Non-motoring > I've just passed the 11 Plus Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 35

I've just passed the 11 Plus - Ambo
But with only 19/20.

www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/could-get-grammar-school-take-short-11-plus-find/
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - smokie
I managed 'em all, no pen and paper either!!

I can't remember if it was more or less difficult than when I did it though... :-(

But I did pass...
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 12:56
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - devonite
I got into Grammar school on the test, so how come I went to Secondary? proof that age does know better!!
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - movilogo
I was expecting harder questions for 11+ grammar school entrance.
Last edited by: movilogo on Thu 14 Sep 17 at 13:25
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - DP
20/20. Used a pen and paper for the long division and a couple of the multiplication questions.

Bear in mind, this is typically taken by 10 year olds, it's pretty tough. I'm going to try it with mine when she's back from a school trip this weekend.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Pat
I got 19/20 all without pen & paper too!

The English questions for me, were certainly easier than some of the Maths.

Pat
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - sooty123
Got 16, 1 of the maths questions I got wrong and three of the English ones wrong.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Fursty Ferret
19/20. Stupid possessive pronouns. :-(

The maffs seemed quite easy, but then again I'm not 11. Are you allowed pen and paper for working out, or does that count as cheating?
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - smokie
At 11 you are...
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Haywain
I was a bit wary of doing this having passed the real thing in 1959 (a year under-age), and knowing that I peaked too early. I got 20/20.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Ted

I passed mine in 1957 and went to a boys only grammar. No way am I gonna do it again !
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Pat
I passed mine in 1957 and went to a mixed grammar school.

Pat
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Ted

I had my first drink a year later on a cross channel ferry, lager I think, then promptly barffed it up over the side !
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - hawkeye
20/20

Never took 11+ as a child. Private school.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Manatee
20/20, surprised I didn't trip up. I must have passed the 11+ in 1963, can't say I remember anything about it. Maybe I just got on the wrong bus and ended up at the grammar.

I have a vague recollection though that the 11+ in those days was an IQ test - shapes and what not.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Cliff Pope
20/20
I had to think carefully about the How much bigger number question - did it mean absolutely or as a fraction? So many published increases now are expressed as % gowth or X times the risk of something.
So I picked the only one that appeared in the answers.

I never took the 11-plus. My school was Common Entrance at 13 or it's own entrance exams at 11.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - CGNorwich
There was an IQ test paper as well as as an English and Arithmetic paper - I'm pretty sure it was not called Mathematics.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - R.P.
19/20 - I made a schoolboy error
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Mapmaker
When I took the 11 Plus there were 100 multiple-choice questions, with English, Maths and IQ all mixed up together.

The IQ-type test practice stood me in good stead for a post-University job applications and I got 100% on it ("I've never seen anybody else do as well on this test," said the interviewer. The job was mine on the back of the 11 Plus preparation over a decade before.)
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Mike Hannon
I passed it in 1961 and went to a pathetic single sex grammar school that wanted to pretend it was a public school. Worst thing I ever did. Thank heavens it's history.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - zippy
19/20.

There was no grammar school in my town.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Harleyman
19/20. Would love to see anyone younger than me (I'm 57) do any of the maths questions without a calculator.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Crankcase
20, about seven minutes, all in my head (with extra muttering though) while Mrs C was talking on phone in the next chair.

Didn't do the 11+ at the time. I guess I did Common Entrance, can't really recall now.

No calculators, and younger than Harleyman.

I've just passed the 11 Plus - Lygonos
20, 5 minutes - all in head and in mid 40s H-man ;-)

Took a gamble on German and won
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Harleyman

>> No calculators, and younger than Harleyman.
>>
>>
>>

Try getting your kids to do it. Personal experience in the recruitment business gives me a low opinion of the standards of mental arithmetic taught (or not, as the case may be) in today's schools.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Crankcase

>> Try getting your kids to do it. Personal experience in the recruitment business gives me
>> a low opinion of the standards of mental arithmetic taught (or not, as the case
>> may be) in today's schools.
>>

Ah, well, luckily for me, I don't know any kids. I don't think I've even spoken to a child since leaving school, in any significant way.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - CGNorwich
That is the most extraordinary statement I have read on this forum.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - sooty123
Oh I don't know about that. There's always one or two on here that shun or haven't done very frequent or common activities. It crops up a fair bit.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 16 Sep 17 at 08:12
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Zero
>> That is the most extraordinary statement I have read on this forum.

I'm sure its not.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - tyrednemotional
>> That is the most extraordinary statement I have read on this forum.
>>

....it's the injunction.......

;-)
I was thinking that as well. No calculator for me.Used a system I was taught. Estimate the answer - narrow the calculation down thereafter. :-)
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Zero

>> Estimate the answer - narrow the calculation down thereafter. :-)

Ditto.
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - zippy
>> 19/20. Would love to see anyone younger than me (I'm 57) do any of the
>> maths questions without a calculator.
>>

I am, and I just used pen and paper.
I avoided doing that to prove a point to myself :-)
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - No FM2R
Younger than you, did the whole thing in my head while lying in bed. 20/20. Don't know how long. 4 or 5 minutes I'd guess.

I will let my 12yr old do it in the morning.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 16 Sep 17 at 03:46
 I've just passed the 11 Plus - Cliff Pope
>> I just used pen and paper.
>>

No need. You multiply say the first digits so you know it ends in 8, which eliminates two of the answers. Then the next, which narrows the answer down to only one.
That's the point with multiple choice - you don't need to know anything, just progressively eliminate the possibilities that don't fit.
It's not like a real exam.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Sat 16 Sep 17 at 09:33
Latest Forum Posts