Non-motoring > Irma Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 8

Irma - Robin O'Reliant
Just been watching live coverage on CNN. Chuffin' hell, it's frightening just seeing it on the screen, it must be absolutely terrifying for those poor people caught up in it. I hope we don't catch the tail end of it.
 Irma - TheManWithNoName
Having strong gusts in the garden yesterday which nearly took the tarpaulins off the rabbit's hutches was bad enough. Can't imagine what a full blown cat 4 or 5 hurricane is like.

Did I hear correctly that some of the, er, shall we say less intelligent members of the community were firing guns in the air in some effort to ward off the winds?
 Irma - Roger.
Did we actually have a summer this year, or did I miss it one afternoon while having a siesta?
 Irma - No FM2R
According to Daughter No. 1 it has rained every day since she arrived, though not all day.

A shame, because the UK is such a beautiful place in the sun.
 Irma - Old Navy
The summer was while I was in the south a couple of months ago, 34°C for four days, too hot! :-)
 Irma - Zero
remember that 34c weekend, did a two day dog show, and had to have a plant mister on hand to keep the dog cool between exercises.
 Irma - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41234292
The before and after photos near the bottom give a graphic indication of the impact.

"About 6.5 million homes in Florida, two-thirds of the total, are without power "
40+ inhabited islands and only a few of the 42 bridges ( one is seven miles long )in the Florida Keys have so far been inspected.
Power lines everywhere need at least making safe and main roads need to be cleared of fallen trees.

Still folks are saying I will not evacuate next time :-(
 Irma - sooty123
Seems the carribean has been hit pretty hard as well and the government has come in for some criticism, seems from what I've read though they've done a good job. They can't get to everyone straight away, but I guess not everyone gets that.
 Irma - smokie
Never fear Sooty, we are sending out them our very best man. I'm sure once they meet him that the locals will be most reassured that we are taking their plight seriously....

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41236692

Latest Forum Posts