Non-motoring > It's that time of year again! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 16

It's that time of year again! - Roger.
Yes, folks it's time for a bunch of Z list "celebs." to be paraded onto the Strictly Come Dancing stage.

I shall suffer this ordure until Xmas, as SWMBO just loves it.

Still, I will take out my hearing aids, go into deaf mode and play around on my laptop.
Bookworm & Bubbleshooter fill time better :-)
Harrumph.
 It's that time of year again! - No FM2R
I find SCD more boring that I can say. But at least it is the BBC doing what they are supposed to do. And if you like that kind of dancing, then the show seems to be very good (or so my aged Aunts tell me).
 It's that time of year again! - Robin O'Reliant
God, how I hate it.

Dross TV at it's worst.
 It's that time of year again! - Pat
I've never watched it and can't imagine wanting to!

Pat
 It's that time of year again! - Dog
The ole woman watches it with the sound orf + subtitles while I have my back to the TV.
Some of the birds look fit though I've noticed.
 It's that time of year again! - Ted

Urghhhhh. I don't think SwM is particularly bothered by it...I hate it all, plus Big Bro, I'm not a celebrity ,etc.

Still, at least BBc4 put out some good stuff on Saturday evening....historical and wildlife...then the best detective show, Montelbano. Except for the white subtitles !
 It's that time of year again! - R.P.
Thank goodness you have two channels/televisions - Not watched in our house. We had a choir gig in Birkenhead of all places. Seriously, what a beautiful place. Massive park upon which Great Central Park in New York was based.
 It's that time of year again! - Old Navy
Last night of the Proms? Good music ruined by wierdos in fancy dress with air horns and klaxons. It takes all sorts, watching or listening is not compulsory. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 10 Sep 17 at 08:45
 It's that time of year again! - hjd
I was there, no fancy dress, air horns or klaxons. No need to watch if you don't want to.
Many nationalities represented, we were between a German couple (EU flags) and an American couple (one waving Union Jack, one waving a teatowel with God Save the Queen on it - when asked, they claimed not to have the US flag as they were ashamed of their President). In front a party of 4, 3 Danes and one Englishman, behind us four loud English people.
A good time was had by all.
SW Railways nearly caused us to be late - luckily we made it despite their best efforts.
>> Last night of the Proms? Good music ruined by wierdos in fancy dress with air
>> horns and klaxons. It takes all sorts, watching or listening is not compulsory. :-)
>>
 It's that time of year again! - R.P.
We weren't in the Proms thing. We were part of an all day concert to do with WW1.
 It's that time of year again! - Bromptonaut
>> Last night of the Proms? Good music ruined by wierdos in fancy dress with air
>> horns and klaxons. It takes all sorts, watching or listening is not compulsory. :-)

Watched whole thing on telly. Fancy dress has no effect on music. Horns etc were restricted to intervals and appropriate times in second half - which is the rubbish bit anyway if you're a purist for the music.

PS Is it just me or has Dame Evelyn Glennie aged suddenly?
 It's that time of year again! - Focal Point
Much though I love the Proms and try to get to at least one every year, I would not be at the Last Night even if you gave me a ticket. It's just a rather silly jamboree, carried out with an intensity that is positively weird, though if people want to take part, best of luck to them.

I'm slightly uncomfortable about the politicisation - the pro-EU stuff and all that - but if people need to wave a few flags (handed out by an anti-Brexit group) in order to have a good time, best of luck to them. And of course, in a strangely perverse way, quite a few Union flags were waved as well, as always.
 It's that time of year again! - Rudedog
+1 on the Montelbano! Far better than the overly dark Scando programmes, shame BBC4 only tend to show small batches of them, we often have to watch them over again just to catch the side stories within the main story line, very enjoyable.
 It's that time of year again! - Runfer D'Hills
I seem to have lost interest in the TV again. Growing up in a house with only one TV, which was pretty much always on, when programmes were available anyway, I took against having one when I got my first property of my own. I didn't get a TV at all until I was well into my mid-30s and only then at the insistence of my second, and so far current wife.

I suppose I can't deny having enjoyed some programmes, but by and large I'm happier with it switched off. Don't mind mainly Friday night TV, when there's things like QI and Have I got news for you etc on. Quite enjoy wildlife and science documentaries etc too but to be truthful, I find the radio more to my tastes, in that you can still do other things while still being entertained or informed by it.

My wife likes the TV more than I do, and favours all the gruesome murder mystery type programmes, particularly those where they cut up and forensically analyse dead bodies it seems. Not for me I'm afraid.

My evenings revolve around cooking, going for a swim, walking the dog, tinkering with bikes etc. Rarely sit down much before going to bed, and if I do, I tend to fall asleep in a chair anyway and miss chunks of whatever it was I was attempting to watch!

I'd quite happily do away with the things again, but I don't suppose that would be permitted.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 10 Sep 17 at 17:54
 It's that time of year again! - sooty123
Thanks, I liked the few montelbano shows that I watched. I'll have a look tonight and see if there's any new ones.
 It's that time of year again! - rtj70
I am guessing you've not watched all 11 series. It started in 1999 and they're movie length episodes. So sometimes 4 episode a series but often only 2.... total so far about 30.

There's always young Montalbano too.

EDIT: Just checked and they are currently showing series 4 on BBC 4/iPlayer.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 10 Sep 17 at 20:48
 It's that time of year again! - sooty123
Its been a while since I watched it last and I thought the actor was a lot older than I remember. It must have been young montalbano that I watched. Do you know if it's available anywhere anymore. I think watched them on bbc four.
Latest Forum Posts