

As loads of mums used to say "Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves"

>> As loads of mums used to say "Look after the pennies and the pounds will
>> look after themselves"
>>

Surely one of the most useless bits of advice ever.

>> Surely one of the most useless bits of advice ever.

ok, look at it another way.

If you concentrate on saving small amounts of money, you'll soon amass a large amount.
Really? Saving for the future such as a pension or a deposit for a house requires you to sacrifice a meaningful proportion of your income. Saving your small change won't provide for a comfortable future

On the other hand a lot of people seem to worry about saving a few pence on this and that at the supermarket yet spend tens of thousands on a new car or other major expenditures without given it a second thought.

Look after the pounds and don't quibble about the small change would be better advice!
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 13:40

>> Look after the pounds and don't quibble about the small change would be better advice!

When this saying came into being, its was of a time, and for people, where pounds were virtually unobtainable and pennies were all they had.

>> When this saying came into being, its was of a time, and for people, where
>> pounds were virtually unobtainable and pennies were all they had.
>>

Well I'm updating it to make it suitable for this modern digital media age
>>
>> >> When this saying came into being, its was of a time, and for people,
>> where
>> >> pounds were virtually unobtainable and pennies were all they had.
>> >>
>>
>> Well I'm updating it to make it suitable for this modern digital media age

Well done. Good to see someone is keeping with the times.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - Manatee
Penny wise, pound foolish. That's me.
Right now, Santiago, but I move about
Why do you move about?

I fancy sailing the south west coast, from Puerto Montt through the the Parque Nacional Bernardo O'Higgins etc and down to Puerto Arenas and the Tierra del Fuego ...
Why not move about? It makes life a bit more interesting.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - MD
And helps one's waistline.
And reduces the risk of him being caught ;)
Were it my concern, moving around actually *increases* your chances of being noticed.
>> Were it my concern, moving around actually *increases* your chances of being noticed.

Indeed, despite the fact someone once said to me

>> Quantity doesn't equal quality
>>Sadly I think its the sort of error that most people make these days. In all areas.

Cant remember where I read that.
It was shortly after you were boasting about your activities by listing some quantities involved.

Memory fading as well?

>> Memory fading as well?

No just much more selective.
Worrying in a way.

I don't think teenage me would be very impressed by old me.
>> Why not move about? It makes life a bit more interesting.
>>

I guess I prefer to have a base and venture out from there ...
Its not an either / or its just simple convenience. And I too prefer a base, we just have more than one.

If we want to be at the beach, in the mountains, in the forest, in the city, etc. etc., then we use the house most convenient for whichever we choose.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 13:50
>> then we use the house most convenient for whichever we choose.
>>

So how many houses do you have?
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 14:59
Its getting a bit personal, isn't it?
>> Its getting a bit personal, isn't it?
>>

OK, you alluded to a number of houses, let's leave it at that. There's no doubt that Chile is a great place to move around in. As I say I have ambitions to spend some time in the south west, it's probably in my top three destinations to do though whether that means it will get done is another matter.
>> >> Its getting a bit personal, isn't it?
>> >>
>>
>> OK, you alluded to a number of houses, let's leave it at that. There's no
>> doubt that Chile is a great place to move around in.

He has one house really, but Chile is geographically and meteorologically unstable that the house moves about a bit.
I hate earthquakes. Very unnerving things.

But rather than metrological or geographical, perhaps you mean geologically?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 15:40
go drink some gin while its still stable enough to pour it.
Ok, but only because you told me to.
>> He has one house really, but Chile is geographically and meteorologically unstable that the house moves about a bit.
>>

Do you mean geologically and tectonically?

None taken.

>>, let's leave it at that

Let's.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - smokie
My local Tesco has a few perspex bins near the entrance where people put plastic discs, I think that is a voting system about where some money goes but I have no idea what money they are talking about.
>> My local Tesco has a few perspex bins near the entrance where people put plastic discs,

Ours has these too. The till operatives keep forgetting to hand out the plastic discs though.

Above each the bins it tells you what charity or fund raising event you're voting for. There is a similar scheme in the local Waitrose too.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - sooty123
>> >> My local Tesco has a few perspex bins near the entrance where people put
>> plastic discs,
>>
>

we've got them at the local asda, although I've never been given one. I suppose you have to ask?
 Ok, it's only fourpence - rtj70
I think the local charities you voted for with the plastic disks (Waitrose does this as well) were getting the money from the 5p carrier bags.... so now there are no 5p carrier bags will they stop supporting the charities locally?

The charity donation when paying (rounding up to the nearest 10p) seems to be a national campaign - something about a sponsored walk between John O'Groats and Lands End - the Great Tesco Walk.

www.thegreattescowalk.com/the-route

It is also only for a month.
The Great Tesco Walk is surely when they decide to move the bread and put the milk where the candles used to be for absolutely no discernible reason, then two weeks later move it all back, taking the opportunity to add 10p to every price and withdraw two of your favourite products.

Good luck getting a delicious Vesta Beef Curry from them these days. Or a Birds Eye Rissole. Or a Findus Crispy Pancake.

>> Good luck getting a delicious Vesta Beef Curry from them these days. Or a Birds
>> Eye Rissole. Or a Findus Crispy Pancake.

Still got Angel Delight tho.
>> Or a Findus Crispy Pancake.

My local Tesco stocks them.

Regarding the "charity round up" from the first post in this thread:- I was in Tesco last night, went through the self service tills, and after scanning my shopping and pressing the 'finish & pay' button, I was presented with a message on the screen asking if I would like to round up my £18.81 bill to £18.90 for Tesco's diabetes charity walk.

So it does appear that Tesco do ask you and not just go ahead and do it. Going through a till operative however might well be different and they 'might' decide for you. Wrong if they do though.
I don't do shopping but, the ole woman was in Tesco's this morning; they asked her if she wanted to 'round up' her bill, which she did. So I'm 3p poorer today. Dunno what charity it was for though.
>> Dunno what charity it was for though.

Diabetes UK and the British Heart Foundation.

tescocharitypartnership.org.uk/
Ah, a good cause then. Wifey says it's a good idea.
 Ok, it's only fourpence - MD
I'd like to be given one without asking!
I might ask them when I get back to civilisation. Thanks for the Twitter suggestion...

Funnily enough, I just deleted my Twitter account a few days ago. This was partly because I could never work out how to use it, and partly because even when I was pretty sure I was using it correctly, nobody I ever tweeted (local police, council etc) ever replied. I then assumed either it's now dead as a communication medium and nobody looks at it anymore, or indeed, I don't know how to use it.

The final straw was when I tweeted something by mistake, couldn't work out how to delete it, finally found what I thought was the button to push and it told me I'd now blocked this person and I'd never see any of their tweets again. As the person was me, it all started to get a bit circular, and I looked up how to ditch the b***** thing.

I am not built for social media, that's for sure. I had a similar experience with Facebook a few years ago. Soon got rid of that too.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 8 Sep 17 at 16:00
Twitter use is apparently dropping where as Instagram, Whatsap and Facebook are all growing.

>> I then assumed either it's now dead as a communication medium
>> and nobody looks at it anymore, or indeed,

What? Dead communication? Trump got elected and now runs a country on twitter!

And much as parents using Facebook caused their children to atop, I think Trump is tarnishing Twiiter.

Or at least I hope so. Hate the thing, can't get on with it, its rubbish.
It suits trump because of his limited vocabulary and attention span.
>> I would like to have been asked or made aware by a sign somewhere,

You're not alone apparently.

www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2017/09/shopping-at-tesco-this-month-your-bill-will-be-rounded-up-for-charity
Latest Forum Posts