Non-motoring > BBC. where some of the money goes. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 11

BBC. where some of the money goes. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/angela_merkel

A bit OTT ?
 BBC. where some of the money goes. - sherlock47
A very readable article filling in a lot of holes in my knowledge. Not sure that I would have found/read it without you prompting. Thankyou.

Last edited by: sherlock47 on Tue 12 Sep 17 at 16:10
 BBC. where some of the money goes. - R.P.
Brilliant briefing !
 BBC. where some of the money goes. - Dutchie
She tries to keep a lid on Putin he speaks fluent German.

Very clever lady the Germans know this.
 BBC. where some of the money goes. - smokie
The Beeb has published some really good business information articles, for instance this one on the difference between the free trade area, the single market and customs union. www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36083664

I've no idea if such articles are outside their remit, but they are usually in a clear and unbiased style and as such I think it's money well spent. After all, they are probably written by a well-informed hack who is already being paid to produce words, so no additional cost...
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 13 Sep 17 at 20:08
Here's another, on the Cassini project. A good read...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/cassini_huygens_saturn
And now, Angela merkel

www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/angela_merkel
 BBC. where some of the money goes. - Roger.
I know I don't pay for my TV licence, but nevertheless, the visible waste of money evident irks me as it must affect programme quality and investment.
My main gripe is the entirely superfluous practice of sending a reporter/analyst and camera operator to give a piece to camera, standing outside a building which has little relevance to the discussion other than the fact that it labels the origin of the report.
Many, many, of these pieces could be given just as well and with no less relevance in a studio, thus saving taxi fares.

BBC. where some of the money goes. - zippy
If you take that to its logical conclusion, much of the news could be done without video at all, just like on the radio.
 BBC. where some of the money goes. - Roger.
Yes, indeed.
 BBC. where some of the money goes. - sooty123
Must be something in it though, doesn't pretty much every news channel do the same format?
 BBC. where some of the money goes. - henry k
>> I know I don't pay for my TV licence, but nevertheless, the visible waste of
>> money evident irks me as it must affect programme quality and investment.
>>
I am in the same situation except I experience it some 50+ years ago when I was employed by the BBC in engineering
The department would not challenge the boffins when we had to put a bit of kit into production.
Some components like common resistors had to be specially made at vast expense.
!00 pair cable had its own unique colour code when the standard GPO cable would do the job
All tin covers made on site were sprayed on site to Rolls Royce standards and only ever seen by a few staff or less when positioned at a transmitter site up a mountain.
We made high spec reference speaker cabinets for snr managers offices.
Computerised stores with 20/30 char ID for a bog standard nut or bolt instead of " pool stores"
i.e grab a handful , the job will have a built in misc odds n sods cost.
Buying totally over the top spec audio recorders so the UK makes could not supply then our first job was to disable some of the bells & wistles

So it went on, all totally OTT

When I handed in my notice the GM asked what he could do to make me stay.
" If I am allowed to make savings I will happily take a %. He was not amused.
Latest Forum Posts